Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

TNA NFTs reminded me of Jim Cornette's failed NFT project.

They minted like 600 NFTs and barely sold any, losing a bunch of money in the process.
How do you lose money selling NFTs? Did they spend a bunch of money on marketing and design? (I hope not, in the latter case.) I have no idea how much money it costs for the electricity to mint a NFT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

How do you lose money selling NFTs? Did they spend a bunch of money on marketing and design? (I hope not, in the latter case.) I have no idea how much money it costs for the electricity to mint a NFT.

It costs money to mint an NFT. How much depends on several factors that are way too boring to learn about but given how few they sold I think it's safe to say it was not a money making venture.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah they probably hired someone to design and set them up and didn't sell enough to make that money back. Being the dude who gets paid to make NFTs for people who don't understand them (aka everyone) is the only part of this grift that makes sense, because presumably you at least get paid up front.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No you literally have to pay transaction fees (usually referred to as ‘gas’) to put your NFTs onto the blockchain in the first place before you can sell them.

They have to be paid every time the NFT changes hands too because it’s grifts all the way down.

Everything about NFTs is even stupider than you first imagine.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Cornette NFTs and Bischoff's "Blessed" book are some of my favorite recent failures. Since I bought the Nitro book they must have added me to some list, as I got increasingly desperate and discounted emails asking me to buy Bischoff's stupid book about hunting and fishing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

Cornette NFTs and Bischoff's "Blessed" book are some of my favorite recent failures. Since I bought the Nitro book they must have added me to some list, as I got increasingly desperate and discounted emails asking me to buy Bischoff's stupid book about hunting and fishing.

The cover art for Blessed is my favorite in wrestling history.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I cannot find any trace of "Blessed" by Eric Bischoff on google.com. Was it retitled "Grateful" or is that a follow-up?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

History Comes Inside! posted:

No you literally have to pay transaction fees (usually referred to as ‘gas’) to put your NFTs onto the blockchain in the first place before you can sell them.

They have to be paid every time the NFT changes hands too because it’s grifts all the way down.

Said gas fees can be stupidly high AND the transactions take forever on the biggest chains, making the whole 'crypto is the future of currency' thing even more obviously bullshit as well. Blockchain is basically a niche tech that's useful for specific databasing applications... which some assholes decided needed to be more than that and have been trying for a decade-plus to make it the answer to some kind of problem

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

I cannot find any trace of "Blessed" by Eric Bischoff on google.com. Was it retitled "Grateful" or is that a follow-up?

It is in fact Grateful. It's just very forgettable.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yea the end grift of nfts is people who own the marketplaces tricking people into thinking its easy money and then charging them listing/transaction fees.

Said marketplaces also happen to be owned by crpyo exchanges, where you can conveniently buy etherium which is the only method of payment their nft market accepts.

The whole owning jpegs fad makes a lot more sense when you realize it was mostly astroturfing meant to stimulate a slowing crypto economy.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 11, 2023

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
If WWE couldn't make money off NFTs why the hell does TNA think they'll somehow do better?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Doing stuff other companies did unsuccessfully, but even worse, is kind of their whole thing

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

MassRafTer posted:

It is in fact Grateful. It's just very forgettable.

I'm laughing that I couldn't even remember the name. But I sure remember those stupid loving boots on the cover.

In what universe do these think guys people care about any of their thoughts outside of "AEW is bad?" If he wanted to continue the grift he should have just written a book like that

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
This quote from the press release (from May 11, 2023) is pretty telling

quote:

The NFT market grew dramatically from 2020 to 2021. The trading of NFTs in 2021 increased to more than $17 billion, up by 21,000 percent over 2020’s total of $82 million.
Wow! Incredible growth from 2020 to 2021. If this trend continues, I guess there must have been like $400 billion dollars in NFT last year, with 2023 on pace to reach like eight trillion dollars of NFT... if only there was any sort of numbers about how well NFTs have done in the past 18 months, but I guess they haven't compiled it yet? Let's just stick with the 2021 numbers, no particular reason.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

No, that's great graphic design, Eric. Just let the babyshit yellow sit against the photo background, no need for any sort of outline to delineate it.

You could make a better book cover than this on your phone in six minutes.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I think Blessed may have been one of the Vince Russo books. I'm pretty sure he wrote some piece of poo poo with a title along those lines.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

edogawa rando posted:

I think Blessed may have been one of the Vince Russo books. I'm pretty sure he wrote some piece of poo poo with a title along those lines.

His first memoir was FORGIVEN so very close.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Not even a stroke around the font

smh

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

lol

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What is Eric even talking about in the book? Literally the only thing people cared about he did a book on and barely remembered what went on then.

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

ARMBAR A COP posted:

Not even a stroke around the font

smh

Using the stroke would be gimmick infringement

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Dawgstar posted:

What is Eric even talking about in the book? Literally the only thing people cared about he did a book on and barely remembered what went on then.

The stuff after wcw

quote:

The follow-up to former WCW President Eric Bischoff’s first autobiography, Grateful picks up where Controversy Creates Cash left off!

Produced in partnership with NITRO author Guy Evans, Grateful covers Bischoff’s post 2006-career, including his WWE return, AEW involvement, TNA experience and much more.

Explore the unlikely journey that culminated in Bischoff’s surprise induction into the WWE Hall of Fame!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

To be fair a book where Bischoff just bitches about TNA for 300 pages would probably be a fun read, even if most of it would be made up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

His first memoir was FORGIVEN so very close.

Aye, that's the one I was thinking of.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

cagliostr0 posted:

Using the stroke would be gimmick infringement

lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

To be fair a book where Bischoff just bitches about TNA for 300 pages would probably be a fun read, even if most of it would be made up.

An actual honest Bischoff memoir or just a deep dive into those two TNA years with a decent author would be great. But a credulous idiot like Guy Evans is just going to let Bischoff put in whatever nonsense he wants while probably not being Hogan levels of delusional.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope we get an oral history of the Bischoff selling for the bird segment one day with all participants.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1667489861186510851

been a while and this isnt his usual hate so it feels ok for being the most long bowed attack on AEW possible

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/snowboiiii/status/1681117453852581888

Cornette and his South Park art guy finding new ways to be racist.

Does anyone remember if this art guy is the QAnon furry or if that was the art guy who briefly replaced this guy.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i just know the artist is a good guy and we shouldn't judge him for doing this for 8 years

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hopefully charging standard guild rates

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Morbidly curious if they got the guy to admit all brown people are the same but not enough to actually look.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/IANdrewTheGiant/status/1683885864345120772

Why does Tony look like Booger from Revenge of the Nerds.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/IANdrewTheGiant/status/1683885864345120772

Why does Tony look like Booger from Revenge of the Nerds.

“WE’VE GOT RUSH!”

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

“WE’VE GOT RUSH!”

“What the gently caress is a RUSH?”

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/TheJimCornette/status/1667489861186510851

been a while and this isnt his usual hate so it feels ok for being the most long bowed attack on AEW possible
I know this is very old and I missed it the first time the Cornhole got briefly resurrected, but this is a great metaphor!

Will Clark and Ozzie Smith did in fact have separate locker rooms, separate touring schedules, didn't share cars or buses or planes, maybe had to share a stadium eight or ten times a year maximum, because they legitimately competed against one another in a legitimate competition where they were on opposing teams. Unless he is trying to protect reverse kayfabe for baseball.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Plus, like, aren't major American sports leagues basically split into several internal leagues and conferences within the overarching league structure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

American sports are rigged through and through