Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Going rumor is that Roman and Solo are challenging Sami and KO for the titles in Saudi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Pylons posted:

Going rumor is that Roman and Solo are challenging Sami and KO for the titles in Saudi.

I thought the latter two refused to go to Saudi?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So Roman and solo win by countout, duh

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

I thought the latter two refused to go to Saudi?

Supposedly Sami has no issues with Saudi anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Turns out it's Sami Callihan and Kyle O'Reilly

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pylons posted:

Supposedly Sami has no issues with Saudi anymore.

lol man that's bleak

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
zaynamaniacs in the mud

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

he never had a problem with it. he had concerns about how he would be received and ppl online decided things since he's the best person alive, etc.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

MJeff posted:

The actual real answer is:
- Austin Theory
- Solo Sikoa
- Bianca Belair
- Rhea Ripley

Two of these are good choices, two of them are very bad choices.

Solo seems pretty decent though. I think the jury is still out on him but he doesn't have any personal baggage and his ring work is fine and getting better.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Roddy Piper was 43 and Hulk Hogan was 44 during the infamous Age in a Cage match at Halloween Havoc '97.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Hbk was 43 when he fought a 59 year old flair at wm24 and then he fought the Undertaker at WM25-26 when they were both 44-45. Wasn’t Batista oldish when he started too?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bartok posted:

Roddy Piper was 43 and Hulk Hogan was 44 during the infamous Age in a Cage match at Halloween Havoc '97.

Pretty young for a big main event match

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't generally care about how old a wrestler is, it just became A Thing in WWE because they refused to make young, new stars anymore and only relied on the old ones. Old wrestlers can be cool as poo poo. It's just, you can't only have old wrestlers at the top of the card forever and ignore the young wrestlers who are getting over and could be huge stars as well.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also medical science, training, and drugs are a lot more advanced now than in the 80's/90's so a wrestler can still be in decent shape and perform great in the ring at a much older age

But yeah you do want to be pushing younger talent as well

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well yea, typically companies want to make money, so going all in on one old person to prop the company up for the next decade is kind of a dumb move.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Invalid Validation posted:

Well yea, typically companies want to make money, so going all in on one old person to prop the company up for the next decade is kind of a dumb move.

You'd think that's such a sensible take that major wrestling companies would stop doing that but here we are

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

I don't generally care about how old a wrestler is, it just became A Thing in WWE because they refused to make young, new stars anymore and only relied on the old ones. Old wrestlers can be cool as poo poo. It's just, you can't only have old wrestlers at the top of the card forever and ignore the young wrestlers who are getting over and could be huge stars as well.

I don’t care about the number but it’s kinda dumb to be giving a first main event push to a guy who’s already physically declining

expecting to get 5 more years of top performance out of him is much more optimistic than realistic imo

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Julio Cruz posted:

I don’t care about the number but it’s kinda dumb to be giving a first main event push to a guy who’s already physically declining

expecting to get 5 more years of top performance out of him is much more optimistic than realistic imo

I think it'd be sillier if it was a guy who had been in WWE for like 15 years already or something. Priest got to WWE in 2018, so it's not too crazy to me for a guy in his 5th year in the company to be possibly getting a big main event push.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ganso Bomb posted:

I only care about age because every time I watch Masato Tanaka I think "how the gently caress is this guy 50, been wrestling a hard hitting style for 30 years & still this good?"

As opposed to classic Hulk Hogan where you watch him & think "how the gently caress is this guy 37, has been wrestling for about 15 years, is this bad & looks ancient?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ganso Bomb posted:

I think it'd be sillier if it was a guy who had been in WWE for like 15 years already or something. Priest got to WWE in 2018, so it's not too crazy to me for a guy in his 5th year in the company to be possibly getting a big main event push.

imo, the main problem is how they've been treating Priest when they push him. If you're going to bring in someone in their late thirties, you want to treat them as a hot new competitor but you can't really call them rookies. That's what they did with AJ Styles and Kevin Owens. But Damian Priest doesn't have the kind of lengthy career WWE is forced to recognize and he's aged pretty well, so there's a recurring vibe that WWE is treating him like he's a new wrestler and not just new to WWE. It's just weird.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's kinda mindblowing that Bret was only 4 years younger than Hogan and 3 years younger than Piper, especially at that time.
And also 1 year younger than Damien Priest is now at the time of Age in a Cage.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Ganso Bomb posted:

pushing a guy in his 5th year with the company is fine assuming he's going to have at least 5 more years at the main-event level

which Priest might, I don't know, but he's a lot less likely to than other, younger, potential main eventers like Bron or Montez Ford or Pete DunneButch

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Ganso Bomb posted:

that part is fine. it's more about their talent scouting system not being interested in anyone under 35.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

ChrisBTY posted:

It's kinda mindblowing that Bret was only 4 years younger than Hogan and 3 years younger than Piper, especially at that time.
And also 1 year younger than Damien Priest is now at the time of Age in a Cage.

Holy poo poo I never realized this, this makes their Mania torch passing moment with the IC title really funny

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

that part is fine. it's more about their talent scouting system not being interested in anyone under 35.

To be fair they'll gladly sign younger people they just need to send them down to the world class PC to make sure they have the brittle knees of a 35 year old by the time they hit the main roster

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

When do we think R-Truth will retire

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

When do we think R-Truth will retire

hopefully never

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Kvlt! posted:

hopefully never

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Kvlt! posted:

hopefully never

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I don't think age is really too much of a factor these days with how healthy most guys are and how much nutrition and science has come along. Probably around age 50 is now what we should be looking at where it's going to be more difficult to keep up. But even then so many wrestlers now are just freakish about their bodies that it's possible they could keep going then, like R-Truth.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/brandonthurston/status/1657140335577821186?s=46

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

quote:

Fightful is reporting that, “2021 saw some major WWE contracts expire in Bryan Danielson and Adam Cole, but a gigantic part of the roster is signed through 2024 after huge contacts were handed out in 2019.” It is also worth noting that, “2022 saw a major regime change, but an implemented negotiation method seemingly stick around.”

In many cases, WWE would start to reach out to talent to extend their deals a year and a half before they expired, but Fightful was told that is already changing. Completely separate of the Adam Cole and Pete Dunne contract snafus in 2021 that saw deals expire without the company realizing, Fightful learned that a change in talent relations and a major turnover internally, in addition to some new faces at the top of the company, had changed the way contracts were negotiated in the last year or so of Vince McMahon’s regime before he left. Fightful was told that the newer approach was to come closer to their expiration date before negotiations begin in many cases, a practice that was already in effect as of the Summer 2021. That wasn’t exclusively the case, but was a big adjustment from WWE looking to lock down talent way ahead of their deals expiring.

It was also noted that, “with Triple H, it remains to be seen how things will change, but thus far, we haven’t heard of many cases where talent were negotiating deals way ahead of time, so it looks to so far be the same method.”

Explains the lack of progress on keeping Drew, it's their new policy now (against tradition) to wait till closer to the deals are up before really talking

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The difference between now and then is simple

Nobody uses icopro nowadays

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status/1657143594623311873?s=20

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

New Whale Inc. sounds super shell company-y.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Maigius posted:

New Whale Inc. sounds super shell company-y.

nWi

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
NEW WHALE INC

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
All this talk about age - it’s crazy to me that you could have a 40+ person Royal rumble with all the dead wrestlers who have competed in that actual match…through 2009 because that’s the first year everyone is currently still alive.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

heeheeeheehee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

to be fair, and I didn't realize this, Damien Priest didnt start wrestling until age 33