Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
he shouldn't have been suspended he should've gotten a loving war medal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm still doing research on this one but I think maybe mennoknight doesn't like Edmonton.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I'm still doing research on this one but I think maybe mennoknight doesn't like Edmonton.

He's still angry about them sending Lucic to Calgary.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Man 1 game for that slaah is some serious fuckin bullshit

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man 1 game for that slaah is some serious fuckin bullshit

:agreed:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's open season on both stars and Stars now, boys

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

It's fascinating watching Vegas and Edmonton alternate absolutely dominating games. This series is a bizarre game of roshambo.

Literally and figuratively

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
I don't like Edmonton at all, but Nurse and Pietrangelo getting equal suspensions is an absolute joke. Pietrangelo should've gotten 3 minimum for that horseshit.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Mike Works posted:

I don't like Edmonton at all, but Nurse and Pietrangelo getting equal suspensions is an absolute joke. Pietrangelo should've gotten 3 minimum for that horseshit.

Ya I'm biased as hell but lmao this league

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yeah that was a bad call for the league. Pietrangelo and Nurse are guaranteed to be back for at least one game. This series could get real ugly.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
should have suspended nurse while he was playing double agent for the kings

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

News: https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1656843551492255747

Views: That promise I made to my wife that we'd get tickets to the Cup finals come hell or high water is looking like I might need to cough up. :getin:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
George Parros breaks a pool cue in half and leaves Nurse and Pietrangelo alone in the room.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/canes/status/1656846818028802048?s=46

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

They didn't suspend...who was that, that one Blues player that tried VERY hard to grievously injure Kadri last year, so why would this be different?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Aces High posted:

They didn't suspend...who was that, that one Blues player that tried VERY hard to grievously injure Kadri last year, so why would this be different?

And they should have thrown his rear end into the sun

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Oh wrong thread

Preemptive the Stars hosed it all up by playing too passively post, will they finally make the adjustments to their game they need to beat Seattle?

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 12, 2023

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Roope Hintz might be hurt, which uh

Sucks, to seriously undersell it

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
Devils fans going through stage 5.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Roope Hintz might be hurt, which uh

Sucks, to seriously undersell it

https://twitter.com/SaadYousuf126/status/1656886801573859328

so it's either all clear or some gamesmanship from DeBoer.. please be ok Hintz :( the team may need another 3 point night from you to close this one out

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/BallySportsSW/status/1656897617559801857

Here's a cool stat I think is good.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Is it just me or does Dallas play bizarrely low shot games? Half the time I click a box score on a Dallas game and it's like 20 shots a piece for both teams.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wow, I know Claude Lemieux's history as a pest undersold his talent but :wtf:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Is it just me or does Dallas play bizarrely low shot games? Half the time I click a box score on a Dallas game and it's like 20 shots a piece for both teams.

This was more pronounced from around 2017 when Hitchcock took over for that one season and trained the team in his image up until the COVID years.. in some of those years they were distinctly the lowest event / tempo team in the league (to borrow a basketball term). They still kind of lapse into that style of play where the defend from inside out, block a ton of shots, and try to counter attack with "one and done" odd man rushes as their main form of generating offense instead of the sustained puck recovery / cycle style of play that may generate a ton of shot attempts... especially when they have a lead, they tend to just stop generating chances all together and focus on trying to turtle up.

I kind of rationalize it as you have to use the system that your players know, and a large majority of the players on the Stars were brought in to play that kind of style. They are not a fast team nor are they particularly good at moving the puck out of their own end.. what they do know how to do is clutch and grab, dive in front of shots, and trust in Jake Oettinger to bail them out if something does get through. I expect the team to start to shift towards more of a wider open style under DeBoer with the types of talents they have coming up in the system and the type of players Jim Nill has prioritized acquiring in the last off-season with DeBoer as the coach but it remains to be seen if the team can break free of their self imposed shackles and play some entertaining hockey more consistently..

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 12, 2023

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah that was a bad call for the league. Pietrangelo and Nurse are guaranteed to be back for at least one game. This series could get real ugly.

It's on course to set a record for total PIM in a series, it's already loving ugly.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

tarbrush posted:

It's on course to set a record for total PIM in a series, it's already loving ugly.

Wait really? That seems nuts.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

they tossed in a pile of misconducts game 4 which is kinda cheating

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

I thought I saw it in an athletic article and now can't find it, so I may be talking out my arse, but there have been mass brawls the last two games.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Goilers!

I have a softball game ending just before this game so hopefully I get to experience two wins tonight!

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

This seems brutal, but it's actually even worse because Erik Haula has been bounced by Carolina 4 years in a row - he spent most of 2019-20 with them before they sent him to Florida.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bettman no doubt salivating at the prospect of Vegas vs Dallas and Carolina vs Florids southern red state hockey. Okay well i guess Nevada is purple now but yeah.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
people will just post whatever in here huh

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Powershift posted:

Theodore also got a Penalty for that earlier in the game.

I went to bed once they were up 4-0 so i missed all the dumb bullshit.

Both teams combined for 111 PIM last night. They were at 134 in game 2. and in 4 games are at 279 They need to pick up the pace if they want to get into the 500 club.

https://records.nhl.com/records/playoff-team-records/penalties/most-penalty-minutes-both-teams-one-series-playoff

They're not even half way to the record with 4 games played. That said, in 2013 Montreal and Ottawa combined for 236 in a single game, so it really only takes 1.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-ott/2013/05/05/2012030123#game=2012030123,game_state=final

7:04 of the third was......an event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hknAVaXJs60

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Powershift posted:

They're not even half way to the record with 4 games played. That said, in 2013 Montreal and Ottawa combined for 236 in a single game, so it really only takes 1.

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/mtl-vs-ott/2013/05/05/2012030123#game=2012030123,game_state=final

This game and series ruled.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Powershift posted:

lol I forgot the habs signed Colby Armstrong for a year. No wonder they sucked.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kale posted:

Bettman no doubt salivating at the prospect of Vegas vs Dallas and Carolina vs Florids southern red state hockey. Okay well i guess Nevada is purple now but yeah.

This playoffs has been a nightmare for him. He had the prospect of Boston, New York and Vegas making serious runs to make ESPN happy and they've all achieved various levels of "a smoking crater in the ground" status. The only possible save would be Vegas advancing which doesn't look too likely or the Leafs pulling off a miracle. Bettman likes Carolina and Florida as markets to ensure the sport isn't viewed as a North East regional league, but he wants them to be punching bags for the original six. Good thing Bedard ended up on one of them magically somehow!

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think at this point Bettman is just desperately hoping for a Heat-Nuggets NBA final so the NHL can at least get some airtime on the radio and talking heads shows.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think at this point Bettman should just eat rocks

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Simplex posted:

I think at this point Bettman is just desperately hoping for a Heat-Nuggets NBA final so the NHL can at least get some airtime on the radio and talking heads shows.

I think he should probably hope that whatever is ailing him as he ages doesn’t get worse before someone else starts running the NHL. Dude is getting extra shaky these days.

Then the next guy can move the Coyotes to New Mexico where it can languish for 20 years until the next person comes in to put a team in a desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
espn sure would be mad if the best two players in the sport continued winning. they'd be incensed. furious.