Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the court made wire fraud and bribery legal if you are a political person, 9-0 by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

like on Forbes ?

Yeah, a whole bunch of other poo poo there too. A restaurant that's been around forever is closing because the rent keeps going up by double digit percentages every year. they're successful, they just can't afford the rent

same poo poo on the Rt 51 corridor south of the city, one family owns all of those properties and refuses to sell or lower rent, so as a result there are commercial spaces there that have been empty for two decades.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Nonsense posted:

the court made wire fraud and bribery legal if you are a political person, 9-0 by the way

Libs are gonna lib.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

government exists to serve capital no way

Apr 7, 2003

i am not a commercial real estate ghoul and have no idea what the benefit of keeping a commercial space empty for two decades is, but there must be benefits or they wouldn't be doing it

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

i am not a commercial real estate ghoul and have no idea what the benefit of keeping a commercial space empty for two decades is, but there must be benefits or they wouldn't be doing it

The main one I remember someone explaining is that the potential rent matters for taking loans out on the properties, so for commercial especially it's infinitely better to just rack up every year on year and ride empty with middle fingers held high for leveraging purposes.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

good thing real estate is a fair and open market and landlords don't hang out smoking cigars together talking about how rich they are and sharing tips n tricks like going "bro never lower rents bro, see you gotta do these weird tricks, we all do it, keep rents high like this and you'll make more money trust us bro, joey has twenty properties, I have 75, mike over there has 500"

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea
Later on in the comments this person mentions their manager wants to be included on all PRs to review their code since he learned about ChatGPT. I'm eagerly awaiting the AI generated abortions that are going to require major fixing a couple years down the line because every middle manager business dude thinks they've got a magical code genie.

Ghostse.cx
May 5, 2023

by Games Forum

Beached Whale posted:

Later on in the comments this person mentions their manager wants to be included on all PRs to review their code since he learned about ChatGPT. I'm eagerly awaiting the AI generated abortions that are going to require major fixing a couple years down the line because every middle manager business dude thinks they've got a magical code genie.

Sometimes I feel like I'm insane with everyone gushing over ChatGPT and it's ilk lately. It's just mashing poo poo together into something that appears coherent, there's no thought or experience behind it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Copilot is loving bad lol

I can't imagine someone actually admitting that it can do their job for them

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Nonsense posted:

Cool.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ghostse.cx posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm insane with everyone gushing over ChatGPT and it's ilk lately. It's just mashing poo poo together into something that appears coherent, there's no thought or experience behind it.

Someone, I don't remember if it was on a thread here or on twitter, said that ChatGPT reads like a high school freshman trying to fill out a word count on a topic that they didn't actually do any studying on or understand and that's the best description of it I've heard yet.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Centrist Committee posted:

politics and economics aren’t separate things except in the particular case of the dying “rules based international order”

What matters to the currency union is how member regions can adjust to conditions like deflation without being able to benefit from currency adjustments, and whether you can print money to cover debts. In the US labor can move freely between states, and welfare payments automatically transfer money from, say, New York to Oklahoma. Greece ran into trouble because it had a deflationary economy and couldn't unilaterally enact financial stimulus, and couldn't easily adjust economically within Europe by relocating workers to Germany or benefiting from German welfare funding. And of course they couldn't reduce their debts by inflating their currency, thus heading toward a debt cliff.

Apr 7, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

The main one I remember someone explaining is that the potential rent matters for taking loans out on the properties, so for commercial especially it's infinitely better to just rack up every year on year and ride empty with middle fingers held high for leveraging purposes.

This storefront has never had a tenant in the time I've been driving past it. 24 years now.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Yeah, a whole bunch of other poo poo there too. A restaurant that's been around forever is closing because the rent keeps going up by double digit percentages every year. they're successful, they just can't afford the rent

same poo poo on the Rt 51 corridor south of the city, one family owns all of those properties and refuses to sell or lower rent, so as a result there are commercial spaces there that have been empty for two decades.

Rentier are such a drag on the real economy, for no value-add at all.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Ghostse.cx posted:

It's just mashing poo poo together into something that appears coherent, there's no thought or experience behind it.

this is what actual expert work looks like to normal people. at my job there is a huge rush to use it everywhere and so far everything that people have made with it has glaring errors or it looks obviously amateurish, so far all of it has stayed internal but our actual experts are getting a bit nervous the poo poo will start to leak out.

anyone who is a professional meeting attender/powerpoint producer is plugging all that inaccessible coding, art, and writing work into various ai solutions then running around their respective companies like a cat with a bird carcass to show off the "work" they "produced" because it's the first time they've ever had an actual deliverable.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

triple sulk posted:

AI is so ridiculously subsidized and the cost will only get exponentially worse with future models. GPT-4 has a ton more room with the 8/32k token limits, but the API calls are already at the point where building on them might be prohibitively expensive and end up losing you money depending on what you're doing

Yeah, and with that, even a minor regulatory staring at will end this bubble. This may well be Alphabet's Metaverse moment.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

skooma512 posted:

Rentier are such a drag on the real economy, for no value-add at all.

remember, you shouldn’t spend more than 30% of your income on rent!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Mad Wack posted:

this is what actual expert work looks like to normal people. at my job there is a huge rush to use it everywhere and so far everything that people have made with it has glaring errors or it looks obviously amateurish, so far all of it has stayed internal but our actual experts are getting a bit nervous the poo poo will start to leak out.

anyone who is a professional meeting attender/powerpoint producer is plugging all that inaccessible coding, art, and writing work into various ai solutions then running around their respective companies like a cat with a bird carcass to show off the "work" they "produced" because it's the first time they've ever had an actual deliverable.

sounds like your company needs to lower their standards!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

This storefront has never had a tenant in the time I've been driving past it. 24 years now.

in my layman's mind they just say "yeah rent is 10k a month" or whatever, use accounting tricks to get loans using the properties "projected rental income" or phony/outdated appraisals as collateral on much more lucrative properties, then rinse repeat after those are paid off. If they actually tried lowering rents to the peanuts it would be given its age/location/condition it'd put downward pressure on rents as a whole and every petty landlord would be knocking the guy's mailbox over with baseball bats and swatting his house every weekend for ruining the party (not that they would; they're all in cahoots in the first place)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ghostse.cx posted:

About the same code quality as Junior programmers copying and pasting random “solutions” from Stack Overflow. :v:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
yeah AI in general just feels like it's totally half baked.

like there's an AI tool I use for music, what it does is you feed it a song, like an MP3 or something and it teases out the instruments. So you get a vocal track a bass track a drum track etc. But like it gets confused pretty easily. I use it to transcribe jazz bass parts and like if the bass goes into a higher octave (which is common in walking bass lines) it'll like cut out the bass because it doesn't actually know what the role of a bass player is nor does understand music. Like I could play a clip of a bass player supporting a solo and you would know the bass is still playing but the AI tool doesn't. Or if another instrument goes into the bass's range it will just assume it's a bass part and include it. like it's not actually intelligent it's just doing some crazy math to tease out constituent components of the overall waveform the MP3 is storing. But it's AI!!!

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The real issue in my mind is that the second LLMs started spitting out half-usable content everyone took it and ran with it like 007 grabbing a prototype out of Q-branch with Q (in this case OpenAI) running after him yelling wait!!!! wait!!!! its not ready!!!!

afaik OpenAI is... open about how there are still big limitations with GPT-4, and it's the usual suspect grifters who are doing the hyping and trying to shove it where it doesn't belong or isn't ready for

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Justin Tyme posted:

The real issue in my mind is that the second LLMs started spitting out half-usable content everyone took it and ran with it like 007 grabbing a prototype out of Q-branch with Q (in this case OpenAI) running after him yelling wait!!!! wait!!!! its not ready!!!!

It's literally a race between the fallout from bad results and the desperate desire to fire people or reduce their pay.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

Copilot is loving bad lol

I can't imagine someone actually admitting that it can do their job for them

The question isn't whether copilot is bad, the question is whether it is worse than the average dev. And on that one, I have bad news...

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ghostse.cx posted:

a solution looking for a problem...I guess the latest problem to be solved by SV is "too little noise" on the internet?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah, and with that, even a minor regulatory staring at will end this bubble. This may well be Alphabet's Metaverse moment.

it wouldn't surprise me if global AI energy costs already outpace bitcoin

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thoguh posted:

Someone, I don't remember if it was on a thread here or on twitter, said that ChatGPT reads like a high school freshman trying to fill out a word count on a topic that they didn't actually do any studying on or understand and that's the best description of it I've heard yet.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

19 o'clock posted:

a solution looking for a problem...I guess the latest problem to be solved by SV is "too little noise" on the internet?

the problem? having to pay people. the solution? paying for a robot to do it worse

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Thoguh posted:

I mostly think the AI trend will blow up for the reason(s) I stated with regards to cost, but as of the present I think that the most legitimate uses for it are around summarizing existing (text) data rather than generating new data/text based on a query (e.g. an essay like you said), and even that isn't cheap.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I realize as I type that that an essay is often like a book report summarizing a topic, but I'm thinking of stuff where no opinion is generated whatsoever and it just boils something down to a TLDR

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

triple sulk posted:

I mostly think the AI trend will blow up for the reason(s) I stated with regards to cost, but as of the present I think that the most legitimate uses for it are around summarizing existing (text) data rather than generating new data/text based on a query (e.g. an essay like you said), and even that isn't cheap.

I don't buy it for this use case either. This sort of thing is basically what I've had to spend several weeks evaluating (in the context of technical documentation) and I literally could not get anything that I would consider usable. AI "hallucinations" are still present even with more focused training data and that's extremely problematic when you have a handful of paragraphs or sentences in a larger body that are just completely incorrect.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

As a chemical engineer, it's already really hard to find resources online unless you know specifically what you're looking for. Looking forward to typing in something related to fluid mechanics and getting prices on different lengths of pipe. Irony is that Google scholar is ok, but not great.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Ghostse.cx posted:

the masters never stop rent-seeking

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Justin Tyme posted:

afaik OpenAI is... open about how there are still big limitations with GPT-4, and it's the usual suspect grifters who are doing the hyping and trying to shove it where it doesn't belong or isn't ready for

Not since that bullshit paper about AGI. https://numbersallthewaydown.com/2023/04/06/gpt-4-technical-report-a-blog-post-masquerading-as-scientific-literature/

Not to mention Altman's connections to crypto poo poo.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

It's literally a race between the fallout from bad results and the desperate desire to fire people or reduce their pay.

And to keep the tech stock party going.

There are a huge copyright lawsuits over stolen works used as training sets brewing that could blow up the entire AI field, but I expect SV's close ties to the government will ultimately save them

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Nothus posted:

And to keep the tech stock party going.

There are a huge copyright lawsuits over stolen works used as training sets brewing that could blow up the entire AI field, but I expect SV's close ties to the government will ultimately save them

The other factor that to make them really cost effective to defend, you'd need to gently caress with copyright law that fucks with basically the whole legal structure that allows international trade in IP. There is a reason why the Mouse's tools with AI don't touch full generation outside of stuff like the Vader voice, it's basically either airbrushing or age or Mocap elaborations. The Mouse needs the status quo on IP, and it speaks louder then a few techbros.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

In stock buyback news, Occidental said it would prioritize stock buybacks over expanding carbon capture with any revenue surplus. Granted, we'd need am industry like 2-3x larger than the current oil and gas business doing carbon capture to have any effect on the climate, but Occidental had a big PR blitz over their capture plant in the Permian. Who would have guessed it was a publicity stunt.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

One step further right there's the historian whose name escapes me who writes books about how the British Empire Was So Great For Everyone they should have sat out the Second World War - because the End of Empire was a greater tragedy than the Holocaust or Nazism and there was no need for Britain and Germany to destroy themselves.

did this historian, uhh, forget what happened in asia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sorry but AI bullshit isn't going away, we're just going to be expected to clean up after its mess and adapt our behavior to it.

instead of doing something right the first time, you'll be spending your days correcting the mistakes the ML constantly and consistently makes. "no the customer does not a plate of literal trash, they want the menu item garbage plate"

then it will be your fault if the LLM writing your performance review fucks up, its your fault that you get negative marks for "doing non-job tasks (naval construction) instead of job task (making sandwiches)" because you wrote "i made 50 subs today"