Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Bimmi posted:

Wapsi is incomprehensible pseudo-mystical mush

The one redeeming association I have with Wapsi Square is it's how I pulled "Olmec" out of my brain at trivia once.

Interestingly this is a valid Mexican postal code, approximately where the Olmec civilization was!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

former site of THE SHRINE OF THE SILVER MONKEY

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Now I've only started reading Demons of Baseball a while ago, but what's the context between Planck and this lady and her husband? Like, does the glasses guy mistreat her or anything terrible? Because without any clues, it kinda seems like this woman hates her husband for no good reason and wants to jump the bones of Planck, despite only going out with him the one time right before he got dragged into some weird baseball cult.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they were friends when they were little kids which is legally Ultra Marriage and the deepest commitment possible for two humans

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

amigolupus posted:

Now I've only started reading Demons of Baseball a while ago, but what's the context between Planck and this lady and her husband? Like, does the glasses guy mistreat her or anything terrible? Because without any clues, it kinda seems like this woman hates her husband for no good reason and wants to jump the bones of Planck, despite only going out with him the one time right before he got dragged into some weird baseball cult.

Her husband is a colossal rear end in a top hat who only thinks about how good he is at baseball and how he can remain the best at baseball. She married him because Planck was gone for two years training in baseball hell and couldn't write a letter.

Edit: He is a very hateable douchebag who also cheated on her.

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 12, 2023

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Maggie and Planck were buds growing up, but Maggie's mom didn't approve of him because he was poor. She much preferred Maggie date Copper, who even back then was a huge piece of poo poo who treated her like garbage and cheated on her and stuff.

Some other stuff happened like Planck's dad getting hit by a car and dying Maggie dumping Copper and Planck loving up his arm from pitching too awesome and Maggie and Planck falling in love and getting engaged. Then Planck had to go to some island for "training," but it turned out to be a hell island run by a baseball-obsessed psycho and he had to do physical and psychological torture for a few years and he wasn't allowed to write to Maggie or even be like, "This is my last letter they won't let me write you more, but I'm still interested okay?"

So obviously when Maggie's fiance leaves for literal years and she never hears anything from him at all she thinks he's dead or dumped her or something. Meanwhile Copper is in the big leagues now and he goes on loving TV and is like, "I'M loving IN LOVE WITH MAGGIE AND IF I BEAT THIS REALLY HARD BASEBALL RECORD IT WILL PROVE MY LOVE AND SHE WILL HAVE TO MARRY ME THIS IS LEGALLY BINDING IN KOREA, APPARENTLY." So he does, and she does even though she hates his loving guts and he still treats her like poo poo.

Eventually Planck gets to come back home with his teammates and his hell training made him absolutely nightmarishly good at baseball and he's like, "Cool, so now Maggie and I can get married, right?" But no. They cannot. And it is awkward.

There was this weird thing also where Maggie's sister tried to get with Planck and they went on a couple of dates and she was sure it was love and they'd get married and she was a real poo poo to Maggie about it, but then it turned out that Planck was just super crazy from all the psychological torture on Hell Baseball Island and thought she was Maggie and when the truth came out it was REALLY awkward. So that should catch you up.

Oh, also don't forget that Maggie's been crying buckets through this whole thing. I don't know if I'd recognize her if she appeared in the strip without the tear streaks all down her face.

Luann

I'm not the pheasant plucker. I'm the pheasant plucker's son. I'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Do you get a lot of angler fish in gross ponds behind peoples' houses?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Thanks for the explanation of Demons of Baseball, everyone. :shobon: It sounds insane and melodramatic in a good way so I may have to read it from the start.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Today’s comic: The Reason Miss Haru Doesn’t Get Drunk

Cthulhu and Girl

OK, so here’s Q-Rais’ latest monthly offering (since he seems to have given up on Um Bread, sadly): Bardiche Hotel
Chapter 1: Shumai

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

I wonder if "I can drive the shift out of a stick!" was a step too far for his editors lol.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Puppet Master

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/17/50

Archie 5/12-14/47

Wait, so Riverdale is in New England ski country but it's also reachable by ferry from Hoboken? It's like trying to figure out where Springfield really is.

Isn't it great how Archie immediately jumps to the wrongest possible conclusions every time someone quotes prices to him?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The MBTI Is Pseudoscience Horseshit

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Selachian posted:

Wait, so Riverdale is in New England ski country but it's also reachable by ferry from Hoboken? It's like trying to figure out where Springfield really is.

You can (theoretically) take a ferry up the Hudson all the way to Albany!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

amigolupus posted:

Thanks for the explanation of Demons of Baseball, everyone. :shobon: It sounds insane and melodramatic in a good way so I may have to read it from the start.

It absolutely is. Everyone is at 100% emotional intensity in every panel and it rules.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Really generous of the agent to work for free

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

$7.50 in 1947 is $102 today. Going rate seems to be in the range of $300-500 now for an hour set, so while $7.50 is probably low, $750 would be extremely high for someone who isn't an actual name.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Viva la Mexico!
http://www.zipcodecountry.com/usapostalcode/69420,OAX,Mexico#.ZF7PvXbMKM8

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

The general joke comes across, I think, but these speech bubbles had a surprising amount of small hard-to-translate nuances.

ANSU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dana Simpson appeared in todays Jumble

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

manero posted:

Pluggers

:sigh: I confess.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (December 24-26, 1923)

A dandy bonus from the Xmas Day 1923 sports page, just to show you that snappy lingo wasn't just restricted to boarding house wiseasses.

Toonerville Folks (February 24-26, 1921)

Just putting out a feeler here, but if anyone thinks these Eppie gags need a modesty curtain of some sort, please don't hesitate to speak up, because this particular strain of shenanigans keeps going for the next twenty or thirty years.

Another bonus: Because Newspapers.com tossed me a free weekend, I found some new bits of the Fontaine Fox fossil record.

(Chicago Post (via St. Louis Star), March 23, 1913)

If anyone can find a source for the Chicago Evening Post that isn't the one that shut down in the 1870s (the run we're looking for is 1890-1932), we could open up a whole new Foxology dig site.

Dok's Dippy Rarebit Fiend (September 26, 1914)

Little Lefty (July 7-9, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 13, 2023

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I am so glad Jucika is back

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Retail

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Hostile V posted:

The MBTI Is Pseudoscience Horseshit

Of loving course K&K/Holbrook goes all in on this poo poo. I hate it! I HATE!

A strip where, apropos of nothing, the punchline is "Dustin is such a little cuck bitch beta poo poo." Ziggy doesn't have the level of contempt for its titular character that Dustin does...and the conceit of Ziggy is "He's a loser."

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (June 08-09, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 13, 2023

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Why does she look like she's about to throw herself into traffic over this? :confused:

Crabgrass

Peanuts Through the Ages (Oct 13-14, 1950)

Calvin and Hobbes (Jun 2-3, 1993)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Gonna do the Dunce Christmas full page comic because it's up for free on his social media and why not.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

readingatwork posted:

Why does she look like she's about to throw herself into traffic over this? :confused:
Given my understanding of that comic that's her reaction to everything, no matter how minor or major it actually is.

Then she'll try to blame it on the nearest child.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

OK so in Finnish, the term for Volunteer Fire Department is "Free Fire Department", not in the sense of costing nothing, but as a shortened form of "Vapaaehtoinen palokunta", "Volunteer Fire Department", so it's kind of ... "The Fire Department of the Free-Willing Firemen" kinda thing.

It might be the same in the United States and elsewhere, but at least here in rural areas they work kind of like military reserves. People sign up for them, get training courses, and then do a rotation where they act as firemen and hang out at the fire station after work etc. Makes sense, if your house is burning down you don't want to wait for a fire department from a city 50 - 200 kilometers away to get to you -- which they of course never even would because they need to be in the city, so at that point even not as good volunteers are better than nothing.

A couple of my childhood friends did volunteer fire fighting as a hobby and they were in very good shape and not at all terribly burned to a crisp so it seemed like a good time.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 13, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Eh... The Aunt Eppie strips I reckon I'd be ok with them either being spoiler'd or not - whatever makes you feel most comfortable. I reckon if I lean towards one over the other, it's them being spoiler'd.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

readingatwork posted:

The guilt of feeling like a bad mom. Also, some parents are quite obsessed about their child's hair.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If a child has bad hair it reflects poorly on the parent and that's awful for the parent?

I really enjoy the facial expressions in Garfield. CLONK!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Kennel posted:

The guilt of feeling like a bad mom. Also, some parents are quite obsessed about their child's hair.

Also, the author/artist of foob has been documented as a good ol' 1970s style child abuser who once threw her toddler out in the freezing canadian winter and locked the door before her "guardian angel" told her to bring the child in from the multiple digits below zero weather.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kennel posted:

My father wanted my sister to have long hair when she was little. It played out pretty much as the strip.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Just putting out a feeler here, but if anyone thinks these Eppie gags need a modesty curtain of some sort, please don't hesitate to speak up, because this particular strain of shenanigans keeps going for the next twenty or thirty years.

Do whatever you feel you need to. They don't really rise to the same level as the racist stuff but they can be a little uncomfortable. I have a bad habit of interpreting things in the best possible light when it's not really warranted, so early on I was of the mind that the Aunt Eppie strips didn't necessarily feel mean spirited toward the character, but I've come to my senses about that.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 24, 1957)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Now surely you've learned your lesson to childproof your home so your kid doesn't get her hands on scissors or chemicals under the sink, right? Right???