Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mooseontheloose posted:

It all depends on if CNN just decides to constantly platform him over and over again like they did in 2016. They gave him tons of free press by covering his insanity and every tweet.

Well he ain't tweeting anymore. And like I said, if the bump in ratings isn't commensurate with the bump in criticism they get about this stuff, they won't run it as much.

Of course, what's going to happen is CNN is going to come out and say "We've heard your concerns, no more town halls before homer audiences" and then stick Biden in front of the exact same crowd as last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aegis
Apr 28, 2004

The sign kinda says it all.

Harold Fjord posted:

Calling Debs a capitalist or John Brown a slaver would be equivalently incoherent, to use analogous examples

Putin was a colonel in the KGB. It would only be analogous if Debs had been a mid-level Pinkerton or Brown had been a moderately successful slave catcher.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Well he ain't tweeting anymore. And like I said, if the bump in ratings isn't commensurate with the bump in criticism they get about this stuff, they won't run it as much.

Of course, what's going to happen is CNN is going to come out and say "We've heard your concerns, no more town halls before homer audiences" and then stick Biden in front of the exact same crowd as last night.

Matt Lauer's you need to apologize quote to Hilary Clinton comes to mind.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
A Washington Post writer is reporting that some Republican leaders are considering letting the country get to the brink of default, having Biden invoke the 14th amendment, and not really challenging the legality of it in any meaningful way. This strategy is appealing because it can:

- Show they are serious.

- Avoid default.

- Do some political damage to Biden.

- Get out of the situation without looking like they backed down.

- Give them a new attack on Biden for both being extreme and abusing executive authority and hurting the American economy with his refusal to negotiate.

- Help strengthen their hand in future budge negotiations because they can avoid PR problems of being blamed for government shutdowns or cuts like they have been before by pointing to the debt ceiling and Biden's refusal to negotiate a deal even if it hurt America.

The big thing standing in the way of this strategy is that legal ambiguity and having to go through the judicial process could still produce an economic catastrophe. But, they can't fold early and Biden doesn't want to invoke the 14th amendment early because it would remove any responsibility for damage from Republicans in Congress, remove any incentive they have to raise the debt railing legislatively before default, and could still cause economic damage.

https://twitter.com/crampell/status/1656686576892608514

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 11, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Archonex posted:

The guy who took over as CEO is a huge right wing trump type that has shut down at least one reasonably popular show for being "politicized" (read: Criticizing republicans for being corrupt and two faced.)

Which show was this?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Archonex posted:

The guy who took over as CEO is a huge right wing trump type that has shut down at least one reasonably popular show for being "politicized" (read: Criticizing republicans for being corrupt and two faced.) and was most likely involved in the decision to host a town hall for Trump himself at some level. It's not a stretch to say that he's forcing his politics on the company much in the way that many of these types of authoritarian republicans do when they're permitted power.
Yeah the thing is that John Malone is not CNN’s CEO. He is just a powerful Warner-Discovery shareholder. He’s not even board chairman nor does he own enough of the company to make unilateral decisions. He does not have hiring or firing power or editorial control at the network - all he can do is make tacit threats. Which I’m sure have an effect, but aren’t going to be sufficient to turn CNN into Fox. Stelter’s show wasn’t cancelled by Malone. He alleges, and people speculate, that Malone played a role, but it really is just speculation.

The new CEO is Chris Licht who by all accounts appears to be a Democrat and formerly ran the centrist MSNBC show “Morning Joe.”

People at CNN, both news side and money side, are fairly furious with Malone for basically saying “our competitor is better than us”, so he isn’t going to be able to remake everything in his image without going through the rest of the board and CNN executives.

Archonex posted:

It's just another attempt at controlling the narrative through right wing corporate take over by trying to sway ignorant people who don't know of the more insidious agenda at the top.
I don’t doubt that Malone, who was a major, major shareholder at Fox during their Bush-era rise, has that goal. How much his pursuit of that goal is successful remains to be seen. I don’t think we’re going to be seeing Fox stuff like open White Supremacist Hours at CNN any time soon, because even if Malone wanted that outcome, he has to get it through influence, not by taking direct action.

“Malone isn’t involved in CNN management” is basically something they’re legally required to say, so we can’t really know how much it’s true or not. I am sure that his preferences do play a role and will be bad for the media environment and probably for the network’s financial/ratings performance. I just don’t think we should expect CNN to be going “full Fox” any time soon. There are too many mainstream centrists and liberals involved in its editorial decision making, and at 82 it’s not even clear if Malone will live long enough to get the kind of people he wants in place.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm not sure it was exactly "cash crops" but major contributors to the Goloshchyokin Genocide / Asharshylyk of the Kazakhs and the Holdomer in Ukranine was the destruction of the small farms in favor of collectization and using the agricultural workers in factories instead, creating of surplus of goods and exporting of the food that was grown in those regions to the imperial core in Russia.

I wasn't speaking of the overall (often genocidal) Soviet agricultural practices, but rather of how places like Uzbekistan would basically be treated primarily as cotton-growing areas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A court decision explicitly ruling the debt ceiling unconstitutional is not the worst outcome, if they can pull it off without burning down the global financial system and giving up the US's soft power

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This strategy is appealing because it can:

- Show they are serious.

- Avoid default.

- Do some political damage to Biden.

- Get out of the situation without looking like they backed down.

- Give them a new attack on Biden for both being extreme and abusing executive authority and hurting the American economy with his refusal to negotiate.

- Help strengthen their hand in future budge negotiations because they can avoid PR problems of being blamed for government shutdowns or cuts like they have been before by pointing to the debt ceiling and Biden's refusal to negotiate a deal even if it hurt America.

The big thing standing in the way of this strategy is that legal ambiguity and having to go through the judicial process could still produce an economic catastrophe. But, they can't fold early and Biden doesn't want to invoke the 14th amendment early because it would remove any responsibility for damage from Republicans in Congress, remove any incentive they have to raise the debt railing legislatively before default, and could still cause economic damage.

YAh how dare the President, save the American economy and show that he can take decisive action. People hate that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

zoux posted:

Nah, they'd give him an audience as sycophantic with him as last night's was with Trump.

This was Stelter's f/up tweet:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1656708827708899344

Is Stelter's first tweet saying that prior Trump townhalls on CNN in 2015-2016 had larger audiences or is he comparing the viewership to other Trump appearances?

Bc there was definitely some bear-in-a-tutu fascination when he ran for the first time.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Harold Fjord posted:

Calling Debs a capitalist or John Brown a slaver would be equivalently incoherent, to use analogous examples
Putin was not a dissenter in the Soviet system, he was a high-ranking and fervently patriotic intelligence official. Comparing him to Debs or Brown, as someone fighting the entrenched power in his society, is really silly.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you! Would love to live long enough to see things like neighborhood nuke pods or some such futuristic power generators that put an end to the dirty stuff.

Ahh! I made a stupid math mistake, France did 200TWh/decade. ~128 years at that rate.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Morning Joe was literally hosted by a Republican congressman, and oftentimes it showed. Not great if that's what counts as centrist

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

Putin was not a dissenter in the Soviet system, he was a high-ranking and fervently patriotic intelligence official. Comparing him to Debs or Brown, as someone fighting the entrenched power in his society, is really silly.

I think what he did when he came into power from 1999 and after tells us a lot more of his underlying beliefs than his professed beliefs while climbing to power under a very different regime.

Of course climbers profess to support the existing order as needed.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Mooseontheloose posted:

YAh how dare the President, save the American economy and show that he can take decisive action. People hate that.

The argument of "He was so partisan and stubborn that he refused to make a deal, damaged the American economy, and then abused his power to try and fix his mistake. All he had to do was sit down and make a deal!" is a pretty easy one to sell and people really aren't going to reward decisive action if the end result "economic damage, but less economic damage than if I did nothing." They will just see economic damage.

It's a pretty straightforward plan. The problem is that everyone has to wait until the last second for it to happen and that might be too late.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I've tried searching for a CNN show that was recently canceled for being "politicized" and all I can find are a couple cooking shows.

I didn't even know that CNN aired cooking shows.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The argument of "He was so partisan and stubborn that he refused to make a deal, damaged the American economy, and then abused his power to try and fix his mistake. All he had to do was sit down and make a deal!" is a pretty easy one to sell and people really aren't going to reward decisive action if the end result "economic damage, but less economic damage than if I did nothing." They will just see economic damage.

It's a pretty straightforward plan. The problem is that everyone has to wait until the last second for it to happen and that might be too late.

I think they are overestimating how popular that argument will be.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Morning Joe was literally hosted by a Republican congressman, and oftentimes it showed. Not great if that's what counts as centrist
Yes. The US political environment is Not Great.

If you watch the show, it is not in any way connected to current-day GOP politics. Scarborough has definitely moved left since his days in congress (probably mostly to impress his cohost-turned-wife), but mostly it’s the party that moved. From a partisan (not ideological) standpoint, the show is solidly pro-Democrat and anti-Republican.

(That show also has other lovely contributors like Steven Ratner, who is arguably more conservative than Scarborough.)

Not trying to apply some kind of absolute definition of “centrist” but contextually, relativistically, in the US political media environment, the show is aggressively centrist.

Invoking the 14th probably wouldn’t go smoothly but

- political damage in May 2023, especially regarding a kind of arcane economic policy thing, is not going to resonate in 18 months.
- having the debt ceiling declared unconstitutional would end this nonsense for good instead of just pushing it off another two years.

Whether it’s a good idea or not depends on how much economic damage the surrounding “uncertainty” causes. If the economic impacts are really bad then the costs may outweigh the above benefits. I think it’s possible though that as long as the Treasury doesn’t default or miss any payments the disruption won’t be any worse than it was in 2013.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think they are overestimating how popular that argument will be.

Depends on how well Biden can sell GOP demands as unreasonable. He did manage to gently caress them on cutting SS/medicare

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020
Just mint the coin cowards!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

haveblue posted:

Depends on how well Biden can sell GOP demands as unreasonable. He did manage to gently caress them on cutting SS/medicare

No one is going to care about any of these arguments from either side. Literally none of the talk matters. All that matters is whether or not the economy is fine around election time and who can turn out their voters in the correct areas.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

haveblue posted:

Only if he refuses to agree to another austerity commission, as 71 senators voted for a few years ago:

quote:

During the February 5, 2021 debate on Senate budget resolution, the Senate voted 71-29 in favor of an amendment to potentially pave the way for Social Security and Medicare “Rescue Committees.” These committees would have the authority to recommend changes to the Social Security, Medicare and Highway Trust Funds. There would be no limits to what they can propose, including benefit cuts for current and future retirees.

quote:

The Time To Rescue United States Trusts (TRUST) Act would set up groups of a dozen lawmakers with the power to recommend cuts to the [Social Security & Medicare] programs.

That means if only seven members of these so-called "rescue committees" approved of changes, they would be fast-tracked in the House of Representatives and Senate, with no adequate debate among lawmakers within traditional committees and no amendments permitted on the floor of the House or Senate.

But it'll probably be done with great reluctance & sadness if it happens.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Ahh! I made a stupid math mistake, France did 200TWh/decade. ~128 years at that rate.

The US economy is about 7 times larger than France, so if the US put in the same relative effort it could be done in under 20 years.
Of course that won't happen since the country is broken politically and a huge portion of people dont care or dont believe in climate change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I am perfectly fine with them forcing Biden to invoke the 14th Amendment because i would really like to just be done with this almost annual hostage-taking

However, there is some reporting that Biden has already caved

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1656669145499566081?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FlamingLiberal posted:

I am perfectly fine with them forcing Biden to invoke the 14th Amendment because i would really like to just be done with this almost annual hostage-taking

https://twitter.com/jstein_wapo/status/1656669145499566081?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

does this guy have anything meaningful behind this or is it just "i sure feel this way". no i did not click through to the tweet

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

I think what he did when he came into power from 1999 and after tells us a lot more of his underlying beliefs than his professed beliefs while climbing to power under a very different regime.

Of course climbers profess to support the existing order as needed.

That's not a rebuttal to the fact he was a product of the communist system. The purpose of a system is what it does.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Jeff Stein seems to be just going on feels and the idea that nobody would ever let a default happen, so there will be a deal of some kind, and not any specific information.

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1656670113737867271

However, there are some other people reporting that on Tuesday McCarthy tried to negotiate a 2024 budget/debt ceiling combo deal where they lift the debt ceiling through 2024, agree to not raise domestic spending more than 2% in the 2024 budget (but make no specific cuts), agree to vote on permitting reform to make it easier to build both green energy projects and natural gas extraction, and claw back unused pandemic aid money from the states to apply to the deficit.

So, they might not be entirely wrong. But, nobody seems to know if that deal went anywhere or how it was received.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I dont think Santos realizes how hosed he is politically at this point and its clearly all just one big joke to the piece of poo poo. His constiuents loving hate him and want him gone in his traditionally democratic district, McCarthy seems to have no interest in helping him out now either. Hes gonna get Madison Cawthorned as his best outcome probably.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kale posted:

I dont think Santos realizes how hosed he is politically at this point and its clearly all just one big joke to the piece of poo poo. His constiuents loving hate him and want him gone in his traditionally democratic district, McCarthy seems to have no interest in helping him out now either. Hes gonna get Madison Cawthorned as his best outcome probably.
He clearly didn’t care once he got into office. It’s just even less likely now that he gets re-elected.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
was there ever any evidence that he cared before he got elected?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Last couple times this happened the public blamed the Republicans. Why is this time different?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Biden could get a debt ceiling increase in exchange for a relatively powerless, non-binding debt reduction commission it would be a massive victory.

We also do have to address deficits long term and conflating that with “austerity” is not really appropriate. There are other ways to balance the programs other than deep cuts. Under current law benefits are going to be automatically cut 25% not in some far off future but in 10 years - we have to deal with that one way or another. (I certainly know which party I would rather control that process.)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jarmak posted:

That's not a rebuttal to the fact he was a product of the communist system. The purpose of a system is what it does.

It's a bit more complicated than that since at that point USSR really didn't care about communism any more, but its conditions were very much still heavily affected by earlier more ideological periods.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Putin came up in the Communist party, but as part of the KGB and secret police.

Are the intelligence agency and secret police really going to be indoctrinating people in specific macroeconomic business practices? I imagine the secret police and intelligence agencies in totalitarian countries in the 70's and 80's likely operated similarly even if their countries had very different economic systems.

I don't really know what being a middle manager in the KGB in the late 70's and early 80's was like, so I could be very wrong. But, I would think that being part of an international spy agency and secret domestic police agency in a totalitarian dictatorship probably influenced Putin's view of how government should act more than Das Kapital.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gully Foyle posted:

The US economy is about 7 times larger than France, so if the US put in the same relative effort it could be done in under 20 years.
Of course that won't happen since the country is broken politically and a huge portion of people dont care or dont believe in climate change.

And a huge portion of the other half hiss and spit when you mention anything nuclear.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Are the intelligence agency and secret police really going to be indoctrinating people in specific macroeconomic business practices?
Yeah, I agree that it doesn’t make sense to blame communism for any aspect of how Putin, as an individual person, operates. He was (and is) clearly in love with the idea of a Russian-dominated empire, but the economic stuff probably didn’t matter much to him as long as he was personally taken care of.

You can, maybe, hold Soviet communism responsible for creating a society that was so fragile that a right wing oligarchy was able to take hold nearly immediately after the collapse of their government. And older voters are nostalgic for the USSR but don’t express any particularly left-wing political sentiment. It seems like the USSR was a failure in creating the kind of society and values it aimed to, because such a society would likely not have been able to be ruthlessly dismantled the way it was over the last 30 years.

Russia has nukes. They have demonstrated their autonomy by invading a NATO-aligned country and facing no consequence outside of material support for the opposition. You can’t blame things Russia does on the US - they built all those nukes to be independent from our hegemony. Russia did this to itself.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The debt ceiling drama is going to end with cuts.

Liberals keep trying to imagine a narrative that all Republicans are actually under the direct control of corrupt moneyed interests, who only care about profit, and playing with the debt ceiling can have consequences for the Republican's benefactors, so if Biden plays a game of chicken long enough, they'll relent.

But the fact is both the Democrats and Republicans are under the influence of the same moneyed interests, who were pissed off at Obama when he tried the same poo poo and America got their credit rating dropped.

They’re not going to risk potential inflation or the credit rating downgrade that can happen by minting the coin or declaring the debt ceiling unconstitutional, when they can just make a bunch of cuts. Especially now that the US Government is concerned about BRICS.

The lack of negotiation up until now was for the sake of the bourgeoisie. The less drama being reported, the safer America’s credit will be. They’ll negotiate at the last minute, they'll make a bunch of cuts and increase the debt ceiling, and liberals will clap that Biden used bipartisanship to avert a disaster.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 11, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Automata 10 Pack posted:

The debt ceiling drama is going to end with cuts.

Liberals keep trying to imagine a narrative that all Republicans are actually under the direct control of corrupt moneyed interests, who only care about profit, and playing with the debt ceiling can have consequences for the Republican's benefactors, so if Biden plays a game of chicken long enough, they'll relent.

But the fact is both the Democrats and Republicans are under the influence of the same moneyed interests, who were pissed off at Obama when he tried the same poo poo and America got their credit rating dropped.

They’re not going to risk potential inflation or credit rating downgrading that minting the coin or declaring the debt ceiling unconstitutional would be, when they can just make a bunch of cuts. Especially now that the US Government is concerned about BRICS.

The lack of negotiation up until now was for the sake of the bourgeoisie. The less drama being reported, the safer America’s credit will be. They'll negotiate at the last minute, they'll make a bunch of cuts and increase the debt ceiling, and liberals will clap that Biden used bipartisanship to avert a disaster.

It's possible. But, saying Republicans will never fold is sort of demonstrably not true because they folded the last 12 years (although, 4 of those years were with Trump where they weirdly had no issue with raising the debt ceiling. So, I guess they have technically only folded 8 times.)

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Are the intelligence agency and secret police really going to be indoctrinating people in specific macroeconomic business practices? I imagine the secret police and intelligence agencies in totalitarian countries in the 70's and 80's likely operated similarly even if their countries had very different economic systems.

That is very much the point. Communism does not rid us of people trying to endlessly increase their status, it just changes the mechanisms through which it's accomplished.

Edit: And a system failing to maintain itself for more than a few generations before becoming something else entirely different is a problem with that system.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:42 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Putin was raised under state capitalism, not communism.