Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

The last two hours I was staring at the temps since dinner was overdue and they were pretty stable. I didn't start the cook with those extra probes in, only after 4 hours and things didn't seem to be as far along as they should. After I noticed the temps seemed kind of low I bumped them with the app and watched the other probes go up about the amount I increased it by and stabilize. I had both probes on the left side but the main grate one was maybe a little too close to the front?

Interesting. I can't say I have any specific advice other than just the information I've shared already. I do think the left side is hotter, maybe even after it all gets up to temp. I only really notice a difference when I'm doing something quick like burgers or steaks. I think that's where the probe is for the grill itself, and what controls the fan. I haven't noticed a difference back vs. front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

What?

What?

Fry's is more than an out of business electronics store?

lol yep! Grocery actually predates electronics. From the Wikipedia article: Fry's was founded in 1954 by Donald Fry in northern California. With the help of his brother Charles, the chain expanded into the Phoenix market in 1960. Fry's was sold in 1972 to Dillons, based in Hutchinson, Kansas. (The sons of Charles Fry used the proceeds from the sale to launch Fry's Electronics in 1985; it was otherwise separate from and unaffiliated with the grocery chain.) Dillons merged with Kroger in 1983.

So it's basically a Kroger under a different name.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Bob A Feet posted:

Sam’s here had beef cheek on sale. 8lbs for $20. My wife said no because “you make barbecue a lot.” I’m beginning to wonder if she’s even from Texas. Do we have a relationship sub forum? :ohdear:

Goddamn I would be all over that. One of the best things I have ever eaten was beef cheek, salt and pepper, smoked until bark set, then confited in smoked tallow to keep it from drying out too much on the way to tender.

Incredible on its own, but was made to be served inside a lettuce wrap with nam pla prik.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dango Bango posted:

lol yep! Grocery actually predates electronics. From the Wikipedia article: Fry's was founded in 1954 by Donald Fry in northern California. With the help of his brother Charles, the chain expanded into the Phoenix market in 1960. Fry's was sold in 1972 to Dillons, based in Hutchinson, Kansas. (The sons of Charles Fry used the proceeds from the sale to launch Fry's Electronics in 1985; it was otherwise separate from and unaffiliated with the grocery chain.) Dillons merged with Kroger in 1983.

So it's basically a Kroger under a different name.

WHAT

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Doom Rooster posted:

Goddamn I would be all over that. One of the best things I have ever eaten was beef cheek, salt and pepper, smoked until bark set, then confited in smoked tallow to keep it from drying out too much on the way to tender.

Incredible on its own, but was made to be served inside a lettuce wrap with nam pla prik.

Other than trimming it, it is super easy to cook too. I smoked for a few hours and then braised a bit a la barbacoa (bastardized, I’m sure) and it was incredible. Get your beef bbq fix in without having to cook all day or night.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Other than trimming it, it is super easy to cook too. I smoked for a few hours and then braised a bit a la barbacoa (bastardized, I’m sure) and it was incredible. Get your beef bbq fix in without having to cook all day or night.

Somewhat related, a big thank you to whoever ITT recommended vacuum sealing and freezing leftovers. Allowed me to not get tired eating the same / similar leftovers for a week straight after the cook and they freeze and reheat really well.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Smoking a couple of smaller briskets for my moms 70th bday party later today. Put them on at 11 last night, woke up to the tail end of the stall around 170 and wrapped them in butcher paper. Gonna pull at 203, wrap them again in foil then towels and stuff them in a cooler until party time.

Also, there is nothing quite like an overnight smoke not far from your open bedroom window. I was having brisket dreams.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For hickory pellets, can they be used for anything besides red meat? Maybe pork or chicken?

I’m hoping so because I rarely smoke red meat but I bought a huge hickory bag and am hoping it’s not too intense since it’s a pellet smoker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like hickory is neutral enough that it could be used with almost anything. I know it's quite popular with ham. The only popular wood that I feel needs to really be used with care is mesquite. Although I am sure others have their own opinions.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

I feel like hickory is neutral enough that it could be used with almost anything. I know it's quite popular with ham. The only popular wood that I feel needs to really be used with care is mesquite. Although I am sure others have their own opinions.

This is also my opinion.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Internet Explorer posted:

That’s it-I was confusing mesquite with hickory. Mesquite is super overpowering from what I remember. My stepdad was from Texas and used mesquite for everything. Thanks!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Why start the meat the day before you need it?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
What is a fire board. I would like to know more

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Click on "show posts by this user" (starting on page 2) and learn everything you wanted.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
God am I sucker for pretty chats and graphs

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
FireBoard is the best thermometer I’ve used hands down. Having WI-FI and great historical data is awesome. I’d buy mine again full price with no qualms.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Picked up a pork butt (~6.75 lbs) and a brisket flat (~6.25 lbs) for a cookout tomorrow. If I’m cooking at 225 degrees, when should I try to start these bad boys if I want them ready at dinner tomorrow? If it was just one or the other I’d just start around 6am but I haven’t doubled up before and it’s also been a while since I did a pork butt.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Picked up a pork butt (~6.75 lbs) and a brisket flat (~6.25 lbs) for a cookout tomorrow. If I’m cooking at 225 degrees, when should I try to start these bad boys if I want them ready at dinner tomorrow? If it was just one or the other I’d just start around 6am but I haven’t doubled up before and it’s also been a while since I did a pork butt.

I would be putting those fuckers in at 8pm the night before. Sounds like you have a lot of mouths to feed. Both brisket and butt will do really well wrapped in foil, then a towel, then put in a cooler if they finish way early. They will stay hot for 4+ hours that way in my experience. If you lack cooler space, the microwave is a very good option for a sealed, insulated space.

This has gotta be the most common question in this thread, I think the standard answer ought to be “start cooking at bedtime tonight for dinner tomorrow.”

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Lawnie posted:

I would be putting those fuckers in at 8pm the night before. Sounds like you have a lot of mouths to feed. Both brisket and butt will do really well wrapped in foil, then a towel, then put in a cooler if they finish way early. They will stay hot for 4+ hours that way in my experience. If you lack cooler space, the microwave is a very good option for a sealed, insulated space.

This has gotta be the most common question in this thread, I think the standard answer ought to be “start cooking at bedtime tonight for dinner tomorrow.”

Yeah, if it's just for you and the Mrs you can go play gently caress around the same day but for a crew, better to be safe than face the hungry mob!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I dunno if I'd do 8pm, but definitely somewhere around 10-12pm assuming you are planning 5pm or later dinner.

I did two slightly larger briskets last week targeting the same time, put them on at 11pm and they weren't ready to pull until nearly 3pm.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

You can also get up early and have them on the smoker by 4am. That's if you're comfortable potentially cutting it close and can be on top of wrapping and everything to minimize the stall.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
It's better to get it done earlier and keep it warm and wrapped IMO. (opposed to it not being done and/or trying to rush)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bob A Feet posted:

FireBoard is the best thermometer I’ve used hands down. Having WI-FI and great historical data is awesome. I’d buy mine again full price with no qualms.

toplitzin posted:

Click on "show posts by this user" (starting on page 2) and learn everything you wanted.

Is there a way to get one of these and sick nasty graphs on my phone that don't start at 200 American Dollars + Probes + A fan? What does the fan do?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Kaddish posted:

It's better to get it done earlier and keep it warm and wrapped IMO. (opposed to it not being done and/or trying to rush)

This is the way.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Is there a way to get one of these and sick nasty graphs on my phone that don't start at 200 American Dollars + Probes + A fan? What does the fan do?

the fan is so the fireboard can manage the temp automatically rather than you managing the vents manually. My old Weber iGrill has temp graphs while the cook is going on but doesn't do historical and forgets once you turn it off. I think the phone is what actually tracks the temps so if you're out of range it won't keep track. Not as smart as the fireboard but not as expensive either.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 12, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh well I got an electric so I don't need the fan right?
But the description made it sound like a fan was required.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh well I got an electric so I don't need the fan right?
But the description made it sound like a fan was required.

It is mainly used by folks with charcoal grills like Weber, Big Green Egg, etc.

Some people do indeed mod their little MSE smokers with fans. This might be useful if you're still using the smoke tray. Those things (the tray) sucked when I tried to use them and stuck with smoke tubes.

But to be clear, fans in a charcoal grill directly control air flow and as such, the temperature. This wouldn't work the same in a MSE. which uses an electric element. It would create convective heat/air flow, which may be desirable.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 12, 2023

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Greetings friends! A couple of years ago, I got a vertical propane smoker from a local estate auction and I've used the absolute hell out of it. Enough so that the wood chip tray, just above the burner, has completely burnt through and is now crumbling apart rapidly. The smoker is still usable with jury-rigged solutions, but it's not a situation that will last much past this year. So I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive vertical smoker to replace it.

I've found three fairly cheap options from Amazon, so I'm curious if any of you have experience with them. Or if there's an even better one that I'm overlooking.

Dyna-Glo Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
Masterbuilt 30 inch Analog Electric Smoker
PIT BOSS 77435 Vertical Lp Gas Smoker

Also, just for sharing purposes, here's the birds I smoked back on Thanksgiving.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I have an Akorn Char-griller Kamodo. I was thinking about getting a Fireboard Drive + Blower, but not certain that the blower will work with my vents. Does anyone know if I can make that work? If not, any recommendations on a fan/blower that would work with the Akorn?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

DoubleNegative posted:

Greetings friends! A couple of years ago, I got a vertical propane smoker from a local estate auction and I've used the absolute hell out of it. Enough so that the wood chip tray, just above the burner, has completely burnt through and is now crumbling apart rapidly. The smoker is still usable with jury-rigged solutions, but it's not a situation that will last much past this year. So I'm in the market for a relatively inexpensive vertical smoker to replace it.

I've found three fairly cheap options from Amazon, so I'm curious if any of you have experience with them. Or if there's an even better one that I'm overlooking.

Dyna-Glo Wide Body Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker
Masterbuilt 30 inch Analog Electric Smoker
PIT BOSS 77435 Vertical Lp Gas Smoker

Also, just for sharing purposes, here's the birds I smoked back on Thanksgiving.

I have a MSE 30. I love it until i need to clean the grates after every cook. I also bought a smoke tube so i dont have to add chips to it every hour. If you want to smoke a whole brisket, you'll need angle a rack onto another to get it to fit. It works, but something to keep in mind. It has its downsides, but its very consistent and easy to use.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ZombieCrew posted:

I have a MSE 30. I love it until i need to clean the grates after every cook. I also bought a smoke tube so i dont have to add chips to it every hour. If you want to smoke a whole brisket, you'll need angle a rack onto another to get it to fit. It works, but something to keep in mind. It has its downsides, but its very consistent and easy to use.

Try some simple green cleaner on your grates next time

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Lawnie posted:

Try some simple green cleaner on your grates next time

Will do. I usually just soak them in water and dawn, but ill give that a shot.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Need some suggestions. I ordered what I thought was JUST a point from my local grocer. Turns out it's a pre 'brined cornbeef' point.

Am I correct that I'm not making pastrami this weekend vs burnt ends? If so do you have recommendations. Otherwise I think i just have to throw this bad boy on the smoker from what I'm reading.

Recommendations can also include sandwich ingredients to eat it with.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

sterster posted:

Need some suggestions. I ordered what I thought was JUST a point from my local grocer. Turns out it's a pre 'brined cornbeef' point.

Am I correct that I'm not making pastrami this weekend vs burnt ends? If so do you have recommendations. Otherwise I think i just have to throw this bad boy on the smoker from what I'm reading.

Recommendations can also include sandwich ingredients to eat it with.

Maybe the quotes are confusing me, but is it a "pre-brined" point or a pre-brined "point"? The first is a brisket, the second is pastrami in the making this weekend.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pri brined corned beef is brisket
???

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Yeah, the local market has a few butchers that take their (assuming unsold) briskets (of various sizes, flats and points) pack them with nitrite and spices in a brine and seal them up so people can have corned beef, or smoke them to make pastrami/smoked meat after a week or so.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

unknown posted:

Yeah, the local market has a few butchers that take their (assuming unsold) briskets (of various sizes, flats and points) pack them with nitrite and spices in a brine and seal them up so people can have corned beef, or smoke them to make pastrami/smoked meat after a week or so.

Basically the above. I thought it was going to be just a normal brisket point. It's already corned beef best I can tell. So 'pre brined' would only apply to IF it was going to become pastrami. Anyway, i was just making sure I was understanding that brisket -> cornedbeef + smoke = pastrami

Then was fishing for any additional recipes or recommendations anyone had for executing this process.

I really suck at grammar and english as a native speaker. Words are hard man :(

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

unknown posted:

Huh, I wouldn't call that pre brined because it's started the brining process, but I guess it's not finished so what else would you call it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Huh, I wouldn't call that pre brined because it's started the brining process, but I guess it's not finished so what else would you call it.

“Previously brined for your convenience” not “previous to the brining process”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
But then it's just brined and then it's cornbeef/pastrami