Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the companies pushing for more trains are just using them to transport coal, oil, lng, or corn ethanol. so pushing for more trains now is just going to help them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Trabisnikof posted:

the companies pushing for more trains are just using them to transport coal, oil, lng, or corn ethanol. so pushing for more trains now is just going to help them
I think most people itt are mainly interested in passenger trains.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Trabisnikof posted:

EVs would still be part of the solution even if they're not a pancea. This is complicated by the EV promoters who are treating them as a pancea.

a world where we got rid of 90% of the vehicles on the road and the remaining 10% were EVs to support niches, that could work within our climate and resource "budgets" but that's not what the Tesla bros imagine when they say "EVs will save the world"

This only works if you do the 90% of cars off the road, and would be a bigger win with the remaining vehicles being ICE.

Everyone in the thread is correct in that people want EVs because you can keep consuming, keep driving, keep contributing to climate change, while feeling good about it.

It's recycling all over again, shift the onus to consumers, (hopefully people who buy EVs will successfully shame the rest of us to getting on board, then in 30-40 years we can all sit around wondering why it didn't work.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cat botherer posted:

I think most people itt are mainly interested in passenger trains.

of course that's what big train promises. but passenger trains are just a mask to continue our wasteful practices because you can keep consuming, keep traveling, keep contributing to climate change, while feeling good about it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

plus it may shock some itt to find out...trains run on fossil fuels!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

put wind turbines on top of the trains so they generate power while moving

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Lackmaster posted:

another ding against EVs that I haven’t seen anyone mention so far is how disastrous cars (either EV or ICE) are from a land use perspective. acres of parking lots, roads, highways, residential sprawl, separation of uses with only roads to connect them.

EVs don’t fix any of the spatial and land use issues with cars.

and this is another problem trains can't fix.

if we replace cars with trains 1 to 1, we'd still need acres of parking lots for trains at the stores, railroads to everyone's homes, mainlines with 4x tracks in each direction. replacing cars with trains doesn't stop suburban sprawl or separation of uses with only railroads to connect them.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Trabisnikof posted:

plus it may shock some itt to find out...trains run on fossil fuels!

Japan has had electric high speed rail since 1967

It runs on fossil fuels in exactly the same sense electric cars do

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

if we replace cars with trains 1 to 1, we'd still need acres of parking lots for trains at the stores, railroads to everyone's homes, mainlines with 4x tracks in each direction. replacing cars with trains doesn't stop suburban sprawl or separation of uses with only railroads to connect them.

uhh street cars, bikes, and walking exist. you have the worst takes in the thread

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Wheeee posted:

Wait this might actually work for some routes. Like land sailing

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

cat botherer posted:

Wait till you hear how much steel it would take to replace all cars 1:1 with new cars.

Let me tell you about plastics, my friend.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

there should be sail trains that work like a catamaran, where when you really get it going it tips up on one rail for half the rolling resistance

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

wish I could be as horny for anything as this guy is for the proper appreciation of evs as an extremely almost-relevant climate solution

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I love the idea of the guy who doesn’t think trains will help because he is imagining everyone getting their own individual train that they park at their house and all the roads are train tracks and it’s just huge cars basically.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wheeee posted:

im submitting a grant to study this idea right now before you can

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

exactly, they're both bad!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tiny rowboats made from stretched skins of north american denizens have to be somewhere near the top of the list for green transportation

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Maed posted:

uhh street cars, bikes, and walking exist. you have the worst takes in the thread

Hes just carpilled.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
the real problem with cars is that there is no way to gradually shift away from them. everyone hates trains and busses in the US because they are infrequent, take longer to get to places, and usually don't have a straight route between where you are and where you want to go. but if everyone was only taking trains everywhere not only would there be more routes with more trains so you wouldn't have to wait long, cities would be designed way differently with everything much closer together since you don't need huge sprawling parking lots everywhere too. but you can't just suddenly conjure up a huge train network and change how every community in america is designed, and in the transition period everyone still has to use cars, so you can't even fix most of the problems.

Honolulu just spent like 10 billion dollars on a train that basically doesn't go anywhere because they refused to disrupt the car infrastructure in any way. They should have just stolen a lane from the H1 and put a train on it, which would have been basically free, but instead they built an enormous elevated track that they didn't plan very well and can't actually get into the city. it's pretty funny

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I've lived here for over a decade and they've been building this train the entire time lol. I'm gonna ride it for fun when it opens, but I have to drive to it lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

the real problem with cars is that there is no way to gradually shift away from them. everyone hates trains and busses in the US because they are infrequent, take longer to get to places, and usually don't have a straight route between where you are and where you want to go. but if everyone was only taking trains everywhere not only would there be more routes with more trains so you wouldn't have to wait long, cities would be designed way differently with everything much closer together since you don't need huge sprawling parking lots everywhere too. but you can't just suddenly conjure up a huge train network and change how every community in america is designed, and in the transition period everyone still has to use cars, so you can't even fix most of the problems.

Honolulu just spent like 10 billion dollars on a train that basically doesn't go anywhere because they refused to disrupt the car infrastructure in any way. They should have just stolen a lane from the H1 and put a train on it, which would have been basically free, but instead they built an enormous elevated track that they didn't plan very well and can't actually get into the city. it's pretty funny

i find myself thinking a lot about how short of a timespan this society has been car dominated, like it wasn't really starting until post-ww2 and even then the interstate wasn't even started until '56.

we didn't even have a contiguous coast-to-coast freeway until '86 and the initial interstate system wasn't done until '92.

the complications that arise in the middle of a transition, where you have to keep using the old system while building out the new one are also something i aimlessly ponder a lot. like you said, even if we've got a communist utopia overnight we've still got to keep an economy moving while we build our wonderful replacement.

i guess just shutting down tourism and the military would degrowth hawaii pretty fast

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It is easier to imagine the end of capitalism compared to increasing passenger rail service in the US.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I love the idea of the guy who doesn’t think trains will help because he is imagining everyone getting their own individual train that they park at their house and all the roads are train tracks and it’s just huge cars basically.

so funnily enough, our cars have gotten so huge that a GMC Yukon or is as big or bigger than the Morgantown PRT system vehicles in both width and length, and almost as tall (which is mostly because the PRT has to go to actual stations)

everyone could have their own personal one of these and we'd still probably end up driving smaller vehicles lol

but yes, im giggling hard at the idea of some dude putting truck nuts onto his mini-train, then grumbling as he spends 90 minutes driving to work in bumper to bumper mini-train traffic.

"but what if i need to haul 100 cars of coal one day??? cant do that on a bike"

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Wheeee posted:

holy poo poo its genius

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

Trabisnikof posted:

but yes, im giggling hard at the idea of some dude putting truck nuts onto his mini-train, then grumbling as he spends 90 minutes driving to work in bumper to bumper mini-train traffic.

"but what if i need to haul 100 cars of coal one day??? cant do that on a bike"

I was imagining the little electric... trams? That rail workers used to ride to the end of the line where they were working that day. Just a seat with 2 wheels and an electric motor.

I have no idea what it's called and can't find it though.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

what if we just grew sails out of our backs and laid down on skateboards

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

just tweak one of these badboys

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

LOL

i have no idea if this is a bit. well played if so

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
we need nuclear trains. now, i know what you're thinking: how do you shield a nuclear reactor while keeping it light and small enough to be usable on a train? the answer is, you don't. because those trains will go so fast that they'll leave the radiation they emit behind so it won't affect the people on the train. i crunched the numbers and it works out

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
mustard has some good videos on trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUXEFj0t7Ek

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

we need nuclear trains. now, i know what you're thinking:

a nuclear-armed train? you're right, i am thinking that!

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

we need nuclear trains. now, i know what you're thinking: how do you shield a nuclear reactor while keeping it light and small enough to be usable on a train? the answer is, you don't. because those trains will go so fast that they'll leave the radiation they emit behind so it won't affect the people on the train. i crunched the numbers and it works out

Japan has nuclear trains

You put the reactor in a fixed location and then feed the glow juice down a power line

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Laterite posted:

isn't part of the SO2 "reduction" just that shipbuilders started diverting the exhaust underwater rather than into the air?

Sure, but the specific regulation in question was a reduction in allowed sulphur content from 3% to .5% in marine fuels

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Japan has nuclear trains

You put the reactor in a fixed location and then feed the glow juice down a power line

Those monsters! I hope they transition to clean coal & natural gas like the rest of climate conscious world.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Imagining a version of America where everyone buys their own little train that is connected to this exact copy of our road infrastructure but it's all train tracks. Picture a congested train highway complete with rail rage

Griz
May 21, 2001

less than 1% of American freight rail is electrified because this country is dysfunctional and the rail companies don't want to pay for anything

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Griz posted:

less than 1% of American freight rail is electrified because this country is dysfunctional and the rail companies don't want to pay for anything

Yep :smith:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I can deliver a speech to bring the thread together

So, on one hand we have people who are saying that incremental changes over decades in the scope of the disaster we are already in are useless and should not be praised as they will never be enough and "Humans v. Climate" is a desperate race where you don't have time to stand back and congratulate yourself for doing something 30 years after a 10 year plan we already aren't doing

On the other hand we have people who can't get over the fact something has a provable, mathematical, numerical difference on paper. 1+1=2. Nothing else matters.

So I say to all of you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWSdit919E0&t=791s

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
Get ready for more heat death
https://www.opb.org/article/2023/05/12/portland-oregon-heat-wave-mothers-day-weekend-high-temperatures-warning/

quote:

Portland could see record breaking temperatures over the weekend, with weather conditions similar to the deadly heat dome event in 2021.

That extreme weather, which killed 69 people in Multnomah County, brought heat to the forefront of the climate crisis in the region and prompted swift action from city and local organizations that promised to help residents adapt. While those efforts have had some success nearly two years later, some say more needs to be done.

Starting Friday, the Portland metro could see temperatures rising into the 90s, prompting the National Weather Service to issue an excessive heat watch through Monday. NWS meteorologist Daniel Hartsock said the increase in temperature is coming from a high-pressure system like the heat dome event that trapped hot air over the region in June 2021. He said the same system is also creating offshore easterly winds, which add to dry conditions.

Hartsock said the average high is typically around 70 degrees in mid-May.

“We’re looking at temperatures 20 to 25 degrees above normal, so that’s definitely not very common,” he said.

According to historic data, the region has reached 90 degrees in the first half of May just eight times since records have been kept at the Portland International Office. Hartsock said the last time there were three consecutive 90 degree days in the first half of May was 1987.

“It’s fairly rare,” he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

PNW is just gonna get hosed up this summer. Gonna look like northern California soon enough