Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

The system of items transferring between the three games has always been interesting to me because it is so much more convoluted than it should be. Did they really think it was going to be too overpowered if you let a character bring in like a chain mail +2 AND a helmet +1 or whatever some of those either/or choices were

I agree with that. If you really wanted to, you could just cheese-kill the Guarded Compound and get an extremely over-powered weapon more or less straight out of the gate. Um, pardon.

But at the same time, it's fun to find Ashideena in a dungeon where it has no business being. Did Irenicus teleport it there? What happened? But it's an old pal, even if it stops being all that useful fairly soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
In the original game, it was one suit of armour and one 'accessory' item, arranged by priority; e.g., if you had the Helm of Balduran and the Claw of Kazgaroth in your inventory, the Claw would be imported rather than the Helm. In OG BG2, if you didn't have anything on the list, the game would give you +2 chainmail and the Helm of Balduran, so you never actually missed out on anything. The Enhanced Edition adds a weapon to one of the tables in Irenicus' dungeon that AFAICT is either imported from your character or chosen based on your proficiencies, and I believe there's a few Siege of Dragonspear items that will be imported into BG2's world if you have them in your inventory.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Honestly most of the SOD items that do import aren't super worth fussing about, but there's a few items that are really nice.

Bard Hat and Archer's Eyes are probably the two best items that import as they remain great even in bg2. Helm of Dumathoin is not bad either if you're stacking a bunch of physical resist as a Barb or Dwarven Defender

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The items also need to not be in containers when you import them. Cool item in your bag of holding? Doesn’t transfer.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well yeah, if it’s so cool why aren’t you using it?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I might need it later!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Shame Boy posted:

I might need it later!

I've posted this shameful image before, but

This is not necessary in these games, but I can't stop doing it

I also haven't actually used any of those wands, but I have to keep them because and :argh:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Rappaport posted:

I've posted this shameful image before, but

This is not necessary in these games, but I can't stop doing it

I also haven't actually used any of those wands, but I have to keep them because and :argh:
Hey, you never know, your level 12 Robe of Vecna-clad mage might need those 150 fireballs in the next fight!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I adore those Wands of Frost. They have an AoE ability, but I really like the single-target damage spell that they have because it's party-friendly. AoE spells are good in the right context, but a lot of battles boil down to a grand melee where dropping an AoE means hitting a lot of teammates.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Wands of lightning are one of the best items in the game. Amazingly useful wand. The BG1 version is trash though only the BG2 one is good.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I kept believing I could find a way to make a wand of lightning useful in 1. If there is something vulnerable to electricity then I think I tried that. Or maybe I just used it repeatedly in a hallway? Still awful of course. I did laugh when I realized I use Aganazzar's Scorcher more than Fireball from those wands though, always looking for a tactical way to hit one jerk it seems

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Wand of lightning is how I get rid of Karoug / Mendas / that other loup garou if I have no other means to hurt them (solo F/M/C for example)

Drink a potion of absorption , go in a tiny room (make sure they follow) and spam the wand.

Suspicious fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 9, 2023

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Flowing Thot posted:

Wands of lightning are one of the best items in the game. Amazingly useful wand. The BG1 version is trash though only the BG2 one is good.

How do they differ between the two games? I remember the one in BG1 being a Rod of Sparking Suicide, but I haven't played BG2 in so long that I don't recall any difference.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

The trick to wand of lighting in 2 is 2 fold. It has no maximum range. If you have sight you can target something completely on the other side of the map. This is fine but not really that amazing. The big part of is the exploit involved, it fires 6 bolts and has you target 6 things. You can't target the same creature 6 times, but you can swap between 2 different creatures back and forth 3 to each. So far so good, queue them up, open your inventory, swap it for a different item. That item gets used 6 times but only uses a single charge. You can fire off 6 fireballs at once instead.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I thought the EEs got rid of the swapping an item being used thing doing crazy poo poo, like "oh I just drank this gem, integer overflow tells me I have 65 thousand of them now" type hi-jinks.

Of course as per the screenshot, I don't really experiment a lot with my wands, and it seems easier to just have someone go beat my enemies to death, or Edwin doing some crazy magic out of his spellbook.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Flowing Thot posted:

The trick to wand of lighting in 2 is 2 fold. It has no maximum range. If you have sight you can target something completely on the other side of the map. This is fine but not really that amazing. The big part of is the exploit involved, it fires 6 bolts and has you target 6 things. You can't target the same creature 6 times, but you can swap between 2 different creatures back and forth 3 to each. So far so good, queue them up, open your inventory, swap it for a different item. That item gets used 6 times but only uses a single charge. You can fire off 6 fireballs at once instead.

You can fire a lightning bolt from across the map, or you can target an enemy from across the map and then your character runs up and launches the bolt? Because I did not know that if it's the former.

I also didn't know you could target 6 enemies with the wand of lightning. It's a wand of chain lightning?

I thought I knew these games, but I keep learning.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Regarding the SoD items, there's a mod that lets you import more of them into bg2, like the acid sword, vampire sword and demon helmet.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

rojay posted:

You can fire a lightning bolt from across the map, or you can target an enemy from across the map and then your character runs up and launches the bolt? Because I did not know that if it's the former.

I also didn't know you could target 6 enemies with the wand of lightning. It's a wand of chain lightning?

I thought I knew these games, but I keep learning.

The former. As to the second question? I don't think so, but I've never actually fired the lightning bolt because I'm not suicidal.

Rappaport posted:

I thought the EEs got rid of the swapping an item being used thing doing crazy poo poo, like "oh I just drank this gem, integer overflow tells me I have 65 thousand of them now" type hi-jinks.

Of course as per the screenshot, I don't really experiment a lot with my wands, and it seems easier to just have someone go beat my enemies to death, or Edwin doing some crazy magic out of his spellbook.

Maybe, but it still works on the latest patch.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Its been a while since I've played these games and I've forgotten a detail. I have three active companion quests right now in BG2 and I think they're time sensitive. Anomen, Aerie, and Minsc. How far in each of their quests do I need to go so I am not in danger of them leaving? Anomen just spoke to the person at the Council of Six building about his sister's murder, Aerie wants to talk to someone at the bridge, and Minsc wants us to go be heroes in some town on the world map.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
For Minsc at least you just have to go to the town and talk to the mayor IIRC and then you can leave and come back and complete at your leisure. It's a couple days travel both ways so it might gently caress with the other two.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Minsc's and Aerie's are not time sensitive. They'll periodically whine but won't outright leave the party.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Suspicious posted:

Minsc's and Aerie's are not time sensitive. They'll periodically whine but won't outright leave the party.

Does Aerie ever not whine?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

After you dump her for someone else less annoying.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
To be fair, she does harden up and call you an absolute bastard if you knock her up in TOB and then kick her out of the party when the baby is born.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dillbag posted:

To be fair, she does harden up and call you an absolute bastard if you knock her up in TOB and then kick her out of the party when the baby is born.

Can you blame her?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
She shouldn’t have named my son „Quayle”.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Aerie has some explaining to do.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
If you don't romance her (don't romance NPCs, kids) the only time Aerie really breaks down is when you get to the Underdark. Her whining is otherwise very intermittent white noise and far less annoying than evil NPCs complaining about high reputation.

You have 18 INT, Edwin. You are one of the smartest people to have lived and that will ever live. You can't see the value of having a high reputation? You really think the 200 gold pieces I gave to the slave girl will eat a hole in our budget of hundreds of thousands of coins?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I’ve never romanced in any of these games because it seems creepy as hell

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I haven't actually finished the romance, but Jaehiera's isn't too bad for a depiction of two people with shared trauma finding comfort in each other's arms.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

My first playthrough of BG2 I had a Paladin, and Viconia kept asking to gently caress me so middle school me did says yes the second time. This led to an awkward moment when Viconia mentioned we were banging when my dad was watching me play. Anyway, Bioware Romances are always cringe, but sometimes their hilariously cringe, so they're usually worth doing.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

If you don't romance her (don't romance NPCs, kids) the only time Aerie really breaks down is when you get to the Underdark. Her whining is otherwise very intermittent white noise and far less annoying than evil NPCs complaining about high reputation.

You have 18 INT, Edwin. You are one of the smartest people to have lived and that will ever live. You can't see the value of having a high reputation? You really think the 200 gold pieces I gave to the slave girl will eat a hole in our budget of hundreds of thousands of coins?

Reputation is one of the dumber components in BG and I don't mind modding that out, (the good/evil leaving over rep limits part) even during Ironman runs.

It's not terribly hard to manage even if you want to but it's just silly that they'd care.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yeah, evil people should be overjoyed that we have a good rep, it means no one is noticing all the breaking and entering.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's sort of funny to reverse their polarities, and have Edwin bitch at you until reputation 19, and then he's happy as a Thayvian in... Well I don't actually want to know.

Game-mechanics-wise, it's stupid as all hell that the reputation mechanic works like that and it doesn't really even do anything useful! You get plenty enough gold anyway, who would care?

Okay I am sort of under-cutting my previous post about hoarding poo poo for the sake of hoarding poo poo, but gold in BG2 just doesn't push that button for me. Now, having 50 charges on a wand of fire, well, that's a horse wand of a different colour. Apparently! But mechanics-wise, gold becomes meaningless pretty fast. And that's the only good thing about reputation that I can think of. You get a positive bonus for your reaction? That has minimal benefits in either game as far as I can tell.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 13, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

A few dialogues and quest outcomes rely on reaction, but it's all pretty minor. At least in BG1 not sure any do in BG2.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rappaport posted:

It's sort of funny to reverse their polarities, and have Edwin bitch at you until reputation 19, and then he's happy as a Thayvian in... Well I don't actually want to know.

In Thay. What? It doesn't all have to be weird or gross poo poo you know. People can just be happy to live where they are used to, just like the pigs in mud.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
And really, can you imagine a Thayvian being happy anywhere else?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It has always struck me as exceptionally unusual when the characters that designers allow you to have romantic interactions with are actually the characters you like and want to spend more time interacting with. I think literally the only overlap for me was Jack in Mass Effect 2, even if this was a little outside my general preference to not date mass murderers (then again, all game protagonists are mass killers of some sort). I can fix her

But for Infinity engine games, bleh. I am playing a she-Bhaalspawn on my current runthrough so clearly I should be trying to roleplay her potential interests, but I am surely going to end up hating Anomen even more than usual if he is flirting with me

You probably cannot have a baby as a Bhaalady though huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

You probably cannot have a baby as a Bhaalady though huh

Why not? I mean, I know there's no in game mechanic for it (thank god), but why would the child of Bhaal be barren?