Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dailies in HSR are like FF14 dailies in that you get some rewards and story but you don't have to do them to if you don't want to. Which is good, giving multiple ways to get the daily stuff means you won't burn people out as fast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hoyo's writers still like to get a bit overly verbose instead of getting to the point but on the whole Star Rail is still leagues better than Genshin in that regard. It probably helps that we don't have a Paimon repeating every other thing that was just said.

In general, the writing for Genshin always felt like it was deliberately constructed to be very "family-friendly" and everything was sanitized and dumbed down so that it'd be approachable and marketable for kids. Any narrative beats that were more adult or complex felt like something incidental, in the same way that say a Disney movie might slip that sort of stuff in "for the parents".

Star Rail doesn't seem to have that same atmosphere of deliberately holding back, and there's absolutely nothing in Genshin that ever indulged in the same manic energy and whimsy that you get with, say, rooting around all the Belobog trashcans.

e: As a counterpoint, though, both games still have all the endless filler in the form of incredibly dull lore notes where Generic NPC #245 writes a letter to their family about every piece of minutiae about working for the town guard, or where you find a 5 page requisition form outlining all the supplies the quartermaster needs from central command, etc.

King of Bleh fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 11, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hoyo's writers still like to get a bit overly verbose instead of getting to the point but on the whole Star Rail is still leagues better than Genshin in that regard. It probably helps that we don't have a Paimon repeating every other thing that was just said.

Have you considered though that Paimon gets it?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

That is a long time for the Taunt to be 100%

and I didnt even know it wasn't guaranteed until now, but sure does explain why things still never attacked MC, lol.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It should really be 3-5 turns

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

That is a long time for the Taunt to be 100%

and I didnt even know it wasn't guaranteed until now, but sure does explain why things still never attacked MC, lol.

the taunt is 100% to begin with (to be affected by effect rate/res after), it's damage reduction that's scaling

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

King of Bleh posted:

In general, the writing for Genshin always felt like it was deliberately constructed to be very "family-friendly" and everything was sanitized and dumbed down so that it'd be approachable and marketable for kids. Any narrative beats that were more adult or complex felt like something incidental, in the same way that say a Disney movie might slip that sort of stuff in "for the parents".

Star Rail doesn't seem to have that same atmosphere of deliberately holding back, and there's absolutely nothing in Genshin that ever indulged in the same manic energy and whimsy that you get with, say, rooting around all the Belobog trashcans.

e: As a counterpoint, though, both games still have all the endless filler in the form of incredibly dull lore notes where Generic NPC #245 writes a letter to their family about every piece of minutiae about working for the town guard, or where you find a 5 page requisition form outlining all the supplies the quartermaster needs from central command, etc.

I don't know if rooting around trash cans and reading irreverent dialogue about street lamps really makes HSR "less sanitized" nor does the traveler's inability to do so make genshin "family-friendly."

which plot elements of HSR would be out of place in Genshin by virtue of the latter's sanitization?

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Motto posted:

the taunt is 100% to begin with (to be affected by effect rate/res after), it's damage reduction that's scaling

The orange numbers are always the scaling so I expect the Taunt chance will never go up and you have to gear for it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Genshin has its share of darker hosed up poo poo, it's just reserved for sidequests and background lore. The finale of the Jeht quests was some :dogstare: poo poo

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
What's the best way to earn local currencies once the missions have dried up? I'm 430 Hertareum, 180 Shields and many, many Strales (naturally, quests there are only half-available) from buying out the respective local shops, and I've already exhausted sidequests like mine-cart wrangling and compass twirling.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think nobody important being able to do anything evil in Genshin is more because it's a gacha game and they want every playable character to be sympathetic, not because they're targetting only kids.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That is absolutely not the case in Honkai. And uh, you can play as Childe the fight sexual dude who just loves fighting even if it takes burning a city down to get a good one or Wanderer the guy with delusions of godhood whose stated goal with those powers was to kill everyone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It should really be 3-5 turns

I should probably just put Gepard back in the party even though he's boring

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

mycot posted:

I think nobody important being able to do anything evil in Genshin is more because it's a gacha game and they want every playable character to be sympathetic, not because they're targetting only kids.

they want every character to be cool and/or attractive

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

delfin posted:

What's the best way to earn local currencies once the missions have dried up? I'm 430 Hertareum, 180 Shields and many, many Strales (naturally, quests there are only half-available) from buying out the respective local shops, and I've already exhausted sidequests like mine-cart wrangling and compass twirling.
Do all the incidental/hidden sidequests and one-time (or two-three-four-time) events, like talking to the foodbot right next to the store, powering off all of the robots, watering the plant, finding the magic toilet, all the paper cranes, unlocking the 3-key office, finding collectibles and then talking to the right person to trigger a quest from them, etc a examples on the space station. There are sites that will show you the locations of everything.

You don't even have to do everything in all the areas either, I've fully bought-out the shop and still have like 120 herta coins left over.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Eimi posted:

That is absolutely not the case in Honkai. And uh, you can play as Childe the fight sexual dude who just loves fighting even if it takes burning a city down to get a good one or Wanderer the guy with delusions of godhood whose stated goal with those powers was to kill everyone.

this is just cartoon villain stuff though?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Wowza, The Hunt path really is powerful.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Eimi posted:

But they go out of their way to never actually depict (or directly describe) Childe or Wanderer killing any innocents, even if you can easily extrapolate that as an intended outcome or something they've probably done in the past. They leave open that option to paint them as redeemable/sympathetic characters.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you
I was kinda dismissive of Hunt path for awhile because I always valued more the defenses that Preservation and Destruction provided, but going Hunt was crucial for beating 4-2 for me. All I needed was Nihility's +45% Weakness Break Efficiency and then two of the Hunt resonances to consistently deal lots of damage while keeping Svarog locked down with breaks.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Threw 3 singles on a whim at the LC banner and nabbed me the limited. Time for Seele to get even stronger.

e: On that note, do you still want atk shoes over speed even with the LC?

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 11, 2023

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Hunt seems generically strong, it's the path I take if I don't have a particular reason to use a different one. Big damage, and the speed means when I need to heal my healer probably has a turn coming up before the boss does.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

UHD posted:

I don't know if rooting around trash cans and reading irreverent dialogue about street lamps really makes HSR "less sanitized" nor does the traveler's inability to do so make genshin "family-friendly."

which plot elements of HSR would be out of place in Genshin by virtue of the latter's sanitization?

I'd characterize the difference so far as more of a tone thing. They're both pretty PG in terms of the explicit plot beats, but I do think that having crass jokes about magical toilets and dumpster diving etc lend a different color to things.

It also matters a lot for tone that your main companion NPCs are normal humans with their own separate lives, instead of Paimon. And I say this as someone who enjoyed Paimon. Having the goofy joke mascot character relegated to the sidelines instead of hogging the spotlight for every moment of gameplay was a huge upgrade imo.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Bringing a guy back from the dead
, just another day in side questia

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i mean the star rail vs genshin debate is kind of moot right now, anyway

the first closed beta for star rail was in 2021, the content we have now has been cooking for a bit. when both games have their not-release stuff it will be better the gauge the two imo

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I liked collecting some newlywed's collection of doujins and anime figurines. Easily the best bit of precious trash I've picked up.

I am a little disappointed I needed to actually do the daily quest for this idiot kid's ghost story about a toilet. C'mon, I already got a toilet cheevo, I should just be able to tell him "yeah it's a warp toilet. It's over here in a storeroom if you wanna go on a trip."

delfin posted:

Mostly wandering around talking to people until you stumble on a quest to go mining or fix someone's emotional support robot or find a vase to fill with trash or whatever. There's plenty of hidden quests, as opposed to someone sending you an sms asking for help. But it's all in the oldschool rpg way where you gotta rub your face on everything.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Do DoTs count for Pela's passive to debuffed enemies?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

delfin posted:

Hertareum

Shield

Strales (Puzzles)

e: Actually that user made the same guides for all of those links and you can check their profile for other guides for hidden achievements and so on.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do DoTs count for Pela's passive to debuffed enemies?

They sure do. So basically every Break Effect works to give her some extra damage output.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I have such a sinking feeling that this'll be like collecting all the little totem things in GTA games, where if I don't keep track of which ones I've done from the beginning I'll never get all of them and get the rocket launcher at my safehouse.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

delfin posted:

I have such a sinking feeling that this'll be like collecting all the little totem things in GTA games, where if I don't keep track of which ones I've done from the beginning I'll never get all of them and get the rocket launcher at my safehouse.

San Andreas is the game that went way too far with endless collectables IMO... taking pictures, finding packages, finding seashells in the ocean...it was just way too much man.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Hellll yes, did not think I was close to a clear but the boss fight actually went pretty smooth. This was my first run trying Asta instead of Yanqing; was worried that only having one DPS wasn't going to be enough, but damage was fine. Having another character contributing to breaking the boss seemed like it really helped too.

I love SU, it's really fun to try building a party around the different paths. I just ground out the rest of the index, so I'm glad it's the only place I can get 5* relics so I still have an excuse to run it.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Well, did all the quests and cleared SU6. Time to wait for more story I guess

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Path of Elation was pretty rad. I have a Himeko along with March, so stacking buffs on Follow-Up attacks is pretty sweet.

Especially that one 3-star blessing where all ultimates benefit from "follow-up attack" buffs. Orbital Strike for thousands of damage.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

King of Bleh posted:

I love that poo poo tho

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly I think the big difference in writing is that they let other characters exist and have like, arcs and motivations. Instead of everyone just being a cameo who exists entirely to advertise themselves for the gacha.

It's still pretty straightforward and sanitized, but just hitting that bare minimum helps a lot.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 12, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sumeru did a decent job with that but yeah inazuma was wild. the only character who actually participated in the story was a generic npc who died, and kind of yae. everyone else was just around.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

part of that is it isn't the trailblazer's story. they are just along for the ride. the only thing that makes them special is someone else's plan.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Why do I need so many gears to upgrade Clara and Nat and why do I get so little

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly I'm a little afraid though that when we start getting new characters from old planets (like Serval and Gepard's little sister) we're also going to get pointless diversions in the main story just to introduce them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i doubt it, even genshin really didn't do that. it was usually just events, not the main story. i think the only time the main story really did that is the chasm with yelan, and the chasm is kind of cool