Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also also if you get the tavern banter with all female party members, they have the mandatory Girl Talk About the Guys They're Into except everyone but Castti dodges the question. Agnea and Ochette are too young and innocent for romance, and their true love is meat and dancing, irrespectively. Then Throné says she prefers the company of dogs to dudes, which causes Ochette to perk up and go "okay maybe I do have a type."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, I managed to get a copy of the new Zelda, but I'm still not done with Octo2. Throné, why is your final chapter so loving interesting!? I can't stop now! :argh:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

Ugh, I managed to get a copy of the new Zelda, but I'm still not done with Octo2. Throné, why is your final chapter so loving interesting!? I can't stop now! :argh:

It's worth it!! You can do it!

(I say as I plan to juggle like three games, TotK included, because I am a fool)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Assuming that 2 has the same hidden super hard boss as 1: do I need to have the whole gang leveled and equipped? In 1 I ran around with a core group and kept the other four leveled just enough for their stories. So that last part was a total brick wall and I never went back to finish it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chasiubao posted:

Assuming that 2 has the same hidden super hard boss as 1: do I need to have the whole gang leveled and equipped? In 1 I ran around with a core group and kept the other four leveled just enough for their stories. So that last part was a total brick wall and I never went back to finish it.

Ypu need all eight decently-levelled (55-ish+) to finish the main story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah the final boss is less punishing than the one in Octopath 1 but you'll want all eight travelers at a decent level and fully equipped.

There's also a separate superboss that is much harder but optional.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Harrow posted:

There's also a separate superboss that is much harder but optional.

There was a superboss in 1 that had like "beat all the bosses in shadow form" or whatever and then the final boss you needed to bring the whole gang and that's where I hit the wall. Is that kinda how 2's works as well?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

There was a superboss in 1 that had like "beat all the bosses in shadow form" or whatever and then the final boss you needed to bring the whole gang and that's where I hit the wall. Is that kinda how 2's works as well?

Nope. The final story boss is more straightforward this time (and also cooler imo). You will need all eight characters though, but it’s a lot easier than the first game’s final boss.

The optional superboss is a lot harder and is unrelated to the main story or final boss, but is instead part of a side quest chain.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
On a general note, if you want to make Hired Help even more broken by endgame, go to Merry Hills. Go back outside town, up and around to the left and down the ladder.

Change to Night and start a fight with the person there.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Final chapter: IS EVERYONE GOING TO BETRAY ME :kingsley:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Finished Throné's final chapter plus the follow-up sidequest. Also completed several more optional bosses.

Wow. That chapter totally happened. Well, Throné Belmont, I hope your freedom was worth it.

This chapter turning into Castlevania was unexpected, but I kind of like it. When I saw Immortal Claude, I kind of thought: "So this is what would happen if a Belmont turned into a Dracula, huh?". I guess seen from that viewpoint, it's fitting that another Belmont ends up killing him.

And then we had to help prevent Mira from committing suicide. Welp, that was one hosed-up little adventure there, Throné!

On the shaman trial in Khu:

The fourth boss finally went down after I carefully aligned four characters with the ability to do 15-30k damage when fully boosted and buffed, and then hammering down so much damage I got to kill the drat thing before it could go super sonic on our asses.

The fifth boss in comparison, was kind of a lot less evil. The switch between mage/warrior forms was interesting, but most interestingly the nice lady had enough HP my OP-party could go to town on her without super-killing her in one go.

She was just strong enough to force us into a carefully planned dance of buffing/healing/breaking/attacking-phases to keep up the pressure without getting annihilated. Very fun fight!

A weird cave, only reachable by defeating Big Shark (you know the one):

This big, melting dragon thing had a really nasty gimmick. In my rush to test out the tnew shaman-class, I kind of didn't think of bringing more versatility to the table, and near the end I just kind of had to pile on the damage and hope I get this big lizard down even without being able to break his shield.

Another fun fight, and really close! This one was a bit short for an optional dungeon, but the dragon had some nice stuff and was a big, interesting boss fight, so I can't really complain.

Next up: Saving children with Oswald in; Final Fantasy: Oswald

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 13, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Still a little weird that Osvald tells the crew "I gotta do a revengence" and they're like yeah that's fine

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
To be fair I doubt anyone in the party would have a major issue with "I have to find the man who murdered my family and falsely imprisoned me for years".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GloomMouse posted:

Still a little weird that Osvald tells the crew "I gotta do a revengence" and they're like yeah that's fine

Honestly who is going to object? Half of them are out to do a revenge killing and even Partitio and Cassti have openly gone 'sometimes you just gotta gently caress an rear end in a top hat up.'

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Osvald's and Partitio's conversation about coffee being sugared during their last crossed path chapter also confirms Partitio's ready to throw hands money when the time is right.

Thanks everyone for tips and set up for the final boss. I ended up not paying attention and mosied on over to the middle of the ocean not realizing what it meant. I was lucky with getting the old soldier's bow skill for Hikari and especially the Lizard with the double axe attack for Ochette. Realizing I hoarded about 1.8 million leaves, I made Throne a merchant and just used Hired Help twice a turn to demolish everything.

Now to watch someone else beat the super boss on YouTube. Considering I barely beat the story final boss I clearly don't have the deep strats for the secret boss. .

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I got unpleasantly surprised by the epilogue? additional story? boss when they booted my crew for the other four. The other four who had nothing equipped at all. I was so annoyed I turned my Switch off and I haven't gone back to it since. I probably will eventually but that sucked so bad.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chasiubao posted:

I got unpleasantly surprised by the epilogue? additional story? boss when they booted my crew for the other four. The other four who had nothing equipped at all. I was so annoyed I turned my Switch off and I haven't gone back to it since. I probably will eventually but that sucked so bad.

When people ask me, "why are you so obsessed with training and equipping all your characters, no matter the cost?", I tend to show them posts like yours.

In my own run, I'm slowly closing in on the finishing line: All 8/8 stories done, all 4/4 double-stories done, only the final boss and the super-boss remain.

Hidden boss blues 1 (solo):

I certainly did not expect von Karma to moonlight in this game. I went after him with Ochette, with mistakingly thinking he'll be a cakewalk with Ochette at lvl. 64. Turns out he's also a tricky gimmick-boss, but magical girl Ochette (apothecary) managed to finally do it! Though first I died 5 times in a row due to a misunderstanding of von Karma's Karma blade mechanics.

I also used up my last "essence of a diseased dragon" to break his final shield, as I had not thought to bring anything that could break shields, no matter what. (This killed me another two times before I remembered I had one essence left.)

fun fight, but :lol:, there's really no room for error. Waste a turn loving around, and you'll find out.

Hidden boss blues 2: Melty the Dragon

Fun fact: This one nearly managed to wipe me, but I had just enough DPS to power through when I ran out of things to break this thing's shield near the end, just downing it with raw damage.

Afterwards I felt very lucky I kept away from old Melty's hoard the first time I got here (after defeating the big shark guarding the sea entrance), or this one would have wiped me hard.

Melty's hoard was the source of the dragon essence I had to use my last one on von Karma. Luckily, with no further solo-bosses in the game, both of my parties will have at least one person capable of reducing shield points independent of weak points, just in case this gimmick gets repeated.

Edit: Did you know this boss later shows up as a random encounter in his cave! I sure as hell did not! It's like getting a Cait that bites.

Generic sidequest action, after the final chapters:

When I finally did the last story chapter (sorry Agnea), I looked up a guide to see how many sidequests where lift. Turns out every final chapter has at least one new quest attached to one or two important NPCs from their stories (Agnea's even has two, one for each) and I had missed at least half of them!

Then there were some really embarassing misses, like me not understanding that that one guy waiting around was acutally two brothers switching place each time time changes, or that I had completely forgotten the game's very first tutorial quest. Which in turn blocked me from the quest revealing the hidden super-boss. Kind of funny, really.

Another weird thing I've encountered: Just outside Merry Hills, at that weird, empty spot north of the city, there is a group of foreign assassins. They only show up during the night, and if you can manage to beat them in battle, they'll power up your Merchants' Hired Help skill with another, even more expensive option.

The "Foreign Assassins" cost a whopping 50k and do even more damage than the veterans, but they also heal the party. So, at the game's end, when you swim in money, that's very useful to have.

Right now, Thronè is the queen of battle, with 40k damage dropped on Agnea's final boss second form. The game isn't joking around with her speed-based skills, huh?

But with Hikari and Ochette being able to reach similar insane levels, and Weaponsmaster Castti also breaking at least the 30k damage mark naturally, that's at least two very strong damage-dealers per party. (I tend to group my parties into two damage dealers, one hearler, one support.)

That said, of course everxyone can easily drop ca. 36-38k damage when equipping Merchant. so it's not like anyone else is really weaker! :v:

Interestingly, my casters (Oswald and Scholar Agnea) also reached the lofty height of massive damage, it just takes buffing to make their spells multi-hit attacks. That way, I've managed to occasionally reach ranges of 30-40k total damage, on a good day, after heavily buffing and when hitting weak points. I'd probably be able to crank even more damage out of them with a certain warrior-skill, but I feel like someone at least has to be there doing support, too.

Well, except for Oswald. His final chapter unlooked a literal fantasy nuke spell and with a certain ability to half his MP-use in battle, that spell is easily able to trump even my mega-damage dealers under certain conditions. Consequently, he became my only caster who has the more-damage skill equipped.

Finally, the hidden jobs:

I vaguely mentioned Castti above, since she turned out to be the perfect choice for the Weaponsmaster hidden job, and now that I have all the relics, her versatility and damage potential is just terrifying. A literal one-woman army and with her natural healing ability, she's easily a good choice for the solo-boss, too.

Inventor wandered around a bit, but I finally settled on Throné. Obscene damage and versatility? Yes, please!
Especially the Inventor-ability to reload all your latent powers up to full again is worth the job's weight in gold. And coincidentally, after making two parties for the end game, one of the parties ended up slightly stronger than the other, and the weaker one having the power to immediately get all their latent power back is a nice equalizer.

Shaman also had some wandering to do, especially to collect some useful abilities from the job, but at the end it landed on Oswald, simply so he can to some better party-buffing, since he lacks Agnea's latent power to extend his buffs to the entire party. The Shaman-skills are all party-wide, so that fixes that hole.

Arcanist was another job I at first only used to extract some nice abilities from, but it ended up for good on Temenos, since that's the only party member I had left without a wide variety of attack skills. Now he has some more damage capabilities, and some rather unfair special abilities on top of not being forced to be my "back-up merchant".

The hidden jobs all started out in this weird spot where I couldn't really decide what to do with them, but all of them have some nice equipable abilities, so it was still worth it to keep them around. And now, near the end, every hidden job has found its role!

And now, one final push and the game is finished!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 16, 2023

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chasiubao posted:

Yep, that's the part I was saying you'd need all eight characters for.

If it's any consolation, the part where you need to use your "B" team is much shorter, and the fight gets really cool after that, so it's worth seeing through.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Secret boss down and all achievements done. Jesus what a game. The secret boss really is insanely hard unless you follow a very specific strategy. Only way I could manage was following a RNG friendly strat to the letter, the RNG on turn order etc is too brutal otherwise.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Yep, that's the part I was saying you'd need all eight characters for.

If it's any consolation, the part where you need to use your "B" team is much shorter, and the fight gets really cool after that, so it's worth seeing through.

Ironically, I managed to get past that spot, but the phase after that just butchered me. Having to juggle between all eight characters but with still just four commands per turn added enough confusion already, but the additional lock on revives meant the fight spiraled out of control immediately after a lucky hit downed one of the team.

I'm now a bit torn on whether to try again, or to pause for a while to finally start playing Zelda. I don't like leaving a great game unfinished, but I'm also slowly burning out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

Ironically, I managed to get past that spot, but the phase after that just butchered me. Having to juggle between all eight characters but with still just four commands per turn added enough confusion already, but the additional lock on revives meant the fight spiraled out of control immediately after a lucky hit downed one of the team.

I'm now a bit torn on whether to try again, or to pause for a while to finally start playing Zelda. I don't like leaving a great game unfinished, but I'm also slowly burning out.

The thing that makes the second half of the fight a lot easier is that anything that effects your whole party affects your whole party. You could use Sealticge on Hikari and have him use a fully-boosted Divine Protection to make all eight characters invulnerable for a while. You can Sealticge Castti's Remedy and turbo-buff all eight characters, then let the people whose items now affect all allies heal the whole party with jams. Inventor Agnea can full-team Arkhar's Coil to completely revive, refill SP, and max out BP for everyone.

If you make full use of that you'll sail through the fight in no time.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

The thing that makes the second half of the fight a lot easier is that anything that effects your whole party affects your whole party. You could use Sealticge on Hikari and have him use a fully-boosted Divine Protection to make all eight characters invulnerable for a while. You can Sealticge Castti's Remedy and turbo-buff all eight characters, then let the people whose items now affect all allies heal the whole party with jams. Inventor Agnea can full-team Arkhar's Coil to completely revive, refill SP, and max out BP for everyone.

If you make full use of that you'll sail through the fight in no time.

yeah, that's not entirely correct

Yes, I did notice all eight being affected, but in that phase reviving is locked, so mass revives are straight out

If I could revive someone, the fight would go over a lot easier

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Libluini posted:

yeah, that's not entirely correct

Yes, I did notice all eight being affected, but in that phase reviving is locked, so mass revives are straight out

If I could revive someone, the fight would go over a lot easier

It's like similar bosses you've fought before; Break the boss and you regain whatever abilities they're blocking til they're back up. If you have trouble breaking weaknesses, Hire Beastlings and stack up the BP on it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well, I did post several times before that I'm not exactly a good player :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
:lol: I shouldn't have complained so much. A good night's sleep and the final boss is down, on my second attempt.

I leave the super secret double mega boss for later, as it's basically just the final boss, but harder. Time for Zelda!

MVP goes to Partitio, Cleric/Merchant of Party B. His foreign assassins hauled my rear end out of the fire twice, both times by dropping shitloads of damage while healing my party out of the trouble zone.

Secondary MVP goes to Castti, second in DPS dropped on the boss and thanks to the boss constantly punching her so often her latent power was almost always full, also supplying the entire party (of 8 in phase two, :lol: ) with boost points. Shield points go down fast if everyone can just hit a weakness 4x times in a row!

Since this time, I knew what was coming, I used the short reprieve after ending Phase B-1 to revive all my dead party members before Phase B-2 entered the room and Vide just declared "no revives for you" (and despite an earlier poster claiming this, breaking Vide again did not make this seal stop. It's just that at this point, you've burned through at least 75% of Vide's HP, so it's simply an endurance race after that point.)

At one point Agnea suddenly died to all of the final boss attacks landing on her, all at once, but I had given her the cleric-ability to auto-revive one time per battle, and it triggered. As I needed her a couple times afterwards for some emergency item drops and elemental shield breaking, I'm fairly sure this one death could have unraveled my entire second attempt into a massive cascade failure.

My main reasons for success however, were mainly due to now knowing the weaknesses and to me finally learning to ruthlessly exploit the fact that most of the boss attacks can't harm the party currently inactive. In fact, it's quite amazing what a difference it made not wasting tons of turns on trying to figure out weaknesses!

Most amazing fact of this battle: While Oswald's new neutral Mega-Magic did tons of damage, like expected, Temenos' "all MP for massive damage"-skill turned out to be a dud. Or at least, that one specific time I used the skill with massive boosting, it didn't even reach the 9999-barrier. Disappointing!

Second most amazing fact: I went in believing I would abuse Oswald's secondary shaman powers a lot, but then there was never a free turn where I could safely use any of the shaman-specific powers. Also, Oswald spend a lot of time being dead, which contributed to him turning into a second, less useful Agnea. On the other hand, until most of his offensive skills were blocked because the Arcanist's main damage spells count as "healing", Temenos dropped fantasy nukes and fantasy lasers all over the place. (In fact, if it weren't't for the final phases of Vide going absolutely nuts with damage, he'd have ended up using his arcanist skills more often than his natural cleric-skills. :v: )

Welp, anyway! That was a fun, but rather hard boss. Luckily, actually playing the game instead of randomly hammering my meaty fists on the buttons of my Switch worked out in the end!

That gate-abomination can wait until Octopath III drops, though. I'll clean the fucker up then in preparation for playng the third game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

:lol: I shouldn't have complained so much. A good night's sleep and the final boss is down, on my second attempt.

:hfive:

Glad you got it down, the epilogue is worth it

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Anybody have suggestions for how to use Agnea and Throne? They have been the black sheep of my party. I'm around level 24 right now, Ochette as party leader.

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

For Agnea, use Ruinous Kick to break enemies then buff your best damage dealer with Lion Dance or Peacock Strut. Her latent is really good paired with Cleric abilities as well.

Throne was my main character and I had her as Inventor almost the whole time. HP Thief is really good for breaking dagger weak enemies, Armor Corrosive is great on broken enemies, and Aebers Reckoning can get up to huge damage. Give her lots of speed equipment then pop her latent to debuff and then Aebers right after each other.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At some point I realized all characters with high magic defense are good healers, so over time, Partitio evolved into my back-up cleric for the times when Temenos needed a well-deserved rest

Agnea has high magic attack, so she became the scholar to replace Oswald, when needed. This works out really well because you can get a piece of equipment later that buffs fire+wind attacks. Combine this with Scholar Agnea and her wind AOE suddenly ends encounters before they can really start.

And since the same wind spell makes the party act first in the following turn, you essentially get two turns at the start of every battle.

Until Oswald got his final story skill, Agnea turned out to be a better scholar than Oswald himself! :v:

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
Agnea made for a very good scholar when I needed backup magic attacks or more chances to use Observe. Thief added only one weapon but she's almost as quick as Throne if you really need more knife techniques. Not a bad Cleric with all of the buffs that job class offers. Angea was bonkers towards the end of the game, when I finally got the Conjuror.

Throne was my favorite alternate healer, especially as an Apothecary. I used her speed to get some quick heals in and double up on Poison Axe with her latent. I agree she's an amazing Inventor by using her latent to fix contraptions. She was a cute Hunter :3:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never used Throne as an Inventor mostly because I didn't usually have battles last long enough that I needed to use most inventions more than once. But being able to use her latent to start crafting if you do need that is really good, and in general she's great with a support secondary because she can use her latent to both support and attack in the same turn.

I also used her with Warrior, Hunter, and Armsmaster a bunch before I got Aeber's Reckoning so she could have a wider variety of strong attacks.

Thirding or fourthing or whatever Scholar Agnea. Like Primrose before her she has great elemental attack so she makes an excellent Scholar. Plus her Windy Refrain is one of the best spells in the game, so making that stronger is always good. I also liked Inventor Agnea for using her latent to multi-target things like Arkhar's Coil without having to use Sealticge first, and also because she looks great in the Inventor outfit.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
That info is very helpful, thanks. Finally picked up the Scholar job so I'll probably go with that. Spent a little time with Agnea as a Cleric and she nuked enerything with Luminescence, I can see how Scholar will be be even better thanks to diversity of elements.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I also like how Agnea is alsways going "I'm sooorrrryyy!!!" every time she nukes a group with a spell. :allears:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I DID IT :toot: Man the foreign assassins are some hot bullshit huh :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Agnea has great nuking stats, just saddled with a main job that's very poor for it.

(It's not all bad since she can run a very powerful wind magic build because of it though.)

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I can’t decide who my Conjurer should be. I had it on Agnea for that last boss, so she could sling the magic buffs and cast her wind bullshit, but I’m not sure if that was the best job on her. I’ve tried Sorcerer on her but it doesn’t feel like a great fit.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finished the game this morning, absolutely adored it. Just a great series of job systems that you can really bite your teeth into.

I understand most of the endgame plot but I was hoping for some clarification on The Book of Night. The Moonshade Order needs all these pieces for their Vide scheming, but it seems like the Book of Night has some sort of corruptible influence. Do we know what's actually in it? I remember Ori's Journal noting that they probably didn't need it for Harvey and Claude complaining that it didn't work on Castti. I'm mainly interested in what that information tells us about Castti, who was one of my main faves by the end.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Nerdietalk posted:

Finished the game this morning, absolutely adored it. Just a great series of job systems that you can really bite your teeth into.

I understand most of the endgame plot but I was hoping for some clarification on The Book of Night. The Moonshade Order needs all these pieces for their Vide scheming, but it seems like the Book of Night has some sort of corruptible influence. Do we know what's actually in it? I remember Ori's Journal noting that they probably didn't need it for Harvey and Claude complaining that it didn't work on Castti. I'm mainly interested in what that information tells us about Castti, who was one of my main faves by the end.

It's left kinda vague. It's said the book contains records of the darkest events of human history but it's hard to say whether it has any sort of magical corrupting influence or not. Trousseau's psyche basically shatters entirely after reading it, Castti reads it and just kinda shrugs it off, and Tanzy doesn't seem super affected by it as her blind devotion to Arcanette is the huge guiding force in her own path. And of course Harvey was already a giant bastard so it didn't particularly matter that he read it.

My inclination is to say it doesn't have any magical corrupting quality to it, Trousseau was just supremely traumatized by failing to save his sister and thus handing him a book full of disturbing traumatic human history was going to inevitably shatter him.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOAfSxHYx3M

Came across this today, it's a nice compilation of every character's themes. It's really tempting me to start another playthrough soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just started playing through this and concentrating on getting all the characters. It seems like the game strongly encourages specific parties to cover all paths but I've read that I'll need to level up all characters.

Can I just have my A team and occasionally rotate in/switch to the B team? Or do I really need to focus on level parity? Seems like a pain.

Anything I should focus on first, aside from getting everyone through their chapter 1?