Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m pretty sure the Mulan remake was a failure yes

Wasn’t that one released during COVID with the weird Disney+ Premium thing as well? Who knows how much it made that way, and Disney’s probably not going to spill the beans on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mulan had some weird stuff about appeasing the Chinese government and filming in Xinjiang going against it too. Both good reasons to not see it but then it gets mixed up with actual anti-Asian racism.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Casimir Radon posted:

Mulan had some weird stuff about appeasing the Chinese government and filming in Xinjiang going against it too. Both good reasons to not see it but then it gets mixed up with actual anti-Asian racism.

Got bad news about "anti-Asian racism", hope you're sitting down.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLVSnMARQQ

The complete plot of this is already on wikipedia and it is mindmeltongly complicated but not in a good way more like the ending of MGS2 way starting with Fortune's motivations. Like Donald Kaufman tried to write Inception.

Affleck stopped being Batman only to end up starring in movies with Batman villains.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mycot posted:

The Mulan movie systemically removed every bit of comedy and whimsy I guess because foreign movies don't have those, but looking at the numbers, it seems to have lost a lot of money. 200 million budget and 70 million box office seems...bad.

Didn't they make it Disney+ exclusive for a bit first? I remember word of mouth on the flick was pretty bad right away so probably killed its chances in theaters right then and there.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

mycot posted:

The Mulan movie systemically removed every bit of comedy and whimsy I guess because foreign movies don't have those, but looking at the numbers, it seems to have lost a lot of money. 200 million budget and 70 million box office seems...bad.

Turns out Chinese audiences don't like being pandered to by Hollywood, whoda thought.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Do any of the live-action remakes... not necessarily improve on the original, but do anything interesting or innovative with them instead of just adding a ton of CGI?

I guess maybe The Jungle Book, but I also admittedly don't really remember the original that well.

Alice in Wonderland was the earliest modern attempt and it wasn't a remake, but more like an alt-universe sequel set in a Tim Burton fever dream. It's aesthetically closer to American McGee than to the original Disney animation.

Maleficent straight up made the title character the hero of Sleeping Beauty, including making sure we know that this whole thing was told from Aurora's viewpoint.

Cinderella was the first actual remake that did not really change the original story but I recall it being quite good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I remember liking Malificent quite a bit thanks to the cast and the different perspective making the story so different. Is Malificent 2 any good?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I remember liking Malificent quite a bit thanks to the cast and the different perspective making the story so different. Is Malificent 2 any good?

The villain believes her lineage rightfully owns Maleficent's fairy kingdom, so she tries to genocide its native people with a chemical weapon. Sounds familiar?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mycot posted:

no matter how much money these live action remakes make, they're all creatively bankrupt ;)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Jungle Book and Dumbo remakes both did enough of their own thing for me to consider them to be good. But I don’t see them learning any positive lessons there. They’re just going to plow ahead with these until they stop making money.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

After Fast X we will get Fast XI and then, maybe Fast XII?!? The actors ran away instead of confirming so lol

https://gizmodo.com/fast-x-fast-furious-final-trilogy-vin-diesel-universal-1850433364

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

The Jungle Book and Dumbo remakes both did enough of their own thing for me to consider them to be good. But I don’t see them learning any positive lessons there. They’re just going to plow ahead with these until they stop making money.

I'm with you inasmuch as Dumbo did a lot of its own thing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I've heard the theory (possibly from Yesterworld) that the live action remakes are essentially serving as new versions of the "Disney Vault" releases. It used to be that Disney periodically re-released their animated features into theaters, and were really hesitant to release them on home video because that would make theatrical re-releases unnecessary.

Eventually they caved, but did the "Disney Vault" thing to make each home video release a limited time thing, to entice parents into impulse-buying the comparatively expensive tapes.

They could get away with this each time a new format popped up - VHS, DVD, and Blu Ray, but after Blu Ray there hasn't been another format that's taken over to the same extent, so the well of re-releases had run dry.

Disney briefly tried to pivot to 3D re-releases in the early 2010's, but that kind of fell flat, so now instead of re-releasing the same movie and getting diminishing returns, they can remake it and release it as a "new" product, and rake in a billion dollars.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That's certainly possible. I think it's also just a general decision to use a popular IP again that you know is going to make money.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tars Tarkas posted:

After Fast X we will get Fast XI and then, maybe Fast XII?!? The actors ran away instead of confirming so lol

https://gizmodo.com/fast-x-fast-furious-final-trilogy-vin-diesel-universal-1850433364

Is F&F XII going to have a mini game where the new cast member runs around loudly yelling that they're Dominic Turetto?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Aquaman sets off a nuclear apocalypse

It was a Furiosa prequel the whole time

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The endgame villain has to be Kurt Russell's CIA guy who they've been retrieving increasingly overpowered surveillance/cyber warfare widgets for since film 6

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i thought fast 9 was the first of the trilogy

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The third movie is Fast XXX a stealth attempt by vin diesel to reboot the franchise

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Alan Smithee posted:

The third movie is Fast XXX a stealth attempt by vin diesel to reboot the franchise

Stealthing is a crime in some places

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1657252731969769472?t=Ak75fzEaNxmYbms-_J__DQ&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

i love how all kojima does now is watch poo poo and go "what an exquisite good time!"

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

He would know things about head transplants

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

i love how all kojima does now is watch poo poo and go "what an exquisite good time!"

His one sentence reviews of "Just watched (blank)" with just an image of him in the theater and the movie poster have become infamously , instantly damning for a movie. Like people saw his Super Mario Bros tweet and turned on the movie.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Young Freud posted:

His one sentence reviews of "Just watched (blank)" with just an image of him in the theater and the movie poster have become infamously , instantly damning for a movie. Like people saw his Super Mario Bros tweet and turned on the movie.

Can love bloom at the box office?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

LOL he noticed the logo too.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What am I missing?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

P.T. was a demo for a horror game that Kojima Productions, under pseudonym, developed back in 2014 in collaboration with Del Toro. On top of that it also served as a teaser for Silent Hills, before it was cancelled.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P.T._(video_game)

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

whydirt posted:

What am I missing?

Pideo Tojima

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Still mad the movies not named Fast X Furious.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

galagazombie posted:

Still mad the movies not named Fast X Furious.

'FAS-TEN YOUR SEATBELTS' DAMMIT IT WAS RIGHT THERE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Mulan remake also tried to be faux-wuxia and came off as an incredibly bad and tone-deaf lovely knockoff of it, I've seen the final fight on youtube and it's impossibly bad.

It's not just pandering, it's really bad pandering that seems to have no actual Chinese people involved at the production level or even asking what they might like.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Mulan remake also tried to be faux-wuxia and came off as an incredibly bad and tone-deaf lovely knockoff of it, I've seen the final fight on youtube and it's impossibly bad.

It's not just pandering, it's really bad pandering that seems to have no actual Chinese people involved at the production level or even asking what they might like.
They gave Mulan exactly one move (kicking arrows/projectiles back at the person who fired them) and it's the only notable thing she does in any of her fights. That movie sucked so hard, drat

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Martman posted:

They gave Mulan exactly one move (kicking arrows/projectiles back at the person who fired them) and it's the only notable thing she does in any of her fights. That movie sucked so hard, drat

Who is this DM that allowed Mulan to have infinity ki points?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Martman posted:

This made me look up some clips of the movie on YouTube and on top of the weird bad action scenes it just looks really bad in general, like drat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The MSJ posted:

Who is this DM that allowed Mulan to have infinity ki points?

Monks are an underpowered class, let them Deflect Missiles all they want :argh:

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Monks are an underpowered class, let them Deflect Missiles all they want :argh:

Pick a better class next time!

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Turns out, wuxia and martial arts movies in general are hard if you don’t know what you’re doing. Hong Kong studios were able to turn out so many because they had a lot of very experienced actors, directors, choreographers, and stunt performers making them for decades and passing on knowledge from one generation to the next. Disney’s killed any semblance of that they ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
“Why spend money to train and nurture talent when I can just poach it from another studio who has?” Says every studio standing in a big circle looking at the studio to their right.