Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

MarcusSA posted:

Pretty good video and the windows keyboard part made me lol because that poo poo is so fuckin annoying

I mean it's informative but the conclusion to buy buy buy before it's gone is weird. Sounds like those IGN reviews where the reviewer's pretty ambivalent and the score's a 9/10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So there will be a $600 Ally but not for a couple of months, and it’ll be weaker (non Extreme Z1 chip).

Valve going for spec parity across the Deck lineup was a brilliant decision, but that might only be viable if it’s being subsidized by a digital platform holder (even if MS is chipping in). I still hope the Ally does relatively well, so other manufacturers aren’t scared off.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Apparently DBD can now be played on the steam deck :yotj:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I won’t lie I’m tempted to get the Ally Extreme but ultimately I think I’ll just put the money towards a gaming PC instead.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

The ally is kinda tempting as someone who was considering a steam deck. I still will probably get a steam deck because I prefer valve to asus but the ally seems to be a surprisingly good product.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If you screw up the initial docked screen setup, delete ~/.local/share/kscreen
This advice applies if you're eg windowboxed in desktop mode

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 4, 2023

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Kwolok posted:

Apparently DBD can now be played on the steam deck :yotj:

looking forward to dave's big dick

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Heran Bago, I didn't realize you were still adding stuff to your beginners guide thread. That's great. For the life of me I couldn't remember the name decky loader. Neither of us mention it. It didn't work for me before, but since I just wiped the drive I'm gonna give it another shot.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 12, 2023

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

Heran Bago, I didn't realize you were still adding stuff to your beginners guide thread. That's great. For the life of me I couldn't remember the name decky loader. Neither of us mention it. It didn't work for me before, but since I just wiped the drive I'm gonna give it another shot.

Oh right. I'll add Decky Loader and pillows.

Hope it works for you this time!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Darkest Dungeon 2 runs great (I limit it to 30Hz refresh and get ~3 hours battery life), but it desperately needs proper controller support.

There's a community layout that works OK (god bless the trackpads), but controller support would be a huge improvement.

Great game, slightly different vibe from DD1, but I like it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dumb question: how can I get rid of these black bars when I use Moonlight to stream my computer to my Deck?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KozmoNaut posted:

Darkest Dungeon 2 runs great (I limit it to 30Hz refresh and get ~3 hours battery life), but it desperately needs proper controller support.

There's a community layout that works OK (god bless the trackpads), but controller support would be a huge improvement.

I was pretty excited to check it out on my deck a couple days ago, but when I realized it didn't have real controller support and I'd have to use my joysticks to control it (I had the deck docked), I immediately gave up. I look forward to checking it out once they implement controller support, but right now it's a no go.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Dumb question: how can I get rid of these black bars when I use Moonlight to stream my computer to my Deck?

I am not familiar with moonlight, but is your PC streaming at a 16:9 redolution? That causes black bars usually. If you can, try changing the streaming resolution to something that's 16:10.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is it me or is what they've done moving around the steam library or steamapps folder/file locations still messing some things up? Yesterday had trouble. I tried to download Hitman III on my external hard drive while docked, it downloaded the whole thing, spent forever verifying, then nix. Is there a way to force this verify process as admin? It said "can't create the steam folder," so I created it manually, and it still said the same thing. Opened steam as root and had same problem. I could try it again, but then maybe I'd have two nonfunctional 100gb downloads taking up space.

It's not possible to manually choose a download/install location. Maybe if I could make that possible it would allow me to override whatever's in the way.

Also, I'm not clear on how decky loader installed without permanent root or loosening PATH. I didn't have it do a temporary sudo password, i had created one. My suspicion is that it would be more futureproof to give decky more permissions, more access, different install location? It's the second thing I installed after firefox on a factory reset, and immediately ran into problems. Needed to reboot three times to get the Steam/ellipsis functional again. I don't know what the gently caress is up with those things! Somehow they're bound at the "wrong level." I don't know whether they use Steam Input but it's as if they're changing action layer sets at the wrong times. For example, if I bring up the keyboard with steam+x it loses my custom bindings until I hit the steam button again. I want to bind those buttons at the deepest level possible, so they're operable by keyboard. Before you tell me the steam and ellipsis buttons are, in fact, operable by keyboard--they ain't. Not for my purposes.

Another note: your default image viewer has an extremely handy "upload to imgur" button. And another note: SteamOS comes with a GUI partitioning tool you might not find unless you're looking for it. Another: somebody's selling these cheat sheets printed on circuit boards for common commands, kinda cool if you're tired of how Google sucks now and you can't search for and find simple commands any more.

Anyway. As I'm trying to troubleshoot my drive difficulties, here's what it shows me for devices.

Yesterday it was auto-recognizing stuff, idk.

What do I do mount /dev/sda ? mount -t exf4 /dev/sda1 /* ? Are they mounted already?

quote:

To check the current mount status, you can run the mount command in a terminal without any arguments. It will display a list of mounted filesystems and their corresponding mount points.
This doesn't help. Can't interpret it and don't know if posting its results would be bad opsec

My first question is: can somebody please give me a line to check permissions, then allow all permissions, forever, for that entire 5tb HDD, so I can at least try that Hitman III install. Then putting back my permissions wherever they should be. Thanks for consideration. Always takes me over a half hour to troubleshoot a thing and write a post about it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If you want to know what devices and partitions exist: lsblk
If you want to mount the device (rw): mount $DEVICE $MOUNTPOINT, i.e. mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/yourmountpoint. Mount will auto-detect the file system.

The partition manager should also show it, and iirc also offer a way to mount it using its GUI. KDE Plasma will usually offer you to mount it anyway once it connects.

Do keep in mind that if that external drive is not vfat or one of the native Linux file systems, that it will be a pain in the rear end to use. That's especially true if it's NTFS. NTFS read support works, NTFS write support is experimental.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

KozmoNaut posted:

Maybe I need to mess with the settings because I'm only getting 25fps in the Tangle. The whole game kinda feels like it's running in slow motion. Not a huge deal in a turn based game but a little disappointing.

I just use left analog stick to control the wagon and right track pad/right trigger for everything else.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Slow motion suggests its not playing nice with the refresh rate of thats set up.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Paradoxish posted:

here's to hoping someone else will eventually come around with a decent handheld with functional trackpads and less of an obsession with numbers.

lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Khanstant posted:

I like Windows, it's where my programs and files are

maybe you should keep them inside before it rains

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Tears of the Kingdom is loving awesome but drat does my Switch feel like a toy after playing my Deck for months straight.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

Slow motion suggests its not playing nice with the refresh rate of thats set up.

Now you mention it, I got refresh rate problems too. video's all jittery when i go to reddit.com/r/twinkswithlargebootysittingonabirthdaycake they're doing the hurky-jerky. same thing at redgifs.com/tags/cakebooty

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bob A Feet posted:

Tears of the Kingdom is loving awesome but drat does my Switch feel like a toy after playing my Deck for months straight.

Yeah it feels like some Fisher-Price thing I would use to distract a kid while I played on the real device. Agree that TotK is amazing though, and I have no idea how they made it work so well on the Switch. (FSR1 does look pretty crappy though.)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BOTW HD and TOTK HD are gonna look good as hell on the ~New~ Nintendo Switch 2 U 2DSi XL Advance

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Honestly at this point I see Nintendo releasing a lower spec console out of hubris and everything still being a sub 30fps two-to-three years from now.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Switch 2 is just a OLED with flames painted on the casing (to make it go faster).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Honestly at this point I see Nintendo releasing a lower spec console out of hubris and everything still being a sub 30fps two-to-three years from now.

If it’s as good as switch then sounds great

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Yeah both the Switch and the Steam Deck in slightly different ways prove that most people don’t really care that much about having really powerful hardware and the best visuals possible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Knowing Nintendo they’ll go off into a weird direction and make another separate handheld again. Gotta follow up a successful console with a complete dogshit one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I think they just said they aren’t terribly interested in a next gen right now

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

They said in their financials they are working on new hardware but it's not going to be ready in the next financial year (so not before April 2024), so a new system is coming but not for at least another year.

Bob A Feet posted:

I haven't felt this as much though, but before it came out I did spend a week playing Cadence of Hyrule to get used to the feel of the system again. My right joy-con has a slightly dodgy connection but that's probably just part of this being a launch model and the rail taking 7 years of abuse. Perfect excuse to get an OLED I'm thinking. What using the Switch again has made me think though is how much I miss the Deck not having a reliable sleep suspend mode. Being able to pick the thing up, play 10 minutes and put it back to sleep is so nice and I wish I could do that with the Deck.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You can though, I do that with my deck all the time

That’s half the magic of the deck

What are you playing that it’s not working?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can though, I do that with my deck all the time

That’s half the magic of the deck

What are you playing that it’s not working?

Yeah gonna second this.

Only game I have issues with is dead cells but that’s an audio issue.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

I’ve had issues with Death Stranding and sleep mode. You hit the power button, it appears to sleep, then wakes up again 10 seconds later. Doesn’t happen all the time, but once it’s in whatever state causes it it will keep repeating.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Halo MCC sometimes loses audio if I suspend it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Horizon and a bunch of other games also lose some controls (usually the right stick) because they aren't recognised on coming out of sleep. Hence me saying reliable, there's enough small irritations and inconsistencies about using sleep mode with a game open that I just don't use it.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I guess it’s because I mostly play indie games or whatever on my switch but I’ve literally never had an issue resuming from sleep.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

What I miss most about my switch is nothing steam deck rules

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sometimes there are audio issues, I've seen less of them as updates have come out, but also there's that Decky Loader plugin that resets the audio device that fixes it if you're still running into it.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeah both the Switch and the Steam Deck in slightly different ways prove that most people don’t really care that much about having really powerful hardware and the best visuals possible.

It comes down to understanding your platform. The difference in visuals is just drastically less pronounced when you're playing something on a smaller screen, and other things like ergonomics, good controls, battery life, etc. are way, way more important. Even framerate is a lot less important at a smaller size. Like, I am someone who legitimately cannot stand playing anything at sub-60fps on a big screen, but I pretty routinely and happily lock my SD at 30fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never actually cared about 60 fps, just if the framerate is stable and the draw distance is good