Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
This thread is the most high-level, skillful, genre pushing place to calm and even handed appreciation ratio places for this hobby on the internet.

"5 people post the best thing you've ever seen, creative, technically competent and awe inspiring*
*2 people in audience respectfully clap like they're at the back of a boardroom*
*sign lights up that says - the applause has concluded*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

AndyElusive posted:

I've watched the MS Paints algorithm tweaking video so I get why Miniac has thumbnails that look like he's sticking his head out the window of a fast moving vehicle. It's just that he's attempting to make mini painting his living and has publicly stated how he's desperately trying hard to work the system in order to make this whole thing succeed and yet, like Geisladisk mentioned, there's guys like Vince who Miniac is friends with that are doing the compete antithesis of this. So it's kind of funny and sad to think that the goofy things he does to increase viewer numbers/work the algorithm is the very thing that makes some people less likely to click his poo poo.

Miniac is chasing the Squidmar path to success. Youtube mini channels don't want the 1% of Youtube that is the hobbyists. They want the other 99% to see them on trending. Which is why this happened for a while.

To trick people into clicking because they think Henry has anything to do with the video.

Followed by Mr. Beast style click bait titles with $$$ in them.

On an entirely different note, I have an irrational dislike of Vince. I can't put my finger on it, but the guy just annoys me. Luckily there are 1000+ other mins and painting channels. ;)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I find Vince’s videos aren’t really appropriate to where I am in my painting journey, which is that I’m just starting to learn how to glaze and wet blend. He’s good at teaching you how to use techniques to achieve various effects but very bad at teaching you how to do the techniques.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Duncan Rhodes really is great for beginners; he has a ton of experience at teaching people to paint, it's something he did (does?) at seminars. One thing you can often see in his videos is he will actually demonstrate the mistake he's discussing, which is both illuminating and reassuring, and way more useful than someone saying "be careful not to X" but all you're seeing is the steady progress of someone that's not making mistakes.

You have to find the right videos though, he doesn't always get into the specifics of demonstrating and correcting mistakes.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I watch Vince mostly for "Hmm, maybe someday I'll have the patience for that". For where I'm actually at time/energy/skill wise, I tend to like Sonic Sledgehammer

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Over the past few months I've removed most mini-painting channels from my YT subs, and even blocked a few from my feed.

I hate mini-painting clickbait, and more and more people are moving in that direction. I get why they do it, but I find it negatively appealing.

Most of the channels that remain on my feed are small-time people who clearly are doing this as a way to showcase minis or help fund their hobbies.

Some of them have decent Twitch streams however. I checked Miniac's Twitch stream and it's not bad, just a guy talking to chat and painting minis. I find his YT content absolutely abysmal, but could see myself tuning into a stream of his.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

I watch Vince mostly for "Hmm, maybe someday I'll have the patience for that". For where I'm actually at time/energy/skill wise, I tend to like Sonic Sledgehammer

Sonic Sledgehammer is dope. He just seems like a guy having fun making videos and painting in his very simple but effective style. He doesn't have an annoying cadence, and his videos are very typical but helpful especially for newer painters. I always recommend him to newbies!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I didn't like Vince because it seemed like he was dismissive, but I gave it another shake and it's just actually the way he talks, he does actually seem to care, he just doesn't express the emotions in a manufactured positive tone while talking.

I like Ninjon more if only because he seems more "relatable" but he's been kind of a product shill lately and I'm less into those episodes. Thumbnails don't bother me, my suggestions are full of that poo poo.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I didn't like Vince because it seemed like he was dismissive, but I gave it another shake and it's just actually the way he talks, he does actually seem to care, he just doesn't express the emotions in a manufactured positive tone while talking.

I like Ninjon more if only because he seems more "relatable" but he's been kind of a product shill lately and I'm less into those episodes. Thumbnails don't bother me, my suggestions are full of that poo poo.

Yeah, Vince doesn't seem like a bad guy. He just has resting bitch face, and talks like the kind of guy who would make fun of you for saying Batman is in the Marvel universe.

He seems like the kind of nerd at the FLGS that you avoid at first but he's actually chill.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

Sonic Sledgehammer is dope. He just seems like a guy having fun making videos and painting in his very simple but effective style. He doesn't have an annoying cadence, and his videos are very typical but helpful especially for newer painters. I always recommend him to newbies!

He also seems to have a similar taste to me in picking indie mini makers like Vae Victis, Broken Anvil (when they had a digital model Patreon), Anvil Industry, Stonehaven, etc.

It's nice that even some of his Warhammer stuff is done on non-GW minis. Dude just paints what looks cool in a way that doesn't require a lot of practice.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The bottom right reminds me: Black Magic Craft seems decent for learning to build cheap terrain - dude's got a grimdark aesthetic that's not for everyone, but he seems to have some genuinely good tips like that flexible game mat video or the follow-up for flexible roads.

He's got some videos that are "look at this $500 worth of terrain I just built" but a lot of his videos are "Here's how to slap poo poo from the dollar store into something that looks decent on the table."

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Vince beats out pretty much everyone because he has a thousand technical videos on different topics.

He steps through them as an instructional resource, vs trying to be a YouTuber which is very refreshing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

Miniac is chasing the Squidmar path to success. Youtube mini channels don't want the 1% of Youtube that is the hobbyists. They want the other 99% to see them on trending. Which is why this happened for a while.

This is primarily why, like Verisimilidude, I've stopped watching/following channels from guys like Squidmar. The click baity poo poo has just gotten to a point where I'm not even interested in feeding them another tick on their video view counter. If they can afford fuckin Warlord Titans and Tau Mantas and new studios and whatever then they've clearly got Patreon subscribers who they can keep making tailored content for. It's just not for me anymore.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I used to watch every Ninjon video until a few months back. I've learned a lot from him and I think he's still a relatively cool dude, but I just hit a wall with the skits and the shilling.

Verisimilidude posted:

Yeah, Vince doesn't seem like a bad guy. He just has resting bitch face, and talks like the kind of guy who would make fun of you for saying Batman is in the Marvel universe.

Resting Vince-Face.

Verisimilidude posted:

Most of the channels that remain on my feed are small-time people who clearly are doing this as a way to showcase minis or help fund their hobbies.

Mind posting a few of them?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

The bottom right reminds me: Black Magic Craft seems decent for learning to build cheap terrain - dude's got a grimdark aesthetic that's not for everyone, but he seems to have some genuinely good tips like that flexible game mat video or the follow-up for flexible roads.

He's got some videos that are "look at this $500 worth of terrain I just built" but a lot of his videos are "Here's how to slap poo poo from the dollar store into something that looks decent on the table."

I used to like Black Magic Crafts but then he got infected by YouTube and now spends 5 minutes of every 10 minute video talking about random garbage before cutting to the chase and building terrain.

Vince has excellent tutorials. I wouldn't binge watch him but if I have a specific question and he's got a video that answers it that's almost always the best one out there.

The clickbait artists can go get demonetised though. Loads of individuals with actual talent can get by without needing to show their face, many without even saying a single word. I don't need to sit through a "painting" video where half of it is of some pasty nerd's punchable face.

Be tasteful like Duncan or Peachy or Boylei or North of the Border or any number of Japanese modellers who blow everyone else out of the water. Don't be a Mr Beast aping moron like Miniac and Squidmar. Midwinter used to be great but is now heading in that direction as well even without all the issues about his ex.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I like goobertown sometimes but he's been weird on Twitter at times 🤔

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

I think I've heard Vince describe himself as someone that won't tell you you're wrong but is happy to go on at great length about why he feels he is more correct. I find him more didactic than condescending but I get why people wouldn't go out of their way to consume more of him. Not_Darren_Latham is a youtube channel of Darren Latham's old videos and are still excellent and minimally edited if not nearly as comprehensive, but I don't know how many ways there are to describe putting pigment on a model. It doesn't feel like a sustainable genre. And yet Vince still doesn't have a video on brass.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Finished painting my Kulu Ya Ku. Still needs varnish.

This is a fun little guy. There have been too many fun little figs to quote them all.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Of all the people I've considered becoming a Patreon for, I've only ever actually considered Duncan (early on before he started Two Thin Coats) MS Paints and more recently The Painting Phase.

MS Paints has all the poo poo I normally fuckin hate in hobby videos. Sometimes he does short skits (with PUPPETS) and some of his video titles are obviously named certain ways to tweak the algorithm but the dude is fuckin cool as poo poo. He's honest about it and upfront. His videography is on point. His videos have variety and he's got a library of vids I have honestly binged at least 5 videos back to back due to the sheer entertainment of them.

While The Painting phase has one of the best podcasts and it has Peachy and I just fuckin love that guy so much that I kind of want to throw money at him.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I tried making a painting video with an obnoxious thumbnail to see if it actually made a difference but thankfully the viewership was as disappointing as ever. I'm free from your shackles algorithm! You can't kill what's already dead!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Richard Grey rules for just having paint + model being the only thing ever on the screen

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

I don't know if Youtube currently is the worst it's ever been but boy does it feel like it

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lucinice posted:

I don't know if Youtube currently is the worst it's ever been but boy does it feel like it

But what if Taylor Swift had a pop punk era? Makes you think.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is it possible to edit your cookies and only get good recommendations?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Spanish Manlove posted:

Richard Grey rules for just having paint + model being the only thing ever on the screen

He also has the most calming voice and demeanor. And he's really fuckin good at his craft. It's like watching a nice documentary.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

moths posted:

Is it possible to edit your cookies and only get good recommendations?

No, I've tested on my laptop that only ever is used to read papers and YouTube on there is that cursed

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This thread is the most high-level, skillful, genre pushing place to calm and even handed appreciation ratio places for this hobby on the internet.

"5 people post the best thing you've ever seen, creative, technically competent and awe inspiring*
*2 people in audience respectfully clap like they're at the back of a boardroom*
*sign lights up that says - the applause has concluded*

lol this is true.

On the subject of youtube channels, I've found that goobertown hobbies has taken his channel to a place where I'm less interested with the new videos he puts out. Just seems to be endless videos of checking out smaller companies and doing lots of "testing" type things but I want to see videos that either showcase high level stuff for me to try and push towards or more straight up tutorials that are more step by step through different techniques. Which is unfortunate for me because I like his style and voice but the content just isn't hitting.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
He's more terrain than painting but Eric's Hobby Workshop is great and when he does paint, like when he painted HH marines of every legion, his advice is straightforward and practical.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For educational purposes, I don't like it, but for artsy entertainment I really like 52 miniatures. His video about lighting was actually really good overall

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

I used to like Black Magic Crafts but then he got infected by YouTube and now spends 5 minutes of every 10 minute video talking about random garbage before cutting to the chase and building terrain.

Vince has excellent tutorials. I wouldn't binge watch him but if I have a specific question and he's got a video that answers it that's almost always the best one out there.

The clickbait artists can go get demonetised though. Loads of individuals with actual talent can get by without needing to show their face, many without even saying a single word. I don't need to sit through a "painting" video where half of it is of some pasty nerd's punchable face.

Be tasteful like Duncan or Peachy or Boylei or North of the Border or any number of Japanese modellers who blow everyone else out of the water. Don't be a Mr Beast aping moron like Miniac and Squidmar. Midwinter used to be great but is now heading in that direction as well even without all the issues about his ex.

Boylei is out loving standing and I'm deeply invested in the lore of his wild west setting

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Almost as much as Bill Making Stuff’s desert rusting hulk world…

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bill's good, but he has a really weird grudge against my dad. Like every episode, he has to insult him. Bill, my dad died years ago, you've won, you can let it go.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I think this is done until the shoulder pads arrive. I'm still experimenting with the basing techniques but I like how this one came out.

I assume a model won't stick to crackle paint with poly cement? Probably best to do them on their own and such the model on after?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Plasmo and Night Shift are the only model painters I watch, because they have cool ideas a lot of the time and go into a lot of detail work.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Not to sound too much like a sucker, but I love that there’s so much variety to YouTube ham painting.

I started painting back in the late 90s as a kid, and I remember going to the library to get 5yr old UK white dwarfs to look at the pictures, that was about as close to a tutorial as you could get.

It’s amazing now. Turn on computer, 4K multi cam angle cinematic free tutorials. Wild.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ijyt posted:

Plasmo and Night Shift are the only model painters I watch, because they have cool ideas a lot of the time and go into a lot of detail work.

Other than those two, my youtube follows for actual model making (as opposed to making things for games with with game items) are like one model railway dude and then a variety of Japanese people who scratch-build dollhouses and dollhouse furniture and work in complete silence

EDIT: One uses soothing piano music as a soundtrack, but otherwise works in complete silence

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Cthulu Carl posted:

Other than those two, my youtube follows for actual model making (as opposed to making things for games with with game items) are like one model railway dude and then a variety of Japanese people who scratch-build dollhouses and dollhouse furniture and work in complete silence

EDIT: One uses soothing piano music as a soundtrack, but otherwise works in complete silence

You forget the soothing sounds of knives cutting through material. ASMR only a modeller can appreciate.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

You forget the soothing sounds of knives cutting through material. ASMR only a modeller can appreciate.

It's seriously really nice.

And since they don't talk and most of the time the subtitles are in Japanese, you're just watching, wondering where they hell they're going with the plasticard they're gluing together until you realize you just wanted like three minutes of them building a plastic buck to vacuum-form a take out container cover.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like goobertown sometimes but he's been weird on Twitter at times 🤔

Goobs gives me the god damned willies. Something about the way he stares into the camera and narrates everything just weirds me out.

That said, he seems like nice enough dude. I bet we could thug it out and paint together.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Brent just has resting crazy face, but he's super chill

Everyone complaining about YouTube videos having sponsorships or product placement is weird, because that's how these people make their money and can continue to provide hours of information and content

It's like complaining about commercials on TV, they're a necessary evil because ~capitalism~

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

Oooh you reminded me, there's an (I think Australian) guy that builds cute little realistic scenes, sometimes out of model kits but a lot of the time with some scratch built features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

ijyt posted:

Oooh you reminded me, there's an (I think Australian) guy that builds cute little realistic scenes, sometimes out of model kits but a lot of the time with some scratch built features.

That’ll be Luke Towan’s boulder creek railroad.

He’s insanely great.