Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

You know what, I’ve never really used Pages. How well does it work with Word? Does it support comments/annotations/etc - can I add or resolve comments on Pages and have that all export properly, or is it painful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You should try it and find out. Word is also available, as you note. You might be able to get a discount for that through your employer/university too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Doesn’t Microsoft allow full word access on certain sizes of iPad? Could have sworn that if you install it on like a Mini or something it’s the full thing without needing 365.

Edit: https://www.macworld.com/article/670515/how-to-get-free-microsoft-office-on-ipad-iphone.html

Not sure if this is still the case but on any iPad smaller than 10.1in you get the office apps for free.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 27, 2023

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Skeezy posted:

Doesn’t Microsoft allow full word access on certain sizes of iPad? Could have sworn that if you install it on like a Mini or something it’s the full thing without needing 365.

Edit: https://www.macworld.com/article/670515/how-to-get-free-microsoft-office-on-ipad-iphone.html

Not sure if this is still the case but on any iPad smaller than 10.1in you get the office apps for free.

That's false. You need a 365 sub to edit files in office regardless of the ipad size.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

That's false. You need a 365 sub to edit files in office regardless of the ipad size.

That sucks

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

I *think* you just need an account - not a paying subscription. I don't have 365 and can edit Word docs on the iPad, but I do need to sign in to do it.

Apparently not. Apologies.

HorseHeadBed fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 27, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Thanks all. Just gave it a go and I can’t edit without a 365 subscription on my iPad Pro. I’m going to see how I get on with Pages!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Grumbles posted:

Thanks all. Just gave it a go and I can’t edit without a 365 subscription on my iPad Pro. I’m going to see how I get on with Pages!

Keep in mind that 365 family subscriptions are routinely 50% off on amazon and you can spread the expense with five other people. I would suggest trying that first.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If your work provides it you could use that 365 subscription.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I don’t know how it works with all your high falutin’ jobs, but everywhere I’ve ever worked has just zealously clung onto whatever pile of non-subscription Microsoft Office licenses they last paid for

Anyway I’m just gonna give Pages a go

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

I don’t know how it works with all your high falutin’ jobs, but everywhere I’ve ever worked has just zealously clung onto whatever pile of non-subscription Microsoft Office licenses they last paid for

Anyway I’m just gonna give Pages a go

You should also check out iA Writer and Scrivener.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

It bears mentioning that SAMart has a couple of threads of people selling Microsoft keys on the cheap. LodgeNorth has never done me wrong.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Warbird posted:

It bears mentioning that SAMart has a couple of threads of people selling Microsoft keys on the cheap. LodgeNorth has never done me wrong.

I too can provide a deeply discounted 365 key provided you promise not to use it for commercial purposes. PM me if interested.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

MarcusSA posted:

If your work provides it you could use that 365 subscription.

This works, but I find it annoying for a truly personal device, since it links your work SharePoint/OneDrive etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Is there a suggested smart running app? I don't really have a specific goal, but would be willing to use something like "couch to 5k" or whatever to give me structure.

Hoping to find something that will tailor the training to my actual performance (tracking my heart rate zones, actual running performance, etc) to give me better guidance than generic "run 5 more minutes this week than last week!"

I've been using basic Apple Fitness tracking but having something that gives me structure to improve would be nice.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Violator posted:

Is there a suggested smart running app? I don't really have a specific goal, but would be willing to use something like "couch to 5k" or whatever to give me structure.

Hoping to find something that will tailor the training to my actual performance (tracking my heart rate zones, actual running performance, etc) to give me better guidance than generic "run 5 more minutes this week than last week!"

I've been using basic Apple Fitness tracking but having something that gives me structure to improve would be nice.

I’m not a big runner but my partner used Nike Run Club for what you’re describing.

I’ve used the training integration (paid) for Strava and it was pretty good. If I had training goals, I’d use it again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay so my music app just completely shat the bed on me; it opens up fine but doesn’t properly respond to taps and lags like hell while heating up the phone like crazy. I rebooted the phone but it didn’t do anything. I’m on the latest iOS. I’ve never seen this before so any suggestions?

E: reinstalling the app worked but man that came out of nowhere

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 10, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Apple Music?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

kri kri posted:

Apple Music?

Yeah the default music app. Never seen a glitch persist through full boot like that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Found this weather app that seems to work pretty well

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/weather-widget-weawow/id1209810737

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

kri kri posted:

Found this weather app that seems to work pretty well

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/weather-widget-weawow/id1209810737

Free (with donation for extra weather sources), uses better sources than built in wx app, looks good, doesn’t spy on you! That app is a unicorn.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
If anyone remembers the ToDo app Clear from probably about a decade ago, they just opened their TestFlight for version 2

https://testflight.apple.com/join/rjDFgcOP

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

atomicpile posted:

Free (with donation for extra weather sources), uses better sources than built in wx app, looks good, doesn’t spy on you! That app is a unicorn.

Yet. There is a troubling trend in the FOSS community where devs will launch a well made product, introduce paid tiers, and then yank the free access altogether once they have enough of a base with sunk time and so on. I wouldn’t be too surprised if the app makes changes down the line that are less customer focused; doubly so as weather APIs are pretty expensive if you want anything at scale.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's cool for now, though. I did a double take when it sourced a picture of a clear sky and two trees to show the conditions because it literally looked like it was taken in my driveway.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

101 posted:

If anyone remembers the ToDo app Clear from probably about a decade ago, they just opened their TestFlight for version 2

https://testflight.apple.com/join/rjDFgcOP

I've been using the beta for almost a year (randomly came across a Testflight link on Twitter) and am happy to see that they're finally releasing it. The first version of the app is one of the few apps that has always been on the first page of my iPhone for 10+ years now.

Reeder, Fantastical, and Instagram might be the only other third party apps that haven't moved from my home screen over all these years.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What’s a good habit tracking/building app these days? I just want something that will let me specify things I want to daily and tick them off, maybe offer a week or month view.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Montalvo posted:

What’s a good habit tracking/building app these days? I just want something that will let me specify things I want to daily and tick them off, maybe offer a week or month view.

I just downloaded Habit Tracker recently, and it satisfied my needs - decent widgets support, stats, recurring habits customization, and a cheap one-time premium license ($6).

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Corb3t posted:

I just downloaded Habit Tracker recently, and it satisfied my needs - decent widgets support, stats, recurring habits customization, and a cheap one-time premium license ($6).

This looks perfect, thank you!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Good mastodon client that’s either free or not a subscription? I just want to follow people.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Good mastodon client that’s either free or not a subscription? I just want to follow people.

If you’re just going to follow people I’d just use the official Mastodon app. If not you could try Ice Cubes, Woolly is also good (you have to pay to make posts but if you’re just following folks you should be okay)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
You have to pay to make posts? What kind of bullshit website is that!

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Toot! is the best one by far.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Ivory is the hot app everyone is talking about from the developers of Tweetbot. I think if you use the free version it's read only which I consider a feature.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I like Metatext for Mastadon.

Is there an alternative to the Music app for iOS? I just got a new Mac and when I went to update the Music app I found out that you can’t choose what music you want to sync by artists AND albums anymore. Instead it is either album or artist. This really sucks. Is there an alternative or a work around?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
The workaround I use is to sync a smart playlist matching all songs whose album is rated ≥4⭐️. You could also make a static playlist and manually add albums; displaying it “as albums” makes it easier to organize.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hadji murad posted:

I like Metatext for Mastadon.

Is there an alternative to the Music app for iOS? I just got a new Mac and when I went to update the Music app I found out that you can’t choose what music you want to sync by artists AND albums anymore. Instead it is either album or artist. This really sucks. Is there an alternative or a work around?

Soor and Marvis Pro are music alternatives.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I deleted Google Photos and Amazon Photos off my phone and I can’t believe how much faster and snappier iOS and spotlight search is. I’m not sure what kind of indexing is going on in the background that bogs it down so much, I have about 7,000 photos backed up across the different platforms, but it’s pretty redundant and unnecessary for me to even use them.

Hopefully they optimize whatever issues that are causing it in iOS 17.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Corb3t posted:

I deleted Google Photos and Amazon Photos off my phone and I can’t believe how much faster and snappier iOS and spotlight search is. I’m not sure what kind of indexing is going on in the background that bogs it down so much, I have about 7,000 photos backed up across the different platforms, but it’s pretty redundant and unnecessary for me to even use them.

Hopefully they optimize whatever issues that are causing it in iOS 17.

It seems that apps that expose the photos as files(like OneDrive) gets only minimal metadata extraction while apps that do so as images(like google/amazon photos) do the full ML analysis(face recognition+content recognition+metadata extraction).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Alright. Apple finally pulled Marvin off the app store. What's the replacement iOS eReader of choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just abased myself and turned to Kindle. It is fine.