Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A lot of people naturally assume that "ethical treatment" does not include murder. The fools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The issue with PETA's shelters wasn't that they euthanized some animals. Unless they are explicitly a "no kill" shelter, many shelters do euthanize animals.

The problem with PETA's shelters was that a typical animal shelter has a 10% euthanization rate. That 10% is generally very elderly or sick animals.

PETA had a large network of shelters, and this was not happening at every shelter, but 3 or 4 of PETA's shelters in New York and Virginia had 96% and 99% euthanization rates. The issue wasn't that they were euthanizing animals at all, it's that they were euthanizing almost every animal that came in.

The one in Virginia eventually got shut down after the AKC and Veterinary Medical Association called it out.

quote:

AKC and VVMA Express Outrage at PETA Approach to Euthanasia in Animal Shelter

The American Kennel Club® (AKC) and the Virginia Veterinary Medical Association (VVMA) have today issued statements to highlight their vehement disapproval of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)’s apparent policy of euthanizing animals frequently at its shelter in Norfolk, VA. Furthermore, the AKC has called for the PETA shelter to take steps towards balancing its adoption and euthanasia rates for dogs and cats in its shelter.

“While most shelters strive for a 90% re-homing rate, PETA is apparently proud of their 99% killing rate and callously boasts that the animals it rescues are ‘better off dead’. That is an alarming ratio that should be fully investigated. PETA’s track record is absolutely unacceptable,” said AKC Chairman Alan Kalter. “Legitimate animal shelters in America re-home most of their sheltered animals. If some of Michael Vick’s fighting dogs can be rehabilitated and re-homed then PETA can – and should – do better. If they cannot – or will not – then they should leave sheltering to others.”

“Re-homing a dog is not always the easiest but it is AKC’s preferred route. PETA’s apparent lack of commitment to re-homing is hypocritical. Our experience, through AKC clubs’ rescue network, proves that a rescued dog can often thrive if given the much-needed love, medical care, rehabilitation and responsible placement into a new home. AKC is disgusted that euthanasia is seemingly so easily employed by PETA.”

“While it is true that some animals at shelters are too physically injured or psychologically scarred to be adoptable, many of them can be successfully treated, rehabilitated and adopted, said VVMA President, Mark Finkler, D.V.M. “Veterinarians throughout Virginia work with numerous shelters and rescue groups to assist in the care of these dogs and cats. It is disappointing to hear that PETA has a different philosophy regarding the handling of these abandoned and unwanted pets.”

https://www.akc.org/press-center/articles-resources/akc-vvma-express-outrage-peta-approach-euthanasia-animal-shelter/

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Mooseontheloose posted:

From my brief foray into energy policy (and too agree) hydrogen is not cheap to make yet. Last I read natural gas providers are the closest to making hydrogen somewhat affordable via pyrolysis. And there is no storage infrastructure for Hydrogen either. As Cat pointed out batteries have advanced a lot but a lot of what the BIF/IRA legislation does is ramp up production of battery production and supply chain production to move to electrification.
Oh yeah. The vast majority of hydrogen, even that used by the small number of hydrogen vehicles in existence, is cracked from natural gas. Oil companies have been really trying to push a lot of "green" hydrogen nonsense as a way to delay the phaseout of fossile fuels.

https://www.power-eng.com/gas/big-oils-interest-in-hydrogen-boon-or-bane/

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The issue with PETA's shelters wasn't that they euthanized some animals. Unless they are explicitly a "no kill" shelter, many shelters do euthanize animals.

The problem with PETA's shelters was that a typical animal shelter has a 10% euthanization rate. That 10% is generally very elderly or sick animals.

PETA had a large network of shelters, and this was not happening at every shelter, but 3 or 4 of PETA's shelters in New York and Virginia had 96% and 99% euthanization rates. The issue wasn't that they were euthanizing animals at all, it's that they were euthanizing almost every animal that came in.

The one in Virginia eventually got shut down after the AKC and Veterinary Medical Association called it out.

https://www.akc.org/press-center/articles-resources/akc-vvma-express-outrage-peta-approach-euthanasia-animal-shelter/
PETA is ideologically opposed to pets (having a dog is akin to slavery), so in their twisted logic it can actually be more ethical to just kill them instead of consigning them to a lifetime of slavery/belly rubs.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
and yet years ago (or maybe even still? Is she still in leadership? does medical science still get it from animals?), one of PETA's top leaders used insulin derived from animal.

the only moral animal derived mdecinie is mine, gently caress you got mine.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

cat botherer posted:

PETA is ideologically opposed to pets (having a dog is akin to slavery), so in their twisted logic it can actually be more ethical to just kill them instead of consigning them to a lifetime of slavery/belly rubs.

Dogs and humans have literally evolved alongside each other for something like 20,000-40,000 years. Domestication is the natural state of dogs.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Adenoid Dan posted:

Dogs and humans have literally evolved alongside each other for something like 20,000-40,000 years. Domestication is the natural state of dogs.

PETA's more of a L. Ron Hubbard-style grift cult than a legitimate organization at this point.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Adenoid Dan posted:

Logic doesn't work on radicalized people.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Adenoid Dan posted:

Well yeah, that's why they're killing them

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
might as well get the other major parts of the trio, but isnt Greenpeace and Seashpard also as nicely stated above "L. Ron Hubbard-style grift cults"

like they had a tiny atom of good idea, but their core founders were rich people with ego problems.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
PETAs stance, as I understand it, is and always has been focused on opposition to the unnecessary exploitation of animals, especially industrialized exploitation for profit, with the explicit except of when it is necessary for human survival

Maybe I'm missing something but that would usually mean an opposition to pets in general, although I'm sure it's not a uniform opinion across the org.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
To be fair to PETA, it was only 3 or 4 of their shelters that were killing nearly all of the animals. They have many across the country that were not killing all of them (although, they apparently have above-average kill rates).

And their leader was diabetic and using insulin developed from animal testing, but even if I was against animal testing I wouldn't just die to prove a point because animal testing 20 years ago led to the medicine I was using today.

As someone that fosters old and sick dogs (who are rarely adopted, so they effectively become our dogs 90% of the time), I am not a fan of PETA in general. But, I don't think they were necessarily being hypocrites by not killing themselves over previous animal testing or that all of their shelters were explicitly ideological death factories.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've heard enough horror stories about PETA (and also considering how gleefully sadistic their "game parodies" tend to be) that I'm convinced that the majority of their staff are the sadists who grew up hurting animals and weren't allowed to work at actual pet shelters. Just stuff about poor living conditions for their animals in addition to their ridiculously high kill rate.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Peta was a fringe organization that evolved into a big tent org that houses everything from eco-terrorists to bog standard anti-cruelty types to philosophical vegans. It still does a lot of bad but the average person who loves animals signing up for their newsletter is largely ignorant of that, and the degree to which the latter outnumber the former (and steer the overall purpose of the org) sounds like it's up for debate.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol when da ALGO of netflix or whatever boost a anti PETA doc and a bunch of ignorant people go "waaaaaaa i some how never knew about this thing thats like the 2nd search engine entry or under Wikipedia's 'controversies' section "

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nerox
May 20, 2001

forbidden dialectics posted:

There are much simpler, cheaper, and less potentially explosive ways to do this. For example, you can pump water from a reservoir at low elevation to one at higher elevation. When you want to generate that back into electricity, you have a turbine on the outlet of the higher elevation reservoir that the water flows through back into the lower elevation reservoir. There are numerous other grid-scale systems like this.

Here is a pretty cool video about one of these in England.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jx_bJgIFhI

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I don't know if it's a universally agreed upon bar but the humane society no kill standard isn't STRICTLY no kill, but the exceptions are sensical and rare: an animal that straight up will never have any quality of life again, or an animal that is so untreatably aggressive that it's a danger to any humans it interacts with. The one I know best makes expensive heroic efforts to resolve... well, both, but especially the medical treatment side. I don't know they've ever euthanized a cat for aggression in my whole time knowing them, we have a very successful barn cat program where demon cats can just gently caress around outside forever. Sadly a couple dogs get it every year because apparently we have some problems with loving dogfight rings and they psychologically destroy the dogs.

The two things about it are that you need to really stand by your commitment to treatment rather than euthanization if possible, and no euthanizations for capacity period full stop no exceptions. This shelter partners with a bunch of others (particularly in the north where rescue numbers go
... down a bit... in the winter) where a full shelter can ship pets to a trustworthy empty shelter.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

cat botherer posted:

Oh yeah. The vast majority of hydrogen, even that used by the small number of hydrogen vehicles in existence, is cracked from natural gas. Oil companies have been really trying to push a lot of "green" hydrogen nonsense as a way to delay the phaseout of fossile fuels.

https://www.power-eng.com/gas/big-oils-interest-in-hydrogen-boon-or-bane/

I mean just to be clear, you can make hydrogen with clean energy. A lot of EV proponents will claim that’s it’s significantly less efficient than just charging an EV with the energy you would’ve used to create the hydrogen and they’d be right but there’s a ton of advantages with hydrogen like instant refueling.

Batteries aren’t going to be the only solution, there’s cases where energy density can’t realistically be met by batteries (yet). If we get significant improvements in hydrogen storage (and that’s a big if) it’ll be a big win for moving away from fossil fuels.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This feels like a parody

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1657123074729463808?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Somehow this man thinks he will still get to be president some day

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

cat botherer posted:

I’m not a PETA fan, but their ideologies aren’t anywhere near this stupid: https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/

Kalit fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 12, 2023

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like a parody

https://twitter.com/iwriteok/status/1657123074729463808?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Come on, that can't be real.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like a parody

Imagine what the cover picture options he rejected look like.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like a parody

That looks like Gordon Freeman's brother

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Gyges posted:

Imagine what the cover picture options he rejected look like.

He went with "are we the baddies?"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A real man would know how to insert his dentures properly

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Name Change posted:

it ain't as far as i can tell. on phone so too much of a pain in the rear end to upload pic, but a quick search showed it as a blank red cover with the giant title. very plain looking

edit: yeah, that one up above

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like a parody
:yeeclaw:
"endorsed by a rimmer"

come on. come ON!

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Name Change posted:

Even if it was, lighting someone up for not having traditional masculine qualities kind of sucks.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Even if it was, lighting someone up for not having traditional masculine qualities kind of sucks.

He is appealing to those masculine qualities. Hypocrisy is nearly always fair game.

Anyway the most obvious one is that treason isn’t generally considered among the traditional masculine virtues.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The most famous republican overthrow was the man est of man’s men right fr a ten year war of conquest vs perfumed old guys and writers (whose wives the first guy famously loved to gently caress). Machismo killed Rome. Buy my book.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

kronix posted:

I mean just to be clear, you can make hydrogen with clean energy. A lot of EV proponents will claim that’s it’s significantly less efficient than just charging an EV with the energy you would’ve used to create the hydrogen and they’d be right but there’s a ton of advantages with hydrogen like instant refueling.

Batteries aren’t going to be the only solution, there’s cases where energy density can’t realistically be met by batteries (yet). If we get significant improvements in hydrogen storage (and that’s a big if) it’ll be a big win for moving away from fossil fuels.

Hydrogen's only benefit is it's relative transportability compared to better battery technologies. There is zero reason to ever use a hydrogen system for fixed power plants, stationary battery methods are already better than hydrogen can be theoretically last time I looked at the numbers.

Hydrogen is an alternative for renewable biofuels, that's it, which is good because all the better biofuel tech (like algal) that seemed so promising seems to be dead in the water this year, but also bad because it's still not as good as our pretty lovely existing biofuels processes.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I worked part-time in a warehouse back in college. They used electric pallet jacks with swappable batteries, which were basically these giant metal bricks that we stored in a very heavily ventilated corner of the building. Even then management warned us to be careful about doing anything that might cause sparks to fly - in general, obviously, but especially around the battery storage area because apparently those things released hydrogen gas during their charge cycle and they were loving terrified of anything that could set it off.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Adenoid Dan posted:

Yeah, and cats domesticated themselves. They actively chose to hang around with humans because our food supplies attracted delicious rats and mice and cats were like "I live here now" and humanity as a whole has just been rolling with that ever since.

Seriously, the domestication process of the cat is so funny when compared to the domestication process of other animals like dogs and horses because with those critters there was a long process of selective breeding, but cats just showed up and are pretty much exactly the same genetically as they were when they were wild animals.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Hydrogen is probably the fuel source that should be furthest away from cars unless about 90% of people get their licenses pulled. Its almost hard to think of a worse fuel without reaching into the exotic soviet rocket fuels.

Plug in hybrids make far more sense as a transition vehicle, especially for the long haul/persistent use applications where full EVs struggle.

The real solution is of course trains but America's railroad policy is and has been literally spending 80 years picking all the wrong options so that's not happening.

BTW the true killer for hydrogen is infrastructure. Average unit cost for a single pump was 2 million dollars. Compared to both EV stations and traditional pumps which come in around 3000 per unit (aside from a few fire safety features and on board payment the fuel pump hasn't changed much from its introduction).

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 13, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, and cats domesticated themselves. They actively chose to hang around with humans because our food supplies attracted delicious rats and mice and cats were like "I live here now" and humanity as a whole has just been rolling with that ever since.

Seriously, the domestication process of the cat is so funny when compared to the domestication process of other animals like dogs and horses because with those critters there was a long process of selective breeding, but cats just showed up and are pretty much exactly the same genetically as they were when they were wild animals.

It's believed that dogs also self-domesticated themselves.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Any 'No Kill' pet center that releases cats into the wild hates cats and wild animals.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's believed that dogs also self-domesticated themselves.

Possibly but while wolves and dogs might still be the same species the differences are quite evident. By now humans have managed to get dog domestication into their DNA; look at a wolf for like 5 minutes and you'll notice they aren't a dog from a lot of small things.

Look at a tiger and gently caress me that's just a big cat.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

FlamingLiberal posted:

This feels like a parody

A. J. Rimmer is a Red Dwarf character so I'm guessing parody.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kalit posted:

I’m not a PETA fan, but their ideologies aren’t anywhere near this stupid: https://www.peta.org/about-peta/why-peta/pets/

Yeah, their language is more blunt and off-putting, but otherwise that's a very sensible policy. I worked for a spay/neuter program as part of a larger animal rights org/sanctuary and that was pretty much our mission, to get as many dogs and cats spayed and neutered as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Kalit posted:

uhh, its not on their website, it is just something that has shown up in interviews with the executives and people that worked there.