Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

grate deceiver posted:

One of these days I gotta reinstall Warframe and watch all the new insane cutscenes.

I continually go back and rewatch this video. I don’t even play warframe. https://youtu.be/mPTCq3LiZSE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pOtShOtWilly
Apr 29, 2007
Hailing from Surbiton Way...

Hwurmp posted:

Deep Rock Galactic, if space beers don't count as a drug

Great shout, first session was hilarious. Haven't a clue what we're doing, but working the basics out was enormous fun.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Saul Kain posted:

I continually go back and rewatch this video. I don’t even play warframe. https://youtu.be/mPTCq3LiZSE

yea it fuckin owns

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Saul Kain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlfAwBN3mbc :v:

pOtShOtWilly posted:

Great shout, first session was hilarious. Haven't a clue what we're doing, but working the basics out was enormous fun.

:toot:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
While playing the Digs demo after playing Dome Keeper I realise my favourite genre is other genres + digging. Any recommendations?
I have DRG and ONI obviously, I didn't enjoy Fallout Shelter or Sheltered or Mr Prepper, Dwarf Fortress is more pawns than I'm looking for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Splicer posted:

While playing the Digs demo after playing Dome Keeper I realise my favourite genre is other genres + digging. Any recommendations?
I have DRG and ONI obviously, I didn't enjoy Fallout Shelter or Sheltered or Mr Prepper, Dwarf Fortress is more pawns than I'm looking for.

SteamWorld Dig 2
Dig-N-Rig

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Rimworld on a mountain map

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Noita and Terraria have lots of digging too
Wall World isn't quite as good as Dome Keeper but still fun

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Splicer posted:

Out of Ore
Dungeon Keeper (I really with someone would make a new one, game owned)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Splicer posted:

Steamworld Dig, Shovel Knight Dig. Minecraft and 7 Days To Die. SimAnt.

On the more construction/strategy side of things, there's the upcoming SteamWorld Build, Evil Genius, and Rock Raiders. If you think what you really like is the side-on verticality, maybe you'd go for Simtower or Project Highrise, although obviously they're mainly focused in going the other way.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Splicer posted:

I assume DRG is Deep Rock Galactic, but what's ONI?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

thekeeshman posted:

Out of Ore

War for the Overworld doesn't have the official branding, but it's pretty much a modernised DK2.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Pierzak posted:

I assume DRG is Deep Rock Galactic, but what's ONI?

Oxygen Not Included

Also "Dwarf Fortress is too many pawns" is an odd criticism, you can easily set a maximum population cap in the raws and play a microfort if that's your style. But DF is the kind of game that you either fall in love with or you don't.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Are there any mods that make RimWorld work on more than one z level?

Preemptive: Already have dwarf fortress.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oxygen Not Included
Thanks.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I'd like some suggestions for a console (J)RPG I could grind away semi-mindlessly while watching TV or listening to podcasts. I'd be playing it on an Analogue Pocket so something for GB/GBC would work best, but basically any 2D console is okay (handheld or otherwise). I don't mind if it's challenging or a bit abstruse in the ways old console RPGs can be, as long as I can check a guide for what to do if I get stuck or lost. Good turn-based combat would be the most important feature. Story is less important, a compelling world is a plus of course but nothing too dialogue-heavy.

I've been playing a bit of Final Fantasy Legend lately and that would otherwise be pretty much on the money, except the leveling system is a bit hard to figure out and seems to require more attention than I'm prepared to give it in this case. I don't mind having to think about what I'm doing within a single instance of combat, but outside that the overall progression should more or less take care of itself - basically I want to press A a bunch and see numbers go up, but I don't want to have to think too much about which numbers I'm getting up and how. Pokémon might be another good comparison point, but there I'm only really into Gen 1 and 2 and I've played those to death already. The GBA version of Final Fantasy 1 and the Sega AGES version of Phantasy Star are two other recent playthroughs I enjoyed and that are kind of in the right area. Finding something a bit more obscure would be fun.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

thekeeshman posted:

Out of Ore

There's a neat game called KeeperRL that is a Traditional Roguelike Dungeon Keeper:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/329970/KeeperRL/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/2036723/movie480.webm?t=1447367897

(Pretty sure this trailer is like 8 years old at this point)

It's a full-on Dungeon Keeper clone except you exist as a physical location in a fantasy world and there's some world map exploration/diplomacy stuff, and when you possess your minions in combat you enter into turn-based roguelike battles. Pretty much a combination of Dwarf Fortress and Dungeon Keeper that meets somewhere in the middle.

I haven't played it in several years but it was good back then and still receives regular updates, I've heard it's even better now.

e: I got more hooked on this than I did on War for the Overworld or the Dungeons games or any of the other recent DK-esque games.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 13, 2023

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Forktoss posted:

I'd like some suggestions for a console (J)RPG I could grind away semi-mindlessly while watching TV or listening to podcasts. I'd be playing it on an Analogue Pocket so something for GB/GBC would work best, but basically any 2D console is okay (handheld or otherwise). I don't mind if it's challenging or a bit abstruse in the ways old console RPGs can be, as long as I can check a guide for what to do if I get stuck or lost. Good turn-based combat would be the most important feature. Story is less important, a compelling world is a plus of course but nothing too dialogue-heavy.

I've been playing a bit of Final Fantasy Legend lately and that would otherwise be pretty much on the money, except the leveling system is a bit hard to figure out and seems to require more attention than I'm prepared to give it in this case. I don't mind having to think about what I'm doing within a single instance of combat, but outside that the overall progression should more or less take care of itself - basically I want to press A a bunch and see numbers go up, but I don't want to have to think too much about which numbers I'm getting up and how. Pokémon might be another good comparison point, but there I'm only really into Gen 1 and 2 and I've played those to death already. The GBA version of Final Fantasy 1 and the Sega AGES version of Phantasy Star are two other recent playthroughs I enjoyed and that are kind of in the right area. Finding something a bit more obscure would be fun.

You could check out the first Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game, it's on the GBA.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Forktoss posted:

7th Saga on the SNES. Famous for it's punishing difficulty (read: grind), cool ideas.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Forktoss posted:

If you played Gen 1 and 2 to death, maybe Earthbound and Mother 3 would fit the bill.

And if we are talking fun GBA rpg's, Medabots was the only game that seriously competed with my attention for pokemon as a kid. Golden Sun 1 and 2 are slow, grindy and perfect background games.

There's also the GBC remake of Dragon Quest 1 and 2, which is my favorite version of those games. Dragon Quest Monsters is another series you might want to look into.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Know any good platformers? Kidding. I'd like a game that's like Smash DS's timed run-and-grab mode, but not as manic and sloppy. A platformer via platformer fighters, with controls that feel tight and intuitive. Roof rage is close to the vibe I want but it's only boss battles.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

Know any good platformers? Kidding. I'd like a game that's like Smash DS's timed run-and-grab mode, but not as manic and sloppy. A platformer via platformer fighters, with controls that feel tight and intuitive. Roof rage is close to the vibe I want but it's only boss battles.

Guacamelee, maybe

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Guacamelee, maybe

As good as it is I'm looking for stuff that's more recent and directly takes inspiration from Smash. I'd play a fighter too but the ripoffs weren't good last time I checked. The impact animations and sound effects made for a muddy experience in the WB one and the other one wasn't good. Special attacks with the right stick are one of the foundational elements of the smash-style scheme for me.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone know a game where the crafting system is both complicated and integral to the core gameplay loop, that isn't Factorio, Satisfactory, or Minecraft? Those are all great but not quite what I want. Honestly, I want something with as much depth as Legend of Mana's crazy rear end crafting system with proper documentation and a reason to actually use it more than shallowly.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Galick posted:

Anyone know a game where the crafting system is both complicated and integral to the core gameplay loop, that isn't Factorio, Satisfactory, or Minecraft? Those are all great but not quite what I want. Honestly, I want something with as much depth as Legend of Mana's crazy rear end crafting system with proper documentation and a reason to actually use it more than shallowly.

Dragon Age Inquisition has pretty complex crafting with lots of options, and is pretty important if you want to stay appropriately geared (which is very important in higher difficulties).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Galick posted:

Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin
maybe an Atelier game

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Galick posted:

The Rune Factory series is what you want for that. Both 4 and 5 are available on PC and Switch. A remake of 3 is coming later this year. They're also farming sim games, kind of like Stardew Valley but with much more emphasis on the RPG aspects. The crafting system is ridiculously deep and complex and ties in with everything you do. If you can tolerate the critical levels of anime, they're exactly what you're looking for.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Terraria?

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Yeah, I'd also recommend Terraria. There's a ton of crafting, and one of the ways progression happens is finding new crafting stations to build new things with.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
For a pretty different angle you could also try Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. It's a turn based roguelike about surviving in the zombie apocalypse with a million different things to craft. You can build your own customized prepper deathmobile and go on roadtrips to other cities to raid their libraries looking for books on how to forge a katana or build an atomic-powered coffee maker

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eric the Mauve posted:

Oxygen Not Included

Also "Dwarf Fortress is too many pawns" is an odd criticism, you can easily set a maximum population cap in the raws and play a microfort if that's your style. But DF is the kind of game that you either fall in love with or you don't.
More it's too pawn focussed for what I'm looking for, same for rimworld. So is ONI really.

a bunch of people posted:

a bunch good games
Those are all good suggestions and I own many of them! A new Dungeon Keeper (4x... but with digging) would be perfect but I bounced off Overworld. I'm having a hard time expressing what I'm looking for.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Galick posted:

dark cloud 2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm kind of feeling like playing some side-scrolling beat'em'up/hack'n'slash with good combat but I can't find anything with good combat that I haven't already played to death. Everything else I'm finding is either too slow, because it's trying too hard to copy Soulslikes, or it has no weight and all the attacks feel like you're slapping enemies with a rolled up newspaper.

I played the gently caress out of Streets of Rage 4 and Dead Cells already.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Maybe the Guacamelee games if you haven't played them already?

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
There's a few games I'm looking forward to coming out right about now, (and tears of the kingdom is sold out by me or that'd be it for now,) but what sci fi explorer games are out there? I'm looking for something where you've got a ship and that's sort of your base of operations and you're either alone or have a crew and the universe just sort of generates around you as you go. Ship/crew customisation and leveling is a must. Mile wide and puddle deep is ok.

I've played the living hell out of:
FTL
Holy Potatoes, we're in space
X4
Elite dangerous
Objects in space
Starbound
Empyrion: Galactic Survival
No man's sky
Halcyon 6

I also tried that bugfest known as star citizen on a free weekend and yikes that one needs either even more time in the oven or a higher heat to cook it.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 20, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Both feature a static universe generated at the start of the game so they might not be what you're looking for exploration-wise, but Star Traders: Frontiers and Starsector are IMO the two best "manage a spaceship fleet/crew and level them up" games there are.

Star Traders is a very open-ended sandbox space RPG where most of the action is some degree of abstracted, but it entirely revolves around a bunch of crunchy leveling and character development. Starsector has you controlling a growing fleet of ships (from a shockingly large variety that all feel unique and fun) and officers while interacting with galactic politics and establishing a homeworld and has really phenomenal combat, though it's mostly focused around the combat. Both have highly active mod scenes.

(Both of these trailers are pretty much ancient compared to the current version of each game)

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256723725/movie480.webm?t=1532623317
https://store.steampowered.com/app/335620/Star_Traders_Frontiers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAvo3S0MD-o&t=1s
https://fractalsoftworks.com/

(Here's the thread for Starsector if you want to read a full decade of glowing positive reviews: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570400 )

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 20, 2023

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

chainchompz posted:

There's a few games I'm looking forward to coming out right about now, (and tears of the kingdom is sold out by me or that'd be it for now,) but what sci fi explorer games are out there? I'm looking for something where you've got a ship and that's sort of your base of operations and you're either alone or have a crew and the universe just sort of generates around you as you go. Ship/crew customisation and leveling is a must. Mile wide and puddle deep is ok.

I've played the living hell out of:
FTL
Holy Potatoes, we're in space
X4
Elite dangerous
Objects in space
Starbound
Empyrion: Galactic Survival
No man's sky
Halcyon 6

I also tried that bugfest known as star citizen on a free weekend and yikes that one needs either even more time in the oven or a higher heat to cook it.

Starsector or Star Traders Frontiers are my recs.

Efb

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm here to third both Starsector and Star Traders Frontiers, though the second one is probably more what you're after.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

chainchompz posted:

• Sunshine Heavy Industries is nuthin' but ship customization (you design the ships for your customers, you don't really get to fly 'em around yourself). Cute characters and story.
  • Rebel Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy Outlaw are all about the space truckin' experience, buy new ships and outfit them, go fightin' 'round the galaxy or make deliveries. The first game is technically 2D since you're piloting a big slower capital ship, in Outlaw you pilot a smaller fighter craft for more classic space flying. They've got a heavy vibe from their music that I think gets the space trucker thing across even more.
  • Space Crew. Kind of a 3D, more complicated version of FTL. Choosing what weapons to use is more complicated, since you need to be aware of individual weapons' field of fire as well.
  • Star Control. The original Star Control 2 is available for free as Ur-Quan Masters, and while it is kinda janky to learn nowadays, it's a pretty legendary game with a fantastic galaxy to explore. You command a flagship that you get to upgrade and stock up with fightercraft. By most reports, the more recent Star Control Origins falls short of the scale and fun of the original, but still is pretty good and carries the spirit of the original. There's even the largely panned sequel Star Control III if you wanna dig in deep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Nthing Star Traders. I should really get around to Starsector at some point and see what the fuss is about.

Rebel Galaxy outlaw is the superior of the two imo, if only because the first is confined to two planes and not being able to go up or down in a 3d space game just feels weird.