Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

George H.W. oval office posted:

3.5 gallons?!? How much coffee is that using per batch

3 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

If you don't want to go to all that hassle, the Wandering Bear cold brew in a bag in a box is pretty dece. They even have a bunch of flavored options if you're into that kinda thing.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I just coarse grind old beans, put em in a 2L ball jar, fill with water, strain it the next morning. I use a paper filter at the end to have a real clean cup. Easy, cheap. Big enough batches I'm not making it multiple times a week.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 27, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

El Jebus posted:

I just course grind old beans, put em in a 2L ball jar, fill with water, strain it the next morning. I use a paper filter at the end to have a real clean cup. Easy, cheap. Big enough batches I'm not making it multiple times a week.

This is the way. Just strain before storing for your wife. No hassle.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I use a 2l mason jar with a spigot and a nut milk bag. You still end up with maybe a quarter inch of sediment if you have a lot of fines but the spigot is above it anyway.

Edit: if you use a nut milk bag make sure you use a wide mouth mason jar because the coffee grounds will solidify into a giant brick and if the jar's mouth is too narrow it can be a bitch to get the bag out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Don't get knotted by the compacted nut bag

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have one of these Hario things.

It's not that good because it has to pretty much be overfilled with water to get the coffee submerged.

We have one of those as well. Messing with a full brew is dicey because of the overfill thing but other than that it rocks. We’re just about to hit cold brew weather and I love having a jar in the fridge for an afternoon treat.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I have one of these Hario things.

It's not that good because it has to pretty much be overfilled with water to get the coffee submerged.

I have this and it’s pretty useful. Used to have some old primitive gear that made way too much. With the Hario thing, I toss in like 83-93g of coarse grounds, fill it up almost to the top and let it brew in the fridge for 20-24 hours. Generally turns out well and I can store it in my little fridge

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

BrianBoitano posted:

Don't get knotted by the compacted nut bag

Lots of people have been saying this

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

The Verve instant coffee packets are actually tolerable.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Big Taint posted:

The Verve instant coffee packets are actually tolerable.

LIES!

And even the highly-rated Waka and Mount Hagen are poo poo. I found Medaglia D'Oro to be slightly less poo poo, but it was still garbage.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I also find Mt Hagen and Medaglia perfectly drinkable LOL

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Mount Hagen isn't bad. It's definitely good enough to stash in your earthquake kit or take camping.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
thirding mt hagen

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
My Vario W (with steel burrs) really seems to create a LOT of fines, despite trying to improve the alignment.

I'm wondering if it would be worth trying to sell it and replace it with something like the Fellow Ode with SSP burrs for pour overs. Is that a good idea? Bad idea? No idea what the resale value of my Vario W would be, but it's a thought.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer
I have a baby coming in a few months and I'd like to squirrel away cold brew in advance of the delivery. Does anyone have a go-to affordable bean option for this purpose? I feel weird using the fancy stuff I use for espresso in such large quantities.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i have previously bought very cheap medium roast colombian in bulk from amazon fresh and it was decent quality, adequately roasted, and even reasonably fresh; not < 1 month from its roast date but also not horribly stale like supermarket coffee almost always is. That was pre-pandemic so ymmv as to the quality now.

A better option is to see if your local roaster will sell you a 5lb bag of whatever medium roast house blend at a discount, but even if they do, amazon will certainly be cheaper.

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 29, 2023

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

I have a baby coming in a few months and I'd like to squirrel away cold brew in advance of the delivery. Does anyone have a go-to affordable bean option for this purpose? I feel weird using the fancy stuff I use for espresso in such large quantities.

Some smaller grocery stores in my area also do in house coffee roasting. It’s generally very cheap if you have one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm getting some frap like drink right now and I watched the person tamp at like a 45 degree angle with barely any pressure but I know it would be ridiculous to say anything damnnn

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

call me vain, but had the niche duo used 64mm or 58mm instead of these monstrous burrs, I would almost consider getting into electric grinders again. but the oversized design to accommodate the bigger burrs just makes it look like utter poo poo

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just got the espresso machine serviced again (was out of commish for the past couple of years), and its just going to be steaming from now on. I just cannot get over how much better coffee tastes to me from the Aeropress.

(I know the answer is different beans for the espresso machine but, eh, I like what I have)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm looking for a grinder for cold brew and pour over, is the 100 dollar oxo good enough of should I spotting for the infinity

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
There's rumors that once the Sculptor kickstarter concludes tomorrow, we Europeans are gonna be allowed to ask for the 78 even though we could only pledge for the 78s. That would be rad, saves me buying the burrs down the road.

I kind of want the white one due to the clear hopper, but I worry that finish is going to look messier than the black one.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I'm looking for a grinder for cold brew and pour over, is the 100 dollar oxo good enough of should I spotting for the infinity

I've heard the Oxo is good enough for most pour overs, and almost anything is gonna be good enough for cold brew.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

I’d personally opt for an extra $50 for an Encore.

Or, it seems Nordstrom has the gen 1 fellow ode for $199, which is an excellent price.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/fellow-ode-brew-grinder/5665931

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Get a refurbished Encore, it will last you decades and Baratza's all about BIL and provides parts to repair and upgrade their grinders yourself if there's ever an issue with it (there won't be).

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 11, 2023

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm on a vacation which is pretty nice. But I thought I'm not that much of a coffee nerd that I still need to bring my Aeropress. I was wrong, coffee here sucks

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

Corb3t posted:

Get a refurbished Encore, it will last you decades and Baratza's all about BIL and provides parts to repair and upgrade their grinders yourself if there's ever an issue with it (there won't be).

There won’t be issues, but the burrs do wear out. Just replaced mine after more than 5 years of use.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
lol, it looks like Timemore is going to try to back out on shipping to all those hard to reach / high VAT countries...

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Currently have a Delonghi Dedica and am considering moving up to a Rancilio Silvia.

At retail price, the machines are probably $400-$500 in difference. Is it that big of a step up?

Thoughts on $500 for a brand new, unboxed Silvia v5?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Tortilla Maker posted:

Currently have a Delonghi Dedica and am considering moving up to a Rancilio Silvia.

At retail price, the machines are probably $400-$500 in difference. Is it that big of a step up?

It's what I would have done, had I known more when I was in your position. Whilst I haven't used the Silvia, it was what I wished I'd got instead of the Sage/Breville Bambino when my Dedica broke. It is a big step up because the Dedica can't use normal filters and baskets, has that weird steam wand and ... well ... mine broke within a year so I'm guessing it's not so well made.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tortilla Maker posted:

I've had my Silvia for 7 years now? It's worked great, has required just a little maintenance in ways that you'd expect. Gaskets need replacing, screens cleaned, etc. Takes a little practice and dialing in, but after you figure it out it's a nice machine. 500 sounds like a good deal with new machines costing 850+. It's not the flashiest or best machine out there, but you can upgrade it with a PID if you want, and if you're after consistent medium roast espresso, it does a good job. PID probably necessary for the lightest of roasts for consistency at least. Requires temp surfing for making milk drinks, but it's not really difficult, just takes making a routine.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I will say I enjoy my Gaggia a lot more after installing the PID. Not having to temperature surf and guess at the temp makes it significantly more consistent and is a nice quality of life improvement as well. Its really calmed my upgrade-itis for now.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

attn: bizwank- My Delonghi ECAM22110SB Magnifica was borked by a power company outage today. I don't think there are any repair places nearby, and I'm 'somewhat' handy with electronics. The machine will try to start, and you can hear the diffuser (I guess?) grind along and start to engage, but freezes. At which point if I down it and try to remove that, it's locked in. If I hit power down, it makes that same sound, then releases back without the machine ever pre-flushing or heating up.

The only logic board the parts list shows is what they call a board display, which sits right behind the front panel buttons. On a 1-10 scale, how likely do you think that that's the part that's broken? And any other advice or scolding, let's have it, pls & thankyou.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Mr. Mambold posted:

attn: bizwank- My Delonghi ECAM22110SB Magnifica was borked by a power company outage today
For starters, why do you think the power outage caused this? Do you have other appliances that are also not working correctly, or was there some obvious damage to the machine (smoke, sparks, burn marks, etc) when the power turned off/on? If not, you should rule out the simpler stuff first.

When you power the machine on and it's sitting there doing nothing, what lights on the control panel are on, and are they solid or blinking? How long have you let it sit in that state to see what it would do, before turning it off again?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bizwank posted:

For starters, why do you think the power outage caused this? Do you have other appliances that are also not working correctly, or was there some obvious damage to the machine (smoke, sparks, burn marks, etc) when the power turned off/on? If not, you should rule out the simpler stuff first.

When you power the machine on and it's sitting there doing nothing, what lights on the control panel are on, and are they solid or blinking? How long have you let it sit in that state to see what it would do, before turning it off again?

I was using it when the power died. No magic smoke or even a smell of it, but the power didn't just die. I'll try to explain (as far as I'm informed). There are 2 120v legs into a residential panel, so there's 120 or 240v available. Half the house lights and stuff were dead, but in other parts things were working. (this happened here a few years ago and killed some other appliance) I should have just left well enough alone, but as you you know "morning without coffee = hell". Then it all died while the machine was on. So, low power fluctuation?, opposite of a surge. That would not cause typical component burning out, afaik, but can still kill a motor or device.

Nothing else was in use. The power light is now the only one going, it blinks yellow and there's like a faint shadow blinking of one of the grind lights below it. I let it sit a couple times until it quit and went into the Red triangle on the right hand part of the led panel. I took out the water trough and slide-out and blasted the inside with high pressure compressed air, maybe 50-60 lbs, considering there might be a gunk-up, but that seemed unlikely. Did a flush maybe a month ago.

It has behaved a bit herky jerky once or twice before. One or 2 mornings in the past, say 4 months, it just wouldn't start up, so I unplugged power, plugged back in and it lit up, on with the show.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Well that's certainly not a normal error state for the machine, any faint flickering lights definitely indicates something extra fucky. I'd try it on a different circuit if you haven't already; if that makes no difference and other electronics are working fine on that outlet/circuit then yeah you may have some damage to one of the boards inside. I'd suspect the main power board before the control board but there's really no way to know which one it is without swapping parts, unless there's obvious physical damage to one of them. At that point you may want to consider sending it off somewhere that handles Delonghi machines instead of ordering a bunch of expensive parts just to test with, but if you do wanna DIY, PM me the serial number and your email and I'll send you all the diagrams/tech docs for it. Most of the parts for these can be had online.

Also in the future just wipe it down or vacuum it out if it's messy, the compressed air probably sent a bunch of coffee grounds where they aren't supposed to be.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

bizwank posted:

Well that's certainly not a normal error state for the machine, any faint flickering lights definitely indicates something extra fucky. I'd try it on a different circuit if you haven't already; if that makes no difference and other electronics are working fine on that outlet/circuit then yeah you may have some damage to one of the boards inside. I'd suspect the main power board before the control board but there's really no way to know which one it is without swapping parts, unless there's obvious physical damage to one of them. At that point you may want to consider sending it off somewhere that handles Delonghi machines instead of ordering a bunch of expensive parts just to test with, but if you do wanna DIY, PM me the serial number and your email and I'll send you all the diagrams/tech docs for it. Most of the parts for these can be had online.

Also in the future just wipe it down or vacuum it out if it's messy, the compressed air probably sent a bunch of coffee grounds where they aren't supposed to be.

The baratza grinder I use is on the same circuit outlet, never been a problem. Thanks, yeah, I actually did shop-vacuum it first. I'll get those #'s. I was looking at a parts list from an online supplier, and I'm actually leaning more toward the power pcb (which is a lot more accessible), but your info would be so much more specific.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there a recommended v60 piece to get? Ceramic vs plastic, etc?

Looking for one that will do a standard 8 oz cup of coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

nwin posted:

Is there a recommended v60 piece to get? Ceramic vs plastic, etc?

Looking for one that will do a standard 8 oz cup of coffee.

The plastic will suck less heat out of the water during the brew so I think it’s recommended

Otherwise whatever I guess?