Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

lmfao he literally bought a gong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress, that wasn't a bit

https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1655632306990731264?t=5fnqUr2Y9k_GTpPkQXINzQ&s=19

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cached Money posted:

lmfao he literally bought a gong
:mad:
are spoilers bannable in whatever subforum this thread is in

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i just rang the gong on ur rear end

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

TenementFunster posted:

:mad:
are spoilers bannable in whatever subforum this thread is in

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
:mods: ban+30 for Cached Money

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

crepeface posted:

:mods: ban+30 for Cached Money

you snooze you lose

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
This cartel episode has big Joe Rogan just asking questions vibes.

What if drug cartels are fake, and I’m using the movie Traffic as all my reasons for why. Followed up by some hard hitting pushbacks like oh, interesting and right right.

I couldn’t finish the interview so maybe it gets better but he has like half an interesting point that he would contradict almost immediately.

But here I am mad posting about a show that is basically astrology for men so who am I to criticize.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

dadjokes posted:

What if drug cartels are fake, and I’m using the movie Traffic as all my reasons for why. Followed up by some hard hitting pushbacks like oh, interesting and right right.

I couldn’t finish the interview so maybe it gets better but he has like half an interesting point that he would contradict almost immediately.

But here I am mad posting about a show that is basically astrology for men so who am I to criticize.

i think you may have missed his point. hes not saying that there arent gangs and drug trafficking in mexico, but that the idea of the Mexican Supergang (More Powerful Than The Army, Only Exists In Mexico) is a propaganda thing

there's no difference between ~Cartels~ and the kinds of drug traffickers that exist everywhere else, except that building the idea that the mexico is being run by a hypercentralized shadow government gang has positive benefits for certain groups

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah and the point about traffic was that Hollywood propagandizes the position of the neoliberal state almost subconsciously but you would know that if you actually listened to the episode

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
it would be good if brace and Liz asked more interesting questions of a lot of their interviewees but this was no sirhan sirhan woman interview imo

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I only like it when they say things I already agree with but, like, in a super obvious way. If I have to kick my brain out of neutral for ONE SECOND I'm turning the episode off.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Gone Fashing posted:

it would be good if brace and Liz asked more interesting questions of a lot of their interviewees but this was no sirhan sirhan woman interview imo

There's a little too long of a ramble in the middle, it's much better when they get him on a topic like the El Chapo trial or how it's been with the new president.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dadjokes posted:

its funny to listen to a podcast that constantly talks about how mafias and other criminal organizations are extensions of the state, but then get upset when they start talking about this concept in brown countries

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

another case of goons in the podcast forum not understanding anything and having the mind of a pomeranian

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

studio mujahideen posted:

i think you may have missed his point. hes not saying that there arent gangs and drug trafficking in mexico, but that the idea of the Mexican Supergang (More Powerful Than The Army, Only Exists In Mexico) is a propaganda thing

there's no difference between ~Cartels~ and the kinds of drug traffickers that exist everywhere else, except that building the idea that the mexico is being run by a hypercentralized shadow government gang has positive benefits for certain groups
when you think about it, CJNG is just trying to build dual power

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

dadjokes posted:

I was supremely disappointed, but it doesn’t get better. The back half of the interview is a freshman level discussion on pop culture representations of Mexico/Mexicans.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its funny to listen to a podcast that constantly talks about how mafias and other criminal organizations are extensions of the state, but then get upset when they start talking about this concept in brown countries

They spend maybe 30 seconds discussing how traffickers were somehow (informally or formally) connected with local police like forty years ago. And the big evidence that cartels are not as well organized as typically thought is a statement from an imprisoned boss that amounts to: “I am not the leader of a massive criminal organization.” Highly underwhelming. Maybe his book has some real content in it, but that interview was a snoozer.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Cached Money posted:

another case of goons in the podcast forum not understanding anything and having the mind of a pomeranian

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
this guy's sick loving accent made me trust him immediately. sorry guys, but cartels aren't real

getting mad about sicario 2 all over again, tho

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I thought cartel pod was nice

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I like dudes who talk American but then really Mexican up the Mexican names.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
The Mexican guest sounds like Brace putting on an accent.

Also lol @ saying you can't trust the media then spending the whole interview critiquing the media based on its word.

KORNOLOGY fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 13, 2023

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
How do talk about media corruption and not mention Carlos Slim?

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

studio mujahideen posted:

I do understood that point and when I read the description of the episode I was excited as it does make sense and not a perspective that is normally considered in reporting/representation of Mexico. And yeah I was a little glib in my description of the episode. But the guest didn’t really present any compelling points or examples outside a certain element of “common sense”. Yes at some point the threat of narcos/cartels/mafia was probably inflated to increase spending into specific govt agencies but there wasn’t really any engagement on specifics to that point that held up more than follow the money, man.

It just felt like a clunker of an episode to me, which is fine. I’m also pretty sure TA (but maybe it was Radio War Nerd) did an interview on the history of narcos and how they have been integrated into the state-either as police, politicians, or more legitimate business interests And when the state and criminal organizations start to intertwine like that, the average person becomes increasingly at risk and their quality of life decreases dramatically. Which also seems like a common thread of TA episodes so it felt especially odd to not push back on someone citing Pablo Escobar as an example of why cartels don’t exist.

Good idea but poor execution.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Were you guys all this bothered when the Hypno Assassin lady was on True anon?

I love all the weirdo softball guests they get.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah there was uproar in the thread when the sirhan sirhan woman was on but to be fair it's a bit more far fetched

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it is kinda weird they seem to go between investigative journalism and george noory

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
as a long time listener of last podcast on the left I don't really mind the more loony stuff

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
drat, we do love saying “Mig”

sukhoi just doesn’t have the same zazz

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
magnamonious

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

magnetic, moaning

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Rapidly Going Deaf > TrueAnon: Greatest Hits from the Gong

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

just sub on my poena

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Brace calling the homie was pretty funny.

"From New York!"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

serve my sub-poena until it issues.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

notarized but she still subbin

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Brace calling the homie was pretty funny.

"From New York!"

Rorobb
Aug 17, 2005

Anyone else catch brace take over a Twitter space that Benny Johnson was the guest of honor in? He made Benny Johnson look so stupid that Benny pretended to have connection issues. It was pretty funny

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Rorobb posted:

Anyone else catch brace take over a Twitter space that Benny Johnson was the guest of honor in? He made Benny Johnson look so stupid that Benny pretended to have connection issues. It was pretty funny

are you kidding me, i saw that happening, saw the name Benny Johnson and was like NOPE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Rorobb posted:

lmfao please tell me someone recorded this