Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

I think it showed her off as significantly better than an established wrestler while giving her consistent tag reps to practice her timing and new moves

Was it great? No. And they didn't do anything with the relationship to establish any real character for Skye. More presence would make this title match feel contested IMO.

But I understand why they did it. Also 100% fine with both consistently eating pins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

She's really young and not everyone is amazing at that age to be champion. She improved more than Anna Jay imo. The only watchable Anna Jay has, are hardcore ones for me, other than that, Sky Blue looks better in-ring.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The Taxman posted:

I think it showed her off as significantly better than an established wrestler while giving her consistent tag reps to practice her timing and new moves

Was it great? No. And they didn't do anything with the relationship to establish any real character for Skye. More presence would make this title match feel contested IMO.

That's all I'm saying. It was a random pairing that didn't really develop either as characters at all. When Madison started dressing just like her I thought they might be on a Single White Female tip or something but nothing there either.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's all I'm saying. It was a random pairing that didn't really develop either as characters at all. When Madison started dressing just like her I thought they might be on a Single White Female tip or something but nothing there either.

No thats Cora Jade's story, but that ones a shoot

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Feel bad for anyone missing ROH Dutch and Vinny Kingdom.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I like Vert Vixen's Twitch colored gear.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Who's The Mack match time.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Mack won!!!

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

Wow, a good Fletcher match, what a surprise!

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

bartok posted:

I like Vert Vixen's Twitch colored gear.
Her gear is usually console-themed. She's got black/green Xbox, black/blue PS4, white/blue PS5, and purple/grey Gamecube ones that I've seen so far. You can usually tell by the buttons on her kneepads.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

gently caress, that same rear end in a top hat showed up to yell "higher!" whenever somebody climbs the turnbuckles!

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

good ep so far, i would very much like to see ftr vs the workhorsemen, and my boy lucky ali got some spots

bartok
May 10, 2006

Athena is the best

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

bartok posted:

Athena is the best

She’s really good. That main with skye was also really good.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I love that the crowd knew exactly what was going on with the Mack Match and were very into it.

Also, it was a great match.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
The thumbnail for this week's episode is incredible, Mark Briscoe doing his redneck kung-fu while Paul Turner goes through an existential crisis in the backround

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

ROHThoughts

1) Shane Taylor vs Mark Briscoe. This goes grudge match fast after Taylor mentions Jay. Taylor plays smart big guy well. Vicious in a very directed way. This match bounces back and forth, lots of near pins. Excellent opener.

2) Rhett Titus and Tracy Williams vs Claudio Castignoli and Wheeler Yuta. Tough and technical from the start. Claudio playing the bullying vet trying to teach Yoots during the match. Exceptional back and forth stuff, with BCC dominant but also willing to cheat.

3) Blake Christian vs Samoa Joe. Found it hard to get into this match. Christian is tremendous, but nothing about the story going into the match or the story told in the match suggested victory was possible.

4) The Righteous vs The Infantry. Dutch is an interesting weirdo. Shawn Dean looks solid in this match. Match could be a touch faster but in general it's very watchable. Obviously the Righteous win, but the Infantry are getting there, and the Stu story continues.

5) Vertvixen vs Robyn Renegade. Vertvixen was great on TJPW lately. Here she gets the already in the ring treatment. Vert comes off as strong and capable from the start. Renegades continue to improve. Could have used another five minutes, but this was very enjoyable.

6) Ninja Mack vs Willie Mack. Ninja has been solid as hell in Noah. Willie is lovely to watch wrestle. Crowd chanting "let's go Mack". Wild and fun match, with Willie always 5% crazier than you thought he would be. Ultimately Willie wins but this is a victory for Macks everywhere.

7) The Embassy versus Some Jobbers. The Embassy beat Some Jobbers.

8) Kyle Fletcher vs Tony Deppen. Excellent technical war. Deppen is a tremendous little scrapper. Kyle has a future as a singles guy if he wants it.

9) Anthony Henry vs AR Fox. These guys knock gently caress out of each other. These two are superbly matched and do some incredibly creative Stuff. It's an open secret how good Fox is but Henry is a stealth monster. Fox wins, post bell Workhorsemen and Taylor attack, and FTR make the save, cool poo poo. Hahaha, then Eddie Kingston gets a turn. Awesome.

10) Trustbusters and Josh Woods vs Dark Order. Fun 8 person nonsense. Some teased dissention with Grayson.

11) Skye Blue vs Athena. Excellent, vicious match. Skye is really stepping up here, loads of commitment, fighting spirit out the wazoo, but also a viciousness she has lacked before. This is a Main Event. This is the first time I have seen Athena in trouble. Skye wasn't going to win, but there were stretches in this match where a Skye victory would have been entirely credible. Excellent match. And a long-con attack from Athena post match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

this is a victory for Macks everywhere.

Congratulations Mack Morrison

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
While Athena was at least equally responsible for how well they performed together, their match really felt like a breakout moment for Skye Blue

Skye's improvement has been steady since her debut but yesterday represented a huge leap forward in her journey, can't wait to see where she'll be a year from now

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I’m pretty unfamiliar with Madison Rayne before she showed up. Was she notable as a performer before she was brought in as a coach? I know often it works out that people who make good coaches in sports are not necessarily the strongest performers in their sport.

I do feel like that AEW Women’s coach spot would’ve been ideal for Candice LeRae if Tony could’ve signed her

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dacap posted:

I’m pretty unfamiliar with Madison Rayne before she showed up. Was she notable as a performer before she was brought in as a coach? I know often it works out that people who make good coaches in sports are not necessarily the strongest performers in their sport.

I do feel like that AEW Women’s coach spot would’ve been ideal for Candice LeRae if Tony could’ve signed her

She was notable as a member of the Beautiful People in TNA and had years of experience as a TV performer. She wasn't a notable worker, the Beautiful People in general were pretty bad in ring and she was the best of the three but they were for a short time the hottest act in TNA.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

I think if Madison moved 10% quicker I'd like her a lot more

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

I feel like I watched a different Athena match than everyone else. Skye wasn't botching or anything but definitely seemed slow and cautious on some of the bigger moves, especially early on in the match. Maybe it was the camera just catching bad angles or something but there were some ranas where there was like zero contact made. I think Skye just needs more confidence? Idk.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it's cool that Anthony Henry is getting more screentime, dude did quite a few Dark matches last year that were really loving good

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Both Workhorsemen are loving good imo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lethrom posted:

I feel like I watched a different Athena match than everyone else. Skye wasn't botching or anything but definitely seemed slow and cautious on some of the bigger moves, especially early on in the match. Maybe it was the camera just catching bad angles or something but there were some ranas where there was like zero contact made. I think Skye just needs more confidence? Idk.

The only thing I saw zero contact made were some headscissors from both women and all three of them saw the opponent either cartwheel through or stop themselves from bumping off the stage on.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Guillermus posted:

Both Workhorsemen are loving good imo

Of the folks I'd like to see pushed on ROH they're right up there.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

What was the thing Athena called Posey that the desk reacted so strongly to?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone counter the urinage Joe does in the corner when an opponent charges in. That was cool as poo poo.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone counter the urinage Joe does in the corner when an opponent charges in. That was cool as poo poo.

ah man no you cant call it that

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lethrom posted:

Looked fine to me. They’ve really been walking a bone road with Skye. She does all the work during the tag matches. Takes all the moves, doesn’t die. She’s still young but the environment she’s in is a lot more conducive to bringing out greatness. I’m not really sure how you get her to Athena’s level without some more combat sports experience. So I’m excited to watch more Skye Blue matches, wow.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Of the folks I'd like to see pushed on ROH they're right up there.

Check this out when you get the chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG9slGVqsXA

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Alaois posted:

ah man no you cant call it that

But he just seems so pissed every time he does it

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I really enjoyed this. JD and Henry could go to japan for a puro tour and I'd watch it

For reference I loved Shibata+Coughlin vs Workhorsemen in ROH

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

ZSJ/Fox and Fenix/Loco should both be tremendous, glad too to see Mercedes back

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

"the boy" lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What happened to the other Boy? :ohdear:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rarity posted:

What happened to the other Boy? :ohdear:

The Embassy put him in the hospital.

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Just a casual ZSJ appearance on ROH, no big deal for BBT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Tonysapiens are really trying to eat NJPW Worlds lunch