Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Jack Trades posted:

I only seen one game that has managed to make that twist work in a narratively satisfying way and that game had the most well executed mystery plot I have ever seen.

Anyone with weaker writing talent than that so should really not be doing that kind of twist.

Can you name the game in spoilers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phigs posted:

Can you name the game in spoilers?

Do I want to do that though? I'd like for more people to know about it but I also don't want to ruin the game for those people.

I guess the actual ending twist is different enough that it will still keep people guessing.
The game is 13 Sentinels.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Talorat posted:

Anyone got any recommendations for a good chill numbers go up game? I played and liked Stardew Valley, Dredge, Potionomics and Dinkum. Did not like potion permit or Story of Seasons Olive town. What would be the best game to play that won’t feel stale or like a rehash of what I’ve played before?

Dragon Quest Builders 2, Graveyard Keeper, Forager

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Megazver posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2, Graveyard Keeper, Forager

My only complaint with DQ Builders 2 is the unskippable cutscenes that are unbearably slow at times. Otherwise a fantastic little game, and it's very satisfying to build a little village and see NPCs actually use the buildings!

Graveyard Keeper is interesting in that it's a game with a lot of stuff to do, but much of the infrastructure only needs to be invested in once. Getting the automation up and running is a lot of fun though.

Forager is... odd? It's not a bad game, but it is the very definition of numbers go up, and it feels kind of weird how it goes about that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Graveyard Keeper was very annoying when I played it -- it may have changed since -- in that there were many events that could only happen on one day, and it was easy to miss them. I was also personally squicked when I was required by the plot to torture somebody.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Talorat posted:

Oh yeah I was curious about those, are any of the newer ones worth playing?

Edit: also I played and loved My Time at Portia despite the Jank

Probably best place to go for Atelier stuff is the megathread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881471

The OP has a pretty good evaluation of each game in the series, and people will readily answer any questions you've got about them.

Luckily, in regards to Atelier you can get a lot of the older games in modern rereleases too. There was a time not so long ago your only chance to play them was to find a PS3 from somewhere.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Jack Trades posted:

Do I want to do that though? I'd like for more people to know about it but I also don't want to ruin the game for those people.

I guess the actual ending twist is different enough that it will still keep people guessing.
The game is 13 Sentinels.

The game in spoilers is fantastic and for what it’s worth it does have enough going on in regards to the hallucination that it doesn’t feel like a cop out although it does cheapen the extremely clever “time travel isn’t real” reveal, which was my favorite oh gently caress moment of the game

Don’t click the above spoiler unless you already know the game obvs.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

Dirk the Average posted:

My only complaint with DQ Builders 2 is the unskippable cutscenes that are unbearably slow at times. Otherwise a fantastic little game, and it's very satisfying to build a little village and see NPCs actually use the buildings!

Graveyard Keeper is interesting in that it's a game with a lot of stuff to do, but much of the infrastructure only needs to be invested in once. Getting the automation up and running is a lot of fun though.

Forager is... odd? It's not a bad game, but it is the very definition of numbers go up, and it feels kind of weird how it goes about that.

Totally agreed on DQ Builders 2. I keep wanting to do another replay, but I'm holding off for now.

I think it was in this thread, but someone said that Graveyard Keeper basically expects you to know what to do or that you're following a guide. Also, if you go for the deluxe version, the DLC is badly implemented (at least on Switch, don't know about other platforms) where it's available from almost the start even though you're nowhere near ready for it.

And yeah, Forager is very much numbers go up. It was satisfying for awhile.

If you like Disney or don't mind it, I bought Disney Dreamlight Valley last week and found that it also scratches the itch very nicely as well.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

DQ2 is an adventure or puzzle game with farm theming, not a farming game. It’s cute, but you never get to a position where you can advance by building what you want. At some point you have to do what the quests tell you to. If it’s what you want, that’s great, but it doesn’t scratch the same itch as SV or harvest moon.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

SilentChaz posted:

Totally agreed on DQ Builders 2. I keep wanting to do another replay, but I'm holding off for now.

I think it was in this thread, but someone said that Graveyard Keeper basically expects you to know what to do or that you're following a guide. Also, if you go for the deluxe version, the DLC is badly implemented (at least on Switch, don't know about other platforms) where it's available from almost the start even though you're nowhere near ready for it.

And yeah, Forager is very much numbers go up. It was satisfying for awhile.

If you like Disney or don't mind it, I bought Disney Dreamlight Valley last week and found that it also scratches the itch very nicely as well.

I softlocked myself on Graveyard Keeper by doing a couple of things out of the expected order and haven't had the heart to restart even though I had enjoyed it to that point

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Talorat posted:

Oh yeah I was curious about those, are any of the newer ones worth playing?

Edit: also I played and loved My Time at Portia despite the Jank

I like the newer ones too, but they aren’t really life sims in the same way the older ones are.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

SilentChaz posted:

The only redeeming feature about the day/time issue is that time passing doesn't matter (other than corpse quality, but you can just cremate them or toss them in the river instead of burying them anyway). You're free to sleep 6 days away in order to get up on the 7th if you skipped something. It's both a good and a bad thing, since the complete lack of time pressure also makes a lot of tasks feel a bit meaningless.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sakuna: Of Rice And Ruin should be considered a farming number-go-up game as well. Half of the game is a platformer, but you increase your stats for the platforming parts by growing rice. If stuff is too difficult you can always chill for a few years growing rice then go back to whatever level stymied you powered-up.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Dirk the Average posted:

The only redeeming feature about the day/time issue is that time passing doesn't matter (other than corpse quality, but you can just cremate them or toss them in the river instead of burying them anyway). You're free to sleep 6 days away in order to get up on the 7th if you skipped something. It's both a good and a bad thing, since the complete lack of time pressure also makes a lot of tasks feel a bit meaningless.

I really like the Only One Week system instead of having years. I really hate missing an event in most farming games, because the years are way too drat long, while in Graveyard Keeper you are at most 5 and a bit days away. I don't think I've played a farming game aside from maybe Rune Factory that justified the full 28 or 30 day seasons that are standard; in a lot of them I miss most of the Spring stuff because I'm too busy Spring 1 and getting done with the stuff I was interested in by Spring 2. Sakuna as just mentioned does it great, with each day also being a month, but it is easier to get away with a dozen years passing without aging if you're gods.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Has Roots of Pacha been pulled from Steam? Even the official link from their page doesn't work. https://rootsofpacha.com/ Also, what was the name of the sinister fishing game everybody was raving about last month?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Has Roots of Pacha been pulled from Steam? Even the official link from their page doesn't work. https://rootsofpacha.com/ Also, what was the name of the sinister fishing game everybody was raving about last month?

The fishing game is Dredge.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/stardew-like-roots-of-pacha-removed-from-steam-after-the-developer-and-publisher-disagree-over-the-rights

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Legal trouble between devs and publishers, it seems.

https://twitter.com/rootsofpacha/status/1657485686466039809?s=20

The very normal and not scary fishing game is "Dredge".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, damnit re Roots of Pacha. Off to buy Dredge, and thanks.
E: Three hours later, wow.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 24, 2023

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, damnit re Roots of Pacha. Off to buy Dredge, and thanks.
E: Three hours later, wow.

Looks like Roots of Pacha is back as of about a day ago:

https://twitter.com/rootsofpacha/status/1662151770418577422

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Are there any Farmin', etc. games that let you build your city/town up. I asked earlier about Dinkum, because it was putting me off that it was slow. Looking for something a bit speedier. I played Portia, enjoyed it but never finished. I'm waiting on Sandrock to finish EA. Anything else going? (Played SV, ofc.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Medieval dynasty?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Maybe Clanfolk? It's like Rimworld or DF but completely non-violent.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Mrenda posted:

Are there any Farmin', etc. games that let you build your city/town up. I asked earlier about Dinkum, because it was putting me off that it was slow. Looking for something a bit speedier. I played Portia, enjoyed it but never finished. I'm waiting on Sandrock to finish EA. Anything else going? (Played SV, ofc.)

Dragon Quest Builders 2 has some elements of this. It's not a farming game in the same way as something like Stardew Valley or Harvest Moon, but you do get to build houses and farms and other rooms for villagers and they will use them. It's also useful for you, as they'll do things like harvest crops and cook them, and you can take some of the output for yourself when adventuring.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/myPotatoGames/status/1663298705879969792

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Mrenda posted:

Immortal Life is also still in EA, but it might be up your alley. Basically it's a xianxia-themed Harvest Moon, from the devs that did Amazing Cultivation Sim. A major part of the game is building a cultivation sect up from rubble. It starts off fairly slow, but as your character levels up into an immortal they get just ridiculously overpowered and speedy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm a little disappointed with the new direction for the Cultivation game. I really liked the overall focus on multiple characters, but I'll probably check Immortal Life when it's further along, I do like Harvest Moon games.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
Disney Dreamlight Valley now has a completed main storyline as of last Wednesday's big content update. The final chapter is so very, very Disney, and I loved it (YMMV). There's plenty of room left for future content and new quests, too.

The 'hidden' questline was completed with this update, too. Your final reward is a glowing rainbow fox companion, which is adorable. Absolutely my favorite companion I've collected so far.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Is there an update when it’s out of EA?

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Is there an update when it’s out of EA?

Unfortunately, no. They did post a roadmap update recently, but they're still not saying how much longer they'll be in Early Access.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I'm 36 hours into Roots of Pacha and finding it very grindy; I spend most of the day gardening and tending to the animals, then it's off to the caves to mine. I really wish there were more interesting minigames. Furthermore, the mechanic of having to search for seeds or make $$$ in contributions annoys me. If seeds were lower-priced I'd be happier.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

So apparently Rune Factory 4 is on gamepass, is it one of the good ones and if so is there anything I should know before playing?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is one of the good ones. there are a bunch of semi-hidden systems like crafting inheritance and soil level that you'll want to look up guides for if you decide to engage with them at all.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, RF4 has some crazy in depth systems that you can completely ignore to the point that most players don't even know that they exist.

Anyway craft a magnify glass to your hoe.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 12, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hel posted:

So apparently Rune Factory 4 is on gamepass, is it one of the good ones and if so is there anything I should know before playing?

One of the good ones. The quests from the mailbox (just roll with it, far from the strangest thing in the game) will teach you everything you need to know.

You can add a magnifying glass to a hoe using the smithing interface. This is very helpful since it gives your hoe all the magnifying glass powers, freeing up an inventory slot. You don't need this info until it comes up in game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://wholesomegames.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/wholesomedirect

Wholesome Direct 2023 happened a couple of days ago and there's been a lot of cozy-rear end games shown. I'm more of a 'I want my game to be a game' type of guy and a lot of those games looked really cute, but a bit on the narrative non-game side, but they still showed a lot of games I was interested in.

Just came out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1896700/Wylde_Flowers/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1561040/Diluvian_Winds/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1403650/Everdream_Valley/

Coming Soon:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2142790/Fields_of_Mistria/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2195120/GoGo_Town/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2133760/Tiny_Bookshop/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1658150/Moonstone_Island/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2111170/STORY_OF_SEASONS_A_Wonderful_Life/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1906830/While_the_Irons_Hot/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1536570/The_Last_Alchemist/

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

LLSix posted:

One of the good ones. The quests from the mailbox (just roll with it, far from the strangest thing in the game) will teach you everything you need to know.

You can add a magnifying glass to a hoe using the smithing interface. This is very helpful since it gives your hoe all the magnifying glass powers, freeing up an inventory slot. You don't need this info until it comes up in game.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah, RF4 has some crazy in depth systems that you can completely ignore to the point that most players don't even know that they exist.

Anyway craft a magnify glass to your hoe.

Yeah, I'm still in first spring but it seems pretty good. Is there a way to transfer the magnifying powers to the next level of hoe, or do I have to spend 2000G as an extra tax on the upgrade? Not that 2000 is super expensive even this soon.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Hel posted:

Yeah, I'm still in first spring but it seems pretty good. Is there a way to transfer the magnifying powers to the next level of hoe, or do I have to spend 2000G as an extra tax on the upgrade? Not that 2000 is super expensive even this soon.

You can use it as a tool on its own, and you can smith it to any tool, but no, there's no way to transfer the magnifying powers.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Hel posted:

Do the same thing with your old hoe and new hoe that you did with your magnifying glass and old hoe to start with.

When you smith equipment into any other piece of equipment it transfers the first, I think 2 (it's been awhile), buffs on it. Or maybe which buff gets transferred is random? Either way, for just the hoe and magnifying glass you're guaranteed to get it to transfer.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

LLSix posted:

Do the same thing with your old hoe and new hoe that you did with your magnifying glass and old hoe to start with.

When you smith equipment into any other piece of equipment it transfers the first, I think 2 (it's been awhile), buffs on it. Or maybe which buff gets transferred is random? Either way, for just the hoe and magnifying glass you're guaranteed to get it to transfer.

That's what I thought would work, but it didn't, which is why I asked , in case you were supposed to use it as a bonus in creation instead of bolting it on later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

:nice:

Thanks, quoting so I can take a look later when I have more time.

I can't remember if it was this thread or the Stardew thread, but people mentioned having some issues with the original A Wonderful Life, anyone have any idea? I never played it.