Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

winegums posted:

That shadow cabinet list is just embarrassing. A who's who of burnouts and arseholes. The labour party should be presenting an energised hyper competent shadow cabinet ready to enter power with fantastic ideas and a clean slate. Instead they're clueless and mired in scandal before they leave the starting line

During the last decade, most centre-left social democract parties in Europe have collapsed in vote share, mostly due to their centreism and incompetence. Most notably the Socalist Party in France, but even the currently-governing SPD in Germany is only there as part of a 3-party coalition and are in equal competition with the Greens, rather than being a dominant partner.

For a brief period the Labour Party seemed to escape this fate, under Corbyn. However, now that any idea of hope or optimism has been purged from the Labour Party, I think Starmer will cause the same fate. He'll get into government, and be so disappointing and incompetent that he'll start the decline of the Labour party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

More like bollocknese... etc.

bologknees

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

Another issue is that there will soon inevitably be global "left-behind" zones, mainly in the Indian subcontinent and parts of the Middle East, because wet-bulb temperatures will reach a point that anyone who can't emigrate gets turned into sous-vide.

Whether the global community manages that human tsunami with some kind of structured, cooperative, redistributive approach, or else with hypermilitarised ecofascism, is currently unclear but the former approach would probably be a lot better for everyone both in terms of human flourishing and in pure bean-counting of GDP

Lol j/k of course we're going the eco-fash route

That's really my most immediate concern about climate change. We're (most likely) not going to see the climate in northern Europe going to poo poo that badly in our lifetimes, but there are definitely going to be more and more displaced people from other regions and the question is how we deal with that. Militarised borders and concentration camps seems like a pretty plausible outcome right now. There are some hopeful outliers - in Germany and Sweden the public response to Syrians fleeing the war in 2015 (a war which was arguably an effect of climate change) was not too awful, refugees from Ukraine have been broadly seen in a sympathetic light across Europe. But then you look at the actual help offered even to the "good" refugees and the discourse about "economic migrants" and how that is apparently a bad thing and also anyone from certain countries isn't a real refugee and so on and it's all pretty grim.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The optimistic bit is that it's like a few dozen arseholes doing that, and outside of Parliament they're failing at the narrative.

The pessimistic bit is that the power centres are still poo poo.

Failed Imagineer posted:

More like bollocknese... etc.
Mail has found the solution for the climate refugee future :yum:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

During the last decade, most centre-left social democract parties in Europe have collapsed in vote share, mostly due to their centreism and incompetence. Most notably the Socalist Party in France, but even the currently-governing SPD in Germany is only there as part of a 3-party coalition and are in equal competition with the Greens, rather than being a dominant partner.

For a brief period the Labour Party seemed to escape this fate, under Corbyn. However, now that any idea of hope or optimism has been purged from the Labour Party, I think Starmer will cause the same fate. He'll get into government, and be so disappointing and incompetent that he'll start the decline of the Labour party.

FPTP is the only reason this isn't already happening

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

That's really my most immediate concern about climate change. We're (most likely) not going to see the climate in northern Europe going to poo poo that badly in our lifetimes, but there are definitely going to be more and more displaced people from other regions and the question is how we deal with that. Militarised borders and concentration camps seems like a pretty plausible outcome right now. There are some hopeful outliers - in Germany and Sweden the public response to Syrians fleeing the war in 2015 (a war which was arguably an effect of climate change) was not too awful, refugees from Ukraine have been broadly seen in a sympathetic light across Europe. But then you look at the actual help offered even to the "good" refugees and the discourse about "economic migrants" and how that is apparently a bad thing and also anyone from certain countries isn't a real refugee and so on and it's all pretty grim.

While it's a very evocative image, inter-country migration is rare for a reason - travelling long distances is hard. Migration, when it happens, tends to at first be inter-country - rural to urban, usually in the context of climate risks. Climate change may ruin your land, but it doesn't destroy your government, and people very much tend to stick to what they know rather than gamble on the unknown. See the recent floods in Pakistan - absolutely apocalyptic to those flooded, but the response isn't "flee to India" or even "flee to Islamabad", as much as "rebuilt what we had, but poorer". Even when, as in the case of Syria, you do get large migrations due to violence (which may be climate change linked), they mostly stay local - of the roughly 12 million Syrian refugees, only ~ 1 million fled to europe - most relocated in Syria, or went to Turkey or Lebanon.

The future isn't swarms of indian climate migrants travelling half the way around the world to northern Europe, and that's just playing into conservative fantasies. The future is sprawling slums of New Delhi or Baghdad or Lagos as more and more people get pushed of their land by drought, with the linked economic crisis of reduced local output just as more imports are required to feed the population.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sebzilla posted:

FPTP is the only reason this isn't already happening

Yeah, this. Easy to keep your voteshare with absolutely minimal effort if the barrier to compete is immensely high.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1656640323177545730?t=OQt9YLfi-BwfbkD2_pKr7g&s=19

Lol.

But surely he knows that you only have to turn your back for a second and they'll have hosed It

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Bidens a moron who should stick to loving up his own country.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dysgenesis posted:

Since at least the Truman Doctrine, US Presidents have been explicitly committed to loving up multiple countries simultaneously

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Find someone who loves you as much as Biden hates the English.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Biden hates all Brits equally. Except for Wales, because he watched that Free Willy movie and thought it was very unfair how Bill Clinton got done.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Nothingtoseehere posted:

While it's a very evocative image, inter-country migration is rare for a reason - travelling long distances is hard. Migration, when it happens, tends to at first be inter-country - rural to urban, usually in the context of climate risks. Climate change may ruin your land, but it doesn't destroy your government, and people very much tend to stick to what they know rather than gamble on the unknown. See the recent floods in Pakistan - absolutely apocalyptic to those flooded, but the response isn't "flee to India" or even "flee to Islamabad", as much as "rebuilt what we had, but poorer". Even when, as in the case of Syria, you do get large migrations due to violence (which may be climate change linked), they mostly stay local - of the roughly 12 million Syrian refugees, only ~ 1 million fled to europe - most relocated in Syria, or went to Turkey or Lebanon.

The future isn't swarms of indian climate migrants travelling half the way around the world to northern Europe, and that's just playing into conservative fantasies. The future is sprawling slums of New Delhi or Baghdad or Lagos as more and more people get pushed of their land by drought, with the linked economic crisis of reduced local output just as more imports are required to feed the population.
I don't disagree with your reasoning, you're quite right that people prefer not to leave their homes to travel halfway around the world. Conservative fantasies are what drive policy though: suggesting the existence of a threat, whether realistic or not, and proposing a xenophobic and punitive response is cheap, easy and sometimes popular. A majority of refugees staying close to home still leaves quite a lot of people affected by horrible immigration policy in Europe. And not only immigrants, because if you have an exclusionary, racist environment then you're going to find some groups to exclude and be racist to regardless of where they are from. Even if you end up on the right side of the barbed wire fence it still sucks that you live in a country that decided to put the fence up.

Guavanaut posted:

The optimistic bit is that it's like a few dozen arseholes doing that, and outside of Parliament they're failing at the narrative.

The pessimistic bit is that the power centres are still poo poo.
That's somewhat hopeful.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I mean the UK does love to screw around with Ireland from time to time.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1656640323177545730?t=OQt9YLfi-BwfbkD2_pKr7g&s=19

Lol.

But surely he knows that you only have to turn your back for a second and they'll have hosed It

Ireland are out of Eurovision while the UK is guaranteed a spot in the final, so it seems like his fears have been realised.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol.

Good old Joe. He drove past our house on his way into Belfast

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Climate Change Talk.
Depends on where the new wind streams lie, if any.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Good old Joe. He drove past our house on his way into Belfast

" For you, the day Biden graced your village was the most important day of your life, Jack. Not a joke, not a joke. But for me, I didn't know what day it was, man."

E:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Convex posted:

on jeremy vine today: has wokeness impacted your workplace? co-presented by basil brush and gordon the gopher

keep it on channel 5 until this evening for britain's hardest dinner lady

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
with ross kemp :manning:

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Dysgenesis posted:

Tbh I think it's great that he was born on a Scranton street where the royal drums did beat

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dysgenesis posted:

Prod detected

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Biden has enough on his plate without having to worry about the Troubles reigniting

https://twitter.com/zachsilberberg/status/1627108785947828225

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol.

https://arethebritsatitagain.org/ :colbert:

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I think it's underappreciated just how hosed the UK is because we're mired on it. We're staying afloat due to money laundering but there's places that are doing it better than us and are only being held back because money men are scared of Muslims. As soon as conservatives realise the light of Islam we're hosed.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Dysgenesis posted:

Speaking as a Nationalist and a Remainer, gently caress no.

It's nice to have someone hold Westminster and Stormont by the bollocks and shame them into not being such complete assholes.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Speaking as a Nationalist and a Remainer, gently caress no.

It's nice to have someone hold Westminster and Stormont by the bollocks and shame them into not being such complete assholes.

:haibrow:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It won't make a drat bit of difference though will it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

It will make a few of the butt hurt gammons die quicker from strokes and heart attacks.
But other than that, not much.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

HopperUK posted:

I'm not yet cynical enough to believe that the preferential treatment Northern Ireland has received since Brexit is due solely to the ineffable natural grace of Westminster and the DUP.

And speaking purely from experience, it definitely makes a difference on the ground whenever we have large external stakeholders like the US and EU loudly saying "We're watching you to make sure you're not loving around in Northern Ireland, Britain," on account of the history of loving around here that happened before.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Johnson was blatantly banking on a second Trump term for some of the poo poo he had planned, so however useless Cornpop is as POTUS it would have been worse.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Johnson was blatantly banking on a second Trump term for some of the poo poo he had planned, so however useless Cornpop is as POTUS it would have been worse.

And there was increasing chatter on 'gently caress it lets build that irish border, it wont affect us, it will bring the Brexit we really wanted' from Hoey, Mogg, Davis, Farage, GB News, etc.
Even after the red/green lane fix was dealt and the DUP was crying from its pram.

A 'dont gently caress with NI' takes one of the things the tories can use to win the next election. "Here, we just strengthened our sovereignty by telling the EU to gently caress off out of NI.
Sure the place is on fire and bodies are piling, but those are remoaners who don't appreciated British made goods which are now tax free." +70 election swing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Microplastics posted:

I'd be super interested in what the anarchists' practical plan is for worldwide open borders - is it literally "just open the borders and let the world sort itself out?"

I ask because I admit to a little cognitive dissonance on the issue. On the one hand I think we do need to limit immigration out of just practical reasons, but on the other hand the lottery of being born in a random spot in the world is deeply unfair.

Eh, I think that societal borders are they only thing that have stopped humanity from congregating en masse in one location to permanently strip mine it of resources and prosperity before moving onto the next.

Edit: just realised that makes me sound like a close the borders type.

I'm not, I just think a situation of 7+ billion people being able to go anywhere over the course of centuries before things like countries existed, would result in most of them going to the "best" spot until it wasn't the best anymore.

Like giant megacity type poo poo.

Kin fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 11, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would argue that based on historical observations, in fact borders help facilitate the separation of the strip miners from the people being strip mined, occupiers from occupied, and that ability is necessary for the accomplishment of rapacious extraction of value because if you felt like you belonged to the people and the place you were doing it to, you wouldn't.

It is not the only mechanism, wealth and class, titles and offices also achieve it, but the nation and the border is a powerful tool.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kin posted:

Eh, I think that societal borders are they only thing that have stopped humanity from congregating en masse in one location to permanently strip mine it of resources and prosperity before moving onto the next.

Edit: just realised that makes me sound like a close the borders type.

I'm not, I just think a situation of 7+ billion people being able to go anywhere over the course of centuries before things like countries existed, would result in most of them going to the "best" spot until it wasn't the best anymore.

Like giant megacity type poo poo.
You can do that anyway with free movement of capital and trade, which was what the first round of globalization was all about.

Stopping free movement of people while pushing for that is just "yeah we stole all your resources, but what makes you think you can come get a job in our city that we built with all the resources that we stole?"

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/skynewsbreak/status/1656745287765880841?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Wouldn't that sense of belonging be the basis for “ownership“ and the start of countries/borders etc?

If we're assuming a more nomadic approach (i.e. borders are no concept) would it not be a case of consuming everything as needed until nothing remained before moving on?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think open borders necessitates nomadism. Some people want to move, but they usually want to move and then stay where they moved to, and it doesn't mean they lose affinity for the place they moved from.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was often the other way around too.

"Wherever the British went they built a fort, some docks, and a botanical garden, the latter to discover what valuable plants grown elsewhere might flourish under the guns of their fort as well."

Imperial globalization was as much about plantation as extraction, although in the case of plantation it was the people whose labour was being extracted.

Nomadic people seldom have the need for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also nomadic or semi-nomadic societies existed in relatively stable states for a long time until some event happened to force them out of it, often either someone else turning up and killing them or some major climatic disruption.

People often moved simply where it was convenient, you have many ancient historical examples of seasonal settlement, where people would follow the weather and the food, they obviously understood that those resources were not always available and needed to be managed.

It wasn't the native americans who nearly wiped out the bison despite having a lot more time to do it if they'd wanted to.