Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

little shop of ASUS horrors

Even on the latest BIOS for my ASUS TUF B650 I'm still getting random hard lockups every 48-96 hours. The only thing I haven't tried is a flatten and reinstall, and only because I'm pretty sure if it didn't solve the problem I'd find out because it'd crash before I finished reinstalling everything I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

Even on the latest BIOS for my ASUS TUF B650 I'm still getting random hard lockups every 48-96 hours. The only thing I haven't tried is a flatten and reinstall, and only because I'm pretty sure if it didn't solve the problem I'd find out because it'd crash before I finished reinstalling everything I need.
I'm not entirely sure we can blame Asus, though I think the crashes started after installing the Realtek drivers through Amoury Crate.

The error that prevented me from logging into Windows or even booting into safe mode seems to come after installing/uninstalled Ryzen Master, which obviously has some interaction with the motherboard but ultimately may have been an AMD issue.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You did so much poo poo at once that it's hard to pin down how it went wrong. Beyond Asus bad, that is.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
This is gonna end with Asus pulling an EVGA but with AMD stuff isn't it.
I don't know why everyone keeps singling them out. Was there any vendor not affected?
Trying to keep up with AMDs flurry of half baked AGESAs would make me not give much of a gently caress either tbh.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
what a drat mess

https://twitter.com/GamersNexus/status/1656948094553018368

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey yall I am having a weird problem in Wow with my 7800X3D chip where the overall performance seems very low.

This is the cpu pattern in Task Manager, is this right? I run a 7800X3D/4090, and the performance overlay has the cpu and gpu pinned at 20-28% usage.

is Wow just coded like poo poo or do I have a problem?

I also have an ASUS board if that matters at all, it's updated on the firmware, but I keep hearing the ASUS board suck.

e: everything feels horrible in game. I went from capped fps 90% the time at 4K 120 to pushing half that even in dungeons. Also weirdly the performance overlay doesn't show the FPS or 99% fps anymore for some reason and just says N/A. Something is real hosed.

Taima fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 12, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Josh Lyman posted:

I also moved my left monitor to the onboard video (my right monitor was already there) so as to leave only my middle monitor on my 1070 to lighten its load ahead of D4's final open beta this weekend

Unrelated to the trouble you had, but this is 100% pointless. The "load" of some static 2d windows is effectively zero. Even watching a video is pretty trivial, though enough additional work that it can have a measurable change. (And that may be from general system load rather than GPU load -- the decode hardware for video is different from what the game uses.)

TBQH if anything I can imagine performance being worse when using the integrated GPU -- it's using main memory so that's a drain on system memory bandwidth. Or the overhead from running both AMD and nvidia drivers at the same time. Personally if I had a ryzen 7000 and a nvidia GPU I'd disable the integrated video.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Taima posted:

Hey yall I am having a weird problem in Wow with my 7800X3D chip where the overall performance seems very low.

This is the cpu pattern in Task Manager, is this right? I run a 7800X3D/4090, and the performance overlay has the cpu and gpu pinned at 20-28% usage.

I also have an ASUS board if that matters at all, it's updated on the firmware, but I keep hearing the ASUS board suck.

e: everything feels horrible in game. I went from capped fps 90% the time at 4K 120 to pushing half that even in dungeons. Also weirdly the performance overlay doesn't show the FPS or 99% fps anymore for some reason and just says N/A. Something is real hosed.

You have the literal best gaming PC, so that is totally hosed. I have no idea, but I hope you figure it out.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Taima posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but is it your power supply? Are you feeding it enough juice?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Taima posted:

WoW loves x3d and isn't so picky about GPUs. Going with a problem.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That was my take too- initially the X3D loving slayed Wow. Man. This sucks.

Sneeze Party posted:

This is a shot in the dark, but is it your power supply? Are you feeding it enough juice?

Hmm, well, maybe I guess? This is my power supply, I suppose it's a bit on the older side now vs my other stuff:
https://www.newegg.com/antec-signature-1000-titanium-st1000-1000w/p/N82E16817371133?Item=N82E16817371133

It's years older than my other parts but I don't really see how this could be insufficient, I'm no expert though whatsoever hence why I'm coming to yall for help :)

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 12, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
An insufficient PSU doesn't cause performance loss or wonkyness. It causes the PC to shut off (if it's a good PSU with proper protections), crash (a bad PSU), or explodes (gigabyte PSU).

edit: I would look at cleaning (DDU) and reinstalling video drivers, and check various OS stuff before hardware

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 12, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If you have multiple monitors try with just 1. I wouldn't expect this kind of problem, but Windows sometimes flips out about monitors.

If that doesn't work I'd try a GPU DDU and get clean drivers.

Do other benchmarks look fine?

Adambomb0
Jan 10, 2007

Taima posted:

That was my take too- initially the X3D loving slayed Wow. Man. This sucks.

Hmm, well, maybe I guess? This is my power supply, I suppose it's a bit on the older side now vs my other stuff:
https://www.newegg.com/antec-signature-1000-titanium-st1000-1000w/p/N82E16817371133?Item=N82E16817371133

It's years older than my other parts but I don't really see how this could be insufficient, I'm no expert though whatsoever hence why I'm coming to yall for help :)

When I first installed my 5800x3d it wasn't boosting at all after running some benchmarks with Hardware info open. I updated some bios stuff and then messed around with some settings in there and ended up getting it to work.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Is the game using the igpu instead of the 4090

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I tried to update my ASRock PG Riptide to the new AGESA. It went very poorly.

-It didn't apply the EXPO profile to my RAM - when I selected the profile, I would restart and it would be running at 3600 instead of 6000. Timings were correct, speed was not.
-I tried to force the issue by setting the speed manually.
-RIP. No post.
-A lot of faffing about while I cleared the CMOS and forgot that one of my USB allows for flashback and another one doesn't, even though they're both formatted properly. Decide to roll back to 1.18, which is when memory OC definitely worked.
-Something goes wrong with my RTX 3080. Fans spin, but it doesn't light up and it doesn't output. I take it out and use a 1050ti spare I have lying around. Works fine (with a little weird delay). Put 3080 back in. Works.
-LAN is gone. I have no idea what could have happened here. Ethernet LED doesn't light. Wireless works fine. Windows straight up doesn't see the adapter. Device Manager says, "What ethernet adapter?" I'm pretty sure it's on in BIOS. I attempt to reinstall drivers. No dice. Wifi works fine.

I have a pcie add-in card on the way in case I blew the LAN port somehow. I told my wife I was going to give up on computer touching and take up sheep-herding in Scotland, until she reminded me that it would just be more poop to clean up.

Gyrotica fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 12, 2023

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Klyith posted:

Unrelated to the trouble you had, but this is 100% pointless. The "load" of some static 2d windows is effectively zero. Even watching a video is pretty trivial, though enough additional work that it can have a measurable change. (And that may be from general system load rather than GPU load -- the decode hardware for video is different from what the game uses.)

TBQH if anything I can imagine performance being worse when using the integrated GPU -- it's using main memory so that's a drain on system memory bandwidth. Or the overhead from running both AMD and nvidia drivers at the same time. Personally if I had a ryzen 7000 and a nvidia GPU I'd disable the integrated video.
When I'm gaming (middle monitor), I almost always have a fullscreen Youtube video on my left monitor and browser/discord/etc on my right monitor. You're right that the hardware load is probably trivial, but I figured it might help from a VRR perspective (my 4070 :smith: arrived yesterday).

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Thanks for the tips guys I'll check it out.

I think DDU might indeed be the move- I just realized something- my Nvidia overlay numbers are just totally loving wrong.

Wow tracks its own FPS and I'm getting more like 90 fps (still arguably low but Nvidia is reporting like 27 fps). Something is wonky af.

Will DDU the drivers this weekend and see if that helps any.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

7800X3D already $30 off at microcenter, with $20 motherboard credit. Think AMD's sales are probably real painful at the moment.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

7800X3D already $30 off at microcenter, with $20 motherboard credit. Think AMD's sales are probably real painful at the moment.

please pop off if you see the discounts get real serious or anything, I'm not opposed to jumping the gun on my "waiting until 2nd gen" if AMD wants to cut their own throat. like if the memory bundle gets extended or whatever that'd be sick

anyone besides asus got thunderbolt motherboards, ideally thunderbolt+10gbe? I'm sure asus will be fine eventually but right now there aren't a lot of alternatives to the ProCreate X670E

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 13, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

same, im ready to be convinced to make a stupid purchase by a price war if it comes to that!!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Paul MaudDib posted:

anyone besides asus got thunderbolt motherboards, ideally thunderbolt+10gbe? I'm sure asus will be fine eventually but right now there aren't a lot of alternatives to the ProCreate X670E

X670E AORUS XTREME has 10gbe and a TB header at least but is in the stupid tier of pricing. I think thats the only other one that comes close at the moment.

(post shoulda been an edit gently caress)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cygni posted:

They're gonna need to fight on price-to-performance if you're supposed to run it on stock settings :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I had a really frustrating 24 hour period yesterday.
So after this debacle that may or may not have involved Amoury Crate, I tried OpenRGB + HardwareSync to control the RGB fans on my CPU HSF (I use it to tell CPU temp). It's a bit of work to get it set up but it works flawlessly, 5/5 would recommend, especially since it means I don't have to deal with any Asus software now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah one of the key pieces of advice for life happiness I can offer is: do not install any of your motherboard manufacturers software under any circumstances.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Yeah one of the key pieces of advice for life happiness I can offer is: do not install any of your motherboard manufacturers software under any circumstances.

clean install krew with my no Windows Binary Platform privilege

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cygni posted:

i don't know a lot about like how actual audio devices work (speakers, not the internal devices in an operating system), but when I built this system I got a real nice pair of recommended pc speakers (M-Audio AV32s) and they were obviously WAY overkill for my usual volume and stuff. The Asus Sonic Studio software recognized the extra good impedance value or whatever and adjusted the Windows/integrated sound settings to match, so that was one thing (the exception that proves the rule) that the motherboard manufacturer's software was good for.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Arivia posted:

i don't know a lot about like how actual audio devices work (speakers, not the internal devices in an operating system), but when I built this system I got a real nice pair of recommended pc speakers (M-Audio AV32s) and they were obviously WAY overkill for my usual volume and stuff. The Asus Sonic Studio software recognized the extra good impedance value or whatever and adjusted the Windows/integrated sound settings to match, so that was one thing (the exception that proves the rule) that the motherboard manufacturer's software was good for.
Alternatively, I’ve reformatted windows to get rid of Sonic Studio. It crashes when you try to go to advanced mode and my speakers produce a faint pop when my computer comes out of sleep. I wish I didn’t have to, but uninstalling the Sonic software from Apps and Features didn’t remove everything and didn’t fix the pop from sleep. :(

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 13, 2023

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Cygni posted:

Yeah unfortunately I'm not touching that poo poo with a bargepole until all the *gesticulates broadly* issues are sorted out
Might just plop a 5800X3D in and call it a day

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wait am I not supposed to have PBO on my 7800x3d either?

Good news is I hit DDU and I think things are largely fixed, I guess. Maybe.

I'm wondering how much was in my head because it turned out that Nvidia overlay was completely wrong. And I just tried Returnal post DDU and it was running pegged 4K/120 (which is normal) so I guess crisis averted.

:shrug:

Paul MaudDib posted:

oh HEH HEH this guy doesn't understand the difference between PBO and PBO2

well you see :words:

Ah man is that the "advanced" version I saw in the bios? that poo poo looks complicated

Taima fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 13, 2023

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Taima posted:

Good news is I hit DDU and I think things are largely fixed, I guess. Maybe.

oh HEH HEH this guy doesn't understand the difference between PBO and PBO2

well you see :words:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

This is now even harder! Mobos can optionally add installers for that stuff into the UEFI. So you clean install windows with the ethernet cord out, and still have lovely software on your PC on the first boot.

(There is likely a bios setting to not do that if your board comes with this "feature".)

Taima posted:

If that's a genuine question, the answer is you can turn PBO on but likely will gain absolutely nothing.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

I tried to update my ASRock PG Riptide to the new AGESA. It went very poorly.

-It didn't apply the EXPO profile to my RAM - when I selected the profile, I would restart and it would be running at 3600 instead of 6000. Timings were correct, speed was not.
-I tried to force the issue by setting the speed manually.
-RIP. No post.
-A lot of faffing about while I cleared the CMOS and forgot that one of my USB allows for flashback and another one doesn't, even though they're both formatted properly. Decide to roll back to 1.18, which is when memory OC definitely worked.
-Something goes wrong with my RTX 3080. Fans spin, but it doesn't light up and it doesn't output. I take it out and use a 1050ti spare I have lying around. Works fine (with a little weird delay). Put 3080 back in. Works.
-LAN is gone. I have no idea what could have happened here. Ethernet LED doesn't light. Wireless works fine. Windows straight up doesn't see the adapter. Device Manager says, "What ethernet adapter?" I'm pretty sure it's on in BIOS. I attempt to reinstall drivers. No dice. Wifi works fine.

I have a pcie add-in card on the way in case I blew the LAN port somehow. I told my wife I was going to give up on computer touching and take up sheep-herding in Scotland, until she reminded me that it would just be more poop to clean up.
I got an AsRock X670E PG Lightning running UEFI v1.24.AS02 with AGESA ComboAM5 1.0.0.7 Patch A.

Enabling EXPO did all the right things, and it's been working pretty solidly.
The only problem I ran into was that with the iGPU and dGPU both enabled, the dGPUs outputs shouldn't be used because that causes lagging in Windows - yet if I use the iGPUs outputs on the motherboard, everything works fine, and games render just fine on the dGPU (this can apparently also be forced in Windows, but at the moment I'm playing X4 which lets me set it regardless).

Paul MaudDib posted:

please pop off if you see the discounts get real serious or anything, I'm not opposed to jumping the gun on my "waiting until 2nd gen" if AMD wants to cut their own throat. like if the memory bundle gets extended or whatever that'd be sick

All of the vendors should have a TB header and be willing to sell you a daughterboard that can act as an injector.

Cygni posted:

All of them, I think, will offer to install something called an App Shop - it's annoying as hell.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Ok just to book-end this little journey, other games are working fine and it looks like it was a rogue addon in Wow that was tanking my frames and pacing. I disabled them all and am back to normal. So that's cool.

Klyith posted:

This is now even harder! Mobos can optionally add installers for that stuff into the UEFI. So you clean install windows with the ethernet cord out, and still have lovely software on your PC on the first boot.

(There is likely a bios setting to not do that if your board comes with this "feature".)

If that's a genuine question, the answer is you can turn PBO on but likely will gain absolutely nothing.

Why would I joke about something so esoteric? I understand computers well enough but PBO or PBO2 or whatever making sense to turn on for a 7800X3D is not what I would consider anywhere near public knowledge.

Anyways I do appreciate the help, thanks all.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
alright, this is kind of bullshit, I have like no confidence in this platform right now, I keep having problems and every time i do it's like is it the chip? is it the mobo? is it this exploding crap? like for instance, I keep getting this problem where my computer wont restart anymore, I right click start and hit restart and it just goes black like it's going to restart but everything in my pc just stays on and the only way to "restart it" is to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button for 5 seconds. it happened before and I couldn't figure it out so I reinstalled windows 11 and that fixed it but now it's back, and I have no idea, and this whole thing has just become a real loving ball of stress and I'd return the whole stupid platform if I wasn't worried this was going to be the straw that breaks the too many returns camel back on amazon and get my whole household banned. but yeah bitching on a comedy forum is definitely the way.

and hell, maybe I just fixed it, or maybe the gremlin is asleep, I guess thats the fun of it ha ha HA HA :laffo:

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 14, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

runaway dog posted:

alright, this is kind of bullshit, I have like no confidence in this platform right now, I keep having problems and every time i do it's like is it the chip? is it the mobo? is it this exploding crap? like for instance, I keep getting this problem where my computer wont restart anymore, I right click start and hit restart and it just goes black like it's going to restart but everything in my pc just stays on and the only way to "restart it" is to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button for 5 seconds. it happened before and I couldn't figure it out so I reinstalled windows 11 and that fixed it but now it's back, and I have no idea, and this whole thing has just become a real loving ball of stress and I'd return the whole stupid platform if I wasn't worried this was going to be the straw that breaks the too many returns camel back on amazon and get my whole household banned. but yeah bitching on a comedy forum is definitely the way.

and hell, maybe I just fixed it, or maybe the gremlin is asleep, I guess thats the fun of it ha ha HA HA :laffo:

thanks for killing whatever little interest i had at a 7800X3D

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cygni posted:

I will say, the drivers for WiFi, Bluetooth, and LAN are clean. They come with an AsusSetup.exe but that just copies over the relevant files so I feel comfortable using that instead of the "Browse for drivers" process through Device Manager--the driver folder doesn't have a bunch of other stuff like the Realtek audio drivers.

"Install Armoury Crate" is on by default in the BIOS (which I've disabled) but as far as I can tell, it just prompts Win10 to give you a notification to install it and doesn't actually install it automatically.

runaway dog posted:

We all should've just built our new systems around the 13600K, which I might've done if not for Microcenter's 7900X CPU + RAM + mobo bundle being the same price.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Josh Lyman posted:

We all should've just built our new systems around the 13600K, which I might've done if not for Microcenter's 7900X CPU + RAM + mobo bundle being the same price.
seriously, I don't remember zen 1 being this scuffed, even with the strange linux errata.

Computer I'm going to build ~eventually~ will be using a 5950x instead of a 7900. Probably will be completed in 2024 when Zen4+: We Fixed It Edition comes out.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
To cross-post from the Intel thread, just in case the AM5 downers make people think for a second Intel is a perfect company without their own issues:

Intel Deploys Undisclosed Microcode Security Update For CPUs Going Back To Coffee Lake
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-microcode-security-update

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
I'd like to emphasize that, for me 1.) cpu+mobo+ram still work, 2.)they've made a massive impact on my gaming, 3.) maybe the LAN will come back someday!