Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

“My dudes have you heard of boost pedals?!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

it's two boss-DS1's

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Comedy wavefolder option.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Boss EQ pedal

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I will launch this package of oatmeal raisin cookies in my hand directly into the loving sun if it’s the boss eq pedal.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I will launch this package of oatmeal raisin cookies in my hand directly into the loving sun if it’s the boss eq pedal.

launch them into my mouth instead

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

landgrabber posted:

launch them into my mouth instead

It’s more that we already know the ge-7 is dope as hell. It would be a mean trick! 😡

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

lazerwolf posted:

Boss EQ pedal

yeah an EQ or a compressor would be my guess

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
boss hypermetal for bouncy jazz comps

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
can someone just tell me what i'm supposed to spend 100 dollars on

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
4 bad monkeys. I haven't checked their price lately but they were never very popular so I'm sure they're still... hmmmmmmmm wait a minute

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
gramps has given me really bad G.A.S. and i don't even know what over, it's hosed up as hell. i hope it's something that'll finally be the key to me being good at the guitar.

also i hate light colored fretboards. they trick me because they make the string action look higher than it really is. I was loving with this guitar for like 2 hours trying to get it to a low action without buzzing and it was already at 1.0mm apparently when i measured it

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Maybe a box full of DOD Grunge pedals. I had one when I was 14 and sold it to buy a tubescreamer. 14 year old me playing a no-name eddie van halen knockoff 3/4 scale guitar into my peavey 8" combo and that grunge pedal. Lots of Smells like Teen Spirit and Dammit being played at that time. gently caress you mom, I won't turn it down.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

can someone just tell me what i'm supposed to spend 100 dollars on

three years worth of strings, bought in bulk

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

It’s probably the EQD Plumes. Putting serious goonbux up on this bet. It’s a good pedal.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

It’s probably the EQD Plumes. Putting serious goonbux up on this bet. It’s a good pedal.

i have it and i actually don't like it as much as my TS9 i had (admittedly i havent hosed w the settings very much)

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

brandon ellis has the coolest guitar collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749W7mFsgQA

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

he sure likes his crackle and snakeskin finishes

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

he sure likes his crackle and snakeskin finishes

a man of taste

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
'What if Monster were a guitar brand'

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I guess we’ll never know the $99 answer. Sad!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

so tired of the fret buzzing (i was about to try to get it fixed and then i got fired, no poo poo) on the strat that i started playing the telecaster again and everything was great.

except that my input jack started periodically making nutty static noises through the amp regardless of cable.

i hate my LIFE

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Guitars suck, it's true.

After drilling a hole through my fancy new Warmoth head I had a fantastic idea - have MJT age the head/neck and work the drill hole into the aging. I'm a dummy and wanted a Fender decal just because it "looks right" so I ordered a set of three. I gotta install it myself because it's "Fender". The first test was kind of sloppy but worked. The second test went perfect. The third decal was the actual run, and I f'd it up. $28 down the drain, and another week added to the project. Because I'm a broke-brained lefty, and I would prefer to limit buzzing, I need to cut the decal into two pieces and get them both perfect so I can fit them around the triple string tree.

I'm really worried I'm going to put this thing together after all the blood, sweat, and tears - and then be like "oh, I like my MIM player better".

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 12, 2023

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Southern Cassowary posted:

brandon ellis has the coolest guitar collection

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=749W7mFsgQA

seems like a cool guy and i like that he does his own work (refrets, scalloping, etc) and also likes the really cool hantug stuff. they're awesome

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

muike posted:

seems like a cool guy and i like that he does his own work (refrets, scalloping, etc) and also likes the really cool hantug stuff. they're awesome

So awesome that he drives a Porsche 944.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I saw an yngwie malmsteen signature strat on Facebook the other day for $500. I don't really care about shredding or ynwie but I almost bought it to flip only problem is it was gold and I couldn't find any references to fender ever making a gold one. It has scalloped frets, said it was made in the USA, but when I looked up the serial number, nothing came up on several sites. The seller claimed they knew nothing about guitars and it was a family members (or stolen). The neck and decal looked legit and it had his signature on the headstock.

I did see a version of it on Alibaba (in gold) which instantly made me think it was a fake.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Verman posted:

I saw an yngwie malmsteen signature strat on Facebook the other day for $500. I don't really care about shredding or ynwie but I almost bought it to flip only problem is it was gold and I couldn't find any references to fender ever making a gold one. It has scalloped frets, said it was made in the USA, but when I looked up the serial number, nothing came up on several sites. The seller claimed they knew nothing about guitars and it was a family members (or stolen). The neck and decal looked legit and it had his signature on the headstock.

I did see a version of it on Alibaba (in gold) which instantly made me think it was a fake.

Indeed, I have a fake Yngwie strat from Ali. I was just scallop-curious, had no idea it was going to come with full Fender branding, including a fake serial that maps to 'Made in the US for export'.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Tad Naff posted:

Indeed, I have a fake Yngwie strat from Ali. I was just scallop-curious, had no idea it was going to come with full Fender branding, including a fake serial that maps to 'Made in the US for export'.

Yeah, sounds like a fake or partscaster with a real Yngwie neck (unlikely).

I have an Yngwie style strat but it's more a homage than a copy/fake -- 2006(?) Classic 60s strat (7.25" neck) that's been scalloped and painted Olympic White, but no Yngwie badging/labels. Love that thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Is there any way to, like... "limit" a potentiometer? I would love some way to make the volume pot of one of my guitars top out at like, 9.5 instead of 10 for tonal reasons. It's a standard 500K pot with a fairly hot but not absurdly so passive humbucker behind it (DiMarzio Crunch Lab).

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
1. Measure the pot value fully open.
2. Measure the pot value in the position you want.
3. Solder resistor of appropriate value in parallel to alter total resistance to V2.

The taper of the pot will alter slightly so you'll probably have to do some experimenting to find a value you like. A small value trim pot would probably help you here.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Someone help me. I think I’m going mad and might want a Jaguar, can you set the trem up to float? Does it stay in tune? I’ve heard they’re finicky and I think I need to talk myself out of this.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Jaguar's are built to float, it's the same trem as a jazzmaster. The bridge is pretty good at staying in tune when setup right and a lot of people swear by using shims in the neck to help raise the break angle. I am dead set on getting a player Jaguar sometime myself.

Worth watching this for some information on what you need to know re: setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BafuV4jWt9c

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I have the 70s vibe Jag Anderton's did a year or two back and it's great, although I did need to shim the neck to get a decent action. I've been taking mine to my tutor so it's in and out of the gig bag and tuning hasn't been a problem even then, possibly improved after the shim.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I think I might actually look into the G & L Tribute offsets because they have maple fingerboard options and I’m very superficial.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

TheMightyBoops posted:

I think I might actually look into the G & L Tribute offsets because they have maple fingerboard options and I’m very superficial.

G&L is good poo poo
I won't shill for most brands but they've earned my trust

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

May I please ask a dumb question. Can you use a speaker element as a pickup? I was just having this weird fantasy of taking these big speakers I have and putting one where you would put a resonator for a dobro and seeing what comes out. Would there be any joy in that do you think?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think it'd be directed enough to do much as just the element, but if you swap two wires any speaker becomes a microphone so you could just put the whole cone in that space. I'll tell you right now, it'll sound very bassy and you'll barely hear anything through it. People use smaller speakers (6" or 8" maybe?) as microphones on kick drums, it's sold as a sub-kick. Geoff Emerick claimed he invented it to get a full sound out of Paul's bass while working on a Beatles record, I forget which one but maybe Abbey Road?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it'd be directed enough to do much as just the element, but if you swap two wires any speaker becomes a microphone so you could just put the whole cone in that space. I'll tell you right now, it'll sound very bassy and you'll barely hear anything through it. People use smaller speakers (6" or 8" maybe?) as microphones on kick drums, it's sold as a sub-kick. Geoff Emerick claimed he invented it to get a full sound out of Paul's bass while working on a Beatles record, I forget which one but maybe Abbey Road?

Right, I kind of expected as much, thanks. It was the bass drum speaker idea that kind of motivated me to ask that, never heard it was from that guy before. Thanks!

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Baron von Eevl posted:

Paul's bass sound changed on Paperback Writer/Rain, so around Revolver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
What was the super secret pedal that makes my tone good?