Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Getting some pretty strong Gothic vibes from this, might be one to watch:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1383370/Trail_of_Ayash/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jimbot posted:

This is a fun little RTS. It reminds me a lot of Battle Realms except there isn't really any macro. Hearkens back to just build a fat doom stack o dudes then roll your way to victory, which is fine by me.

Thank you for reminding me to check in on the Battle Realms remaster which is somehow a thing, of all things to get one.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Far Cry 6 is pretty drat big.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Far Cry 6 is pretty drat big.

It’s also and I say this as someone who really likes the modern ones, pretty drat bad.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
What makes it bad? Is it more of the same?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I hated the glider in far cry 6, if you so much as grazed the ground while you were flying you just loving die instantly. I found the game overall pretty boring and put it down after maybe 10 hours or so.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Eason the Fifth posted:

The biggest sin for me was that the bow and arrow felt bad to use. Far Crys 3-5 are about hiding in a bush and killing everyone in an outpost with the bow and arrow, that didn't really seem viable in 6. I went through the whole game using the same silenced single-shot rifle because it would kill everyone with a one headshot regardless of armor and it felt pointless to use anything else.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

It’s more of the same which isn’t necessarily bad in and of itself but they seem to have really scraped the bottom of the barrel to add even a couple new ideas in 6. The general gunplay holds up but the AI was weirdly stupid even for a game like Far Cry and I never had an outpost spiral into a giant shitshow like 3/4 occasionally would. The backpack ultimate abilities are all basically pointless in the face of the very first one you get, which is the case for a lot of the guns too.

Esposito kills it, of course, though equally of course it’s another Far Cry title about revolutionary ideals and social upheaval that is handled with all the subtlety of a mortar barrage. Where as Vaas was fun and Pagan Min was fun to roll your eyes at, Esposito kills it as Castillo but the things surrounding Castillo are often vacuous at best and insulting at worst.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The biggest sin for me was that the bow and arrow felt bad to use. Far Crys 3-5 are about hiding in a bush and killing everyone in an outpost with the bow and arrow, that didn't really seem viable in 6. I went through the whole game using the same silenced single-shot rifle because it would kill everyone with a one headshot regardless of armor and it felt pointless to use anything else.

Oh yeah, same here, I forgot about that. There were a decent amount of guns and ammo types but nothing beat the silenced rifle with armor piercing rounds because everything dies with a headshot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rock Paper Scissors with guns sucked rear end in the newest Wolfenstein game and it sucked rear end in Far Cry 6

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Mordja posted:

Godsworn has a demo out Steam's Tacticon fest. I've only played part of a skirmish so far, but it's definitely midway between Age of Mythology and Warcraft 3 with some convenient, automated resourcing mechanics.

Man, this is fun. I've really missed a nice mellow RTS, nothing has really scratched this itch since WC3.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

That's the majority of the problem with most of these open world shooters. It gets to the point where you have to to move mountains to get a silenced sniper rifle because they are so grossly overpowered in every game. Which is a shame because a lot of them do put effort into making other guns work well and have a good variety of them, but when it's "use the flamethrower to try and burn out the place before they kill me" and "instantly kill everyone I can see with no danger", well...

Orv
May 4, 2011
Good news! The basic assault rifle with silencer you get immediately requires no replacement ever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sloppy posted:

Man, this is fun. I've really missed a nice mellow RTS, nothing has really scratched this itch since WC3.

Yeah it's cool. And one of the only nu-RTS that doesn't seem to want to be an e-sport, the devs have said the focus will be on the campaign (which is supposed to be co-op) and skirmish.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FutureCop posted:

But why work harder when you could work smarter?

Because I like hurting other people.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i've downloaded more demos (a couple I might have listed before but havent played yet): The Bunny Graveyard, Castle of Secrets, The Chronicler, The Creation of a Self, Diluvian Winds, Escape First Alchemist, Farworld Pioneers, Golftopia, Grimfield Mystery, Hancho, The Hand of Glory, Head As Code, Hellslinger, The Inn Between, Justice.exe, The Lotus Holidays, Mainframe Defenders, Mala Petaka, The Many Pieces of Mr. Coo, Marco & the Galaxy Dragon, Miniland Adventure, Monomyth, The Mystery Cleaner, One Dreamer, OPUS: Rocket of Whispers, Outpath, Outshine, Pan'orama, Papetura, The Plague Doctor of Wippra, Project Sphinx, Reaver, Relentless Frontier, The Safe Place, The Santo Island Incident, Second Star, The Sentient Box, Side Effect, Space Wreck, SpaceNET, Splittown, Star Stuff, Strawhart, Super Brawl Rush, Super SpaceMail, Techtonica, Terra Alia, Theropods, They Came from Dimension X, Through the Fragmentation, Trepang2, Turbo Overkill, Tyrion Cuthbert: Attorney of the Arcane, Ultreia, Urbek City Builder, Utopia Syndrome, Voidborn, Voidtrain, Whateverland, What's Missing, Who's Lila, Wizordum, Wormatozoa

but I'll be playing none of them tonight because it's almost Zelda time

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Sloppy posted:

I'd like to suggest Bad North, which looks deceptively simple or 'lite', but is actually a clever little tactical game. RTS without the resource gathering, if you will.

edit: Oh, persistent units, a la Myth or Homeworld

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I have been trying to finish Afterimage for most of this entire week so I can write up my thoughts on it, thinking I'm about to see all the content, and it literally will not end. I'm over 40 hours in and there's still something I haven't seen. undoubtedly the biggest metroidvania I've ever played, and unfortunately that's not a good thing because the result is that a lot of it feels very diluted and tepid with some inconsistent quality. it's not bad, but it's a shame that it's too big for its own good because it started out great.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

MURI ($5) is a tribute to Apogee/Epic games from the early 90s by Daniel Remar (Ittle Dew, Ijji, Card City Nights) and it is extremely authentic in its art, its level design, its chunky scrolling (which you can change to smooth scrolling if you prefer a little modernity) and gameplay. Though, granted, the level design is shorter and better than actual Apogee games from that era since PC devs have learned a few things about level design since those days, and Daniel is a real indie pro. If you ever bought that 3D Realms Anthology Pack and ran out of games to play, you can throw this one in the queue.
MURI is specifically a shameless, open-faced tribute to the original 2D Duke Nukem (or Duke Nukum, depending on version), except with actual level design chops. I highly recommend it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

FutureCop posted:

Since we're all talking about hacking games like DROP, and I very much like to flatter 7th Guest by following his example of recommending cool stuff, one that showed up for me recently was Deadeye Deepfake Simulacrum which I've been very interested in:

From there, start tapping in code into your laptop like Quadtilateral Cowboy

similar to something like Uplink.

I had these games on my wishlist already, just skipping over them for stuff like Prey and Watch Dogs that you mentioned. Thanks for the post: it was a fun read!

jason3232
Apr 11, 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

Potato Flowers in Full Bloom ($18) - A sort of simplified take on the Wizardry/Etrian formula, heavily focused on the dungeon crawling and with relatively simple turn based battles where you can see what opponents are planning to do and react accordingly. I actually liked this demo quite a bit, even though the visuals are very basic, the dev knows how to craft fun little labyrinths to explore. You also can't see your map unless you light up the torches around the dungeon so that's an extra little ocd "gotta light 'em all" bit of gameplay for my brain to enjoy. Characters are created at home base and have the kind of skill point allocation that you would expect from an Etrian game, complete with the dread of "I hope I'm building this character right!!" I'm not sure if there's a respec option. But I'm interested in getting this in a sale.

Big recommendation to this game. It's a chill dungeon crawler with a bigger focus on exploration, puzzle-solving, and resource management instead of combat. There isn't really a need to minmax your builds, as battles are pretty simple and enemies are more like obstacles that block your path rather than actual threats. Also, you don't really need to grind in this game, and there is almost always a better path if you decide to look around. If you find yourself stuck at an enemy, it usually means you should try something else instead of trying to brute-force it with raw numbers (which aren't really effective anyway). There are some challenging combat encounters in the very late game, but they are still relatively easy once you craft the gears you need for the fight.

As for character builds, there is a way to respec your character that becomes available quite early on, but the cost to respec each character increases exponentially, so it's only really worth doing it once or twice. But you don't really need to do that anyway, as leveling a new character is pretty quick, and in the late game, you can just bring your new character along with two high-level characters and have them leech experience off the higher-level encounters, and they will catch up in no time.

The labyrinths are a joy to go through and cleverly designed with shortcuts and secrets that reward your exploration. There aren't any traps that I felt were unfair, and the puzzles aren't too difficult. I feel most players should be able to figure them out without external help.

The game might be a little short for $18, though I personally think it's well worth the price and the length makes sure that the game doesn't overstay its welcome.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mozi posted:

As a Dorfromantik enthusiast, PanOrama is different enough to be enjoyable. You don't have to worry about matching edges which removes a lot of what made Dorf challenging but it has a bunch of other stuff going on. Seems like another nice relaxing little game.

Just hopped on this as well, good solid fun. Like you said it's a fair bit easier than Dorfromantik, but there's enough interesting stuff with the buildable structures there to keep things interesting.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just finished playing Midnight Fight Express and had a pretty good time!

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256902267/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1661282049

Overall it delivers a very decent isometric beat-em-up experience, like a fusion of Arkham freeflow combat and Streets of Rage gang violence and Hotline Miami's violent and confusing storyline. Very fun to style on enemies, clobbering them with all sorts of takedowns, parries, combos and finishers, and the improvisational use of the environment was a blast, picking up anything that isn't nailed down and throwing it at enemies.

The huge variety in the levels is both very good as it constantly keeps things fresh and prevents it from feeling stale with all sorts of setpieces and fantastic arenas and new enemy types, but also very annoying at times when the levels just go too far: the sudden zombie level, the jet ski/motorcycle chase levels, the snipers overwatching you while you fight, and the overabundance of gun combat later on were particular pain points. Some other aspects like the scorpion queen boss fight were just plain bad and terribly designed and I have no idea how they didn't fix it by now: it was seriously so bad it almost made me quit the game completely. Luckily, more often than not the levels are great.

Controls were mostly solid, but sometimes it'd get frustrating: many a time I'd get stuck doing an action I hadn't requested because of some weird environmental context (or vice versa I want to do some environment context takedown but it doesn't happen for an unspecified reason), many a time the autotargetting for shooting/throwing would target the wrong guy and get me killed unfairly (like I'm trying to kill a gunner far away in front of me and my guy keeps snapping 180 degrees to target the melee unit close behind me), many a time the guns just wouldn't function when I want to shoot or throw them, and there were some boneheaded decisions like having the button to shoot your special gun be the same as your finisher, making it so many a time when I'm trying to finish a guy I'd shoot the gun instead and waste a bullet.

Story was kind of a wet fart for me: it sets up a lot of intrigue with this whole amnesia and unreliable narrators/flashbacks and it does enough to get you pumped and enjoy the chaotic, violent journey. But in the end, there was a lack of any serious twists or development, a lack of cool boss fights to serve as a nice finish, and it all just tumbles at the end into a very unsatisfying and undeveloped blah, with some sort of awkward sequel hook or something.

I do very much recommend playing it: yes some of the levels are stinkers, yes the controls can be a bit whack at times and yes the story was a bit unsatisfying, but overall it provided an excellent amount of high-energy beat-em-up action that I already want to go back and replay the levels on a harder difficulty and try to beat the special challenges.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
:siren:

Grab a Hotshot Racing Steam key for free from Fanatical
https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/hotshot-racing

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Shadows of Doubt seems like a cool game, but both times I tried the tutorial it generated the vent escape route in the tutorial murder apartment on ceilings that were too high for me to reach, so there was no way to escape when the police showed up :( Refunded it for now but I'll check back when it's out of EA

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

deep dish peat moss posted:

Shadows of Doubt seems like a cool game, but both times I tried the tutorial it generated the vent escape route in the tutorial murder apartment on ceilings that were too high for me to reach, so there was no way to escape when the police showed up :( Refunded it for now but I'll check back when it's out of EA
Are you sure? You can climb into vents that look insanely too high because you just have to get close enough to "use" them, not actually maneuver your body into them. I made the same assumption in the tutorial before realizing myself. As far as I know all the random apartments are the same height.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

usually you can stack plastic stools & cardboard boxes under them if it's a 10-foot ceiling

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took a screenshot of the second one:

It was above the shower, I could go into the shower but couldn't reach it from a jump and could not climb ontop of the shower to reach it (so I wasn't able to like, jump off the sink to catch it). The cops were in the apartment so I couldn't leave the bathroom to pick stuff up to stack it and stand on it. I guess there was a plastic stool in the kitchen I could have used if I knew I was expected to move stools to the bathroom before starting an investigation!!

The game seems really cool but having something like that happen twice in a row was enough for me to let it bake a bit longer!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 14, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The first thing that happens when you enter the apartment is that the tutorial pops up telling you to always prepare an escape route in advance.

You can stack some boxes to reach the vent or just hide in a closet.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm in the same boat. It just hasn't finished cooking, needs a bit more time in the oven.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hows Synthetik 2 so far?

I really enjoyed playing the first game, second one is still in EA. Cant find a more recent road map than what was posted in 2021. Reviews seem kinda polarized. What do yall think?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buglord posted:

Hows Synthetik 2 so far?

I really enjoyed playing the first game, second one is still in EA. Cant find a more recent road map than what was posted in 2021. Reviews seem kinda polarized. What do yall think?

It's great but not finished yet.
They keep dropping huge patches at regular intervals though.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

The first thing that happens when you enter the apartment is that the tutorial pops up telling you to always prepare an escape route in advance.

You can stack some boxes to reach the vent or just hide in a closet.

To be pedantic, the tutorial specifically tells you to "look for an escape route", not to prepare an escape route. Then it puts a waypoint objective marker on the vent, which goes away once you open the door of the bathroom and center your camera on the vent.

If hiding in closets for 5+ minutes at a time is a major part of the gameplay I guess it's just not for me :sweatdrop: I waited in the bathroom for a long time and they never left the apartment. But more realistically I think it's just weird tutorial fuckery where it was expecting me to play by its specific set of rules and the police don't get triggered to leave during the tutorial, which is the exact kind of problem that made me refund it for now :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 14, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I tried Shadow Of Doubt and really what it showed me is that if you have better than even odds of knowing who is the killer you're best off just beating them unconscious and then taking their fingerprints as evidence to put them at the crime scene.

The game feels like it waffles hard between blindingly obvious, where everyone leaves "I know I shouldn't do this but my personal code is 1234" and the victim writing "wow I sure am scared that XXX might try to kill me" to "idk the victim was kind of a flirt I guess, anyways they bled him like a deer good luck". Since there's no real penalty for just beating the poo poo out of people as far as I can tell it gives the game a weird pacing where you are upholding law and justice by sneaking through the air vents til you get caught then incapacitating the person (who then will not remember you) and leisurely wandering around their apartment while they bleed on the floor.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

I tried Shadow Of Doubt and really what it showed me is that if you have better than even odds of knowing who is the killer you're best off just beating them unconscious and then taking their fingerprints as evidence to put them at the crime scene.

The game feels like it waffles hard between blindingly obvious, where everyone leaves "I know I shouldn't do this but my personal code is 1234" and the victim writing "wow I sure am scared that XXX might try to kill me" to "idk the victim was kind of a flirt I guess, anyways they bled him like a deer good luck". Since there's no real penalty for just beating the poo poo out of people as far as I can tell it gives the game a weird pacing where you are upholding law and justice by sneaking through the air vents til you get caught then incapacitating the person (who then will not remember you) and leisurely wandering around their apartment while they bleed on the floor.

You mean it's secretly a Batman simulator?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ponzicar posted:

You mean it's secretly a Batman simulator?

More like, Rorschach simulation.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

make sure you handcuff any strangers you've beaten into submission, so you have more time to loot their apartments

I'm the best detective

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I found the local Landlord, cuffed him then looted his apartment.
Sadly I haven't been able to Physics him out of a window yet.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

CuddleCryptid posted:

Hey, the Cola Government doesn't care how the job gets done as long as they don't see you doing anything illegal. Verbal testimony is completely disregarded when it comes to making an arrest, only physical evidence is respected and they only need a name anyways. The reason you can stare right into a security camera and nobody will know it's you once you leave the building for 5 seconds is that every PI is dressed like the Invisible Man and has no fingerprints or something and you can't expect the extremely busy legal system to care about finding which one did it.

But seriously, the legality factor is very odd currently, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are there any non-survival game farming RTSes out there? Nothing at all like Rimworld or its ilk. More like something like Farming Simulator but you control everything from a top down perspective.

I'll settle for city builders in the same vein as Anno but with a heavier focus on agriculture.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 14, 2023