Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

No one is owed an inheritance, you can’t punish someone by taking it away especially if it was never promised no matter how entitled a rich kid is acting. Someone not receiving an inheritance just isn’t getting a windfall, and that’s not even the case here since Sam got $150k for nothing. And whatever Sam did or didn’t do, it comes down to dead dad not wanting to reward the product of an affair (presumably). It could have been any other reason, bad vibes or whatever you want to call it, and at best it’s not fair or inequitable, but punishment is a weird word for someone not getting something that was never theirs or earned in the first place.

He's a grieving teenager being posthumously all but told "You're no son of mine" by the man who raised him and the only father he's ever known.

Per OP's only comment, Sam didn't even find out he didn't have Lee's DNA until after Lee was already dead. So he got to find out all this poo poo while in mourning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Expensive meal dad confirmed that the restaurant is in the French Laundry zone.

Expensive meal mom*

Lottery of Babylon posted:

He's a grieving teenager being posthumously all but told "You're no son of mine" by the man who raised him and the only father he's ever known.

Per OP's only comment, Sam didn't even find out he didn't have Lee's DNA until after Lee was already dead. So he got to find out all this poo poo while in mourning.

It's pretty much the worst way to pull the rug on Sam, even if we assume bad vibes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
They didn't even leave him a rug?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They didn't even leave him a rug?

Yeah, pulled it right out from under him, at the last part of the story.

Dolduck
Oct 15, 2021
And gave him $150k
Poor child

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for calling my friend cringe after he asked a stripper on a date?

quote:

So my friend and I went to a strip club last night. He seemed to be really into one of the strippers, and kept trying to chat her up during her set. I could tell she was just being polite, but he didn't seem to get the hint.

After she finished her set, he asked her if she wanted to go on a date with him sometime. She politely declined and said she wasn't interested in dating customers. My friend seemed pretty disappointed, but he didn't make a big deal out of it.

Later, when we were leaving the club, I told him that I thought it was cringe that he asked a stripper on a date. I said it was kind of disrespectful to her and her job, and that he was just setting himself up for disappointment. My friend got really defensive and said I was just jealous that he had the guts to ask her out. We ended up arguing about it for a while, and now he's not talking to me.

I feel kind of bad for calling him cringe, but I really do think it was an inappropriate thing to do. Am I the rear end in a top hat here?

I like the idea of calling people cringe instead of stupid.

AITA for calling my mother a "loving monster" as she was having a mental breakdown?

quote:

For a while, I was a single father of three lovely boys, ages 7 and 5. When my oldest two were 1, my ex-girlfriend and I split after I found out she cheated multiple times. We decided to “co-parent,” but she was incredibly distanced from the family. 4 months after she gave birth to my youngest son, she decided that she wasn’t ready to be a mother and left.

I haven’t seen her since.

Growing up, my mum envisioned a very specific life plan for me. She’s always wanted to control my life; my education, career, and romantic relationships.

My mum loved my ex-girlfriend (my son’s bio mum). To her, she was the perfect woman. Even after I told her the details of my ex walking out on my family, she still adores her. My mum even blames me for her leaving me (“Oh, you MUST have done something to make her leave.” “Oh, you probably didn’t treat her like a gentleman etc.). It’s emotionally taxing and I don’t speak to her much. To her, I’ll always be a failure. A disappointment. And she has made her thoughts very clear to me.

My girlfriend, “Fiona,” and I have been dating for 3 years. When I met her, I wasn’t actively looking for a relationship, but I’m so incredibly happy I met her. She’s wonderful and I can’t wait for her to officially be a part of my family. The boys love her (my youngest calls her mum), and I love her.

My mum, of course, does not. She does not like Fiona at all. Because she’s not my ex (and thank God she isn’t), Fiona will never be good enough.

My dad invited us to celebrate my mum’s birthday. My dad told me that if I brought Fiona, he would ensure that there would be no drama.

I wish it was a nice, calm, afternoon spent with family.

My mum is a heavy drinker. Late into the afternoon, after having way too much to drink, she starts “playfully,” chasing my son around the yard. He’s scared, crying, and runs to Fiona.

My mum, extremely drunk, begins to curse out a 7-year-old boy for running away from her. Fiona, interjects and yells at my mum that she can’t yell at “her son.” (Her words).

This sets my mum off. After hearing Fiona refer to the children as her own, my mum begins ranting (loudly) about how Fiona will never be the boy’s bio mum (their “real” mum) and how their “real” mother would have never poisoned their heads and caused them to be afraid of their own grandmother.

Fiona is in shock, but I loudly yell back, “Maybe my kids are scared of you cause you’re a loving monster!”

Fiona, the kids, and I left shortly after.

My dad texted me. He told me that I shouldn’t have called my mother a monster when she was clearly having a breakdown. My mum is having a hard time accepting Fiona, and hearing Fiona was probably the last straw. He’s encouraging me to apologize before my mum apologizes. He wants to clear the air and everything to return to normal.

I don’t want to do that.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I too call my raging benders where I terrorize children 'mental breakdowns' :hmmyes:

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for “making fun” of my girlfriends lack of friends ?

quote:

I (25M) love my girlfriend (24F). She is chill, funny, and kind. Recently we got into a bit of a heated discussion because of something I pointed out. When I first met her, I realized she wasn’t very social. She likes alone time, to spend nights alone (I understand because she does work a lot) , and isint very outgoing. She’s not anti social though, just a bit reserved.

But she doesn’t really have a big friend group. Myself on the other hand, I have about 25 friends. 10 very close friends. She only has two girl friends and the three of them only hang out like every other week.

Maybe it’s because I came from a small town where everybody knows each other, and comes from a more populated area. I did think it was a red flag though at first. Since I’ve had the same friends since early childhood.

Anyways, for her birthday last week, I tried to put together a party and I asked who she wanted to invite, and she only said those two friends. For my party, I’m planning on having 25+ people.

I said, “that’s it?” And mentioned casually when we talked about growing up in my town that a girl who went to high school with us got made fun of for only having 1-2 friends. She said to me “So it’s a problem I only have 2 friends? People haven’t counted friends since high school “

I wasn’t counting friends. I was just saying. Before I met her, I was hanging out with my friends very frequently. They go out for dinner or have sleepovers every other week. MAYBE once a week.

Anyways, AITA? I didn’t mean to make her feel bad. I just made an observation.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Lol imagine being such a loser you only have 1 or 2 close friends ahahaha

:smith:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pomme de Terror posted:

I wasn't counting friends I say of our conversation where I made an assessment based on a quantitative analysis of the size of her social circle.

Wonder what this guy would think of my hermit rear end.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

quote:

DEAR ABBY: I dated a separated married man for six months. He said he wanted a committed relationship with me, but after two months, he decided he still wanted to have sex with his wife occasionally. I assumed he’d be with her, like, maybe once a month or once every three months. He told me I would be his primary girl. Well, I found out that she, not I, was primary.

I have cut it off with him and am now moving on, but he still wants to be friends. At first, I did too. But now, when I look back at the betrayal, I no longer want to be his friend. Am I wrong? Should I continue the friendship? -- SECOND PLACE IN MARYLAND
Abby said no, but I think this woman should continue being dumb and having no standards.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I too call my raging benders where I terrorize children 'mental breakdowns' :hmmyes:

Your mom's just having a narcissistic fit, you know she'll say words similar to ones a penitent individual might tomorrow so can't you just wait it out

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Enemabag Jones posted:

Lol imagine being such a loser you only have 1 or 2 close friends ahahaha

:smith:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's not about how much money the son was left. It's about the posthumous, out of the blue, "gently caress you".

"I stopped loving you because your mother cheated" is a lousy last message to leave.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling my siblings out for not having their children write thank you notes?

quote:

I (f49) recently sent $1,500 to my sister (f45) so that her daughter (f14) could go on a class trip to Washington DC and New York. I also sent her daughter a new set of Glossier makeup. It’s been six weeks, and have not received a thank you note/text. I had also sent my older brother (m53) and his sons (m17, m18) $300 Tiffany pens for their graduation, last year, and also didn’t get a thank you note/text.

I just found out that they received the pens because yesterday I sent a text asking why they aren’t making their children write thank you notes when they receive a gift, like our parents made us do when we received a gift from a relative.

My brother said “it’s awkward.”

I came back with “I don’t care that it’s awkward. They should learn to express gratitude for gifts in other situations in their lives.”

My sister was making excuses, and asking me why I was so upset about being ignored by a 14-year-old.

I told them it hurt my feelings, and that I felt under appreciated.

AITA?

I didn't write a thank you letter to my grandma for xmas presents when I was four and she never sent me another gift for the rest of her life.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Pomme de Terror posted:

Imagine being 25 and talking about having sleepovers with your friends.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's not about how much money the son was left. It's about the posthumous, out of the blue, "gently caress you".

"I stopped loving you because your mother cheated" is a lousy last message to leave.

We don't know poo poo about Sam. He could've been a terrible spoiled kid or something on top of being an affair kid. Or maybe he really is a good guy who only got $150k instead of a couple mil. I don't think the OP gave us much one way or the other, but we do know what the dad's last wishes were as per his will.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling my siblings out for not having their children write thank you notes?

I didn't write a thank you letter to my grandma for xmas presents when I was four and she never sent me another gift for the rest of her life.

I did thank you notes as a kid, and the kids I nannied for did them (or their parents did, whatever, the kids signed them all) and that was just for ordinary gifts. for poo poo that expensive, i'd write thank you notes today.

My grandma stopped sending me gifts when I didn't write a thank you note to her, but in fairness, she took my dad's side in my parents divorce, blamed my mom for having depression so she couldn't satisfy her son and forcing him to have many affairs, and wiped her hands of the grandkids when we didn't see it her way. This from a woman who divorced her cheating husband in the 40's.

poo poo just tonight i got a long thank you text from a friend when he found the birthday present I left him after housesitting; he found the Legos and card but missed the three foot of cardboard wrapped around a large painting. He loved it. He apparently missed it the previous day, and not going to lie, I was rather sad and disappointed he didn't thank me for making something so big that he had mentioned he wanted for his new place.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 12, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mx. posted:

Not doing thank you notes is my primary regret from childhood. Make your kids do them.

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Silly Newbie posted:

Imagine being 25 and talking about having sleepovers with your friends.

that sounds cool we can stay up late and watch movies

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Give a gift if you want to and it makes you feel good. Expecting something (anything) in return makes you the rear end in a top hat.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Not doing thank you notes is my primary regret from childhood. Make your kids do them.

:lol: what?

I don't expect thank you notes at all from any of my siblings or their kids. That's ridiculous. I get them stuff because I love them, not because I need affirmation for getting them stuff.

Braincloud posted:

Give a gift if you want to and it makes you feel good. Expecting something (anything) in return makes you the rear end in a top hat.

Basically, this.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Braincloud posted:

A simple thank you is polite.

AITA for calling the police on my neighbor who hotwired my car because his wife was in labor?

quote:

I (32M) have a neighbor, let's call him Jack (35M). Jack and I have had our differences. Our main issues revolve around boundaries; he has borrowed my lawn mower without asking a few times and once used my grill when I was out of town. I've spoken to him about this several times, but he justifies it as 'neighborly sharing'.

Two nights ago, at around 3 a.m., I heard some noise outside. Looking out, I saw someone getting into my car and driving off. I panicked, thinking my car was being stolen, and called the police. I didn't realize it was Jack because it was dark, and honestly, I didn't think he would go as far as to take my car without permission.

The police intercepted him, and it turned out that his wife had gone into labor. He claimed his car wouldn't start and in his panic, he decided to hotwire my car to rush her to the hospital. His wife ended up delivering their baby in the backseat of my car because of the delay caused by the police intervention.

Now, many people in our neighborhood are calling me the rear end in a top hat for involving the police and potentially risking the life of his wife and newborn. Jack is furious and says I overreacted. However, I argue that if he had respected my boundaries from the start, this wouldn't have happened.

I understand it was an emergency, but I still feel violated and upset that he hotwired my car without permission. But now, with a newborn involved, I'm wondering if I'm the bigger rear end in a top hat here. AITA?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Mx. posted:

Thank you notes are bullshit performative etiquette nonsense.

Yes, it's nice to write a heartfelt note expressing ones gratitude for a meaningful, or large gift. It's even nicer to receive one of said notes.

But to expect one as a matter of course, and to get pissy and deny further gifts because of that. Is the mark of an arsehole.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Thank you notes are bullshit performative etiquette nonsense.

Yes, it's nice to write a heartfelt note expressing ones gratitude for a meaningful, or large gift. It's even nicer to receive one of said notes.

But to expect one as a matter of course, and to get pissy and deny further gifts because of that. Is the mark of an arsehole.

how about at least a phone call or text? poo poo, when my dad paid for one of my school trips, i called him to thank him, and texted later as well because the trip was over a grand with plane tickets.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

According to grandma a thank you in person is not enough, you need to write that letter

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for calling the police on my neighbor who hotwired my car because his wife was in labor?

I’m guessing OP probably would have driven Jack and wife to the hospital if he had asked. What weirdo neighborhood does he live in where someone hotwiring your car and taking off with it is not theft?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cowslips Warren posted:

how about at least a phone call or text? poo poo, when my dad paid for one of my school trips, i called him to thank him, and texted later as well because the trip was over a grand with plane tickets.

As you yourself said earlier. That's just being polite, and a decent person who is grateful for the gift.

But expecting someone to sit down in the drawing room to pen a formal "Dear Grandmother, Thank you for the doll you gave me on Christmas. It is ever so pretty. With Love, your granddaughter" letter, instead of a "Thanks Grandma. It's great." and a hug is bullshit bourgeoise performative nonsense.

Sorry if I came across as rude.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Mx. posted:

According to grandma a thank you in person is not enough, you need to write that letter

A tree must die so that honor may live.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you gave me a gift, the thank you is in accepting it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kenshin posted:

:lol: what?

I don't expect thank you notes at all from any of my siblings or their kids. That's ridiculous. I get them stuff because I love them, not because I need affirmation for getting them stuff.

This was old-school polite society in NEw England in the 1970s. It was very much the done thing.

Also, you're giving gifts for the right reasons. But expressions of gratitude should be similarly spontaneous.

Yes, I know that contradicts "make your kids write them", so I'll amend that to "encourage gratitude in your children", thank you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Horsebanger posted:

that sounds cool we can stay up late and watch movies

We, as grown men, can pretend it’s middle school and we could “accidentally” find an old Porky’s Revenge VHS tape…

It would be awesome.

until my wife comes home early and is all “what the gently caress?!”

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not sure which is more unbelievable, that someone is able to hotwire a car in TYOOL 2023, or that the police bothered with a stolen vehicle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hughlander posted:

Not sure which is more unbelievable, that someone is able to hotwire a car in TYOOL 2023, or that the police bothered with a stolen vehicle.

It being 2023 doesn't say anything about the model year of the car

Although it would have to be many years old and probably a piece of crap when it was new to be easily hotwired, yeah

Funniest possibility: it's a hyundai and Jack learned how to hotwire it from tiktok

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
Don't get so hung up on thank you note etiquette to miss that the OP of the note saga indicated that a text would be fine but hadn't gotten one after a couple grand in gifts. I think that'd irritate me to. "Your aunt gave us a lot of money so you could go on this trip, make sure to thank her" doesn't seem like a big parenting reach.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Agrikk posted:

We, as grown men, can pretend it’s middle school and we could “accidentally” find an old Porky’s Revenge VHS tape…

It would be awesome.

until my wife comes home early and is all “what the gently caress?!”

It sure beats Super Mario Bros.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hughlander posted:

A bunch of people are calling bullshit on the story. Hotwiring is time consuming, and honestly, the idea that the rest of the neighbours are getting pissed at the OP for calling the cops when his car was ostensibly stolen is loving absurd at best.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Silly Newbie posted:

Don't get so hung up on thank you note etiquette to miss that the OP of the note saga indicated that a text would be fine but hadn't gotten one after a couple grand in gifts. I think that'd irritate me to. "Your aunt gave us a lot of money so you could go on this trip, make sure to thank her" doesn't seem like a big parenting reach.

Yeah, that kind of thing is really worth teaching kids. I’ve gone out on a limb to do favors for people and not getting even a simple “thanks! You’ve been a big help!” makes me not want to help them out in the future

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Seems like we should be teaching kids how to hotwire vehicles instead of writing thank you notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Maybe he was mad and petty.

Maybe Sam was a cock.

We don't actually know :shrug: