Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
You fuckin' plebs arguing over an hour or two on your decky-whatits and roggy-whos. The GOAT PlayDate has 8 hours of active game time, 14 days standby. I mean, y'all begging for table scraps when you could be eatin' good.

I mean, look at this. A feast for the senses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ugly-rear end poo poo xbox controllers costin more than an xbox lol.

"ugly rear end poo poo xbox controller connection issues has intermittent connectivity problem solution patch 2024 jesus god someone write new drivers" is what they'll be googlin

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Republic of Gamers lost 4km to Ukrainian ground forces today

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Put SteamOS on it

asus in their galaxy brain wisdom definitely put some proprietary poo poo in there so something basic like sleep mode or sound won't work in steamos lol

afaik their gamer laptops still can't shut off nvidia gpus on linux, leading to absolutely poo poo battery life

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

unruly posted:

You fuckin' plebs arguing over an hour or two on your decky-whatits and roggy-whos. The GOAT PlayDate has 8 hours of active game time, 14 days standby. I mean, y'all begging for table scraps when you could be eatin' good.

Literally cancelled my Playdate preorder when it got delayed to put it towards a Deck instead

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Truga posted:

asus in their galaxy brain wisdom definitely put some proprietary poo poo in there so something basic like sleep mode or sound won't work in steamos lol

afaik their gamer laptops still can't shut off nvidia gpus on linux, leading to absolutely poo poo battery life

lol of course

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
The most amusing part of that article is definitely that the analog stick is so close to the screen that it triggers the touchscreen.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Paradoxish posted:

The most amusing part of that article is definitely that the analog stick is so close to the screen that it triggers the touchscreen.

You think that ASUS employs a QA department? You think they’re Elon rich?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

unruly posted:

quote:

Notably, the toggles for 1080p/720p and the FPS limiter won't always work, and you'll still have to change these in games (Asus said it is considering altering or removing the resolution toggle).

Their solution to on-the-fly resolution/framerate adjustments not working is to remove them lmao

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Paradoxish posted:

Their solution to on-the-fly resolution/framerate adjustments not working is to remove them lmao

I actually hope they lean hard into this. Either the thing will flame out and leave a good set of “what not to do” lesions for others, or they do such a good job that everyone benefits from increased competition.

You don’t have to consult the Oracle to know which one will happen.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Who the gently caress wants to use Windows with a god drat controller and some terrible mouse/keyboard emulation on joysticks?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I like Windows, it's where my programs and files are

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Super No Vacancy posted:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1656666441075286018

???? slapping an ugly ROG nameplate on an xbox elite controller and selling it for portables

Jesus christ the text on those buttons.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I noticed that my decky recorder doesn't work when I'm using moonlight (there's just no record button). Is this a hardware issue where it just physically can't do both at the same time? Or a software thing maybe to keep people from recording certain content?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

republican gamers anus ally is full of poo poo. Big surprise.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sigher posted:

Who the gently caress wants to use Windows

:hai:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

unruly posted:

After that SaGa game launched with messed up controls I don't think anyone does QA in this niche. That's what you have fans for.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Jesus christ the text on those buttons.

press FI to continue

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can’t even order a carrying case for this dumb thing yet lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why does it not come with one? :wtc:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Why does it not come with one? :wtc:

Because they can charge for it!

These things should come standard with a case.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

The battery issue seems better than Steam Deck from this chart in that article:

e: I'm an idiot, it doesn't compare against Steam Deck under Linux.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 11, 2023

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
ASUS is already under fire for overvolting AMD CPUs in their motherboards causing them to blow up so they need this W guys!!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RandomBlue posted:

Marginally. Looking at the times he posted you want to pay an extra 100 for 15 minutes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Marginally. Looking at the times he posted you want to pay an extra 100 for 15 minutes

Well it’s also double the resolution and fps.

It’s kinda a lovely chart though.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
LTT just released a weird video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVgr29NMA0

Just a laundy list of things that suck 10/10

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MarcusSA posted:

Well it’s also double the resolution and fps.

It’s kinda a lovely chart though.

Yeah but I don’t particularly care about that.

I know a lot of people just chase whatever is most powerful but there will always be something more powerful coming out and most people don’t have that money

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Come at the GabeN you better not miss.

Hopefully the Ally gets patched into a better state but to be honest I don’t have a lot of faith in Asus’s software wing. They’re not a software company, do they even know how to fix what’s broken here?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

Eh its kind of a meaningless chart, the only thing that matters here are the wattages. They both have 40Wh batteries, turbo mode is I'm pretty sure the full 30W + another 10W for the rest of the system yeah its gonna run an hour. But all of these things are fully tunable, Deck goes from 3-15W and Ally goes from 7-30W, so you can do the math to get battery life at whatever performance level you're interested in.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Talorat posted:

Come at the GabeN you better not miss.

Hopefully the Ally gets patched into a better state but to be honest I don’t have a lot of faith in Asus’s software wing. They’re not a software company, do they even know how to fix what’s broken here?

I think this is the #1 issue with the Ally, in 18 months (or less, probably less) Asus will probably have pretty much abandoned it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Eh its kind of a meaningless chart, the only thing that matters here are the wattages. They both have 40Wh batteries, turbo mode is I'm pretty sure the full 30W + another 10W for the rest of the system yeah its gonna run an hour. But all of these things are fully tunable, Deck goes from 3-15W and Ally goes from 7-30W, so you can do the math to get battery life at whatever performance level you're interested in.
Just gonna go ahead and do the math to be clear, that puts the ranges at IME an hour and a half (15+10W) to 7+ish (at around 5-6W total with minimum brightness and networking off) on the Deck, and extrapolating that to the Ally, the battery range you can expect is gonna be sub hour to just under 4 hours (assuming about 10-11W total), on the Ally.

e: goes without saying that watt for watt the Ally is more powerful though, so if all you care about is power, straight shooting Deck @ 15W vs Ally on whatever the 15W mode is called, you get more power at the same battery life. if that's all you care about

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 11, 2023

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

MarcusSA posted:

Because they can charge for it!

These things should come standard with a case.

Steam Case is loving great. I don't know how many cases for how many things I've bought over the last 20 years but Stream Case is amazing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vic posted:

LTT just released a weird video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLVgr29NMA0

Just a laundy list of things that suck 10/10

Pretty good video and the windows keyboard part made me lol because that poo poo is so fuckin annoying

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beastie posted:

Steam Case is loving great. I don't know how many cases for how many things I've bought over the last 20 years but Stream Case is amazing.

It's also at least 50€ they could have charged for it but didn't.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

no steam os
no trackpads

DOA!!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

unruly posted:

Yaknow, you joke, but I kinda just want a Lo-Fi gaming console with a library that exclusively comes from itch.io and if the playdate wasn't a forever-in-preorder nightmare to buy I'd probably get one.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 11, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yaknow, you joke, but I kinda just want a Lo-Fi gaming console with a library that exclusively comes from itch.io and if the playdate wasn't a forever-in-preorder nightmare to buy I'd probably get one.

Isn’t that just an analog pocket? I want one for sure but I’d probably just play the same stuff I play on my deck on it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The biggest game of the next 5 years is about to release in 9 hours on the weakest handheld on the market.

I could not possibly care less about the ASUS specs when it doesnt have the basic stuff like the ability to navigate its OS without going through 8 menus

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'd buy the Playdate for $50 but come on that thing doesn't even have a backlight. It's black and white. Get real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

its got a fuckin crank!