Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Sure, but let’s be real, if you’re tanking, you’re wearing banded and poo poo. You won’t have mana to keep that up. Especially if you’re dealing with the normal snare resist rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
ya, which loops back around to rangers being one of the two worst classes to pick at launch.. that low mana pool through all of classic means you cannot consistently pull, and as a tank you have to med a lot which slows your pulls, and your healers will hate the lack of AC / shield.. Rangers just have absolutely nothing going for them, and not being able to wear plate.. it's unfortunate, i love the idea of the class but it's just badly balanced for a very long time.

Paladins get a bad rap, but unless they are dumbasses with Blind, they really are a solid tank choice, especially considering classic and kunark leveling dungeons are heavily undead. Give that paladin Ghoulbane and she'll beat the piss out of lguk.

Really just don't do Rogue or Ranger as your starter. Rogue needs a good weapon set to really shine, and you struggle with that at launch. Easily a great twink choice. Ranger on the other than just always struggles 30+ at banded, even fully equipped you are not going to want to be tanking after unrest / mistmoore levels. It's doable, but it's slower than it could be frankly if you aren't friends with the healer / the group, they will all be wishing you left so they could recruit that SK who just lfg'd.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 9, 2023

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
My original EQ experience was as a ranger. I'm on a tlp now and have been playing since classic. Seemed it's pretty rough till Luclin, but than you're amazing in PoP and still pretty good in GoD.

Vanilla is alot of group tanking content if they can't find a better one. I feel like sometimes it might be hard to get groups but probably depends on the server. Lots of speed bumping or eating death touches in raids or as a group off tank keeping healers alive. I recall sitting in ooc back in the day lfg tho.

Root pulling is viable but not as good as a class that can lull or fd.

You can def have fun and be a great utility group player though. I enjoy the kit but there are better classes for the Vanilla - Velious experience. I would maybe spin one up and get him positioned to raid in Luclin though so he's sitting pretty and ready to be on dps charts in PoP.

If you want a hybrid meele, SKs are amazing.

Bards are always welcome and you'll do alot of pulling. I had great success finding groups just popping on the /lfg. Pretty easy to whisper someone if they have a box bard and slide in too. Espc if you plan on joining a raiding guild, it's a nice way to fill out a more experienced box crew.

If you just wanna mess around and don't really plan on doing the raid scene or sticking through the later expansions I would just do whatever you'd have the most fun with.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Waroduce posted:

My original EQ experience was as a ranger. I'm on a tlp now and have been playing since classic. Seemed it's pretty rough till Luclin, but than you're amazing in PoP and still pretty good in GoD.

Vanilla is alot of group tanking content if they can't find a better one. I feel like sometimes it might be hard to get groups but probably depends on the server. Lots of speed bumping or eating death touches in raids or as a group off tank keeping healers alive. I recall sitting in ooc back in the day lfg tho.

Root pulling is viable but not as good as a class that can lull or fd.

You can def have fun and be a great utility group player though. I enjoy the kit but there are better classes for the Vanilla - Velious experience. I would maybe spin one up and get him positioned to raid in Luclin though so he's sitting pretty and ready to be on dps charts in PoP.

If you want a hybrid meele, SKs are amazing.

Bards are always welcome and you'll do alot of pulling. I had great success finding groups just popping on the /lfg. Pretty easy to whisper someone if they have a box bard and slide in too. Espc if you plan on joining a raiding guild, it's a nice way to fill out a more experienced box crew.

If you just wanna mess around and don't really plan on doing the raid scene or sticking through the later expansions I would just do whatever you'd have the most fun with.

Just FYI Rangers have a lull called Harmony that's supposed to be outdoors only but on TLPs works in a lot of places.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
The testing of the 'Encounter Locking' has thrown up all sorts of weird and broken stuff - The ones I've personally seen is the guards in the newbie areas will no longer assist, and also some weirdness with charm pets (this was happening but not consistently - hence the weirdness).

I've read the locks can be broken by 3rd parties by using low health agro, and there can be scenarios where you get trained by a host of locked mobs and are unable to defend yourself against the mobs hitting you.

I think theres a reasonable chance this is all going to get dropped and not used in the new server launching in less than 2 weeks. The latest announcement about the server made yesterday makes no mention at all of the locking - https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-oakwynd-launching-soon

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Mischief was amazingly popular, wasn't it? Seems weird that they haven't done a tlp with that ruleset again.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Mischief was amazingly popular, wasn't it? Seems weird that they haven't done a tlp with that ruleset again.

It still seems amazingly popular as far as I see. I just got my bard into a raiding guild and my first raid is tonight, I am really enjoying the loot rules and twinking new characters with raid level loot is really addicting. Them going with a mostly vanilla ruleset with a half-baked anti-KSing system seems like a big step backwards, it's really mind boggling. They didn't even mention FTE in the news update released yesterday.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
FTE system is likely being pulled. It’s extremely badly buggy atm.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/Z7qjJosEImg

Dude tested it and posted results.

Who had clerics for top KS class in 2023?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Training people and leaving them unable to defend themselves is pretty funny.

Node fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 12, 2023

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I hope it comes to Oakwynd all janky and weird. Sounds entertaining.

I'm gonna play there either way.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Node posted:

Training people and leaving them unable to defend themselves is pretty funny.

EQ's unique brand of PvP really is special.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I think I gave daybreak way too much credit in having a grasp on the complexity of the aggro mechanics they were altering with their FTE system. Why even propose it if you don’t have a really good grasp of it? Must have been a directive from management to cut down on CS tickets from new servers, and left to the devs to figure poo poo out live.

I’m still in an EQ refractory period so I’ll just be enjoying the show from the sidelines. I think if I burn some krono to resub in the next year it’s going to be to level on vaniki to get that rat illusion.

Solarin fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 12, 2023

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Solarin posted:

I think I gave daybreak way too much credit in having a grasp on the complexity of the aggro mechanics they were altering with their FTE system.

lol

lmao

:soe:

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Solarin posted:

I think I gave daybreak way too much credit in having a grasp on the complexity of the aggro mechanics they were altering with their FTE system. Why even propose it if you don’t have a really good grasp of it? Must have been a directive from management to cut down on CS tickets from new servers, and left to the devs to figure poo poo out live.

I’m still in an EQ refractory period so I’ll just be enjoying the show from the sidelines. I think if I burn some krono to resub in the next year it’s going to be to level on vaniki to get that rat illusion.

People were really wanting this in Test months ago. Your talking a rewrite of the agro system which is a jumble of code no one understands.

It could have been really good, but instead we got comedy gold!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

koreban posted:

https://youtu.be/Z7qjJosEImg

Dude tested it and posted results.

Who had clerics for top KS class in 2023?

This is pretty hilarious

Do existing mechanics allow you to block incoming heals from players outside your group?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Devor posted:

This is pretty hilarious

Do existing mechanics allow you to block incoming heals from players outside your group?

Nope.

Additionally, mobs that buff each other encounter lock each other.

And charm pets are locked to the caster, meaning other mobs can’t hit them.

There’s zero chance this rolls out in 2 weeks.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

koreban posted:

Nope.

Additionally, mobs that buff each other encounter lock each other.

And charm pets are locked to the caster, meaning other mobs can’t hit them.

There’s zero chance this rolls out in 2 weeks.

I'd like them to dump FTE and the dumb 'exp bonus but only on the same account crap', and give us some usual treats - extra loot or free trade or something. It ain't complicated to make a server people will play on.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m speculating here, but I don’t think they want to gut Mischief’s population. Lots of people will quit and jump back to do the classic treadmill again.

I also think FTE is dumb and a bad idea. I’m not against the whole heirloom thing, but it’s carving a niche when free trade is already right there.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
Loot should just be completely random, anything can drop from any mob.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

ukrainius maximus posted:

Loot should just be completely random, anything can drop from any mob.

This. But everything is no drop.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I'm not sure daybreak will pay any attention, but all the guildleaders for the guilds forming on the new server have sent a joint open 'letter' saying this TLE ain't good enough.

But in the software industry its a rare project manager or developer that won't push on and release broken poo poo anyway.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Baconroll posted:

I'm not sure daybreak will pay any attention, but all the guildleaders for the guilds forming on the new server have sent a joint open 'letter' saying this TLE ain't good enough.

But in the software industry its a rare project manager or developer that won't push on and release broken poo poo anyway.

Fairly sure we just said the encounter locking is just awful, as now you get trained and can't fight the mobs back, guards can't kill noob mobs, clerics can break locking with big heals and it would all be better with loot / xp locking they used for quest mobs

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I want the opposite of target locking where every encounter is a big free-for-all where everyone gets rewards after zerging some mobs down

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Malaria posted:

This. But everything is no drop.

And trivial loot code is applied to everything :getin:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I wonder if they'd ever do a TLP with Vanilla and Kunark unlocked at the same time. If they have, how did it go?

I think the itemization might be a little wonky, but I feel like you're going to need semi-geared toons to drop Trak and get into some of the better loot tables which would give players a reason to do PoSky/Hate/Fear.

It also opens up alot more viable leveling spaces for that like late 40's-50s grind instead of sitting in The Hole or SolB or whatever.

What does the ideal TLP look like after this long?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

And trivial loot code is applied to everything :getin:

That code started wars in era. People took all their bad luck (which was just lovely RNG) and claimed XYZ never spawns.

To be fair, the Devs forgot that 3% spawn rate on a mob who only spawns every 30 min could be stupid long, in fact it turns out that a 3% spawn is only a 60% chance to happen 1 time in a month.

This is why so many monks quit after getting their epic back in the day, they just sat on 1 mob for god knows how long.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

PyRosflam posted:

That code started wars in era. People took all their bad luck (which was just lovely RNG) and claimed XYZ never spawns.

To be fair, the Devs forgot that 3% spawn rate on a mob who only spawns every 30 min could be stupid long, in fact it turns out that a 3% spawn is only a 60% chance to happen 1 time in a month.

This is why so many monks quit after getting their epic back in the day, they just sat on 1 mob for god knows how long.

I sometimes wonder why I lost most of my hair in my 20s and I suspect part of it was the intense stress of camping a named spawn on a PvP server. I remember I took a week off work just to camp Grimfeather, I think he had an 18 hour spawn? And I sat there the bulk of those hours, back in the days before everyone had 2-3 monitors and smart phones to pass the time. :D

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Aradune, I camped the named treat in south karana. It was not a... productive use of my time.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The zone wide rare drops in a sense are crueler than the rare camps. My mage really wanted the root clicky from gyrospire beza. Saw it drop on launch night in my leveling group and a rogue won it. I cleared that instance almost every day in era for three months and many days twice and sometimes more than that and I haven’t seen it again. I even leveled up another set of alts and tweaked my group comp to shave thirty minutes off my run time. The DA clickies in DoDH eventually showed themselves but I still need that root click from
SoF. Haven’t had the heart to go back and farm it post a little power creep but maybe in underfoot.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

PyRosflam posted:

This is why many monks chose to kill their fellow Brothers instead of camping Raster.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Raster broke me in like 2001. Sat there for 95 hours, went LD and came back to someone killing him.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Apparently they fixed a huge chunk of the bugs with Encounter Locking on test today.

They might actually get it working properly by Oakwynds launch.

People are still mad tho. Lol

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
I've had another play on test and everything I saw earlier regarding TLE is now working properly. I'm sure there will be bugs but they did fix stuff from my perspective.

No matter what they do the same people will complain relentlessly.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Fuckin madlads actually did it.

I would've never in my life bet a dollar they'd have fixed the massive problems before the server launched, but I ran around on Test for a while and I can't really find any huge bugs left. Good job for once, DBG

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

MrTheDevious posted:

Fuckin madlads actually did it.

I would've never in my life bet a dollar they'd have fixed the massive problems before the server launched, but I ran around on Test for a while and I can't really find any huge bugs left. Good job for once, DBG

The *real* broken poo poo will be the tricks that people abuse under the "fixed" system, I want to hear all the stories

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
The obvious one that is advertised as working as intended is using your cleric to drop a heal and sitting to grab agro and break encounter lock and then it’s just business as usual.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I think I've gotten bored of Mischief after a month and I'm kind of interested in seeing how much of a shitshow Oakwynd is going to be. I feel out of my element playing on any EQ server post-PoP, even though the no-drop and loot rules of Mischief are really enjoyable for me. I wish I had stuck with it when it first released instead of trying it out now.

Will probably end up 6-boxing on Oakwynd next week, probably my usual group makeup of SK/SHM/BRD/DRU/MAG/MAG. I've always run a classic "holy trinity" group makeup when boxing but am curious about other group makeups. Maybe main an enchanter with a cleric/bard/other caster boxes and no tank? Not sure how that would go, does anyone else run a non-tank/non-standard based box group?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Enchanter/Cleric/Tank(Sk for snare? Or Ranger) and a bunch of mages seems pretty easy and stupid strong. Or if you really don't want a tank, put a druid in for snares and ports. They can charm animals/bugs.

I also really don't think Oakwynd will be a poo poo show. It's looking the FTE stuff is basically gonna be working. Shouldn't be that bad. The sever has some cool rules too, with character based instead of account based AoC lockouts.

I'm gonna 4 box a team of Paladin(main) and Bard/Druid/Mage. Will probably roll a SK later on the account with the Paladin for sharing heriloom raid stuff.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Wow the UI changes are terrible. The flashing of the whole UI when opening/closing bags is really bad, the font in parts of the UI is super blurry and kind of hurts my eyes to read. The inventory window is now forced on top of everything else. When I click to buy a stack of something from a vendor, hitting enter no longer purchases it at the default quantity which is small sounding but super annoying. Folks with AMD based cards are having more issues than others, especially on-board graphics. Entirely white windows, DLL errors causing the game to not even load. The UI conversion tool they included apparently won't install and says it needs a specific version of .net even if it's already installed. People are saying that alt-tabing now between two full-screen windows takes 2-3 seconds longer than before the patch. Increased CPU usage, sorting times of things in the UI like alt currency and guild member lists is really slow. When moving things around my inventory I randomly get the last moved item's icon stuck on my mouse cursor after clicking it into another slot.

It's like they didn't do anything to fix these issues from the two months it's been on the test server at all. I am not hopeful for Oakwynd, it really feels like there's only one or two devs who don't even play the game.