Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Are there any hot minivans? like a ktuned odyssey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Head Bee Guy posted:

bonjour, monsieur

Wasn't really production tho.

People do some really, really, really stupid stuff with K-car based minivans. You can evidently make a turbo K-car based minivan run 12s if you drop a Turbo II in it and do a hell of a lot of work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
A relevant video I will never get tired of watching:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78InPT4iqlw

Older version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haPCQKOyMTo

There are also a couple of homebuilt "Mazdaspeed5s" out there:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuelu1mc47U

and Bisimoto's batshit Odyssey:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0l6QMEiOdE

I don't think anyone's done a hot minivan from the factory though, and most of the tuning market for them is just whatever parts are shared with more commonly modified models. At least for US market models IMO the Mazda5 was the most deserving of it, being both smaller than other modern minivans and available to the end with three pedals.

edit: threw in a few extra line breaks so the videos aren't all over the place.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 7, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

De winterized the Fiesta today and took it for a drive. It’s still fun, folks!

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Head Bee Guy posted:

I think the R63 AMG wins that one

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a41993271/2007-mercedes-r63-amg-is-todays-bring-a-trailer-auction-pick/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

No sliding doors.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

No sliding doors.

:swoon: like a Mk1 Honda Odyssey :swoon:

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Dr. Lunchables posted:

De winterized the Fiesta today and took it for a drive. It’s still fun, folks!

De-winterized the Mini yesterday, got this sweet set of used rims from a GP3:

Anyone who's on the fence about ditching run-flats for regular tires with a spare: do it. I can't explain enough how much better the ride is.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

sarcastx posted:

Anyone who's on the fence about ditching run-flats for regular tires with a spare: do it. I can't explain enough how much better the ride is.

Truth. Every BMW my dad has bought with run flats has improved massively in terms of ride quality once replacing them with normal tyres.

It seems like with run flats you’re putting up with harsh ride, the car tram lining and other weird things when you hit irregularities in the road surface (I used to feel the car get a sort of sideways shove when hitting certain bumps in a certain way) every single day just in case you one day get a flat.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/7BhIJieFUW4

I actually really like it

It’s still pretty “generically acura” in a way that the Type R isn’t (I also just really love the styling of the Civic 11), but it’s the best looking of the acura bunch IMO. The grille is surprisingly nice.

The lack of ports/etc in back sucks, otherwise a solid “cool dad/mom” car contender

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Finally, and it owns and owns hard. Needs a few things, tires, refinished wheels, a wash, and to get my Dire Straits CD it ate.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 23, 2023

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Those seats and dat rear end :swoon:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's at THICK boy

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

KakerMix posted:

Finally, and it owns and owns hard. Needs a few things, tires, refinished wheels, a wash, and to get my Dire Straits CD it ate.

Hot drat, what the gently caress !

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Hot drat, what the gently caress !

I posted about it a long time ago as I awaited for it to become legal for import, then again as I had to deal with other not-car related things about it actually coming TO the US, but I should have stated what it is:

1997 Toyota Caldina GT-T, a 3S-GTE powered AWD manual transmission wagon. It's extremely similar to plopping a wagon body on top of a GT-Four Celica, with the major differences between the engines is that the one here in this GT-T makes more power than the Celica GT-Four as well as being an air to air intercooler vs. the GT-Four's water to air. What makes this better, to me anyway, than the Caldina GT-Four (they adopted the GT-Four name it probably should have always had) that came in the next generation is that the Caldina GT-Four was only available with a 4 speed tiptronic automatic thus striking it from my wanted list.

The Caldina shares a very short list of turbo wagons made by Toyota, the only other one I am aware of around this time is the Crown Athlete Estate, which rules with it's 1JZ-GTE and full-body wagon form and is a much more muscle car than my Caldina. I don't think those were available in AWD though, nor were manual transmissions a thing for them either.
This, then, makes the second gen Caldina GT-T very special indeed.

There is a goon running around in Canada I think with an Athlete wagon, maybe they even posted in this thread!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

KakerMix posted:

Fully sick

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KakerMix posted:

gently caress me running :swoon:

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I was bored on my lunch break last week and decided to look at Toyota's inventory site. Found a dealer in bumfuck nowhere Nebraska with a GRC. Called them and it was available for MSRP. Got super lucky and picked it up over the weekend.

Really didn't want a black car but beggars can't be choosers. Put 700 miles on it over the weekend. Coming from owning Miatas and 86s this car is scary fast. The engine is phenomenal and has a very old school feel. All the power is above 4k. It really wants you to ring it out. The car feels like it has endless amounts of grip. The suspension is really well tuned for aggressive street driving. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement but it's very composed otherwise. It's been perfect for the mountain roads in Colorado. The shifter feels great, especially for being cable operated. It has a very mechanical feel. The seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I drove for nearly 10 hours yesterday with no butt pain at all. In my Crosstrek I'd be uncomfortable after about 2 hours.

The technology package is dog poo poo. The JBL stereo is terrible. The wireless charger barely works. Wireless Android Auto is a coin flip every time you start the car. The nav included in the package requires a subscription to use.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the car. I'm stoked to get it out to a track day and really figure out it's limits. Hopefully I don't die in a canyon before then.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Partial Octopus posted:

I was bored on my lunch break last week and decided to look at Toyota's inventory site. Found a dealer in bumfuck nowhere Nebraska with a GRC. Called them and it was available for MSRP. Got super lucky and picked it up over the weekend.

Really didn't want a black car but beggars can't be choosers. Put 700 miles on it over the weekend. Coming from owning Miatas and 86s this car is scary fast. The engine is phenomenal and has a very old school feel. All the power is above 4k. It really wants you to ring it out. The car feels like it has endless amounts of grip. The suspension is really well tuned for aggressive street driving. It can be a bit harsh on rough pavement but it's very composed otherwise. It's been perfect for the mountain roads in Colorado. The shifter feels great, especially for being cable operated. It has a very mechanical feel. The seats are the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. I drove for nearly 10 hours yesterday with no butt pain at all. In my Crosstrek I'd be uncomfortable after about 2 hours.

The technology package is dog poo poo. The JBL stereo is terrible. The wireless charger barely works. Wireless Android Auto is a coin flip every time you start the car. The nav included in the package requires a subscription to use.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the car. I'm stoked to get it out to a track day and really figure out it's limits. Hopefully I don't die in a canyon before then.

Man I'm jealous. When the GR Corolla was announced I was certain that would be my next car, but then Toyota said "limited numbers" and I went welp, gently caress that. Part of the reason I committed to getting the Caldina I posted above was directly in response to Toyota forcing everyone to deal with dealers and limited numbers. To add to the true GR angle though:

Just got back from a road trip in Japan with friends, on this: https://tokyonur.com/2023/04/18/roundcat-racing-presents-roundcat-rally-2023/ where I was driving the Jimny (which is a fantastic vehicle, goddamn) but for a leg of the journey I drove a non-differential equipped GR Yaris up in the touge road zone around Guma, Japan. Not having driven a GR Corolla, I can say for absolutely certainty that the Yaris loving rules.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

Sweet! Where in Neb did you find that? I called around a few local places, but I wasn't super serious about getting one so didn't pursue it.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

Sweet! Where in Neb did you find that? I called around a few local places, but I wasn't super serious about getting one so didn't pursue it.

Team Toyota in Scottsbluff.

I've had deposits at 2 dealers in denver for over a year and they never managed to get me one. I was shocked when I managed to find this one.

I used this tracker to find inventory. https://www.toyota.com/search-inventory/model/grcorolla/GR-Corolla-Core/

If you're in the market it may be worth calling some rural dealers.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, that's awesome. Didn't figure Scottsbluff area has enough people for dealers out there to get anything cool. Decided I'm going to hold on to the GTI for now, but will definitely be filing that info away for the future.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

That rules. Congratulations!

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

KakerMix posted:

Man I'm jealous. When the GR Corolla was announced I was certain that would be my next car, but then Toyota said "limited numbers" and I went welp, gently caress that. Part of the reason I committed to getting the Caldina I posted above was directly in response to Toyota forcing everyone to deal with dealers and limited numbers. To add to the true GR angle though:

Just got back from a road trip in Japan with friends, on this: https://tokyonur.com/2023/04/18/roundcat-racing-presents-roundcat-rally-2023/ where I was driving the Jimny (which is a fantastic vehicle, goddamn) but for a leg of the journey I drove a non-differential equipped GR Yaris up in the touge road zone around Guma, Japan. Not having driven a GR Corolla, I can say for absolutely certainty that the Yaris loving rules.

Thats rad, was the GR Yaris a rental car? We've got a trip planned later in the year and we're planning to rent one for about a week through Toyota rent a car, but I did see Omoren had a couple too.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Mahatma-Squid posted:

Thats rad, was the GR Yaris a rental car? We've got a trip planned later in the year and we're planning to rent one for about a week through Toyota rent a car, but I did see Omoren had a couple too.

It was a rental car yeah. I don't remember what prefecture had it, but I was told by the dude that rented it that there is a specific prefecture in Japan that has GR Yaris' to rent, directly from Toyota (hence the keychain). If I had my choice I'd rent from Toyota directly as I'd expect those GRs to be in much nicer condition than the Omoren ones. Omoren has some radical and awesome cars but they are beat on and you can't ignore than when sitting inside one for a while. The Jimny I was in for the rally seems to have sidestepped this as it wasn't a spicy JDM tuner car like what they are known to rent. If you're getting a GR Yaris, go with Toyota directly.

My ride for the rally normally along with one of the few pictures I have with both of the cars in one shot, spoiler the Jimny was fantastic offroad in a way that no other car there could match INCLUDING the GR Yaris :v::

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm buying a 2016 Fiesta Ecoboost next week and I'm hoping there's some decent stuff I can do handling and power wise, I don't mind spending on quality parts, or making my own. It is well worth the cost. I didn't see an Accessport style tuner, is there one available or am I stuck with UK based tuner solutions? I don't plan on making big power, just opening up the intake and making an exhaust.

Do Fiesta ST suspension parts work on it? I see tons of options in the regard, and cheap-ish OEM performance would be sweet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
16?

uk spec?

iirc you should be fine. i have a 17 us spec and i remember all the fun aftermarket parts were 16ish for that gen i think only thing was the sync version on the head unit

that being said. is it a ST or ecoboost?

not sure if you can forscan anything but suspension stuff shoudnt matter

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

DJ Commie posted:

I'm buying a 2016 Fiesta Ecoboost next week and I'm hoping there's some decent stuff I can do handling and power wise, I don't mind spending on quality parts, or making my own. It is well worth the cost. I didn't see an Accessport style tuner, is there one available or am I stuck with UK based tuner solutions? I don't plan on making big power, just opening up the intake and making an exhaust.

Do Fiesta ST suspension parts work on it? I see tons of options in the regard, and cheap-ish OEM performance would be sweet.

Cobb Accessport was/is available for the FiST, I had mine tuned by Adam of Tune+ back when I still had mine. Even the OTS tunes really wake up the low end power, but I had a Mountune catted downpipe and MAPerformance cat-back, along with that intake that basically sat in your glovebox (that was a mistake!).

https://www.tuneplusinc.com/pages/2014-2019-ford-fiesta-st

Exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rQ7o1hundQ

Stupid loud intake noises:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V76CZjDj0MM

I miss that car so much.

Edit: Oh you're not getting an ST, just the 1.0l? Nevermind my post then, I'm not sure if Cobb has anything.

Shartweek fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 1, 2023

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

gently caress yeah, that thing rules. You can fit the ford racing shock and spring package (or keep it stock, I liked the factory setup). I test drove one of those back in 2014 and ended up in a 2015 1.0l Focus. It’s such a charming engine, a friend of mine ended up with it and I kinda want it back.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
AFAIK the Ford Racing suspension for normal Fiestas is similar to or the same as the ST stock suspension. I'm almost certain it's at least the same height, the stock ones aren't eligible for SCCA autocross because they're too tall for their width but STs and those with FR suspension are.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

KakerMix posted:

It was a rental car yeah. I don't remember what prefecture had it, but I was told by the dude that rented it that there is a specific prefecture in Japan that has GR Yaris' to rent, directly from Toyota (hence the keychain). If I had my choice I'd rent from Toyota directly as I'd expect those GRs to be in much nicer condition than the Omoren ones. Omoren has some radical and awesome cars but they are beat on and you can't ignore than when sitting inside one for a while. The Jimny I was in for the rally seems to have sidestepped this as it wasn't a spicy JDM tuner car like what they are known to rent. If you're getting a GR Yaris, go with Toyota directly.

My ride for the rally normally along with one of the few pictures I have with both of the cars in one shot, spoiler the Jimny was fantastic offroad in a way that no other car there could match INCLUDING the GR Yaris :v::

Cool, that looks like it would have been awesome. I found a few Toyota rent a car branches in and around Nagoya and Gifu that have them available, we're planning to rent one for a week or so and check out a bunch of places in Toyama and Kanazawa. It seemed to be a pretty small fee to do a one way rental and drop it off somewhere else so we don't even have to loop back. Japan does get an automatic GR Yaris that's FWD with the standard Yaris motor and way more common so you have to make sure you're specifically searching for a manual if you want to rent a proper GR Yaris from them though.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, those Omorens are hit and miss. The S660 I rented was super clean, had some Yoko sticky tires, and a few mods - awesome. The purple R33 GTR they have though.... boost cut, didn't drive straight, lovely tires, lost a fender liner on the highway, etc.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

16?

uk spec?

iirc you should be fine. i have a 17 us spec and i remember all the fun aftermarket parts were 16ish for that gen i think only thing was the sync version on the head unit

that being said. is it a ST or ecoboost?

not sure if you can forscan anything but suspension stuff shoudnt matter

US spec 2016 1.0 Ecoboost

wolrah posted:

AFAIK the Ford Racing suspension for normal Fiestas is similar to or the same as the ST stock suspension. I'm almost certain it's at least the same height, the stock ones aren't eligible for SCCA autocross because they're too tall for their width but STs and those with FR suspension are.

Ooh, that stuff is still reasonably cheap too. I want to do at least some track days, but definitely being up to snuff for SCCA stuff helps the self-tech or any compliance questions.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

DJ Commie posted:

Ooh, that stuff is still reasonably cheap too. I want to do at least some track days, but definitely being up to snuff for SCCA stuff helps the self-tech or any compliance questions.
Definitely verify any specifics about the suspension, I could have sworn FRPP had a separate kit that was more "OEM like" than the B-Spec kit but I can't find anything about it so I might be misremembering some things.

The SCCA stuff I can stand behind firmly though. Non-ST Fiestas are explicitly called out in the rules as being excluded from the street class for reasons of stability (page 179 of the 2023 edition) and also fail the requirement from section 3.1A for the overall height of the vehicle (58.1") to be less than the average track width (57.35") which applies to all classes. Obviously if you're interested in playing in the modified classes almost any lowering of the suspension will do the trick.

STs are no wider but sit at 57.2" tall so they barely squeak by the rules, but it still requires caution as there are many documented cases of stock FiSTs on sticky rubber two wheeling or rolling over during autocross events.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I think STs have a wider front track though, despite the car not being wider.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I think STs have a wider front track though, despite the car not being wider.
According to Ford's official spec sheets both are 57.7" up front and 57.0" in the back.

https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/product/2016/2016-Ford-Fiesta-Tech-Specs.pdf
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/fordmedia/North%20America/US/product/2016/2016-Ford-Fiesta-ST-Tech-Specs-FINAL.pdf

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well, learned something new today.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Hatch related service question while I wait for the shop to call me back. I tried searching online, but didn't find anything right away.

I have a 2011 GTI, everything was running perfectly yesterday. This morning I try to go to the store and it won't start, no turnover or anything. Screams at me about my brakes and airbags, and needing service. I can't even roll up my windows or close my sunroof that I had cracked open last night.

Just looking for any idea what the gently caress could have happened. Thanks all

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Roundup Ready posted:

Hatch related service question while I wait for the shop to call me back. I tried searching online, but didn't find anything right away.

I have a 2011 GTI, everything was running perfectly yesterday. This morning I try to go to the store and it won't start, no turnover or anything. Screams at me about my brakes and airbags, and needing service. I can't even roll up my windows or close my sunroof that I had cracked open last night.

Just looking for any idea what the gently caress could have happened. Thanks all

Just throwing it out there, maybe battery or blown fuse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Just throwing it out there, maybe battery or blown fuse?

I'll check the fuses, good call. My battery is pretty drat old, but it's been starting just fine until today. Thanks.