Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Caught gherkin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Additional ballet shoe curses: traditional ballet shoes are basically made of satin, glue, and cardboard, cost like $120/pair, and a professional ballerina goes through a pair every performance. They also have to be broken in (literally, ballerinas do things like hit them with hammers and cut up the soles) and have the elastic and ribbons sewn on by hand. Since ballet shoes traditionally only come in pink, dancers of color also have to paint/dye every shoe to match their skin color.

There's a brand of ballet shoe called Gaynor Minden that were specifically designed with the same materials as athletic shoes to be (slightly) more durable and comfortable. Many ballet schools and companies banned them at first, because the suffering is part of the art.

Gaynor Minden was also the first manufacturer to offer shoes in multiple skin tones... in 2017.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Additional ballet shoe curses: traditional ballet shoes are basically made of satin, glue, and cardboard, cost like $120/pair, and a professional ballerina goes through a pair every performance. They also have to be broken in (literally, ballerinas do things like hit them with hammers and cut up the soles) and have the elastic and ribbons sewn on by hand. Since ballet shoes traditionally only come in pink, dancers of color also have to paint/dye every shoe to match their skin color.

There's a brand of ballet shoe called Gaynor Minden that were specifically designed with the same materials as athletic shoes to be (slightly) more durable and comfortable. Many ballet schools and companies banned them at first, because the suffering is part of the art.

Gaynor Minden was also the first manufacturer to offer shoes in multiple skin tones... in 2017.

I did ballet until I was 16, was never good enough to go en pointe which was devastating at the time but a huge relief now.

One thing that was introduced when I was still competing was "split sole" ballet shoes, basically instead of one long strip of leather along the bottom, there would be two; one at the heel and one at the ball, with just satin between. It resulted in a more aesthetically pleasing pointe, without quite as much effort from the dancer. Of course, they were immediately banned from all competitions and dance schools (at least in my area) like they were performance enhancing drugs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Performance enhancing drugs otoh were encouraged

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So what you're saying is Suspiria was just a doco about a regular ballet school?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Had to get an MRI recently, and nope. They have a pretty exhaustive list of questions (that admittedly did not mention butt plugs) but it's basically all on the honor system.

i also got one but they made me change my clothes because apparently some forms of dye can contain enough metal to violently deconstruct the fibers. Prob this is a crazy lie but who knows? Even after that they did the metal detection wand.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Wasabi the J posted:

Skin and intestine are pretty elastic. Wouldn't they screen for that with a metal detector, though?

One of the questions they ask if you've ever been a metalworker/welder, as those people can unknowingly end up with tiny flecks of metal in their eyes. Which would be bad in a massive magnetic field.

But also, if you're going for an MRI why would your first thought be "Well, better find my favourite buttplug"?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kink don't stop for some people

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sweet Jesus. Jim. I don't even know his anatomy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Like I'm honestly surprised they don't just have a metal detector set up in the entrance to any MRI rooms. I'm sure there's a reason why they don't -I'm assuming cost and they probably miss stuff or something- but yeah considering how dangerous they can be seems like it should be a thing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Stoatbringer posted:

But also, if you're going for an MRI why would your first thought be "Well, better find my favourite buttplug"?

Well you're obviously no fun at all
:colbert:

E:^^^ and even if a full scale metal detector is too expensive those handheld wands are not.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I assume they're supposed to feel good right? I don't get the appeal but I don't really know much about them. In any case I'm not wearing one to an MRI that's for sure

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Guess they'll be hastily updating the list of safety questions now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

dr_rat posted:

Like I'm honestly surprised they don't just have a metal detector set up in the entrance to any MRI rooms. I'm sure there's a reason why they don't -I'm assuming cost and they probably miss stuff or something- but yeah considering how dangerous they can be seems like it should be a thing.

Seems like they wouldn't catch everything and might give you a false sense of security. I don't know if that outweighs the fact that they would catch some things.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those handheld wands absolutely suck rear end for detecting anything that isn’t a gigantic chunk of metal held directly against the wand and I absolutely wouldn’t trust it as a measure of “is this person going to be horribly maimed in my giant electromagnet box”

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Stoatbringer posted:

Guess they'll be hastily updating the list of safety questions now.

I mean, changing the questions wouldn't have done anything

The patient was operating under the assumption of 100% silicone

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Jestery posted:

I mean, changing the questions wouldn't have done anything

The patient was operating under the assumption of 100% silicone

Trusting your average sex toy manufacturer with your life might not be the best idea

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also the patient was an rear end in a top hat for trying to pull a “teehee they’ll see there’s something up my rear end” nonconsensual kink move, they didn’t deserve to have their insides violently rearranged for it but they don’t deserve a free pass for it either.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
whats the point of a sex toy if it doesnt violently rearrange your insides

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Those handheld wands absolutely suck rear end for detecting anything that isn’t a gigantic chunk of metal held directly against the wand and I absolutely wouldn’t trust it as a measure of “is this person going to be horribly maimed in my giant electromagnet box”

The ones they have at the courthouse and filth station detect my belt buckle, which is extremely light-weight (and thus breaks every week or so), and also my single Abloy key without fob.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

History Comes Inside! posted:

Also the patient was an rear end in a top hat for trying to pull a “teehee they’ll see there’s something up my rear end” nonconsensual kink move, they didn’t deserve to have their insides violently rearranged for it but they don’t deserve a free pass for it either.

Oh totally

I'm just speaking to the mens rea(?) more than anything

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I wonder how ferrous the metals need to be

Like I know you can get weird magnetic behaviour in metals that might not show up under the relatively light magnetic field of a metal detector

But when you start talking magnetic resonance of my cells it might be a power level that would cause aluminium to do wired poo poo

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

The Moon Monster posted:

Seems like they wouldn't catch everything and might give you a false sense of security. I don't know if that outweighs the fact that they would catch some things.

I suspect as well, simply asking the patient and making them aware, the onus is on the patient, whereas if they had a metal detector, and it missed something, that's very clearly the hospitals fault.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
When they flipped the switch the patient probably contorted like he was possessed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

!Klams posted:

I suspect as well, simply asking the patient and making them aware, the onus is on the patient, whereas if they had a metal detector, and it missed something, that's very clearly the hospitals fault.

This sounds as bullshit as it is probably true. The bullshit part being laws like that are bullshit and shouldn't exist. Even if their not lying, peoples memories are god drat awful, and trusting just to someones memory when it's a situation where a bit of metal might rip off a bit of their skeletons or some such seems like a pretty bad idea.

As for false sense of security, just not telling the patient their going to go through a metal detector before they answer the questions could help with that. Not sure if that would violate any medical ethics, as long as you do tell them about the metal detector at some stage.

Do you have to inform someone if they go through a metal detector? I mean it's a type of search?

Bronzie
Dec 13, 2006
You can buy metal detectors for access to MRI areas and they work just fine but they're not usually recommended by any of the safety organisations as they tend to increase complacency in staff doing the patient screening and they don't catch all the potential hazards. Titantium fibre for odour control in sports kit for example doesn't carry any risk from the magnetic field but can lead to horrendous radiofrequency burns from the scan itself.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bronzie posted:

You can buy metal detectors for access to MRI areas and they work just fine but they're not usually recommended by any of the safety organisations as they tend to increase complacency in staff doing the patient screening and they don't catch all the potential hazards. Titantium fibre for odour control in sports kit for example doesn't carry any risk from the magnetic field but can lead to horrendous radiofrequency burns from the scan itself.

Not to mention all the titants that have to die in the manufacturing process.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Did they hit the emergency vent button or just wrestle the dude away?

Because emergency vent is some "replace the whole drat thing" and wrestling the patient away is "pulling a patient away with a 100+ pound force anal toy"

Either way, that internals imaging doesn't look like things are where they should be.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i also got one but they made me change my clothes because apparently some forms of dye can contain enough metal to violently deconstruct the fibers. Prob this is a crazy lie but who knows? Even after that they did the metal detection wand.

:aaa: "Natural iron dye" is a thing and now that response doesn't surprise me.

Robo Reagan posted:

whats the point of a sex toy if it doesnt violently rearrange your insides

Sex toys are supposed to do that consentingly :ssh:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Otana posted:

I did ballet until I was 16, was never good enough to go en pointe which was devastating at the time but a huge relief now.

One thing that was introduced when I was still competing was "split sole" ballet shoes, basically instead of one long strip of leather along the bottom, there would be two; one at the heel and one at the ball, with just satin between. It resulted in a more aesthetically pleasing pointe, without quite as much effort from the dancer. Of course, they were immediately banned from all competitions and dance schools (at least in my area) like they were performance enhancing drugs.

Up to the collegiate level of organized sports in the US, girls account for a bit over 50% of sports related injuries and a good bit over 50% of tendon and ligament injuries. Considering that there are generally less (organized) opportunities for girls to compete in sports, that's kind of surprising.

Remembering all the dancers, gymnasts, track and field people, horse riders, etc. hobbling around school when I was in middle/junior high and highschool, I can see that though. Maybe less broken bones, but plenty of braces, tight bandages, canes, and poo poo.

A special shout out to barrel racers. They always seemed to have a sprained something and, rarely, horrific injuries to the back and hips. It's a neat thing to watch done well, up until the horse zigs, she zags, and poo poo goes *CRACK* to collective gasping and groaning from the crowd.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Whoop. Thought this was the OSHA thread. Barrel racing cursed, if you think how this could have gone far worse than it did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pmg8ZnYfdc

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The ones they have at the courthouse and filth station detect my belt buckle, which is extremely light-weight (and thus breaks every week or so), and also my single Abloy key without fob.

The courthouse has government money to pay for good metal detectors. MRIs are run by for-profit (whether or not they're for-profit on paper, all medical poo poo in America is for-profit in practice) who don't want to spend a dime on anything that isn't 100% operationally necessary, so they can dump as much cash as possible into the executives' offshore bank accounts.

Jestery posted:

I wonder how ferrous the metals need to be

Like I know you can get weird magnetic behaviour in metals that might not show up under the relatively light magnetic field of a metal detector

But when you start talking magnetic resonance of my cells it might be a power level that would cause aluminium to do wired poo poo

MRI magnets are unbelievably powerful. If it's ferrous, it will gently caress poo poo up.

My mind was blown when I was told by an MRI tech that I didn't need to take out my apparently-completely-non-ferrous metal piercings, but she was right. Nothing got violently ripped out of my body that day.

Scratch Monkey posted:

When they flipped the switch the patient probably contorted like he was possessed.

The magnet is always on. It costs tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to restart the magnet if they have to do an emergency shutdown (like they doubtless had to do for the buttplug patient). If the metal is ferrous enough, you don't even have to be the one in the machine. You can find multiple stories of cops' guns getting ripped from their holsters, and sometimes the guns even fire because the (ferrous) firing pin gets pulled forward and sets off the chambered round--one Brazilian non-cop who had a gun got shot by his own gun and died fairly recently.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 14:46 on May 11, 2023

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I had an MRI a couple weeks ago and they didn't ask me any questions aside from my name and DOB.
It had been over a decade since my last one and thought maybe the tech had advanced a bunch, maybe?

Before I layed down I asked if I should take everything out of my pockets. They said, "Uh... like your phone and keys? Probably."

Didn't instill a lot of confidence!!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

I had an MRI a couple weeks ago and they didn't ask me any questions aside from my name and DOB.
It had been over a decade since my last one and thought maybe the tech had advanced a bunch, maybe?

Before I layed down I asked if I should take everything out of my pockets. They said, "Uh... like your phone and keys? Probably."

That's American for-profit healthcare, baby

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve heard horror stories about them interacting with ferrous materials in some tattoo inks and causing burns

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"Hey should I be concerned about my dental fillings?"
-"Let's find out" *hits activation switch"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I think these days you get a pre-checkup email with a gigantic list of what you're supposed to do (and not do) when getting an MRI.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Did you get the MRI while still in your street clothes? I had to change into a hospital gown and leave everything with me in a completely separate room.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think I was in my normal clothes when I got mine as far as I can recall - they just asked if I had anything metal or had worked in places where I might have ended up with shavings in my eye or something.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Mozi posted:

I think I was in my normal clothes when I got mine as far as I can recall - they just asked if I had anything metal or had worked in places where I might have ended up with shavings in my eye or something.

Are you sure you even had a MRI? Maybe you accidently wandered into Capcom's 3D body scanner and will be showing up a zombie in the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the little metal bits in a pair of jeans wouldn't pull all that much and are generally safe to wear in an MRI, but depending on imaging location they may want them removed.