Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Photex posted:

welp all the idiots who loving played the new Legend of Zelda early just got Lockpick RCM and Skyline nuked by Nintendo.

yes, because Nintendo famously has never given a poo poo about piracy and pretty much let the whole scene do whatever it wants for the past decade. But then people started playing an early leak of this particular one of their several golden gooses and only now are they taking an action of some sort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

zzMisc posted:

yes, because Nintendo famously has never given a poo poo about piracy and pretty much let the whole scene do whatever it wants for the past decade.

i can't tell if you're serious or not lmao

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, these listings are completely and absolutely fake and fraudulent, right?

https://www.amazon.com/Retroid-Pocket-Handheld-Multiple-Emulators/dp/B0B8SCF5WS

edit: sorry, I think I see what happened. Stupid Amazon search thinks I'm using "+" as a search modifier and not that I'm looking for the 3+.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 7, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Yeah as far as I can tell the 3+ just isn't listed at all on Amazon and it's just really weird considering it has been out for a while now and pretty much every other Retro Handheld ends up with at least a dozen listings on Amazon within a couple months of release

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

i can't tell if you're serious or not lmao

Why?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Because Nintendo are historically, the only game company that's repeatedly in the last 20 years hit rom sites, or even archive.org hosting old-rear end scans of Nintendo Power.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that post was mocking an opinion that isn't well thought out because everyone knows that about nintendo. It doesn't make any social sense to read it at face value as an agreement with the post they quoted

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 7, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Everyone in Games, me especially is a loving idiot and sometimes you just have to be sure

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Oh alright. Sorry if i'm acting hosed up. I don't come in here that often

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

zzMisc posted:

yes, because Nintendo famously has never given a poo poo about piracy and pretty much let the whole scene do whatever it wants for the past decade. But then people started playing an early leak of this particular one of their several golden gooses and only now are they taking an action of some sort.

It's Nintendo's fault that they keep making same ARM hardware console in 2023 (too lazy to develop its own architecture) and then its got easily emulated by later ARM phones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Cavauro posted:

Oh alright. Sorry if i'm acting hosed up. I don't come in here that often

Nah, all good!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

zzMisc posted:

Skyline was charging for their emulator lmao

Lockpick RCM hadn’t even gotten an update in months and it doesn’t matter much because people don’t normally dump the keys themselves.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Tiny Timbs posted:

They shouldnt even charge for their chili

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I should’ve been paid to eat that bullshit

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Lockpick RCM hadn’t even gotten an update in months and it doesn’t matter much because people don’t normally dump the keys themselves.

Wasn't Skyline also the one that for a while could only be used with one of the Gamesir controllers?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Skyline wasn't charging for the emulator, mainline was available to the public and Edge was available to patreon for faster updates was my understanding.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

njsykora posted:

Wasn't Skyline also the one that for a while could only be used with one of the Gamesir controllers?

That's EggNS, and it's not only gamesir, you can use any controller you like or the touchscreen controls

If you buy credits lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Photex posted:

Skyline wasn't charging for the emulator, mainline was available to the public and Edge was available to patreon for faster updates was my understanding.

There's Nintendo emulators that charge and fly under the radar, but profiting off of a Switch emulator is just asking for trouble.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Crossposting my SA Mart thread for the RP3+, for posterity.

Re: Skyline - I can understand getting a bit skittish with Nintendo's lawyers being the way they are, but also lmao at the idea they'd be coming for Skyline first and not, like, Yuzu. Is Skyline's performance even worthwhile on anything other than the absolute top-of-the-line stuff?

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
Depends on the game. Skyline can run 2D games like Celeste even on RP3+.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm not sure I understand the Lockpick thing. I always thought it was optional to dump Switch hardware keys if you wanted to read a NAND dump offline (or use it in an emulator), or if you want to make backups of your purchased titles. But you don't actually need the keys to run homebrew, and I don't think you need them to install pirated stuff? (Although the pirates would just share them around anyways like they do actual game dumps.)

Lockpick seems to be an easy but ineffective victory. What I don't understand is how they haven't nuked blawar/tinfoil/whatever as that all seems like pretty blatant bootlegging on the order of TX.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

aarstar posted:

Depends on the game. Skyline can run 2D games like Celeste even on RP3+.

Yeah I mostly just see it used for lightweight eShop titles that aren’t otherwise available on Android.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

EggNS is the one that can actually play AAA games, but lol at buying credits to be allowed to play a loving emulator

*discreetly shoves gamesir under a pile of newspapers*

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If I could find one of these for $100-$150 I’d do it. These screens look great for DS/3DS

https://youtu.be/q1Cm6kqssWI

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

MarcusSA posted:

If I could find one of these for $100-$150 I’d do it. These screens look great for DS/3DS

https://youtu.be/q1Cm6kqssWI

Oooh, the Surface Duo returns with a vengeance! Man, that looks nice, especially with the xbox controller thingy. It looks like the ultimate 3ds evolution.

Somewhat tangentially related, I've been hearing people wax nostalgic for the Gameboy Advance SP lately. But I was more of a base GBA kid. I really like the way it looks and it's more spacious for the fingers on the back. A GBA with a backlit screen would be basically the perfect gameboy imo, though I do get the screen protective benefits of the clamshell, but that's not enough to tip the scales for me. Somebody change my mind. :colbert:

e. Alright, well that completely killed the thread. Forget I said anything. :yikes:

Cory Parsnipson fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 10, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently Ross (and probably others) will already have a ROG Ally review tomorrow.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Apparently Ross (and probably others) will already have a ROG Ally review tomorrow.

Yeah ETA prime posted his unboxing yesterday.

It’s going to be a pretty powerful machine tbh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ally reviews are going up, general consensus seems to be its ridiculously powerful and can even do ray tracing but Windows is still terrible for handhelds, Asus' own software doesn't work that well and the battery life is awful. Z1 Extreme chip certainly seems solid for when it starts appearing in other devices.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can you install SteamOS on it?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I assume so with HoloISO, it's still AMD so shouldn't be driver issues. It looks like they've tied a lot of system settings into their Armory Crate software though so might lose a few options.

E: Someone in the Steam Deck thread said their laptops are notorious for having issues with Linux because they tie a bunch of poo poo to proprietary software, so maybe not. I'm sure some Youtuber will test it out within a week.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 11, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll post my review when I get it lol.

It’s definitely not going to be as comfortable to hold as the deck. I Can already tell that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I got my goofy Flip a day or so ago and I think it’s neat. I setup retroid launcher before realizing that there are multiple launchers you could use. Are any of them good enough that it’s worth redoing everything?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

hatty posted:

I got my goofy Flip a day or so ago and I think it’s neat. I setup retroid launcher before realizing that there are multiple launchers you could use. Are any of them good enough that it’s worth redoing everything?

How's the ergonomic compared to the non-flip consoles? Also real world portability?

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Daijisho is the popular Android launcher. It’s free and works pretty well

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s my first retroid so I’m not sure how it compares there but it’s about as comfortable as my RG353M and more comfortable than my Analogue pocket, it feels like a thicker 2DS XL if you have one of those. No cramps for me but I do have baby hands. It’s surprisingly compact, more portable than a 3DS XL or a Vita and It slips into my pants pocket easy enough, but it’s more noticeable throughout the day due to its thicc body and flared triggers compared to the 353m which I barely feel in my pocket

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hatty posted:

I use RESET collection and it kicks rear end

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sailor Goon posted:

Daijisho is the popular Android launcher. It’s free and works pretty well

Second. It’s perfect on my 3+.

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Just got my RP3+ and setting everything up including Daijisho. Love this little machine ! Coming from an RG351v it’s a big step up in what games are now playable for me

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Reset Collection makes me think of something made in like, VB6 forms

I think I still payed the dude anyway but it kinda just sits there unused lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The miyoo mini plus I ordered late February finally arrived! So far so good, except the screen flickers occasionally and it is annoying. Not enough to make me really upset, just kind of a bummer. I started final fantasy 4 today and the fast forward feature is amazing for the long cutscenes.