Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
992 for sure. Everything is widebody and ultra luxury inside.

You could make an argument for 991 but 992 is where I start to lose interest and even the base models have been priced into the stratosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

slidebite posted:

Can we put our finger on what gen the 911 moved from "sports car" to "sporty GT?"

991 imo, or I could say water cooling made them bloated heh. The real answer is 991 though I am pretty sure.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

McTinkerson posted:

wheelbase is shorter

I have no opinion in the sportscar vs gt debate, but I do like looking up wheelbase. They are practically identical @ 97.4" for 982 & 96.5" for 992

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

TheBacon posted:

991 imo, or I could say water cooling made them bloated heh. The real answer is 991 though I am pretty sure.
The 996 was marginally larger in most dimensions than the 993 (except length was a few inches and height the 996 was shorter), but comparing equiv model to model between them, the 996 was actually lighter, more rigid and more power.

But the front end hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down lol

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I was going to say 997 being the last. Based on track width and weight. You could still place them in a lane and had plenty of room to play with.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

no lube so what posted:

I have no opinion in the sportscar vs gt debate, but I do like looking up wheelbase. They are practically identical @ 97.4" for 982 & 96.5" for 992

Well drat. Kudos to the designers for visually pulling that off.

I stand corrected.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

991 was actually lighter than the 997. The answer is always the current generation or maybe the previous is when it all went downhill.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

Can we put our finger on what gen the 911 moved from "sports car" to "sporty GT?"

It's really just a progressive march. Where you draw that line depends on what you're accustomed to driving.

I would have put that at "as soon as it was no longer a 911" (i.e. 964) back when I was driving older cars. I'd probably put it at 997 now, a vastly more capable car but very much more refined.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Well drat. Kudos to the designers for visually pulling that off.

I stand corrected.

They ride on the same platform now and I think go down the same assembly line.

The pedant in me also likes to point out that the Porsche 911 RSR had the engine in the middle not out back.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

They ride on the same platform now and I think go down the same assembly line.

All of my preconceived notions on the technical details of "current" generation Porsche cars are wrong and this is why I love this forum.

Y'all are awesome.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

slidebite posted:

But the front end hit every branch of the ugly tree on the way down lol
Hey! Some of us like our golden amber lenses.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I think a 996 looks good + fine and I'd love to see midnight blue over tan like my boxster.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hi I don't know jack poo poo about Porsches, but I'm curious: if money is no object, why would anyone buy a Cayman over a 911

Beaten, but because the 992 is enormous.

On the bright side, I found an awesome air cooled repair shop for my 993! :toot:

Downside: the owner told me he's 81. :negative:

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

On the bright side, I found an awesome air cooled repair shop for my 993! :toot:

Time to quit your job and become his disciple TODAY

Head Unit Update: My CDR23 thing is making a weird clicking noise when I get in the car and refuses to play my Joni Mitchell CD unless I eject and re-insert it so I'm prolly gonna install this (assuming I can just buy a harness to make it more or less PnP) until I go PCCM+ some time in the fall. Two weeks into DD with the 986 I have decided that car play with traffic info on the dash is actually good + desirable. Mostly because the car is way more fun on surface streets instead of the freeway.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/continental-cd7416ub-or

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 9, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The 996 front end has certainly grown on me over the years, but it's certainly not what I would call good looking. But of course YMMV.

Elite Taco posted:

Head Unit Update: My CDR23 thing is making a weird clicking noise when I get in the car and refuses to play my Joni Mitchell CD unless I eject and re-insert it so I'm prolly gonna install this (assuming I can just buy a harness to make it more or less PnP) until I go PCCM+ some time in the fall. Two weeks into DD with the 986 I have decided that car play with traffic info on the dash is actually good + desirable. Mostly because the car is way more fun on surface streets instead of the freeway.

https://www.bergvillfx.com/products/continental-cd7416ub-or
That's the unit I was looking at as well.

Is the PCCM for the 996 double din? Because I really prefer single and the HVAC being up as opposed to the lower near the console.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

The 996 front end has certainly grown on me over the years, but it's certainly not what I would call good looking. But of course YMMV.

Is the PCCM for the 996 double din? Because I really prefer single and the HVAC being up as opposed to the lower near the console.

The PCCM+ is double DIN and the PCCM is single DIN. The P+ is the intended unit for the 986/996 and following and the P is intended for earlier models. That said, I - like you- would prefer a single DIN option. I'll call suncoast and ask a bunch of questions and report back.

For now, I'll put that conti in as a temporary fix. I am bummed that it's black on orange instead of orange on black for the font, but it otherwise looks OEM.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We talked about you and your avatar yesterday, I was at a work happy hour with a coworker who is also a goon, and she mentioned your egg pic when we walked out to my Boxster. You're famous!

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Out of curiosity, which shop? My intended shop is also a super old air cooled factory tech dude but I keep pushing off taking mine in.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jymmybob posted:

Out of curiosity, which shop? My intended shop is also a super old air cooled factory tech dude but I keep pushing off taking mine in.

Eisenbud's is what I'm talking about.

Where are you thinking?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

Elite Taco posted:

The PCCM+ is double DIN and the PCCM is single DIN. The P+ is the intended unit for the 986/996 and following and the P is intended for earlier models. That said, I - like you- would prefer a single DIN option. I'll call suncoast and ask a bunch of questions and report back.

For now, I'll put that conti in as a temporary fix. I am bummed that it's black on orange instead of orange on black for the font, but it otherwise looks OEM.

I bring tidings! This project is indeed possible!

From this auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-carrera-4-28/
and this dude's blog: https://zerotoflatsix.com/2017/04/13/and-the-band-played-on/ - This is a boxster.

I have no idea what went on with the BaT car, but the boxster is a straight refit, he gutted the audio system and replaced it all. That route is easier in that there's little to no research to do, it's a stereo system install. The 99 carrera could be either super straightforward speaker-level power to speakers or doing some line output conversion poo poo to make a preamp signal. Gonna go ahead and say it is very annoying that the PCCM doesn't do a line out.

For MY CAR - a 2004 986, I have a stereo using the MOST connection which further complicates matters. Basically, I have to take the PCCM speaker output, convert the signal to line out, then convert it to MOST if I want to use the stock Bose amp and speakers. This is my likely route. Might have to make my own wiring harness, but I'll do what I can to avoid that. Otherwise, as I understand it now, I need to gut my entire system, go PCCM -> LOC -> Amp -> New Speakers.

OR, I cave, do the PCCM+ and it will be a very straightforward PnP for a MOST system (based on what I've read)

I thought I had brain worms bad with my e91, the 996 guys are fuckin psychos with generally poor but prolific posting behaviors.

I'm inclined to continue down this route. I value the cubbies AND I value the option to do the GT3 delete thing. ALSO, if I could do a computer terrorism thing or/and convince an AI to do it, I would want to change MOST to MOIST on every car audio forum on the planet.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 11, 2023

blk
Dec 19, 2009

TheBacon posted:

I'd agree - the 991 is also when you could start fitting two suitcases in the frunk (instead of one)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kensei posted:

We talked about you and your avatar yesterday, I was at a work happy hour with a coworker who is also a goon, and she mentioned your egg pic when we walked out to my Boxster. You're famous!
Dubious fame haha.

Elite Taco posted:

I bring tidings! This project is indeed possible!

From this auction: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1999-porsche-911-carrera-4-28/
Well, that's cool to know and thanks for finding and posting that.

I can't see myself doing that. I think a Conti would look way better there... especially for a fraction of the $$.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Residency Evil posted:

Eisenbud's is what I'm talking about.

Where are you thinking?

Stuttgart Motorwerks but for some reason I thought you were east coast so I was obviously way off on my guess :vv:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Oh, stereo pic from me too. The PO replaced the factory unit with an Android in like 2015, and it was no longer updated. Last summer I added this Pioneer and it fit perfectly in what I think was a custom fab.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jymmybob posted:

Stuttgart Motorwerks but for some reason I thought you were east coast so I was obviously way off on my guess :vv:

I moved.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

kensei posted:

Oh, stereo pic from me too. The PO replaced the factory unit with an Android in like 2015, and it was no longer updated. Last summer I added this Pioneer and it fit perfectly in what I think was a custom fab.

Looks great. Thanks for posting tan interior 986 S bro

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

slidebite posted:

Dubious fame haha.

Well, that's cool to know and thanks for finding and posting that.

I can't see myself doing that. I think a Conti would look way better there... especially for a fraction of the $$.

Fair enough.

I've ordered the Avin MOST converter thing and will test it out thusly once it get here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uldWBWLtJc

I'm encouraged to see it working in that nerd's 996. Assuming this part works, I'll get some speaker line out converters and probably proceed with the PCCM. I'm mostly inclined to continue on this path since I believe I'd have to do the same thing to use the conti head unit as well (since I have the Bose sytem with MOST the bergvillfx guys don't sell an adapter for me)

Stay tuned for corn content.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Elite Taco posted:

Looks great. Thanks for posting tan interior 986 S bro

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Tan on Black club represent! I owe you a thanks because you talking about replacing clips made me replace my frunk struts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elite Taco posted:

I've ordered the Avin MOST converter thing and will test it out thusly once it get here.

That looks like the same thing that came with my chinese android unit I put in the Cayenne. The first one died after a few months with no obvious damage to the board. They shipped another one and it's been in there for 4+ years. On a very rare occasion (maybe a couple times a year?) I'll have no audio on start up but turning it off and on again fixes that.

Make sure you turn the PCCM volume to 8 before you take it out. And keep it around just in case you need to adjust this later.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

After many blows by the ugly tree.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Crazy summer weather here in Sweden, 23C today. Really been enjoying the 987.

willroc7 posted:

I think she's a beauty!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Why thank you Clayton. Your 987 looks great. White just looks right on a Porsche, and it’s usually not my favorite car color. My neighbor has a white 718 S and another a white 911 SC (79?). I think it’s a targa or some conversion? Either way I’m the odd man out. I bought mine cheap so I couldn’t be picky about color. In fact, all 3 996’s I test drove were silver lol.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
A dude in a red 981/718 pulled up next to me this morning and gave me a thumbs up. We rolled down the window and chatted for a sec. Said it was his 3rd boxster. I told him the 986 was my first.

Fun moment.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

I find boxster folks to be the most friendly, along with the air cooled 911 people.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

ewww
gross

I still have to wash mine from last years bugs

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

It’s dirty in that pic. That’s the nice thing about silver, it’s the best for hiding dirt. I washed it yesterday and it immediately rained, as is tradition.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Something interesting on my 2001 Boxster S. The frunk latch would not release, despite the light on the dash indicating it had been triggered. I tried the inside toggle as well, can hear it trying but no release. This was outside on the first 90 degree day we have had in the PDX area in a while. I went to the garage later that night and tried again, and it worked. So, anyone else have the frunk latch not work because of... heat?

If it happens again I will replace the latch but it just seems random?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I'm in the same boat- once the heat from the radiators is moving through the front my frunk won't open.

I've ordered a new actuator and will replace it to see if that sorts it out.

Stay tuned.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
There's a kind-of beat up 912 that I've seen parked on the street on my way back from errands a few times, doesn't seem to get driven a lot. Covered in dirt, pollen, flowers, missing a side-mirror and antenna. I'm guessing it's '68 or '69, since it's got the square numbers and not the curved on the back.

I think I'm gonna leave a note on it and see if the owner is interested in selling. Anything to know about the 912 in particular? I know it's got a smaller engine than the 911 but at this point I figure it's probably a decent candidate for an engine rebuild or swap to something anyways.

edit: He's owned it for fifty years, it was his daily driver, right now it's parked on the street because he's using his driveway to work on his 968, and he's not planning to sell it any time soon despite getting around two notes a week since he moved it to the street. Nice guy, though!

Coca Koala fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I threw some 245/35 and 295/30 cup2s on the 718 for my upcoming Thunderhill weekend, upgrading from the PS4s. I’m still learning tire management at the track, the PS4 lasted 8500 miles and 4 track days.

I’m still continually surprised how every time I drive the car it puts a smile on my face. I really didn’t expect that.