Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

More comics should lambast Doom for being a ridiculous baby man rather than buying his bullshit.

Yeah, I am deeply happy to see "Doom is literally the guy to cut off his nose to spite his face and he loving sucks" instead of the usual thinly veiled worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Oblivious posted:

More comics should lambast Doom for being a ridiculous baby man rather than buying his bullshit.

He's basically a K6BD Demiurge, hosed up failures the lot of them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Suleman posted:

Matt, you just met the man.
Source: Daredevil (1964) #3

Did the Owl fly over Matt's head and do a huge bird-poo on it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wow Garrison has really been working on his Trump depiction :eyepop:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Beerdeer posted:

Dudes got peanut butter for hair

I assume the artist took his 'man of bronze' nickname too literally, and assumed there was some kind of Cornelius Hawthorne situation going on.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 (2020)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is where I watched Zordon die, Raphael

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Vincent posted:

Doc Savage in a sleeveless shirt feels wrong. He should be wearing a torn shirt with a strand of fabric going from his shoulder to his oddly immaculate cuff.

The '87 mini-series is how I was introduced to Doc so his outfit from it looms large in my head when I picture him but yeah blown up shirt is 100% his normal look.

mercenarynuker posted:

The whole pants sitch here. Is this dude like Master Pandemonium, except he has a balor face in place of a dick?

I never noticed that and now I can't unsee it

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I've always wondered what the deal was with Doc's hair. The Planetary version likewise had the same baffling thing going on, like is he wearing a metal hairpiece, what's going on there?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who the gently caress are you talking to electric powered banana man?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Everyone else: THESE ARE NOT MADE
THEY SHOULD NEVER BE MADE
WE WILL NOT MAKE THEM
WE WILL NOT HELP MAKE THEM

Stark Industries: how many you need, boss

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SimonChris posted:

Doom #10 (2020)
This piqued interest, and oh drat this is the 2019 run where Doom and Kang chat in a train car and travel across Texas lmao (issue #6)

stringless fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 9, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Love to try and speak out loud the crazy comic characters spout out

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Piss is stored in the [redacted]

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Sentinel Red posted:

I've always wondered what the deal was with Doc's hair. The Planetary version likewise had the same baffling thing going on, like is he wearing a metal hairpiece, what's going on there?

I think it's like Harry Osborn's hair and you just shouldn't think about it. But with Doc it looks like something that happened in the '60's. He certainly had a regular head of hair in the 30's and wikipedia says James Bama was responsible for updating Doc's look with the exaggerated widow's peak for the novel's which got transalted to the 60's comic:

It's quite the look

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Darthemed posted:

These two weebs were one second away from describing how their secret bloodline technique was the only thing that could save them.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darthemed posted:

That's like a 10-15lb chunk of steel the yellow ranger just brained her with.

Like, jinkies, scoob, did she just do a murder?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Electric_Mud posted:

It's quite the look

The vegeta isn't a hairstyle for the faint of heart.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

That's like a 10-15lb chunk of steel the yellow ranger just brained her with.

Like, jinkies, scoob, did she just do a murder?

Don't be silly, Power Rangers never murder... unless it's a monster, then they're gonna take them with a big explosion and pose.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Description from the opening of the first Doc Savage story, “The Man of Bronze”:
“This looked like the head and shoulders of a man, sculptured in hard bronze. It was a startling sight, that human bust. The lines of the features, the unusually high forehead, the mobile and muscular, but not too-full mouth, the lean cheeks, denoted a power of character seldom seen.
The bronze of the hair was a little dark than the bronze of the features. The hair was straight, and lay down tightly as a metal skullcap. A genius at sculpture might have made it.”

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

early marvel was kinda weirdly breathless about all new technology stuff. like TRANSISTORS WOW HOLY poo poo

With transistors specifically I can actually see exactly how they got there. Like, pop-sci press at the time also contained a lot of HOLY poo poo TRANSISTORS, and transistors are often colloquially described as "electrical amplifiers". Which is true, in the electrical engineering sense -- you hook up a large power source and a small signal to a transistor and you get a large signal out.

The problem is that to the layperson, an "amplifier" is just something that makes signals bigger, like the amp that turns the small signals from your electric guitar into the large signals blowing out your speakers because of your lovely sound mixing. Not a lot of thought goes into the fact that you need two inputs, the signal and the power, which the amp combines to get the powerful signal. And like, I feel like this still isn't super well understood today, let alone 60 years ago. So you get Tony Stark's "transistorized electromagnet" that lets him mangle a bank vault using an AA cell, because transistors are amplifiers!

This is a recurring theme right up through the red-and-gold era: Iron Man running low on power and needing to plug into a normal-rear end wall outlet to recharge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It was ridiculous but I gotta say, when I did my big Iron Man vol. 1 read-through it was funny being able to relate to it in a way in the smartphone and laptop era, remembering the last-minute saves in weird places to keep a charge going.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

FFT posted:

This piqued interest, and oh drat this is the 2019 run where Doom and Kang chat in a train car and travel across Texas lmao (issue #6)

Now kiss.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Daredevil (2011) #3

The vigilante stuff aside, this kind of poo poo is why so many people want to kill Matt Murdock.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Suleman posted:

Source: Daredevil (2011) #3

The vigilante stuff aside, this kind of poo poo is why so many people want to kill Matt Murdock.

Waid's run on Daredevil. Shortly after this Doc Ock does take over Spider-Man's body and pretty badly brutalizes Black Cat, so I wonder if Waid knew about Slott's plans.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #21 (1946)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #21 (1946)

Even deadlier in the morning!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman: The Power Within (2015; reprints)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Reminds me of the best YouTube vid ever made.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #21 (1946)

I didn't know he was vulnerable to wood until I read The Final Night #3 last night.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Electric_Mud posted:

The '87 mini-series is how I was introduced to Doc so his outfit from it looms large in my head when I picture him but yeah blown up shirt is 100% his normal look.

I read somewhere that Jim Bama owned a real shredded shirt for his models to wear when he was drawing the Doc paperback covers, which is why the shirt looks so similar from cover to cover.

The skullcap look was definitely Bama's work. Doc on the original pulp covers had normal-looking hair:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Superman: The Power Within (2015; reprints)

This isn't quite as dumb as it seems, most bullet proof vests won't stop a knife.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Uthor posted:

I didn't know he was vulnerable to wood until I read The Final Night #3 last night.

In all the panels I've seen where GL is knocked out knocks himself out on a piece of wood, it's just a regular bump to the head that would knock anyone out. Is it implied that he would have been OK, had he bumped his head on something other than wood? Can a building just collapse on top of him and he's fine because he isn't weak to wood anymore?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I honestly don't know anything about the character, but it seemed to me that he shielded himself (and it's not really shown), everything went dark, and he assumed wood went through his shield and he was knocked out.

Flip the page and it's his kid who darkened the area to surprise him? Maybe I need to read his tie-in issue...

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Darthemed posted:

Description from the opening of the first Doc Savage story, “The Man of Bronze”:
“This looked like the head and shoulders of a man, sculptured in hard bronze. It was a startling sight, that human bust. The lines of the features, the unusually high forehead, the mobile and muscular, but not too-full mouth, the lean cheeks, denoted a power of character seldom seen.
The bronze of the hair was a little dark than the bronze of the features. The hair was straight, and lay down tightly as a metal skullcap. A genius at sculpture might have made it.”

Huh.

Still looks dumb.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Grendels Dad posted:

In all the panels I've seen where GL is knocked out knocks himself out on a piece of wood, it's just a regular bump to the head that would knock anyone out. Is it implied that he would have been OK, had he bumped his head on something other than wood? Can a building just collapse on top of him and he's fine because he isn't weak to wood anymore?
That's actually where his weakness to wood comes from - he got slugged with a baseball bat or something in the first issue and knocked out like a regular person so when he woke up he was like "holy poo poo, i'm weak to wood" and then the ring made it reality until he stopped believing it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Plastic Man #52 (1955)

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Darthemed posted:

Plastic Man #52 (1955)

...once the Wizard sat down, where did Plas' head go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TheCenturion posted:

...once the Wizard sat down, where did Plas' head go?

Wouldn't you like to know, uh?