Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tracks are just wheels that you put over multiple wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Nenonen posted:

Tyres over multiple wheels?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nenonen posted:

You are J. Walter Christie and I claim my five Euro.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nenonen posted:

Tracks are just very small roads custom made for you wheels

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Tafferling posted:

Honestly, IFVs are all just boxes on wheels to me.

Lightly armored Jeeps, all of them.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Counterattacking around Bakhmut is probably a good way to avoid the comprehensive defensive works the Russians have built up in the more talked about offensive directions. If the Russians rout in retreat a lot of casualties could be inflicted at a comparatively lower cost to Ukraine.

This is from a couple of months ago, I can't find a more recent version, but its useful for illustration:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Blut posted:

Counterattacking around Bakhmut is probably a good way to avoid the comprehensive defensive works the Russians have built up in the more talked about offensive directions. If the Russians rout in retreat a lot of casualties could be inflicted at a comparatively lower cost to Ukraine.

This is from a couple of months ago, I can't find a more recent version, but its useful for illustration:

current version

https://twitter.com/bradyafr/status/1656343349983608838

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tafferling posted:

Honestly, IFVs are all just boxes on wheels to me.

You take that back! :argh:

Vox Nihili posted:

Not that it really matters for this point, but 1.5 million is the population of the entire Oblast, not just the city.

Thank you!

Dick Ripple posted:

Because the limited number of Western MBTs and IFVs, if I was Ukraine I would use them in a Fleet in Being (not sure what this would be called for land force...) sort of strategy until it was absolutely neccessary or could change something in a strategic or operational manner. We should assume the Russians still have decent intel and are at least tracking some of the these vehicles, especially if being used or grouped in any large numbers. Therefore simply maneuver them where you want the Russias to think you are going to attack. Russia then has to make some tough decisions on positioning their own forces.

Western tanks and IFVs are better than Russian ones, but they are not wunderwaffen. They're currently being used to equip around nine Ukrainian brigades. You don't force the enemy to your will be keeping nine brigades in reserve in perpetuity: you force the enemy to your will by using them in active combat operations. The "fleet in being" concept works when you have an element not in contact with the enemy which the enemy must always consider when making any plan, but which is likely to be destroyed upon contact with the enemy. It's a variant of Fabian's Strategy, and is not aligned with Ukraine's strategic objectives in this war right now.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ynglaur posted:

You take that back! :argh:

Thank you!

The "fleet in being" concept works when you have an element not in contact with the enemy which the enemy must always consider when making any plan, but which is likely to be destroyed upon contact with the enemy. It's a variant of Fabian's Strategy, and is not aligned with Ukraine's strategic objectives in this war right now.

Is that like the dreadnoughts in WWI?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Russian Mi-28 attack helicopter has crashed to ground during training flight in the Crimea. Both pilots are dead. TASS says that according to MoD at this point the cause seems to have been equipment failure.

I wouldn't read too much into one case, but I can hope that it reflects Russia's difficulties at keeping its flying equipment in a condition where they don't suddenly change course to the nearest gravity well. :shobon:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Don't military helicopters crash in training just sort of regularly anyway? But yeah, hopefully it's telling of poor equipment/maintenance.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Don't military helicopters crash in training just sort of regularly anyway? But yeah, hopefully it's telling of poor equipment/maintenance.

Sometimes they crash when the pilot is simply showing off:
https://youtu.be/V3rR8OIkSpA

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dr_rat posted:

Helicopters are constantly trying to crash. It’s what they do.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Non-paywalled Washington Post article about the de-Russification of Ukraine:

quote:

Ukraine’s cultural counteroffensive: The rush to erase Russia’s imprint
By Ruby Mellen, Zoeann Murphy, Kostiantyn Khudov and Kasia Strek
May 11 at 2:25 p.m.

KYIV, Ukraine —

In one of the most profound examples of how President Vladimir Putin’s brutal invasion has backfired, some Ukrainians are now trying to erase Russia — and the Russian language — from their culture and landscape.

Ukraine is a country where many, including President Volodymyr Zelensky, grew up with Russian as their native tongue. But now the language is vanishing from public life and fading even in some daily private conversations.

Russian-language books have been pulped. Russocentric museums have been pressured to shutter. Streets named after Russian sites, poets and Soviet army generals are marked for a change.

Zelensky last month signed two laws barring the use of Russian place names and requiring Ukrainian citizens to know the Ukrainian language.

“Russia itself is doing everything to ensure that de-Russification takes place on the territory of our state,” Zelensky said a month after the start of the invasion in February 2022. Putin in part has justified his bloody assault on Ukraine by saying he is saving Russian people there from cultural erasure.

But Russia’s war on Ukraine, including the bombing of predominantly Russian-speaking cities such as Mariupol and Kharkiv, has only pushed Ukrainians further away.

Full Article

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

dr_rat posted:

Helicopters are incredibly complex machines in both maintenance and flying. As the other poster said they are trying to crash at all times. Flying one is incredibly fatiguing both physically and mentally. There is a hard time limit for how long you can fly at a time between mandatory rest period.

https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-91/subpart-K/subject-group-ECFRc17623c0e0be17e/section-91.1059

There is different standards for the military but they aren’t too far off.

The maintenance needs are pretty heavy as well. Compared to fixed wing aircraft it is like comparing Duplo to the most intricate Technics Lego sets. There is a million things that can go wrong and do. There is also a lot more things that have to be regularly changed, for example rotors need to be checked and changed regularly. They have a surprisingly lower flight hour life than you would think.

The costs of maintenance and manpower of one rotary airframe is roughly the same as three fixed wing, of course depending on the type and whatnot.

It’s a big reason why I refuse to go in civilian helicopters. I don’t trust they have been maintained properly. There is a lot less oversight there than with the pilots.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also, this happened:

https://twitter.com/albafella1/status/1657061337963327489?t=N7KNhUYweH1W_GumrGJnYw&s=19

E:

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1657066246678904845?t=FgiHEOMXxKeAp50lDGp8YA&s=19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADM-160_MALD?wprov=sfla1

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 12, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Helicopters are aerodynamic blasphemy, created by Sikorsky himself and further refined into even more blasphemous creatures (aka the Osprey) by engineers with neither soul nor conscience. They don’t actually fly, the ground repels the foul beasts as best it can until it can trick them into crashing.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Western tanks and IFVs are better than Russian ones, but they are not wunderwaffen. They're currently being used to equip around nine Ukrainian brigades. You don't force the enemy to your will be keeping nine brigades in reserve in perpetuity: you force the enemy to your will by using them in active combat operations. The "fleet in being" concept works when you have an element not in contact with the enemy which the enemy must always consider when making any plan, but which is likely to be destroyed upon contact with the enemy. It's a variant of Fabian's Strategy, and is not aligned with Ukraine's strategic objectives in this war right now.

:viggo: I'm really only being this nitpicky because it ties in so wonderfully with your current avatar, but it's Fabian Strategy, not Fabian's, as the man who it's named after was called Fabius.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Djarum posted:

It’s a big reason why I refuse to go in civilian helicopters. I don’t trust they have been maintained properly. There is a lot less oversight there than with the pilots.

Same, even for civilian planes. Every year, some small plane and / or a helicopter crashes in my rural area. I can only assume that most of them get less than even the bare legal minimum of attention.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Potential use of new toys
https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1657062295447404558?s=20

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1657065455331180552?s=20

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

That is VERY interesting if Ukraine has got the ADM-160. To give a cliftnotes version; it is a decoy missile designed to simulate the signature of basically any aircraft from a huge transport like a C-5, to a heavy bomber like a B-52 to a stealth aircraft like a F-117 or B-2.

The idea is to use them either in a SEAD/DEAD scenario or focus air defense on them while you have a cruise missile or the like hit the actual target.

They have been very sparingly used in combat and I don’t think available for export. I am really interested in knowing how they are launching them as well since I don’t think you could bolt them on to a MiG-29 easily. My guess would be they got a couple US drones as that would be the easiest launch platform for them both in use and to keep secret, but that is just a guess.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wow that's gonna make someone very mald

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Djarum posted:

They have been very sparingly used in combat and I don’t think available for export. I am really interested in knowing how they are launching them as well since I don’t think you could bolt them on to a MiG-29 easily. My guess would be they got a couple US drones as that would be the easiest launch platform for them both in use and to keep secret, but that is just a guess.

Where there's will, there's a way :sun:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wow, wasnt expecting to see MALD used

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wibla posted:

Where there's will, there's a way :sun:

While I am positive they could rig something together, but giving a couple MQ-1 Predator drones that have been retired and the US have been looking for ways to get rid of would be a much easier solution. They aren’t anything classified at this point and are in use in other counties. If they are lost it isn’t as big of a deal as losing a MiG or Sukhoi would be. Also they can be preprogrammed from the ground so jamming and whatnot isn’t a concern for a deep strike.

If Ukraine has Predators then the option to give them Hellfires is also on the table which would be a huge operational improvement for them as well.

This is all speculative but the pieces fit and it makes sense.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Djarum posted:

While I am positive they could rig something together, but giving a couple MQ-1 Predator drones that have been retired and the US have been looking for ways to get rid of would be a much easier solution. They aren’t anything classified at this point and are in use in other counties. If they are lost it isn’t as big of a deal as losing a MiG or Sukhoi would be. Also they can be preprogrammed from the ground so jamming and whatnot isn’t a concern for a deep strike.

If Ukraine has Predators then the option to give them Hellfires is also on the table which would be a huge operational improvement for them as well.

This is all speculative but the pieces fit and it makes sense.

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm pretty impressed at the misdirection from the military if this turns out to be the case and Ukraine secretly has some very high end poo poo now.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

I know I shouldn't be, but I'm pretty impressed at the misdirection from the military if this turns out to be the case and Ukraine secretly has some very high end poo poo now.

poo poo will blow up, stuff will happen, and we won't know the full story until way after the fact. That's just how this is going to go.

MQ-1's being hauled across the border without any fanfare fits well with "where's there will, there's a way" :v:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Djarum posted:

That is VERY interesting if Ukraine has got the ADM-160. To give a cliftnotes version; it is a decoy missile designed to simulate the signature of basically any aircraft from a huge transport like a C-5, to a heavy bomber like a B-52 to a stealth aircraft like a F-117 or B-2.

Sounds like they could be used for some amazing pranks!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Athas posted:

Sounds like they could be used for some amazing pranks!

Every night for a month, you fire a decoy missile pretending to be a bomber toward the enemy. Finally they get that you're just milking them for AAA missiles. Then you send the real one.

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

Ukraine has decided to build some tanks itself in Kharkiv, it's a variant of the Oplot which itself is an iteration of T84. It has some better optics and electronics than the Oplot and it will cost around 4 million. Some sites say it's a direct consequence of the joint venture of the Rheinmetal and Ukroboronprom that was announced a few days ago; although that venture was supposed to build some other tanks. vOv. Wonder how soon they can start churning them out.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ukrainian-made-oplot-tanks-ordered-105200984.html
https://twitter.com/GlasnostGone/status/1657055334484066312

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

You let loose 3 missiles labelled F-16, F-18 and F-22

They'll be busy looking for the F-20 missile 🤣

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wibla posted:

poo poo will blow up, stuff will happen, and we won't know the full story until way after the fact. That's just how this is going to go.

MQ-1's being hauled across the border without any fanfare fits well with "where's there will, there's a way" :v:

Well also it is a LOT easier to clandestinely move a bunch of Predators into the country than it would be to move something like F-16s.

Like I said months ago which I got poo pooed for saying, I am positive that Ukraine is getting stuff that is not officially announced. It doesn’t make sense that they wouldn’t be. The things that get announced officially is things that either the country giving it and Ukraine is comfortable saying openly.

I honestly can’t wait for a decade or so after this is all over to read about all the crazy stuff that was done. It will be probably the most fascinating conflict historically since WWII.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Brain65 posted:

Ukraine has decided to build some tanks itself in Kharkiv, it's a variant of the Oplot which itself is an iteration of T84. It has some better optics and electronics than the Oplot and it will cost around 4 million. Some sites say it's a direct consequence of the joint venture of the Rheinmetal and Ukroboronprom that was announced a few days ago; although that venture was supposed to build some other tanks. vOv. Wonder how soon they can start churning them out.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/ukrainian-made-oplot-tanks-ordered-105200984.html

A funny thought occured. According to Wikipedia Turkey was interested in 2000 in a T-84 equipped with a NATO 120mm smoothbore gun. Three different gun designs were tested on it. Since Rheinmetall is the creator of the 120mm gun in Abrams and Leopard, could they even go so far as to switch guns? Well... probably not. It would take a major redesign to either fit a loader into the Oplot's crew space, or to make an autoloader for the Rheinmetall-120 that fits. And Ukraine probably doesn't want to spend a decade tinkering on something that will be outdated by then.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Brain65 posted:

Hopefully by "Kharkiv" they mean "someplace like Poland", since Kharkiv is way to close to the border....

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Gniwu posted:

:viggo: I'm really only being this nitpicky because it ties in so wonderfully with your current avatar, but it's Fabian Strategy, not Fabian's, as the man who it's named after was called Fabius.

:vince:

You're technically correct, which we all must acknowledge is the best kind of correct.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ynglaur posted:

:vince:

You're technically correct, which we all must acknowledge is the best kind of correct.

I think the better response to that would have been "this does indeed appear to be the case".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Icon Of Sin posted:

Helicopters are aerodynamic blasphemy, created by Sikorsky himself and further refined into even more blasphemous creatures (aka the Osprey) by engineers with neither soul nor conscience. They don’t actually fly, the ground repels the foul beasts as best it can until it can trick them into crashing.

Airplanes use the laws of physics to achieve flight. Helicopters bludgeon them in to compliance as one step of their primary motivation; lusting for the blood of their pilots.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

Airplanes use the laws of physics to achieve flight. Helicopters bludgeon them in to compliance as one step of their primary motivation; lusting for the blood of their pilots.

Any vehicle that requires a "Jesus Nut" to function properly is a leap of faith too far.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I remember a guy who used to ride on Chinooks telling me that there's a certain part towards the back that's supposed to constantly leak oil. If it doesn't, you basically need to land immediately. I'll admit I have no idea if he was bullshitting me or not, but it seems to fit the general consensus about helicopters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Just Another Lurker posted:

Any vehicle that requires a "Jesus Nut" to function properly is a leap of faith too far.

Yeah, always ensure Jesus' nuts are properly polished and greased.