Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

drk posted:

I live in a pretty expensive area and there is a storage place a few blocks away.

Prices range from: $30/month for 9 sq feet (who tf is renting 9 square feet) up to $495/month for 200 sq ft.

I feel the former is more so they can advertise "Rates as low as $30!" and not because many people want to rent 9 square feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HCFJ
Nov 30, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
A friend of mine works at one of these storage places (a large chain) and one of their strategies is to advertise 99/mo* with the caveat that they can raise the rates at any time without notice, and then once you're on autopay they jack you up $10-15 every couple months until you notice and call to complain. Complainers are entitled to one (1) rollback and if they call again they're advised to move their stuff to a different unit and start over. This is a real company policy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The other major differentiator is climate controlled or not. If you just need a tin shed with a door and don’t care about humidity etc you can get by pretty cheap.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

HCFJ posted:

A friend of mine works at one of these storage places (a large chain) and one of their strategies is to advertise 99/mo* with the caveat that they can raise the rates at any time without notice, and then once you're on autopay they jack you up $10-15 every couple months until you notice and call to complain. Complainers are entitled to one (1) rollback and if they call again they're advised to move their stuff to a different unit and start over. This is a real company policy.

Lol gently caress everyone involved in this

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The US truly is a theocracy and its god is Mammon

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My brother used to do a lot of work cleaning out water damaged storage units

He was always very, very busy. Lots of false alarms/accidental sprinkler releases resulting in total or near total loss. And that waiver you signed means your SOL.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

drk posted:

I live in a pretty expensive area and there is a storage place a few blocks away.

Prices range from: $30/month for 9 sq feet (who tf is renting 9 square feet) up to $495/month for 200 sq ft.

Desperate people who've lost their homes.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This was pretty hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8fDxtfw9RI

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

drk posted:

(who tf is renting 9 square feet)

Presumably a robot and his human roommate

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The Leck posted:

Presumably a robot and his human roommate

Surprisingly good closet space though

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I don’t think I could get by with 9 square feet.

I’m gonna at least need a few cubic feet.

Fourier Series
Apr 5, 2020

by Hand Knit
Can you secretly live inside the storage unit and thereby not pay rent for a normal place?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Fourier Series posted:

Can you secretly live inside the storage unit and thereby not pay rent for a normal place?

You can until a manager finds you and kicks you and all of your poo poo out.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to wait until the full cyberpunk dystopia before you can do so sustainably.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My boss (who also spends close to $10k per year on membership to a tumbling gym and a competitive touring tumbling team for her 7 or 8-year old daughter) just announced that she is sending her to Florida for two weeks to enroll in a special "sailing school" for kids age 6 to 9.

No clue how much this costs, but I am sure two weeks at sailing school in Florida is pricey.

It is also blowing my mind that you can send your 6-year old kid away to a camp to learn how to sail.

She is also sending her to a summer school for child actors after she gets back. She is doing all of this because of some dispute she had with her kid's daycare that she pulled her out over. And, apparently, it is impossible to find a full-time daycare over the summer with only two months notice.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Congrats to your boss on being rich I guess.

Unless she isn't then congrats on the future bankruptcy.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Millennials: I'm an anxious burnout now because I was a gifted kid in school and I just couldn't live up to the pressure.

Also Millennials: I will gladly spend five figures putting my kid into a competitive touring team instead of letting them play little league.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LanceHunter posted:

Millennials: I'm an anxious burnout now because I was a gifted kid in school and I just couldn't live up to the pressure.

Also Millennials: I will gladly spend five figures putting my kid into a competitive touring team instead of letting them play little league.
Clearly you just need to pressure your kids the right way.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mrmcd posted:

Congrats to your boss on being rich I guess.

Unless she isn't then congrats on the future bankruptcy.

She makes pretty good money, but she is constantly broke and talking about juggling credit cards and loans to pay for her tumbling coach and vacations.

She also lets her daughter Doordash McDonald's pancakes for breakfast every day during the school year because she had to leave for work about an hour before her bus came.

She is a pretty weird lady in general, but I think she just has an extreme combination of lifestyle creep + "I have to have a tumbling coach for my 4-year old who will coach her for the next 5 years, fly her around the country to competitions, and send her to acting school or else she will never stand out on a college application and end up dead in a ditch at 19."

She just has the rare combination of "esoteric sport" + "crazed drive" + "enough income to technically pull it off" to make it happen. I know a lot of people who would probably do the same things she does if they had the money.

LanceHunter posted:

She's a Gen-Xer. She just had her kid around 40.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 12, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I wish I had enoguh money to do dumb poo poo like this (I proably do but I do weird things like add stuff to savings accounts instead

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

She's a Gen-Xer. She just had her kid around 40.

Interesting. Though those types of leagues have only really been able to take off because millennials have been putting their kids into them.

I would have figured that after the Nassar conviction and all the exposés about how generally abusive things can get in these Olympic-funnel programs, there would have been some decline. But apparently they are as popular as ever.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

It is also blowing my mind that you can send your 6-year old kid away to a camp to learn how to sail.

That's pretty much the career path that was followed during the age of sail.

Kind of jealous actually, if I were rich that's how I'd raise my kids. Bilingual chinese/english tutor from birth, violin tutor, classics tutor.

But I'm not rich so hello Mr. Ipad.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 12, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That's pretty much the career path that was followed during the age of sail.

Kind of jealous actually, if I were rich that's how I'd raise my kids. Bilingual chinese/english tutor from birth, violin tutor, classics tutor.

But I'm not rich so hello Mr. Ipad.

I’d probably start with summers in Rangoon…luge lessons. In the spring we’d make meat helmets. If they’re insolent, I would place them in a burlap bag and beat them with reeds- pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve they’d receive their first scribe.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"does your uncle have a horse farm too?" - a sentence i heard with my own fuckin ears

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I want to take two weeks off for sailing school, tho probably not in Florida.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Recreational boating sounds hella fun if I didn't know how BWM boats are.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

LanceHunter posted:

My children will either be all stars or burnouts: I will accept nothing less.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
burnouts it is, then

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

My boss (who also spends close to $10k per year on membership to a tumbling gym and a competitive touring tumbling team for her 7 or 8-year old daughter) just announced that she is sending her to Florida for two weeks to enroll in a special "sailing school" for kids age 6 to 9.

No clue how much this costs, but I am sure two weeks at sailing school in Florida is pricey.

She is also sending her to a summer school for child actors after she gets back. She is doing all of this because of some dispute she had with her kid's daycare that she pulled her out over. And, apparently, it is impossible to find a full-time daycare over the summer with only two months notice.

Tumbling, sailing, and acting. Sounds like a very specific path for a career as the star who does her own stunts in the future Pirates of the Caribbean 8: The Curse of Eisner's Gold

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

If you go to sailing school in Connecticut instead, they'll pay you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USCGC_Eagle_(WIX-327)

Heffer
May 1, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Tumbling, sailing, and acting. Sounds like a very specific path for a career as the star who does her own stunts in the future Pirates of the Caribbean 8: The Curse of Eisner's Gold

Friend's little sister pivoted from an economics degree into an acting career after she got bit by the bug with the theater kids in college.

Then she started getting involved in stunts, swordplay, pyrotechnics, and more mundane technical work. Now she's forklift certified which is at least a marketable skill.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

My children will either be all stars or burnouts: I will accept nothing less.

Give any star enough time and you get a burnout. Citation: Every therapist office in America. :v:

quote:

Friend's little sister pivoted from an economics degree into an acting career after she got bit by the theater kids in college.

I modified this quote to how I initially read it, and not gonna lie, my day became substantially less magical once I re-read it and got the correct interpretation.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
I don't understand why anyone would want to go to Florida in the summer, that's literally the opposite of what you should do. If you want to sail in the summer you should go to Maine or Nova Scotia or something.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I feel like the cost to insure a sailboat that takes inexperienced six-year-olds out on the water most be prohibitive. I wonder if they just put them on a boat in a parking lot or some sort of simulator or something?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ham Equity posted:

I feel like the cost to insure a sailboat that takes inexperienced six-year-olds out on the water most be prohibitive. I wonder if they just put them on a boat in a parking lot or some sort of simulator or something?

It's that one Community episode!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
It’s Florida, there’s probably no requirement to have insurance for that kind of thing. They’ll just declare bankruptcy after they kill some kids and start a new company.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
doesnt florida have 80% of the insurance fraud lawsuits of the entire nation or is that exclusively home insurance fraud

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

bob dobbs is dead posted:

doesnt florida have 80% of the insurance fraud lawsuits of the entire nation or is that exclusively home insurance fraud

Seems like it. Whenever patients ask me about getting treatment in Florida I generally tell them don't.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fourier Series posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVCTLPNUzo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

A full-time camp? Oh yeah, that's gonna get expensive. I'm pretty sure the day camp my parents sent me to as a kid, to learn how to sail, was pricy and I'm also pretty sure my grandparents were paying most of it.

It's not horse camp expensive, but it's not cheap either.

Ham Equity posted:

"Stick lifejackets on all of them and make sure none of them go out in anything bigger than a Nutshell, it'll be fine!"