Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Asteroid Alert posted:

JMS tweeted that he asked the surviving cast if it was ok to recast and they all said yes.

I imagine that what he said about recasting nearly 20 years ago when it was expected that any new B5 project would be live action doesn't apply so much to an animated movie coming in the van of a reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
B5 has got to be the only fandom where the announcement of the first project in many years, completed with the participation of almost every living original cast member, is met with “meh” or “they should’ve done THIS instead.”

The premise and the medium seem to me to be a good way to address areas where an actor was unavailable and the story suffered. If nothing else it should be a fun nostalgia trip.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Asteroid Alert posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...m_medium=social

Babylon 5: The Road Home will continue the story he started in the 1990s, with the log line stating, “Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe.”

Summer release? Do they mean 2024?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

epenthesis posted:

B5 has got to be the only fandom where the announcement of the first project in many years, completed with the participation of almost every living original cast member, is met with “meh” or “they should’ve done THIS instead.”

The premise and the medium seem to me to be a good way to address areas where an actor was unavailable and the story suffered. If nothing else it should be a fun nostalgia trip.

I just want a good faith effort. If they are going to have to cut corners or this is just going to be a cheap cash grab, then I would rather Babylon 5 stay locked away. We have enough beloved sci-fi & fantasy universes being driven into the ground.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I said come in! posted:

Summer release? Do they mean 2024?

No. It's not a production announcement, the movie's finished.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

No. It's not a production announcement, the movie's finished.

:eyepop:

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
It sounds fun and if not eh. It'll be nice to hear everyone (save Talia and uh.. Keffer) that's still around one more time.

But man, it'd rule if somehow Big Finish got the Babylon 5 license. Some of the stuff they've done with Doctor Who is phenomenal.

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

I said come in! posted:

I just want a good faith effort. If they are going to have to cut corners or this is just going to be a cheap cash grab, then I would rather Babylon 5 stay locked away. We have enough beloved sci-fi & fantasy universes being driven into the ground.

That’s why it’s apt. We were the ones who (briefly) worried that TNT would insist on an unwanted season 6, so it stands to reason we’d be a little leery of attempts to revive the franchise.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

epenthesis posted:

That’s why it’s apt. We were the ones who (briefly) worried that TNT would insist on an unwanted season 6, so it stands to reason we’d be a little leery of attempts to revive the franchise.
Plus a lot of the post-B5 content sucked and recent revivals of other franchises have really sucked.

I'll get my hopes up when I'm watching it and it's good.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The genius of Babylon 5 is that it was a fully planned out arc with a planned end. Everything that was in the show served a purpose. But that's the curse, is that it's hard to find a thread you can pull on to tell a new story. Like, I think the discussion here about "Vorlon society" is a good example, if a bit extreme. A lot of fans of franchises enjoy exploring the universe, but if you pull those threads in B5 things just start to unravel, because those threads were written to serve a very specific purpose for the B5 arc, and won't really stand alone on their own.

Something like "more Star Trek" works because Star Trek is a general purpose cinematic universe. "More B5" doesn't really make sense because B5 isn't a general purpose universe in that same way. The "essence" of Star Trek is pretty simple, exploring the human condition through alien allegories. The "essence" of B5 is a pre-planned arc with lots of call-forwards and long term payoffs that ends up being incredibly prescient 20 years later. I'm not sure any creator can pull two rabbits out of their hat like that in their career, nor should they even try.

All that being said, maybe the structure of this will mean that JMS isn't forced to pull on a single thread for the entire series, and is instead able to just pull on pieces as much as can be reasonable to flesh out the universe.

Although if JMS wants to sketch out a 5 year plan of a show that deals with Earth coming to terms with the fascism of the Clark administration maybe that would satisfy the prescient nature of B5.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

epenthesis posted:

It's not, this is just about every fandom now. Nobody wants to wait to see what creators and writers do, their fanfics are the only possible right answer and the most pathological among them will send a literal swat team to your house for disagreeing with them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So weird that they don't have Andrea Thompson for this.

Wonder how the actors will translate to an audio only medium. I imagine Boxleitner and Christian won't have trouble.

Clouseau posted:

But man, it'd rule if somehow Big Finish got the Babylon 5 license. Some of the stuff they've done with Doctor Who is phenomenal.

Not in the last decade tbh. There is a play with Jurasik in the guest cast that's free on Spotify though, if people are interested. It's... okay.

Torchwood, on the other hand...

(I'm not kidding)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Every franchise starts out like that, and it's only through multiple iterations that they become a much broader world. A lot of other franchises these days have their own problems trying to keep going.

Although I guess with B5, JMS seems a bit territorial, which kinda gets in the way of expanding a franchise.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Rappaport posted:

Cartoon Sheridan punching things in the air for his life.

Actually, you know what? Can they make this a multiverse of stupid thing where Sheridan meets up with Scrooge McDuck, with David Tennant going at it? I don't even care what kind of adventure they'd have, just let Scrooge commentate on the Babylon 5 universe for 45 minutes and I'm happy.

I think Scrooge and Londo would be friends :unsmith:

"AAAAAAAHHHH, Scroodge McDuck! Are you related to the late Mr. Garibaldi's house god?"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Dirty posted:

There's lots of branch points in the series where things could have gone very different in the story, so I guess there's a lot of material there. And that really would be "a love letter to the fans" because that sounds like it would be totally incomprehensible to anyone else. That's the real curse of Babylon 5. There was so much story that continuing it for a new audience is impossible, and catering to the existing one is difficult because that's a very finite, and probably shrinking, number of people.

It's one of those things JMS would likely never (and in fairness, probably could not) openly admit anyway, but a part of me wonders if something this left field and seemingly self contained in a way that it's neither a continuation or even really a side story is because it completely steers clear of anything the remake could end up doing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

epenthesis posted:

Pretty much anything outside the main show have not been...great though.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

I said come in! posted:

One of the main reasons Lost Tales never got a continuation was the low budget. The DVD sold well, but JMS wasn't happy that the studio gave him the same shoestring budget, limiting his options. Back then, JMS said he'd only return to B5 if Warner offered him a chance to do a feature with full creative control.

This new movie is that feature. A live-action film would have been amazing, but with the age of the cast and other production considerations, doing it via animation seems like a good option.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Asteroid Alert posted:

This new movie is that feature. A live-action film would have been amazing, but with the age of the cast and other production considerations, doing it via animation seems like a good option.

It being animation is not what I'm worried about, but I'm a day zero viewer so let's hope he got it right.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
There's a chance for this to be pure crap, that I do agree on. However, so many things are going for it to be a competent entry in the franchise.

Regarding the post-B5 projects, most of them were concepts that never got anywhere. The network meddling and JMS butting heads with the execs ruined Crusade. Legend of the Rangers was held back by its focus on being a backdoor pilot. Lost Tales was a concession from JMS and Warners giving him a trial run to see if the new series would have wings. We can discuss the quality of the work that we got at length (most of it is just poor). In reality, they were projects that were supposed to be longer than they ended out becoming.

Any major stories and such might be reserved for the "reimagining" (as JMS puts it), but having one last journey with Sheridan & Co. is more than welcome.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Midjack posted:

It's not, this is just about every fandom now. Nobody wants to wait to see what creators and writers do, their fanfics are the only possible right answer and the most pathological among them will send a literal swat team to your house for disagreeing with them.

There is a particular B5 fanfic covering the Dilgar War that i reread every few years, you can pry it from my cold, dead hands. :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

So weird that they don't have Andrea Thompson for this.

Wonder how the actors will translate to an audio only medium. I imagine Boxleitner and Christian won't have trouble.

Christian definitely won't - she mostly does VA these days. You've probably heard her, as well; she worked on Skyrim, where as I recall she voiced the female Nord.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jedit posted:

Christian definitely won't - she mostly does VA these days. You've probably heard her, as well; she worked on Skyrim, where as I recall she voiced the female Nord.

Oh yeah, that's why I singled her out. And Boxleitner was in the original Dead Space and Spec Ops The Line, plus he's done a lot of Tron reprises for games / cartoons.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Jedit posted:

Strictly speaking, she voiced the FemaleCommander voicetype. Includes the Imperial Legate you work with for the Legion questline and the blacksmith right next to the gate in Whiterun. Also one of the Jarls, some housecarls, a few followers, that alchemist in Falkreath ... I swear every town in Skyrim has Claudia Christian in it at least once.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"AAAAAAAHHHH, Scroodge McDuck! Are you related to the late Mr. Garibaldi's house god?"

Not gonna lie, I heard this in my head as pitch-perfect Londo, well done :allears:

Scrooge would be offended, though.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

JMS is pretty much foaming at the mouth about how good this is going to be. He doesn’t usually do that unless he truly believes it. During the original run he would always call out the best episodes ahead of time, and he was 100% right every time.

He’s been writing and producing longer than a lot of goons have been alive. He knows his poo poo. Sure some people won’t like it - that’s just the nature of entertainment, but I bet a dozen donuts this is not going to be dogsshit in ANY sense of the word. Is it going to blow my socks off? :iiam: But I’m sure I will at the very least enjoy it. :munch:

Wait…. Dear god … you don’t suppose that ….. he’s smart enough not to … I mean, the actors for Marcus and Ivanova are still alive…. And this talks about time travel … He wouldn’t possibly dust off some old story…. Would he??? :yikes:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JMS seems to like it for some reason but I have to imagine someone else would have said no even if Claudia Christian didn't give him a swirlie halfway through reading the script.

"Well you see Marcus was cryogenically preserved and cured hundreds of years later and then makes a clone of Ivanova and gaslights her into staying with him AGLUGGLUG" *chokes on piss as Ivanova shoves Straczynski's head into a toilet*

Midjack fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 13, 2023

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Marcus has been noticeably missing from any promo material - has JMS said anything about his absence?

Likewise for Talia and (I suppose) Keffer…

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zaroff posted:

Marcus has been noticeably missing from any promo material - has JMS said anything about his absence?

Likewise for Talia and (I suppose) Keffer…

All characters who died before the end of the series. If this is, as we expect, something set after the main run then they wouldn't be in it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The film's set in alternative timelines though.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Any chance this could be some other previously unseen bopping around time/timelines during War Without End?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If it's coming out this summer shouldn't we have a trailer by now?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ultrafilter posted:

If it's coming out this summer shouldn't we have a trailer by now?

A month from now, looks like:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1657065095703285761

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Excited for the blind watch to get to The Rock Cried Out but in retrospect the Minbari response to protestantism in general and fire and blood Gospel in particular should really have been :stare:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Really? Because I always felt like it should have been more along the lines of, "Maybe these humans are alright after all."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Minbari mysticism always struck me as being all about orthodoxy and harmony. Protestantism is a bridge too far but a fire and brimstone God seems right out.

Like, how do you question Catholicism if you can point to the Kingdom of God on a star map and the pope keeps up regular diplomatic contact with the heavenly host?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 14, 2023

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Animated movie not the only new B5 content this year:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1657538060102557696?t=xSQ5qbVRHObeNZX62ZGKEA&s=19

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh wow this is happening so fast. I will remain positive and hope for the best. Excited to see what this will look like.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Habibi posted:

Anybody else getting that Superman walk across America storyline vibes from the premise for this movie?

It reminds me of JMS's Happy Birthday Spiderman mini-arc where Spider-man interferes with Doctor Strange's spell and they both get cast outside of time and Doc Strange has Spider-man travel through his life, both future and past, to get back to his present moment.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Blind watch thread: “This Neroon guy actually has a point…”

:discourse: :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Man, that blind watch thread :allears: (quoting because it's that good :sun: )

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

3x21: Enter the Cowboy Zone Shadow Dancing

Uh....that cliffhanger. :suspense: There's at least a few possibilities going on here:
1. Anna Sheridan is a Shadow.
2. Anna Sheridan has been held by the Shadows and they're bringing her out now in a ploy to distract him (most likely).
3. The Shadows have somehow revived Anna Sheridan from the dead.

Credit to TubiTV because its description of the next episode - "Londo's political status changes" - reveals absolutely nothing about Anna Sheridan, the war, or even Londo (his "political status" changing could mean almost anything, though it's likely related to him finding favor after loving over Refa).

Or somehow Anna Sheridan could be this "other hand" that was prophesied by Kosh. There's some kind of fuckery going on and whatever happens is gonna be good. I really love how this series keeps you on your toes.

Gonna be hard to resist watching ep. 22 today and finishing out the season....

:munch: