Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Maroon Hawk posted:

That’s honestly what I was hoping for in TotK, though I realize having key items would be kneecapped by being able to do the dungeons in whatever order you want

This never stopped LTTP speed runners. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

FlapYoJacks posted:

That's an interesting topic because even discounting glitches ALttP can be pretty non linear as long as you leave a dungeon when you get the proper item. With some exceptions like Thieves' Town which could be done first based kn what stuff you did. It's partly why randomizers work so well on it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlapYoJacks posted:

[Nintendo waiting room]

Me: [chanting] Link, Link-

Other posters: Link, LINK

Mods: [pounding their clipboard] LINK, LINK, LINK!

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Levitate posted:

Thanks, I didn’t play very much and usually give games some time but Throne’s opening bit just felt stilted and weird (just picked a character to start at random). Will try turning the voices off too since I can’t really get on with that at least now
I’ll give it some time was just wondering what people end up liking about as they play
Throne's plot is middling imo, kind of grotesque and grimdark compared to the others. Ochette's is my favorite by a country mile, followed by Temenos, then Partitio. Osvald's is pretty good too but it's longer than the other intros, and quite slow.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

I meant more that you wouldn’t be able to design your dungeons on the assumption of the player having key items from prior dungeons. The Forest Haven in WW makes use of the grappling hook, Tower of the Gods makes use of that and the Korok leaf, etc etc

Whereas if the player can do the dungeons in any order than you have to design them to be completed with none of the key items

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I kind of didn't enjoy most of the chapter 1 stories and gameplay flow in octo 2, slow cutscenes and single main party member stuff is meh but yeah game gets great as soon as you get over that hump

So imo "when does this game get good" is surprisingly relevant in the context of this convo
I'd say maybe 5-8 hours in

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jigsaw posted:

Well, looks like I won’t be playing TotK now. You idiots go have fun with your trash game for losers while I enjoy peak gaming.

I’m glad that there is a variety of awesome games to play on the Nintendo switch

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh yeah the We ❤️Katamari remaster comes out in a month. Too much stuff

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

God drat want there to be pegasus boots and hookshot and mole mits in totk

hell give me the gyro spinner

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't believe we have less than 12 hours until the Switch 2 is revealed during an unskippable ad that plays the first time you launch TotK.

Away all Goats posted:

I bought the Switch Online game voucher deal. Obviously one game is gonna be Tears of the Kingdom, but what should I use my other voucher on?

Thinking of:
Any of the Xenoblade games (I have never played any of the Xenoblade games, will I miss out on a lot if I just buy the 3rd one?)
Any of the Fire Emblem games(Only played the GBA one which I bounced off, but willing to give the series another try)
Mario Strikers
Mario Golf

I already own most of the other major titles (Smash bros, Mario Kart, etc)

Xenoblade 3 is better than 1 and 2, though they're all worth playing tbh. You can play 2 without playing 1 or 3 without playing 1 and 2 but you'll have more context for a few things if you've played them all. That said, you can't go wrong with grabbing XC1:DE but they're all an easy 100+ hours of content and 60+ even if you're mostly focused on the main story with little to no side tracking. OTOH, if you aren't exploring in a Xenoblade game you are absolutely playing it wrong.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I got a replacement joycon from Nintendo this morning, just in time for TOKT!

Nintendo's Joycon repair service (at least in America) seems quite generous.

The last time I engaged with repair support was to fix joycon drift many years ago and I don't remember the repair support being so robust/applicable to things other than drift. Quick turn around time too! Took just over a week from requesting support to receiving a new joycon today.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Oh my, I forgot about reviews landing today. I think I'm gonna try my hardest to go in totally blind tomorrow morning.

I am vibrating with excitement.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Tbf I'm not sure if I actually like xc2 more than xc3 or if I just made the mistake of attempting to play them back to back resulting in me being Xenobladed out

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Tbf I'm not sure if I actually like xc2 more than xc3 or if I just made the mistake of attempting to play them back to back resulting in me being Xenobladed out

I feel I liked the combat more in xc2 than 3. Once you crack it down it was pretty fun. But I also played them back to back

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The world in 3 was amazing but the relative lack of towns and horrible loot system also bummed me out a bit, but I'm someone who got excited at getting gacha crystals

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
I'm off tomorrow, buddy of mine and I are picking up our copies at Best Buy then grabbing breakfast before I spend the rest of the day Zelda-ing.

We're the only gamers at work interested in Zelda. I've never met a more unfortunate bunch.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

KingSlime posted:

I kind of didn't enjoy most of the chapter 1 stories and gameplay flow in octo 2, slow cutscenes and single main party member stuff is meh but yeah game gets great as soon as you get over that hump

So imo "when does this game get good" is surprisingly relevant in the context of this convo
I'd say maybe 5-8 hours in

Good thing the demo is capped at 3 hours! Hah
I’ll play around with it

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hmmmm based on some early reviews and player impressions it sounds like the weapon synthesis stuff makes the game lean even harder into weapon durability than botw did

Also my b yall it does sound like they reuse the entire overworld map from the first game with changes and stuff. Still getting it but hype has diminished a bit considering I have a huge backlog of other really exciting games

I guess the leaks I was reading were focused on new stuff rather than reused stuff

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 11, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It does and it doesn't. Spoilered just to be considerate when you fuse an item to a weapon it gets new properties and is considered a new item. Then, when you defuse it it resets the weapon to a new default. Essentially you can fuse a monster part to a sword, fight with it and then when it's about to break, defuse it and fuse a new item to get a fully restored durability weapon.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Alright, reading some of these reviews I'm pretty sure the Switch 2 will launch with a TotK expansion that's basically Tears of the Kingdom: Four Swords Adventures: GTA Online

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It does and it doesn't. Spoilered just to be considerate when you fuse an item to a weapon it gets new properties and is considered a new item. Then, when you defuse it it resets the weapon to a new default. Essentially you can fuse a monster part to a sword, fight with it and then when it's about to break, defuse it and fuse a new item to get a fully restored durability weapon.

True but it sounds like this just makes the issue worse because base weapons are much weaker with low atk ratings than in the original games in order to incentivize fusing. So you've essentially added extra steps just to get a viable weapon that can still break, you are incentivized for fighting monsters now so which kind of nice I guess

Anyway I guess I'll see for myself tomorrow!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

maybe they were wrong but seeing people break down the system elsewhere fusing doesn't reset base durability, but pauses it for a set number of hits, resuming when it runs out and isn't reset by additional fusion

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
my copy of TotK came today but I have work for the next couple of hours but then will get to play so that's neat

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Congrats, thread: this is the first time in my 10 years on this site where goons and FOMO have convinced me to get a game Day 1 when I was previously gonna wait a month or so.

I'll look around tomorrow to see if anywhere has it, and if not, I'll grab it early next week. :dance:

Soul Glo posted:

my copy of TotK came today but I have work for the next couple of hours but then will get to play so that's neat

That is somehow always both the best and the worst feeling!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KingSlime posted:

Also my b yall it does sound like they reuse the entire overworld map from the first game with changes and stuff.

how did you not know this until now lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
No I mean like the entire thing is reused. I was certainly not expecting that in a Zelda game

As for the new/added stuff, people have mixed opinions on whether it's substantial enough or whether this game feels like an expansion rather than a sequel

Albw kinda reused alttp's map and although it was a great game and the map was different enough, exploring a brand new world is one of the biggest draws for me in a Zelda game!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

hatty posted:

Oh yeah the We ❤️Katamari remaster comes out in a month. Too much stuff

Oh nice! That'll be my TotK off-game when I need to wind down or something.

Also is there anyone in here that isn't getting Tears of the Kingdom?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Motto posted:

maybe they were wrong but seeing people break down the system elsewhere fusing doesn't reset base durability, but pauses it for a set number of hits, resuming when it runs out and isn't reset by additional fusion

Yeah, here's the breakdown of how fusing and durability work together in Totk. The subreddit is filled with clips of people playing the leaked version so watch where you click if you decide to go exploring or reading the comments on the post.

They didn't use any new weapons or materials for the testing.

https://old.reddit.com/r/TOTK/comments/13bnlx0/testing_how_durabilty_and_fuse_interact_detailed/

KingSlime posted:

No I mean like the entire thing is reused. I was certainly not expecting that in a Zelda game

As for the new/added stuff, people have mixed opinions on whether it's substantial enough or whether this game feels like an expansion rather than a sequel

Albw kinda reused alttp's map and although it was a great game and the map was different enough, exploring a brand new world is one of the biggest draws for me in a Zelda game!

In short, the people saying its a $70 expansion or large DLC are just trolling. You'll see in a few hours.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Soul Glo posted:

Lucky-rear end mofo

Meanwhile here I am waiting for the digital version to unlock.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't care for open world games in general and nothing about what they've shown so far indicates it's anything more than "More Breath of the Wild". Which is great, I hope everyone else loves it, but I got bored with BotW and I'm gonna save myself $70 to get bored of this one too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Mega64 posted:

Lucky-rear end mofo

Meanwhile here I am waiting for the digital version to unlock.

Same. My life is pain. To boot, due to how my schedule works out on Fridays, I probably won't get to crack it open until Saturday morning. How am I going to sleep?!?!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Len, probably. :P

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
TotK has so much new map area that they added a power that allows you to (mechanic spoilers) float upward through the ground to reach the surface. Presumably the underground must be enormous

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Artix posted:

I don't care for open world games in general and nothing about what they've shown so far indicates it's anything more than "More Breath of the Wild". Which is great, I hope everyone else loves it, but I got bored with BotW and I'm gonna save myself $70 to get bored of this one too.

Good for you! It's good you know yourself and your tastes. I'm looking forward to it. What're you playing in the meantime?

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

KingSlime posted:

you (and everyone else) should read the dev interview they put out this week, as they go into great detail why they reused the map

In short, they never once considered making an entirely new Zelda game with a new map. They always wanted a direct sequel to BotW, and early on in designing they committed to keeping the same world as well. They worried that otherwise they wouldn't have the time or resources to dedicate to other new features or innovations, leading to people thinking a hypothetical BotW2 was just BotW all over again with another map

So they chose to keep the base map, but also added two new layers (sky and underground) and did a mini time jump so that the world could gradually change. They even call out how they went to great pains to balance new additions with keeping things to same so that it didn't feel too samey or too alien. They wanted to feel like you were returning to a place you fondly remember, but has changed enough to revisit.

This approach freed them up to spend the majority of the dev time on other things:
- First, they were able to complete things they had meant to do in BotW but ran out of time, like being able to fly and cave systems. They even admit that exploration in BotW wasn't what they wanted it to be because there wasn't enough variety to things you could find climbing
- They then explored other ways to break Zelda and gaming conventions, which lead to things like Ultrahand and Fuse, as well as this game's version of a magic meter (the Zonai battery stuff)
- Finally, they explicitly call out they were impressed and inspired by all the social media videos of people doing insane poo poo, so they went out to make a sequel in which players could feel like they were the only people in the world to solve a puzzle a certain way, which they viewed as the distilled Zelda experience

extremely thoughtful stuff, and it makes all the discourse about reusing the same map or "it's just DLC" look extremely foolish

Part 1 (of 5):
https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/ask-the-developer-vol-9-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-part-1/

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm not getting TOTK right away. I personally thought BOTW was overall fun but marred by bad combat with HP sponge enemies, so I'm gonna wait at least until the "honeymoon phase" wears off and see if my complaints with the first game get addressed at all.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Not as interested in any potential underground stuff, but I absolutely can't wait to fly around. :allears:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

This post owns, and I'd read that interview if I didn't want to go in as blind as possible.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Mega64 posted:

This post owns, and I'd read that interview if I didn't want to go in as blind as possible.

understandable, but please consider reading this exchange with Aonuma because it is the most Aonuma thing imaginable

I love that this dork is steering the ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

WarpDogs posted:

understandable, but please consider reading this exchange with Aonuma because it is the most Aonuma thing imaginable

I love that this dork is steering the ship

*raft