Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
getting reports from reliable sources that the Russians have like 10 Chem-Warriors and 30 Flame Tanks in their build queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

capitalist war is bad

Nazis are bad

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Starsfan posted:

I can't find any evidence for this. The European Union-Ukraine Association Agreement had been initiated by the previous government which was elected by the more EU friendly portions of the country and Yanukovych inherited that process. From what I have read the Yanukovych government negotiated with the EU for three years over the conditions and terms under which Ukraine would sign the agreement and then eventually determined that the Russian trade deal and loan bailout package was better for the interests of Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-25162563

I've looked through several articles and I can't find any reference to Yanukovych reneging on a promise to sign the association agreement, or that he ran on completing this process when he stood for election in 2010. He was widely perceived to be the more russia-friendly of the candidates in the 2010 election so I'm quite certain the Ukrainians who really cared about spurning Russia and pursuing closer relations with the EU voted for his opposition.

Just googled it and this is the first thing I found. https://www.kyivpost.com/post/7805 Think it supports me but I could be reading it wrong.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

:decorum:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Can you give some examples of what you would count as "provoked" if this one is "unprovoked"

to hazard a guess, when it's an invasion he likes its provoked and when it's one he doesn't like it's unprovoked

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Cpt_Obvious posted:

God don't give a gently caress about "should". The Ukrainian people are dying for a war they can't win.

They seem to be doing just that though.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

bookmarking this post lol

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Cerebral Bore posted:

to hazard a guess, when it's an invasion he likes its provoked and when it's one he doesn't like it's unprovoked

I have made no indications of this. Your pushing an opinion on me that I do not have because you suck at debating.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm sorry but we have to agree to disagree.

a big problem here is that you exist in a completely different informational reality from the thread

to use myself as an example, in 2011 when nato started bombing libya is supported it
i got my information about the conflict from reputable swedish media, and the picture i got was that the monster dictator gadaffi was murdering peacefull protestors wanting freedom and democracy and the "no fly zone" was implemented to stop him from massacring benghazi
this was pretty much all false
the protestors were a mix of some liberals and many islamists who were doing an armed uprising, there was no evidence that gadaffis troops had conducted large scale massacres when they took back towns, and as can be seen in the report from the british parliament the intention from the start was little more than an imperialist hitjob (france because gadaffi was talking about replacing the neo-colonial monetary scheme france implemented in west africa in return for letting them get indepencence, usa because of petrodollar stuff)

(and, somewhat relevant to ukraine, the political divide between tripolitania and cyrenica was never mentioned)
and if i had kept only consuming reputable western media i would never have learned about it and i would probably have agreed with everything you posted in the thread

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

drilldo squirt posted:

dying? they certainly are doing that

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Megamissen posted:

a big problem here is that you exist in a completely different informational reality from the thread

to use myself as an example, in 2011 when nato started bombing libya is supported it
i got my information about the conflict from reputable swedish media, and the picture i got was that the monster dictator gadaffi was murdering peacefull protestors wanting freedom and democracy and the "no fly zone" was implemented to stop him from massacring benghazi
this was pretty much all false
the protestors were a mix of some liberals and many islamists who were doing an armed uprising, there was no evidence that gadaffis troops had conducted large scale massacres when they took back towns, and as can be seen in the report from the british parliament the intention from the start was little more than an imperialist hitjob (france because gadaffi was talking about replacing the neo-colonial monetary scheme france implemented in west africa in return for letting them get indepencence, usa because of petrodollar stuff)

(and, somewhat relevant to ukraine, the political divide between tripolitania and cyrenica was never mentioned)
and if i had kept only consuming reputable western media i would never have learned about it and i would probably have agreed with everything you posted in the thread

don't forget that sarkozy literally owed gadaffi a bunch of illicit money

the libyan war was astonishingly dirty

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

drilldo squirt posted:

in what ways have they won? They still have Russian forces within their borders, several cities completely destroyed and have sold off the country’s future for IMF loans. Even if they expel Russia completely I would still count that as an unambiguous loss.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

V. Illych L. posted:

dying? they certainly are doing that

No you moron, wining.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

drilldo squirt posted:

I have made no indications of this. Your pushing an opinion on me that I do not have because you suck at debating.

sorry ure wrong and also a complete dweeb for doing the debate me schtick

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

DEBATE ME BRO

YOU WILL LOSE

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

God don't give a gently caress about "should". The Ukrainian people are dying for a war they can't win.

not all of them!!

the rest will be heavily indebted due to the war tho, yay!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

CongoJack posted:

in what ways have they won? They still have Russian forces within their borders, several cities completely destroyed and have sold off the country’s future for IMF loans. Even if they expel Russia completely I would still count that as an unambiguous loss.

I wouldn't, because they would have what they want. which is all their territory back.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

which wars do you support op

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I wouldn't, because they would have what they want. which is all their territory back.

its very very important to care for the ukrainian state, drat the ukrainian people amirite

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

HallelujahLee posted:

which wars do you support op

All the wars.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

drilldo squirt posted:

Very easy to say when you aren’t the one who has to live with the consequences! Also they haven’t “won” yet

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
i loving love borders bro

maps define me

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Delta-Wye posted:

its very very important to care for the ukrainian state, drat the ukrainian people amirite

I'm saying the people seem to want their territory back since they are going through a lot of trouble to do that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the issue with the completely reasonable principle of not rewarding aggression is that there is no way of consistently enforcing it, because the only extant possible mechanism of enforcement is incredibly evil imperial powers which themselves enjoy the odd bout of aggression. thus, by taking the position selectively, one makes oneself an instrument of inter-imperial competition. this is very easy to see intellectually but also profoundly morally frustrating and so a lot of otherwise sensible people just choose to ignore it, preferring a kind of madness instead.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

All the wars.

its an easy question op this isnt some trap its ok

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

I do because unprovoked invasions should not be successful in today's world.

I agree the USA should pull out of Syria immediately.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

V. Illych L. posted:

the issue with the completely reasonable principle of not rewarding aggression is that there is no way of consistently enforcing it, because the only extant possible mechanism of enforcement is incredibly evil imperial powers which themselves enjoy the odd bout of aggression. thus, by taking the position selectively, one makes oneself an instrument of inter-imperial competition. this is very easy to see intellectually but also profoundly morally frustrating and so a lot of otherwise sensible people just choose to ignore it, preferring a kind of madness instead.

Even if I can't stop the united states or china from committing an aggressive act, I would still like to.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

drilldo squirt posted:

I do because unprovoked invasions should not be successful in today's world.

no matter how it shakes out, there is no moral here

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Egg Moron posted:

no matter how it shakes out, there is no moral here

What? Can you be clearer in what your saying?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm saying the people seem to want their territory back since they are going through a lot of trouble to do that.

asking the people of lviv what fate shall befall the people of crimea is tip top shape democracy, i tell you what

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

I, don't know. I mean they want it back, but I don't know what the plan is unfortunately.

Do the people in Crimea want to go back?

drilldo squirt posted:

Even if I can't stop the united states or china from committing an aggressive act, I would still like to.

Really because it sounds a lot like you're in favor of the NATO proxy war against Russia.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

drilldo squirt posted:

Just googled it and this is the first thing I found. https://www.kyivpost.com/post/7805 Think it supports me but I could be reading it wrong.

It relates to the negotiations between the parties in 2013. They indicated they would sign the deal, then they backed out and said they wouldn't sign the deal unless they got better terms. The negotiations had been going on for 5 years at that point (they weren't even started by the Yanukovych government). I don't think Yanukovych was elected on the basis of being the person who was going to bring Ukraine into the EU (although I have read some articles that speculated that if he had signed the agreement it would have helped his chances of being re-elected). He was voted in be people that wanted a better relationship with Russia than the previous government had enjoyed, much like Zelenskyy was in 2018.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

That's just an ancient Roman salute. I'm not sure what you're implying here.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Do the people in Crimea want to go back?

Really because it sounds a lot like you're in favor of the NATO proxy war against Russia.

I'm sorry democracies support other democracies.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Starsfan posted:

It relates to the negotiations between the parties in 2013. They indicated they would sign the deal, then they backed out and said they wouldn't sign the deal unless they got better terms. The negotiations had been going on for 5 years at that point (they weren't even started by the Yanukovych government). I don't think Yanukovych was elected on the basis of being the person who was going to bring Ukraine into the EU (although I have read some articles that speculated that if he had signed the agreement it would have helped his chances of being re-elected). He was voted in be people that wanted a better relationship with Russia than the previous government had enjoyed, much like Zelenskyy was in 2018.

I'm gonna read more into this.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm sorry democracies support other democracies.

They do indeed! If only you knew what that means.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah? Weird cuz it looks like they lost a quarter of their country and are begging Russian allies for weapons.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

drilldo squirt posted:

What? Can you be clearer in what your saying?

Read it to your dad and ask what it means.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Yeah? Weird cuz it looks like they lost a quarter of their country and are begging Russian allies for weapons.

They managed to get part of it back, and it was a big part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

They do indeed! If only you knew what that means.

Buddy I do, but I'm doubting you.