Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Vargatron posted:

I thought MNK was just Dragon Kick???
The meme rotation isn't actually optimal, to be fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tekopo posted:

How did you use PB? Just use it to do the standard combo? You can't really complain about the flow of the job if you weren't running the proper rotation. The prior rotation of MNK was really janky and bad, and the new one is really fun and loving rules.

:laffo: I definitely can complain.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You made a generalised statement about the flow being worse when, for people that followed the actual MNK rotation, it has gotten significantly better. Sure, you can say the flow got worse for you specifically, but it doesn't mean that you are correct for the huge amount of players that followed the actual MNK rotation.

if you really want your MNK rotation to have the flow that it used to, just ignore which nadi open and just do solar nadi every single time. You can even decide to not press the blitz button since that extra GCD might break the flow. There, the old flow that you remember is back.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 11, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Tekopo posted:

You made a generalised statement about the flow being worse when, for people that followed the actual MNK rotation, it has gotten significantly better. Sure, you can say the flow got better for you specifically, but it doesn't mean that you are correct for the huge amount of players that followed the actual MNK rotation.

if you really want your MNK rotation to have the flow that it used to, just ignore which nadi open and just do solar nadi every single time. You can even decide to not press the blitz button since that extra GCD might break the flow. There, the old flow that you remember is back.

Yep, I was playing it wrong before because reading through the skill descriptions, what I thought were optional skills that I never really investigated were actually implicit requirements. Now that those requirements are made more obvious, I like it less. I liked the fun and intuitive class I thought I was playing, not the weird janky mess that I actually was, and now as a result playing "correctly" is less fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I mean, sure, if that's your personal experience, fine, maybe the job isn't for you.

Having played ShB and EW monk, it's just incredible to me how good the rework was, how much smoother it made the job and how it overall flows much better. I hated the force combo drop after PB that ShB forced you in, so the fact that blitz gives you formless fist and that you don't have to spend 6 GCDs just doing DK -> BS is incredibly good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Tekopo posted:

The meme rotation isn't actually optimal, to be fair.

What? No... :negative:

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

The problem I have is that you need to use Perfect Balance 3 times, but it only has 2 charges, and the recast is too slow for one to be up by the time you finish getting your 2nd Nadi unlocked.

perfect balance needs to be used three times for a "full rotation" and has a recharge of 40 seconds, that means you get three PBs every 120 seconds, aligning it neatly with riddle of fire and brotherhood. simply use your second riddle of fire window for your third perfect balance and everything is in perfect alignment always and forever.

Cactrot posted:

:laffo: I definitely can complain.

you cannot

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

You're not a true MNK player unless you're switching between Rear and Flank for every hit of PB out of a habit you can't possibly break.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Vargatron posted:

You're not a true MNK player unless you're switching between Rear and Flank for every hit of PB out of a habit you can't possibly break.
I still do this, it does my head in. It's difficult to get out of the habit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Break free of the shackles of rigid order and play Dancer.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Vargatron posted:

Look, I have my rear buttons on 123 and my flank buttons on shift-123. The fact that most of them aren't rear and flank any more is of no consequence to my positioning.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Xerophyte posted:

Look, I have my rear buttons on 123 and my flank buttons on shift-123. The fact that most of them aren't rear and flank any more is of no consequence to my positioning.

I had it set up so that my cross hotbar buttons matched the positional. Really helped when I was learning MNK during Bozja.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Lord_Magmar posted:

In fact with the removal of Merciful Eyes and Shigan Samurai had the same number of buttons in Endwalker as Shadowbringers (lose 2, gain 2).
I played Samurai for E9-12S and thought it had too many buttons then too. I play Ninja as my melee now and I also think it has too many buttons, but I like playing Ninja way more than I liked Samurai at least

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah I also have 123 for rear and shitft-123 for flank, it felt like the natural set up for me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Every class should have more buttons and 1-2 additional buffs and debuffs/DoTs to juggle. You can't change my mind.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think Samurai has too many buttons, but it's dumb poo poo like Shinten/Kyuten, Shoha/Shoha 2, and Guren/Senei being separate buttons. My Kaiten hotkey is still there, unusable.

Those dumb oGCDs that don't interact with anything should just be a single skill with the normal single target potency, and same reduced aoe potency. It's never a decision, and there aren't edge cases where you'd use one over the other. Literal button bloat.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

make the dualshock edge controller mandatory for console players imo

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

perfect balance needs to be used three times for a "full rotation" and has a recharge of 40 seconds, that means you get three PBs every 120 seconds, aligning it neatly with riddle of fire and brotherhood. simply use your second riddle of fire window for your third perfect balance and everything is in perfect alignment always and forever.

I'm only 61. Guess I need to grind out those other 7 levels to make Monk good. And here I thought getting to 60 would do that...

Doomykins posted:

Break free of the shackles of rigid order and play Dancer.

Dancer is great! It was my second Job to 90, after Machinist.

iPodschun posted:

I played Samurai for E9-12S and thought it had too many buttons then too. I play Ninja as my melee now and I also think it has too many buttons, but I like playing Ninja way more than I liked Samurai at least

Ninja absolutly has way too many buttons. The whole Mudra system is just too anime much.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Next expansion adds in an ability that causes your next Shuriken to hit like a truck

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kheldarn posted:

I'm only 61. Guess I need to grind out those other 7 levels to make Monk good. And here I thought getting to 60 would do that...

prior to riddle of fire you can just use your third perfect balance whenever. then in theory you would wait your second PB stack is nearly off-cooldown so you can do flint strike and elixir field PBs under raid buffs like divination and mug, except in roulette content people will press raid buffs at completely random intervals so you may as well use PB whenever, too.

but yeah, riddle of fire does make keeping the two-one-two-one rhythm of PB easier since it's a 60 second cooldown in a game all about 60 second and 120 second burst windows

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I don't, and never will, understand the blowback the kaiten cut generated. The much bigger problem to me was changing fuga to a circle. Not that this is a bad change on it's own, but it's incredibly annoying that fuga is a cone until level whatever when the trait makes it a circle. Messes with my muscle memory and I don't like it. It's also very perplexing that all the cones got changed to circles (which I am in favor of) but then they added reaper and gave it cones again!

Orcs and Ostriches is also correct that all the ST/AoE split skills are super boring, but it's pretty clear that their job design team doesn't have the chops to really innovate on jobs (or at least, the number of jobs that we currently have) at this point and they have to fill the expansion levelling experience somehow.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Are there any menu options squirreled away somewhere that would make target swapping easier, or do things like automatically direct my spells to my target's target when applicable rather than defaulting to myself? I've already tried experimenting some with using Focus Target, but it's something I'm still unfamiliar with so I had a lot of hiccups last dungeon run (kept accidentally healing myself rather than the tank, was also pretty worn out).

By the way, last time I did any semi-serious healing was leveling WHM to 60 pre Stormblood. Oh, and I'm also playing on PS5 with mouse and keyboard.

I use the d-pad up/down for allies and L1+d-pad for enemies. If I let go of the controller it's down then X and I have the tank selected.

With a mouse it's fewer inputs, click on them in the party or enemy list. I agree it would be cool if using an single-target offensive ability while targeting the tank attacked their target. I would not want something to automatically prioritize who I'm healing though.

Practice some dungeons starting with lower level ones or guildhests and you'll build muscle memory. Don't worry about wiping, it happens.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't, and never will, understand the blowback the kaiten cut generated.

It's a cool, thematic button that felt satisfying to use. If nothing else it'd make a fantastic emote.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't, and never will, understand the blowback the kaiten cut generated. The much bigger problem to me was changing fuga to a circle. Not that this is a bad change on it's own, but it's incredibly annoying that fuga is a cone until level whatever when the trait makes it a circle. Messes with my muscle memory and I don't like it. It's also very perplexing that all the cones got changed to circles (which I am in favor of) but then they added reaper and gave it cones again!

Kaiten I'm mid on. It was very slight skill check, but as long as you kept 25 kenki in the bank you were good to go. Small thing, but a thing people hosed up nonetheless. That said, after 4 and a half years of using before every Iaijutsu, it feels weird to not have it. I'm still hitting it on muscle memory. And I dunno, it felt cool.

The AoE inconsistencies are super annoying though. I don't want everyone to be a circle, but they should at least have consistency within the job.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Failboattootoot posted:

I don't, and never will, understand the blowback the kaiten cut generated.

It felt really good to press and had a cool animation. You do the boring work of building up your stickers for 10 seconds and then weave in the whirly boi building up the dopamine for the following big hit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Imagine if they removed Reassemble from MCH and rolled the averaged lost damage into Drill, Chainsaw, Bioblaster etc. What's the issue? You still got all your damage, right? Less button bloat?

Nah man let me dictate the pace of my rising giddiness as I chamber my shotgun before I loving obliterate this target. :clint:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Imagine if they removed Reassemble from MCH and rolled the averaged lost damage into Drill, Chainsaw, Bioblaster etc. What's the issue? You still got all your damage, right? Less button bloat?

Nah man let me dictate the pace of my rising giddiness as I chamber my shotgun before I loving obliterate this target. :clint:

As a Machinist main, I'd be fine with removing Reassemble and rolling it into those.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Lower SAM kenki generation, remove shinten, bring back kaiten in its place but buffed make up for lower kenki gen.

I'm not a fan of my weeaboo moves constantly getting interrupted by shinten's sad little stab.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kheldarn posted:

As a Machinist main, I'd be fine with removing Reassemble and rolling it into those.

:chloe:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Doomykins posted:

These abilities aren't analogous. Not every Drill variant will be reassembled but every iaijustsu will be kaiten'd (please ignore the pre-EW 50-60 range where this was not the case). Well, unless you gently caress up your kenki but it is utterly trivial to not gently caress up kenki generation. I hosed up 123 combos more often than I messed up kenki. If I could reassemble every single drill, then deleting it and just rolling that damage in makes sense.

Firebert posted:

It felt really good to press and had a cool animation. You do the boring work of building up your stickers for 10 seconds and then weave in the whirly boi building up the dopamine for the following big hit.

I don't feel the same. If there were some iaijutsu's I didn't kaiten, I might. But since I kaiten basically all of them, that's just the default amount of damage a Midare does. There is no extra dopamine because it just feels like all my other midare's. The animation is whatever and I probably clipped it like 33% of the time double-weaving anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kheldarn posted:

Big oof.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Kheldarn posted:

Please turn in your job stone and your gun, you're off the force.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

:mods:

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
As a Machinist Main, I think we should get three charges of Reassemble.

:v:

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

As a Dancer main, I like dancing.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

As a PvP MCH main, I have occasionally thought "poo poo, gotta drop my bishop on the team fight" on PvE trash pulls, so I forfeit any right to talk about buttons for this class

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Kheldarn posted:

Log off, Tedalgrinche

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i didn't understand optimal old monk and i don't understand any of new monk

every explanation I've read just makes my eyes glaze over

do not try and explain it

in short

theironjef posted:

As a Dancer main, I like dancing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Always Be Ckicking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I definitely don’t enjoy where kaiten getting taken out left kenki as a resource, but the whole thing frustrated me more cause the feedback they finally took from it was it sucks to do changes like that during an expansion. I was really enjoying samurai a lot at the start of the expansion and it incredibly sucked having it change like that with so little warning! Why’d it have to be samurai!