Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

biceps crimes posted:

loving kill me if i had to attend a daily hour long stand-up

They say weekly right in the post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

StumblyWumbly posted:

They say weekly right in the post

sorry, it was a stress reaction to memories of having had to attend a daily one hour standup in the past

biceps crimes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 9, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
You can just do what my company does; schedule them for 15 minutes and have the PO frequently hijack the meeting with extraneous 45-minute long discussions that don't involve everyone :thumbsup:

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
The trick there is to say, after 15 minutes, "I have to go, I've got a clashing meeting right now".

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Sorry, I need to drop now, please reach out if you still need me for something thanks"

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Any meeting where I don't know why I'm supposed to be there I just skip. Like, if you didn't explain it before inviting or the invite is clear.

Team lead backed us up on it and told us to send anyone complaining to him.

I don't think you could get any work done if you didn't do some form of this. Company is big enough that I could fill each day with random pointless meetings if I wanted to.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

the people at my last job would not leave meetings early unless you kicked them out by name. it would be a 2 person conversation and they'd just be there listening

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I worked with a dev who demanded to be in every meeting attended by anyone on the team, else we were unfairly excluding them and limiting their ability to succeed.

They spent all day every day in meetings. They then complained that they were in too many meetings and couldn't get work done. I would scope meetings to not require them to ease the meeting load and they'd rant about it to everybody who would listen.

Like a masochist eating reaper peppers despite not liking spicy food.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Volmarias posted:

"Sorry, I need to drop now, please reach out if you still need me for something thanks"

I basically have this on a macro

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Need an opinion or two, goons.

I work remote and I've done so with a sorta-jank setup - I have my work laptop set up on my desk, and I RDP to it from my personal desktop. Work stuff stays on work device, personal stuff stays on personal device, I can shitpost to my heart's content without worrying that CorpIT is monitoring my E/N posts. Do you think this is blurring the "keep personal and work stuff separate" line too much? There have been some new security measures rolled out recently that have made this more difficult, and I'm wondering if that's enough impetus to start trying to draw a more coherent line.

Main downside is that I don't have space for another work space, so no matter what I have to reuse my current peripherals, which means KVM or unplugging, each of which has been a huge pain in the past for me

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I've got two monitors and I move my desktop's windows over to the side monitor and then switch inputs on the main monitor to my work laptop. Using a separate mouse & kb for the laptop, bluetooth so it's easier to cleanup after work hours.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I used to use software that turns a simple usb switch and a monitor that accepts multiple inputs (ie basically all of them) into a KVM switch:
https://github.com/haimgel/display-switch

I only stopped because I no longer wfh full time and unplugging my dock a few times per week is no big deal.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I have no idea if it's any good these days, but I used to use Synergy to use one set of inputs across multiple computers.

Jamus
Feb 10, 2007
On the topic of project methodologies:

I’ve very very recently been put in charge of a small team of developers at a largeish tech company (you’ve definitely heard of it).

The only rule I’ve been given so far is “do your weekly prioritisation meeting on the same day as the others teams” and “here’s a backlog you’ve inherited, try and balance that against new work, use your judgement”. I’m going to use this as an opportunity to run a team in the way I’ve always wanted to see one run. I’m looking forward to seeing how this all falls apart on me!

(Spoiler: it’s going to be surprise pressure to scrum out of nowhere, or I’m going to get fired for tanking productivity)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
When I run teams I prefer to meet twice per week as a team (1 hr first meeting, 30 min second meeting) and once per week with every member (30 mins). I would run sprints but it's more about making sure people have enough to do and priorities were set, not as an expectation that they'll finish everything assigned to them. This worked well with a team of ~10 people.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

biceps crimes posted:

one guy on the team that had to dump every piece of detritus out of his skull onto the team. I had x meeting with n. Did a with b.

I worked with a guy like that once. I mentioned it to a colleague who said “oh yeah he used to work for a terrible micromanager who was always unjustifiably on his rear end for not doing enough work, and those granular updates are the only thing that would shut the guy up.” It put a little different spin on it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

I work remote and I've done so with a sorta-jank setup - I have my work laptop set up on my desk, and I RDP to it from my personal desktop. Work stuff stays on work device, personal stuff stays on personal device, I can shitpost to my heart's content without worrying that CorpIT is monitoring my E/N posts. Do you think this is blurring the "keep personal and work stuff separate" line too much? There have been some new security measures rolled out recently that have made this more difficult, and I'm wondering if that's enough impetus to start trying to draw a more coherent line.

Main downside is that I don't have space for another work space, so no matter what I have to reuse my current peripherals, which means KVM or unplugging, each of which has been a huge pain in the past for me

I've been doing exactly that for 11 years and it's fine as long as you have discipline to not gently caress around all day instead of working.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ChickenWing posted:

I spent the start of the pandemic with that reversed. I'd use my personal device for everything and synergy later RDP into the work desktop. That way only work items hit the work device. RDP was corporate approved synergy was a don't ask / don't tell. Nowadays I do 99.8% of work on my personal device since it's all meetings, jira, confluence, sharepoint, o365 etc... and if I actually need to do anything with git/perforce beyond looking at a PR I'll break out a laptop and VPN in. Ensuring no personal device VPN access is how I manage the divide.

Difficulty: I'm a full time manager with no IC directors, or IC skips.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Okay wicked glad to know I'm not crazy. Desperately wish I could do some work stuff on my personal but there are a whole lot of security measures that require connection from a corporate issued device - rip any productivity with jira/confluence/etc lol

Synergy sounds interesting - worth the $30?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's really cool and works flawlessly

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChickenWing posted:

On which side of the mossad / not mossad threat analysis is your workplace?

ChickenWing posted:

Synergy sounds interesting - worth the $30?

Yes.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Popping in to lol that our restaurant group also subscribes to "agile" methodology and the implementation is exactly as stupid as it sounds.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My downstairs neighbor is a newspaper editor, and they’re using scrum, and he hates it.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

lifg posted:

My downstairs neighbor is a newspaper editor, and they’re using scrum, and he hates it.

at first i struggled to imagine this - perhaps they're just having a lot of meetings and using agile verbiage? then i realized that's exactly how it works in the software world unless you're a true scotsman.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
There's a lot of dumb management stuff, but one of the dumbest is that connecting with people and saying "You're actually doing the thing I asked you to do yesterday, right?" can help more than it hurts. If done correctly.

The dumb thing that works against scrum is that meetings will naturally grow and wander around unless someone tries to prevent that.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Volmarias posted:

On which side of the mossad / not mossad threat analysis is your workplace?

I'm not 100% certain what this question is actually asking but there's some pretty intense baseline security that's expected because we are not a huge company so when a notable client says "hop" we say "how high?". However, especially where devs are concerned, security's policy seems to be "take as much rope as we can give you and if you hang yourself so be it"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

If you don't understand the question the answer is probably "not Mossad."

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
For context, the question essentially is "do you need to defend against nation-state intelligence agencies (such as Israel's Mossad) deciding that it's in their national interest to penetrate your company's network".

If you're "not a huge company" and you're not working on like, centrifuge control software for your government's clandestine nuclear program, then you're probably on the "not Mossad" side of the line.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lifg posted:

This is funny because "media scrum" is a term that I believe predates scrum in terms of software development, though it's more of a commonwealth term.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If you don't understand the question the answer is probably "not Mossad."

I'm not sure if this paper by James Mickens is the original source of the concept, but it's funny so I'll link it.

quote:

In the real world, threat models are much simpler (see Figure 1). Basically, you’re either dealing with Mossad or not-Mossad. If your adversary is not-Mossad, then you’ll probably be fine if you pick a good password and don’t respond to emails from ChEaPestPAiNPi11s[@]virus-basket.biz.ru. If your adversary is the Mossad, YOU’RE GONNA DIE AND THERE’S NOTHING THAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. The Mossad is not intimidated by the fact that you employ https://. If the Mossad wants your data, they’re going to use a drone to replace your cellphone with a piece of uranium that’s shaped like a cellphone, and when you die of tumors filled with tumors, they’re going to hold a press conference and say “It wasn’t us” as they wear t-shirts that say “IT WAS DEFINITELY US,” and then they’re going to buy all of your stuff at your estate sale so that they can directly look at the photos
of your vacation instead of reading your insipid emails about them.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
One time, a friend of mine pissed off the wrong person and wasn't sure if he was dealing with not-Mossad or literally Mossad, and all the technology around him gaslit him to the point of complete life-controlling paranoia. So I guess my point is that there's some grey area in there

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Re: multi computer remote stuff

I have a displaylink dock for my Mac that connects via usb c. I have 2 monitors on my desk, they're both connected to both dock and my desktop pc and set to auto output so whichever computer is on is the output that gets used. I have a ugreen usb switch from Amazon with a button to swap the Webcam, keyboard, mouse, mic, headphones to whichever computer I'm using. There's a usb hub in the mix too cause the usb switch only has 4 inputs.

I haven't had any issues with this setup, just need to make sure current computer is asleep before waking other one or monitors probably won't swap over.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Started my first project as a consultant after joining the new company. Fired from project after two days!

The client signed me on kind of sight unseen, trusting the judgment of the team lead, but then decided they wanted to test the new hiring process they were developing for future internal hires on me after the fact. They wanted me to recite a bunch of orthodox OOP theory, principles, and patterns from memory. It's not my strong suit. Never got to see or solve any problems. They also wanted me to have a bunch of experience with ASP.NET webforms, a legacy framework not supported by ASP.NET Core, which is where my little .NET experience (I have mainly worked with Java) lies.

I am kind of relieved. I was pitched on them wanting someone to help them modernize an old .NET thing by rewriting it as Kotlin microservices and getting some DevOps stuff in. In reality, they just want someone to maintain this hulking monolith, and they are bound by contracts that preclude any kind of CD.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Sounds like they did you a huge favor OP

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That is a blessing in disguise.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What're the current places everyone uses for job listings, I've got to start looking

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I've had good luck with LinkedIn (pick up a skill badge or two) and Glassdoor.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apparently one side effect of all the tech layoffs is that attrition is way down this year at our company. Like low single digits of people leaving.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

smackfu posted:

Apparently one side effect of all the tech layoffs is that attrition is way down this year at our company. Like low single digits of people leaving.

I'd imagine that that's more because of hiring freezes than because of layoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

brand engager posted:

What're the current places everyone uses for job listings, I've got to start looking

Got all my offers off Indeed listings