Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lost Planet 3 is a third person shooter about fighting giant aliens in groups of 4 with guns. My siblings played the whole series on PS3, and their conclusion is that Lost Planet 2 is very good, and the others are eh, okay, if you want that kind of action but not really worth playing otherwise. No idea how good or bad the PC port is.

Ignore the above because the following post corrected me:

Runa posted:

Lost Planet 2 is the 4p co-op game. If I remember correctly Lost Planet 3 is singleplayer. Marketing materials gave a vaguely Dead Space knockoff vibe for the third game, which is a shame, because the second game was wacky bullshit with mechs and outlandish junkpunk sci-fi mercs and bandits

Looked up the Capcom Humble Bundle and it's:

$1 Tier
Lost Planet 3 Complete Pack
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Strider (the "new" remake)
Mega Man Legacy Collection (Mega Man 1-6)

$10 Tier adds
Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 (Mega Man 7-10)
Mega Man 11
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

$30 Tier adds
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy
Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection (the one with SF2 Hyper Fighting, SSF2T, SFA3, and SF3 Third Strike)
Monster Hunter Rise

How are Mega Man 11 and the Legacy Collection ports? I haven't really heard anyone comment on the latest one. Also not sure if the collections are worth the port or if it's better to just regular emulate those games

Artelier fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lost Planet 2 is the 4p co-op game. If I remember correctly Lost Planet 3 is singleplayer. Marketing materials gave a vaguely Dead Space knockoff vibe for the third game, which is a shame, because the second game was wacky bullshit with mechs and outlandish junkpunk sci-fi mercs and bandits

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

John Murdoch posted:

Rearmed is the remake of the original NES game, which instead ends with violently blowing up Hitler. A truly evergreen ending compared to sad man wife arm Steve Blum betray you.

While the "Plot" is infamous for a reason, another thing loving wild about it was how It seemed to go backwards in quality of boss fights. You start out zooming around a construction site to fight a big helicopter, and it was cool :buddy:

Then you fight a mechanical worm in... a literal parking lot, you throw cars at it. Then you fight another cyborg on a tiny circular platform in the sky ("But we let you blow up their head! That was the important part of Bionic Commando, right?"). Ending with the curse of "The final boss is an abrupt QTE cutscene".

Like, imagine if in a Spiderman game, the only boss you could swing on things was the tutorial boss. "I see you thwarted my parking lot with absolutely zero lamp posts by swinging cars at things, spiderman. But now you face my sky sumo arena with loving nothing on it! What now? Oh no he kicked me off of it several times, but at least he couldn't swing on things!"

Rearmed was cool and good. I never got around to playing Rearmed 2,

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lost Planet 3 owned. Couldn’t give less of a poo poo about co-op games though.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Lost Planet 2 owned. Love co-op gaming with my pals.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Also do I need to know what went on in the other two Lost Planets to not be hopelessly lost in 3?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Commander Keene posted:

Also do I need to know what went on in the other two Lost Planets to not be hopelessly lost in 3?

Nope. It’s a reboot.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
It seems the coolest bird has received a fangame

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

its criminal that lost planet 2 is Actually 100% Completely Unplayable on modern hardware unless you want to go into your PC's bios and disable your CPU cores so you have six or less cores.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

they didn't call it Not Hopelessly Lost Planet

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ShadowMar posted:

its criminal that lost planet 2 is Actually 100% Completely Unplayable on modern hardware unless you want to go into your PC's bios and disable your CPU cores so you have six or less cores.

there's a hack on pcgamingwiki which works around that in a less invasive manner

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lost Planet 2 and 3 were fun and I know that the whole "continually gather thermal energy or die" mechanic from 1 wasn't really scaleable but I was disappointed they cut it from the series. It gave a cool flavor to the game that set it apart, even if it was pretty gamey and janky.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vividlope comes out May 19th!!!

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256921247/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1671054066

other news:

- Lingo is getting an update to have a higher-resolution font, custom texture and shader support (so you can make it look like a slightly different kind of rear end i guess),

- Decarnation launches May 31st, and has 10 tracks composed for it by Silent Hill composer Akira Yamaoka

- Shadows of Doubt got a patch to support multiple player apartments and bugfixes

- Daymare 1994 put up a new demo (full release August 30th)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 11, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I also played a bunch of demos the last couple of days while waiting on Tears of the Kingdom to come out. here's some notable ones

Ruby & Majesty: Treasure Team ($15) - This one is pretty cool. It's a one-stick-per-character puzzle game where you control a human and bat simultaneously as they explore puzzle dungeons that are not too far off from the kinds of puzzles you might see in a Zelda game. It has a neat "what if an OG color Macintosh had more horsepower" aesthetic to it, with a combination of B&W sprites and heavily color-schemed rooms, as well as some additional glitch fx. As you progress through a dungeon you'll find gems, which unlock new dungeons you can explore. From the demo alone it feels like an underrated gem.

MURI ($5) is a tribute to Apogee/Epic games from the early 90s by Daniel Remar (Ittle Dew, Ijji, Card City Nights) and it is extremely authentic in its art, its level design, its chunky scrolling (which you can change to smooth scrolling if you prefer a little modernity) and gameplay. Though, granted, the level design is shorter and better than actual Apogee games from that era since PC devs have learned a few things about level design since those days, and Daniel is a real indie pro. If you ever bought that 3D Realms Anthology Pack and ran out of games to play, you can throw this one in the queue.

Stray Gods (August) (Gamepass) - Woops! There was one LudoNarraCon demo I nearly missed. This one is by Humble Games and Summerfall Studios and it is a musical CYOA where you have to solve a murder by singing with the gods. I'll be honest, I got kind of a mid feeling from the demo. I don't hate the characters, but I don't like the songs. They use synth orchestral/horns rather than actual instrumentation, and they lack hooks and dynamics. The game will likely appeal to theater kids and musical nerds, but I'm not sure it will have much snare with the rest of us.

Potato Flowers in Full Bloom ($18) - A sort of simplified take on the Wizardry/Etrian formula, heavily focused on the dungeon crawling and with relatively simple turn based battles where you can see what opponents are planning to do and react accordingly. I actually liked this demo quite a bit, even though the visuals are very basic, the dev knows how to craft fun little labyrinths to explore. You also can't see your map unless you light up the torches around the dungeon so that's an extra little ocd "gotta light 'em all" bit of gameplay for my brain to enjoy. Characters are created at home base and have the kind of skill point allocation that you would expect from an Etrian game, complete with the dread of "I hope I'm building this character right!!" I'm not sure if there's a respec option. But I'm interested in getting this in a sale.

Spectral Escape (Coming Soon) - I think that this has potential as a block pushing puzzler... although it needs work on the inputs because it was dropping several and that's not super fun for me. Especially changing directions it would drop inputs a ton. The game involves you trying to hurl your character onto a bed of spikes so that their ghost can escape through the prison cell door. There are enough games in the "death puzzle" genre that this isn't quite novel anymore, but I'm curious to see if the game will eventually have hazards/puzzles on the ghost side of things rather than it just being a win state.

DROP ($10) - What others have said is true, this is a cool little 'hacking-lite' game. It's not about realistic hacking in the slightest, extremely gamifying and simplifying it to just single clicks to access nodes, access usernames, download files, etc. You do eventually have to shield yourself from attacks with a firewall, and so having to go back and manage the health of the firewall becomes a major part of the game loop, which almost makes Drop a 'timing management' game like one of those Heart's Hospital games, except for hacking. You have a certain amount of cpu threads that you can dedicate to tasks on the board, which will keep that thread busy for a little bit. So you have to decide when and where to devote your resources while also making sure to dip back and protect yourself. In addition to the firewall, you'll eventually encounter log servers where you'll have to devote processes to deleting the log entries of all your actions. So despite the simplicity, it does look like the game will ramp up its complexity just in terms of the tasks and threats you have to juggle. Definitely a cool concept and execution.

Hero.EXE (Coming Soon) - I include this here because I think it will appeal to some people, though it didn't appeal to me. It's a combination of deckbuilder and Mega Man Battle Network combat, where you place cards into your hand as abilities to use and then it becomes real-time and you use the abilities much like you'd use the chips in MMBN. It's got a lot of VN elements and a hexagon map that felt kind of limited to move around on. Again, not really for me, but could appeal to others. With the entire MMBN series on Steam now, however, it might be better to just get that.

NeverAwake ($20) - This plays way better than I was expecting from screenshots. I thought that the screen framing was too close and claustrophobic, but it's perfectly fine. This is a combination of shmup and twin-stick shooter where you are battling nightmares. You beat levels by consuming the soul drops that enemies leave when you kill a batch of enemies (much like you'd get a powerup in a traditional shmup) until you hit 100%. Until you do, you'll loop through the level again, but I believe the level gets a tiny bit harder each time. This allows for small stages that still have shmuppy design like caves you fly through and stuff, so it's not just you in a void, which is something I've never liked about a lot of indie Steam shmups. There are also bosses where you have to defeat them multiple times (much in the same way you'd loop), and each time they get harder, until you hit that 100%. While the demo didn't have any customization of the character, it seems like you can equip other weapons and accessories in the main game. Would've liked to have seen some functionality like that in the demo, but the demo was fun at least.

Other demos that I played that I didn't think were interesting enough to give a full highlight, or just didn't work on the Steam Deck: Plow the Snow, Pepo, Overplasma, Sekisai, Titanium Hound, Pile Up: Box by Box, Million to One Hero, Memoria, Iridium, Ultionus, Mariposa & the Galaxy Man

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't care what the others say about you, The 7th Guest, you're my favorite goon

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The 7th Guest posted:

DROP ($10) - What others have said is true, this is a cool little 'hacking-lite' game. It's not about realistic hacking in the slightest, extremely gamifying and simplifying it to just single clicks to access nodes, access usernames, download files, etc. You do eventually have to shield yourself from attacks with a firewall, and so having to go back and manage the health of the firewall becomes a major part of the game loop, which almost makes Drop a 'timing management' game like one of those Heart's Hospital games, except for hacking. You have a certain amount of cpu threads that you can dedicate to tasks on the board, which will keep that thread busy for a little bit. So you have to decide when and where to devote your resources while also making sure to dip back and protect yourself. In addition to the firewall, you'll eventually encounter log servers where you'll have to devote processes to deleting the log entries of all your actions. So despite the simplicity, it does look like the game will ramp up its complexity just in terms of the tasks and threats you have to juggle. Definitely a cool concept and execution.

DROP actually released over a month and a half ago -_-

I totally binged it and finished within a few days, 8.5 hours to the victory screen. VERY addictive little game, that ramps up and gets quite frenetic to the end. One minor criticism is I feel there was potential for more depth with increased automation of the plate-spinning so you could manually deal with every more esoteric threats, but I realize that that's just me asking for the perfect game instead of the little $10 game that it really is.

Really, if the worst thing I can say about it is "I wish there was more!", I think that's kind of a compliment?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

:coolbird:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Sab669 posted:

I don't care what the others say about you, The 7th Guest, you're my favorite goon
yeah, appreciate you doing these!

Serephina posted:

I totally binged it and finished within a few days, 8.5 hours to the victory screen. VERY addictive little game, that ramps up and gets quite frenetic to the end. One minor criticism is I feel there was potential for more depth with increased automation of the plate-spinning so you could manually deal with every more esoteric threats, but I realize that that's just me asking for the perfect game instead of the little $10 game that it really is.

Really, if the worst thing I can say about it is "I wish there was more!", I think that's kind of a compliment?
mirrors my feelings. Didn't add as much stuff beyond the demo as I'd kind of hoped, but at $10 i'm sure not gonna complain

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sab669 posted:

...what are they saying :smith:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only good things, I was just being silly ♥

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The 7th Guest posted:

Gosh darn that 7th Guest for introducing us to sick new games! :arghfist:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

:shobon:

i should mention most of the demos i've played over the past month-ish still have their demos available, so be sure to try the demos yourself if the games interest you, so you can see if you vibe w/ them

i have another 50 demos installed on the steam deck, and then i've got a triple digit number of demos still yet to install :sweatdrop: but i'll be in the Zelda zone for a while starting tonight so the demo playing will take a backseat

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 6th Guest, now...gently caress that guy, he super sucks

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

The 7th Guest posted:

That no one uses 'tryst' as a verb so that your one puzzle is bullshit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I can go for a remake of that 3D Realms Anthology Pack with those Muri changes. Just can't stand the tiny screen space of them.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

They're saying that some of your puzzles are CPU bound and completely impossible on modern hardware. You seriously need to fix this

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

The 6th Guest, now...gently caress that guy, he super sucks

I find the 8th Guest to be a bit much.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Propaganda Hour posted:

They're saying that some of your puzzles are CPU bound and completely impossible on modern hardware. You seriously need to fix this
apparently the 25th anniversary edition of T7G on Steam is just a mobile port locked to 15fps, lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

apparently the 25th anniversary edition of T7G on Steam is just a mobile port locked to 15fps, lol

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Serephina posted:

Are there any hacking games out there that are basically Neuromancer/first 2eds of Shadowrun-type hacking? Drop “looks” like that, even if some design choices differ, but I remember setting up Matrix runs on index cards-per-node for the Decker while in high school in the late 80s-early 90s. Just wondered offhand if anybody ever recreated that experience and I missed it over the last 30 years.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

MURI ($5) is a tribute to Apogee/Epic games from the early 90s by Daniel Remar (Ittle Dew, Ijji, Card City Nights) and it is extremely authentic in its art, its level design, its chunky scrolling (which you can change to smooth scrolling if you prefer a little modernity) and gameplay. Though, granted, the level design is shorter and better than actual Apogee games from that era since PC devs have learned a few things about level design since those days, and Daniel is a real indie pro. If you ever bought that 3D Realms Anthology Pack and ran out of games to play, you can throw this one in the queue.

you can tell Daniel is an OG because he used the Ctrl and Alt keys

game needs a footstep noise though

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Godsworn has a demo out Steam's Tacticon fest. I've only played part of a skirmish so far, but it's definitely midway between Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 with some convenient, automated resourcing mechanics.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
As a Dorfromantik enthusiast, PanOrama is different enough to be enjoyable. You don't have to worry about matching edges which removes a lot of what made Dorf challenging but it has a bunch of other stuff going on. Seems like another nice relaxing little game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mordja posted:

Godsworn has a demo out Steam's Tacticon fest. I've only played part of a skirmish so far, but it's definitely midway between Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 with some convenient, automated resourcing mechanics.

I apparently added this to my Wishlist back in August; gonna download the demo now :toot:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

The 7th Guest posted:

My wishlist has grown fat and decadent, and my wallet rues the day you registered

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^That is in fact probably how I wind up with 34 titles on my Wishlist now, whereas it used to always be like under 10 for a very long time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mozi posted:

As a Dorfromantik enthusiast, PanOrama is different enough to be enjoyable. You don't have to worry about matching edges which removes a lot of what made Dorf challenging but it has a bunch of other stuff going on. Seems like another nice relaxing little game.

Oh that's good news!

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Are there any hacking games out there that are basically Neuromancer/first 2eds of Shadowrun-type hacking? Drop “looks” like that, even if some design choices differ, but I remember setting up Matrix runs on index cards-per-node for the Decker while in high school in the late 80s-early 90s. Just wondered offhand if anybody ever recreated that experience and I missed it over the last 30 years.

Since we're all talking about hacking games like DROP, and I very much like to flatter 7th Guest by following his example of recommending cool stuff, one that showed up for me recently was Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum which I've been very interested in:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256823420/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1663455361

Very much a top-down cyperpunk immersive-sim like Prey or Deus Ex with a heavy focus on giving you tons of builds and powers that can be used to creatively get through challenging missions.

On one hand, you can treat this like a top-down shooter similar to Hotline Miami: just drive your car right through the wall of the mission building and start kicking down doors, blasting all of the guards with your arsenal of crazy weapons. When the going gets tough, use your cybernetic powers to work the odds in your favor: overload your brain to slow down time, power up your arms to eliminate recoil completely, pull up a shield to deflect bullets away from you, and so on. Once everyone is down, hacking the objective is as simple as strolling up to it, as well as picking up all of the other collectible upgrade points hidden in levels.

But why work harder when you could work smarter? Instead of driving your car through the wall, just park yourself outside the building, sit down, pull out your laptop, and start camera hopping like Watch Dogs 2 to get a layout of the land. From there, start tapping in code into your laptop like Quadtilateral Cowboy and work your magic: disable all of the cameras, turn the automated turrets against them, detonate that grenade on that guard, hell if you're slick enough with your hacks you might be able to get to the server without killing a soul or raising an alarm and just drive away. But until you get that slick, you'll have to beware of counterhacks that will hinder you in rather creative fourth-wall breaking ways, like tilting your view at an angle or blacking out parts of your screen.

At the end of the day you'll probably use a fusion of abilities for both combat and hacking. For example, if you slow down time in combat, you can flip out your laptop and hack that missile heading towards you and rotate it to return to sender. Or you can camera hop to disable all of the guards' weapons to give you an advantage before you go in and shoot them all with your silent pistol room-by-room. Set up some crazy Rube Goldberg machine accidents like Desperados 3 where you lure guards with sound and the like: there's so much to do. The game features a main story where you're trying to repay your resurrection debt, but you can also take tons of side missions for cash and upgrades similar to something like Uplink.

It's in early access at the moment so I haven't played it for realsies yet (I like to wait for full release), but I very much enjoyed what the demo had to show. If you like to wait like me, consider playing some of the other games I highlighted here to whet your appetite.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 11, 2023

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

What is Lost Planet 3, and how good is it? I bought the :10bux: tier of the Capcom Humble Bundle to pick up, well, mostly MM11 but I have at least a little interest in Bionic Commando, Dragon's Dogma, and Strider, but I don't really know anything about Lost Planet at all. I'm trying to decide what to keep and what to give away.

Lost Planet 3 is one half decent shooter game where your character is a working class schlub taking a dangerous assignment to support your family because the money is good and dealing with enjoyable stereotypical national co-workers and petty commission work politics. The back half is forcing that decent game, despite it being a prequel, into the absolutely batshit anime plot of Lost Planet 1 and 2 and just ruining its own premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mordja posted:

This is a fun little RTS. It reminds me a lot of Battle Realms except there isn't really any macro. Hearkens back to just build a fat doom stack o dudes then roll your way to victory, which is fine by me.