Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
That’s where I’m stuck, I feel like I run speed test and it’s saying I should be fine, when in reality I can’t load a drat webpage. I figured signal strength might be more useful, but maybe I’m wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I’ll just shake my fist at you and your working Ubiquiti APs.

Any recommendations for a good iPhone tool? I specifically need signal strength and it seems largely lacking.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ubiquiti-wifiman/id1385561119

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Ironically I already have it, I never could get it to connect and use the strength tool, maybe it wants me to buy more of their hardware?

I am sitting here at my desk getting this:

While my phone and laptop a foot away time out on the simplest things. It’s maddening.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

wifiman on android is really nice and scans all of it, i tried to have someone with ios try it and it apparently just isn't th same?

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

iOS' security restrictions mean it's functionally impossible to write an app that does what the android ones do.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Muir posted:

I'm looking for a product recommendation for a doorbell camera. My in laws live in a house at the back of our property, accessed by going down our driveway which has a gate. I'd like to have one doorbell camera with intercom for people who come up to the gate (especially since a lot of people can't figure out how to open the gate), and a second doorbell camera with intercom on their actual house door. The Eufy doorbell is highly recommended, but it looks like the doorbell unit doesn't use the Wi-Fi directly and so it has to be pretty close to the base station, and the driveway gate is maybe 100 ft from the in-law house. I could have two base stations, one inside my house near the driveway gate, and one in the in-law house, but I wondered if anyone had a more elegant solution. There is a Wi-Fi network covering the whole property, via Ubiquiti APs on a hard wired backbone.

if you’re already in on ubiquiti for the backend just go with ubiquiti cameras

they have specific doorbell cameras as well as standard wifi cameras with 2 way voice

no monthly subscription either

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Been waiting 6 months for the g4 pro doorbell to come in stock. Probably die before it happens.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

power crystals posted:

iOS' security restrictions mean it's functionally impossible to write an app that does what the android ones do.

Yeah I figured it was something like that, there's usually some discrepancy between the ios/android versions of ubnt stuff but that one was amazing

also since I'm talking about ubnt apps I'm gonna take this moment to complain about uisp's response to there being a bad cable that won't negotiate for anything being to simply stop showing anything about the ethernet interface on the dashboard entirely instead of displaying a status indicating the problem

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

withoutclass posted:

Been waiting 6 months for the g4 pro doorbell to come in stock. Probably die before it happens.

What do you mean?? There's new stock added every day! At 4 in the morning....and it sells out in about 3 seconds...

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

e.pilot posted:

if you’re already in on ubiquiti for the backend just go with ubiquiti cameras

they have specific doorbell cameras as well as standard wifi cameras with 2 way voice

no monthly subscription either

Ah good call, I forgot they make their own. Now to see about stock issues.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
OK, it's late and I am tired and have been staring at it too long. How do I get my unifi crap to allow VPN clients to access resources in the local network? LAN is 192.168.1.1, VPN is 192.168.2.1, cant' just allocate a chunk of the LAN range. Can't find anywhere in the current setup to put in a static route to just send traffic over to the LAN. Setting "Send All Traffic" makes no difference. I do get internet traffic from the client to pipe through, but nothing to the LAN...

Please tell me the obvious thing I am missing?

edit: nm, it kinda works. I just can't access one Windows box, not sure what that's about...
edit edit: can port 445 even be routed between subnets??

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 6, 2023

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Okay, I’m gonna need to redo my home network from scratch, as I’m moving into a new spot sometime this summer and losing the various wifi etc. gear in the split.

That said, moving from big house to small 2-bedroom apartment, so probably won’t need fancy mesh.

What’s the go to recommendation for a solid prosumer friendly router/AP these days? It’s been literally like 7 years since I shopped any sort of home networking gear. Eventually I’d probably like to be running some home lab gimmickry behind it, so I want something robust enough for that, but also cheap enough that I won’t feel bad if I decide to just ditch it for a pf sense box or something eventually either.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
TP-Link Omada (er-605 router, sg1005p switch, eap610 AP)
Ubiquiti ER-X router, Unifi U6-lite AP.

There’s other options out there, and some I even prefer more, but there’s no reason to go with anything else for a home network imo.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Moving to a house (~1300 sqft with a basement) from a studio apartment shortly and will likely need to get better wifi access.

What is the thread’s current recommendation for the following:

Scenario 1: I might have Ethernet runs to every room in the house. I’m not quite sure, but could theoretically connect a few APs that way or, if not

Scenario 2: I would want a basic mesh network. I’ve used Apple Time Capsules and Google Wi-Fi’s in the past but I think Apple stuff is pretty long in the tooth and would prefer to stay out of the Google ecosystem if possible.

Thanks so much!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If you have ethernet don't even bother with Mesh.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Always run ethernet if you can.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Oh for sure!

So what’s the recommended hardware for each scenario?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It appears that my AC1750 may have bit the dust. The internet went out this morning so I did the usual modem and router power cycle dance, but upon being plugged in all the lights on the router light up briefly then go out. It doesn't enter the usual boot up sequence, even trying another power adapter and pressing the power button a bunch.

So, what's the new hotness in basic home routers? I just need wifi for the house and a few wired ports.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Does the thing not have a factory reset pinhole thing

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Does the thing not have a factory reset pinhole thing

It does, but I can't coax any more life out it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

dexter6 posted:

Moving to a house (~1300 sqft with a basement) from a studio apartment shortly and will likely need to get better wifi access.

What is the thread’s current recommendation for the following:

Scenario 1: I might have Ethernet runs to every room in the house. I’m not quite sure, but could theoretically connect a few APs that way or, if not

Scenario 2: I would want a basic mesh network. I’ve used Apple Time Capsules and Google Wi-Fi’s in the past but I think Apple stuff is pretty long in the tooth and would prefer to stay out of the Google ecosystem if possible.

Thanks so much!

dexter6 posted:

Oh for sure!

So what’s the recommended hardware for each scenario?

When I bought my house, my plan was to run ethernet to every room in the house. I work in IT, how could I live with myself if I didn't?

I ran one line for my wireless access point. It was such a pain in the rear end, that I basically said gently caress it, wifi is good enough for most things. Just to see, I asked the vendor we use at work if he would run cable in my house. He told me he'd do it just for me, but he always turns that residential runs because they're such a pain.

Anyway, have fun! I've resorted to using powerline ethernet adapters for my desktop and consoles. Bleh.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Agrikk posted:

I think I have a blog post about it somewhere. Let me see if I can dig it up.

I would appreciate this if you do find it

Also quick question: does anyone have an opinion on what the best, ie: the most stable release of firmware for the UDM-PRO is?

I haven’t upgraded in a year or two since the fan stopped working. I plan to put in the new fan and upgrade this weekend

I’m currently running 1.8.4 firmware and UniFi software version 6.0.43

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

latest release seems the most stable in a while tbh

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Old news now, but sentencing was handed down.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/05/ex-ubiquiti-engineer-behind-breathtaking-data-theft-gets-6-year-prison-term/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
v3.0.20 finally made it to the stable channel for my UDM Pro! Looking forward to ditching UID VPN and using Wireguard. The UID solution worked well enough but it seemed like such overkill when all I wanted was VPN. Teleport was available but there's no Windows client for it, so it didn't seem as user friendly. Wireguard seems simple enough though!

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Is there any reason not to make my home network 10.0.0.0/8?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

VostokProgram posted:

I’d do a /24

Only issues I ever ran into with 10.0.0.0/24 is occasionally I’d find myself on wifi somewhere that was also 10.0.0.x and it made doing VPN stuff impossible.

So I changed it to 10.6.9.0/24 because I am a child.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Yes. Have a /24 for your wired, mostly trusted stuff. Another /24 for WiFi poo poo that you control, and a /24 for untrusted poo poo like iot and guest devices.

Trauts
May 1, 2010
Okay so I'm looking for a cheap 802.11n router that can be flashed with openwrt. Only have access to a ~10mbps up and down so I dont need much in speed, but I do want the functionality that openwrt gives. Looking to do some home lab stuff. Suggestions?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Trauts posted:

Okay so I'm looking for a cheap 802.11n router that can be flashed with openwrt. Only have access to a ~10mbps up and down so I dont need much in speed, but I do want the functionality that openwrt gives. Looking to do some home lab stuff. Suggestions?

tp-link Archer A7 refurb for $35:
https://a.co/d/4RcqI2Y

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

VostokProgram posted:

Definitely do not make your home network, or any individual network, 10.0.0.0/8. You technically can and it usually won't cause any problems on a network that doesn't need to reach other private networks, but there's no benefit and generally no good reason to use an IPv4 subnet larger than /24

As noted if you need to either VPN to other private networks networks or VPN to your home from other networks there is a greater chance for collisions that cause problems if you use any of the common ones but which one(s) you pick beyond that are up to you.

e.pilot posted:

So I changed it to 10.6.9.0/24 because I am a child.
10.69.42.0/24 here for the same reason.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

When I bought my house, my plan was to run ethernet to every room in the house. I work in IT, how could I live with myself if I didn't?

I ran one line for my wireless access point. It was such a pain in the rear end, that I basically said gently caress it, wifi is good enough for most things. Just to see, I asked the vendor we use at work if he would run cable in my house. He told me he'd do it just for me, but he always turns that residential runs because they're such a pain.

Anyway, have fun! I've resorted to using powerline ethernet adapters for my desktop and consoles. Bleh.

Weird. I got my house (~1300sqft, 1 floor) wired with Cat6 in 2017 by a company that seemed to specialize in residential and light-commercial audio and data wiring. Cost me right at $900 (2/3 labor and 1/3 materials) and took only half a day to do 5 pairs from a central closet to 5 different locations around the house. Do you have a large house or were you planning a lot of runs?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I pulled 1000ft of cat6 in a split level last year, absolutely awful.

Ended up doing an outdoor run of conduit to get it from the main server rack in the basement to the attic to break it out to the rest of the house.

Also did some through the garage.

I managed to make it pretty clean considering it’s a 50 year old house but lord was it a pain.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

e.pilot posted:

I pulled 1000ft of cat6 in a split level last year, absolutely awful.

Ended up doing an outdoor run of conduit to get it from the main server rack in the basement to the attic to break it out to the rest of the house.

Also did some through the garage.

I managed to make it pretty clean considering it’s a 50 year old house but lord was it a pain.

Ouch, not saying it’s bad or anything, but do you now have conduit crawling up the side of your house? Or did I misunderstand

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Are you guys redoing sheetrock when you do these runs?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

namlosh posted:

Ouch, not saying it’s bad or anything, but do you now have conduit crawling up the side of your house? Or did I misunderstand

yeah there’s like a 15ft section of conduit, it’s on the side of the house where nobody goes so unless you happen to be over there for some reason

fletcher posted:

I cut exactly 2 6x9” access panels for the whole house to pull the cable, one at the bottom of the linen closet where the switch lives now, and one in the garage, the garage who cares and the linen closet you have to move a big stack of towels to even know it’s there

I made extensive use of fish tape

e:
photos

basement:

linen closet:

also have a server that lives out in the shed I use for mostly for backups as a bit of a faux offsite

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 14, 2023

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

fletcher posted:

I got lucky and had every room have coax runs that went up to my attic so I just pulled all the cables using the coax line as a fish. Way easier than redoing any part of the walls but obviously very much depends on the house in question.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I think this is the right place to ask for help with WiFi repeaters: I'm not a very technical guy, so I mostly just want to make sure I'm not buying something that is crap. I have a house where the fiber internet comes in from the street in the basement of the east side. Then I have a wireless router hooked up to it. But I'm getting bad enough signal that teams meetings get interrupted on the first floor in the west room and coverage is really bad in the garden to the west. It's not a huge garden, like 500m² and I'm okay with not reaching the very end of it.
What I'm thinking is getting a wireless WiFi repeater on the ground floor in the west room. Does that make sense, and which specific/kind/brand should I get?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

I think this is the right place to ask for help with WiFi repeaters: I'm not a very technical guy, so I mostly just want to make sure I'm not buying something that is crap. I have a house where the fiber internet comes in from the street in the basement of the east side. Then I have a wireless router hooked up to it. But I'm getting bad enough signal that teams meetings get interrupted on the first floor in the west room and coverage is really bad in the garden to the west. It's not a huge garden, like 500m² and I'm okay with not reaching the very end of it.
What I'm thinking is getting a wireless WiFi repeater on the ground floor in the west room. Does that make sense, and which specific/kind/brand should I get?

May I ask how many floors you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

May I ask how many floors you have?

Basement, ground, first, 3 total. 80m² house outline/footprint.