Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VanillaGorilla posted:

Why even have hearts when everything one or two shots you? Early game feels exceedingly rough this time around.

Yeah I’m just scratching these dudes with the Ultrahand whip thing and they are destroying me. It’s brutal, even assuming that I’m bad which I’m sure I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mordiceius posted:

I've mostly not paid attention to the TotK hype. If I wasn't too hot on BotW, I assume TotK is basically more of the same?
More of the same but with new systems this time around and the map is different.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I assume I need specialized equipment or buffs to deal with these gloom hands enemies because they are some bullshit

Also anyone know if the teleporting horse armor from BotW DLC is in this? That made horses so much more convenient to use

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rageaholic posted:

More of the same but with new systems this time around and the map is different.

Ah. The overworld exploration was the most un-fun part of BotW to me. Good to know that I can skip it. I've got way too many games I want to play right now anyway.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Mordiceius posted:

I've mostly not paid attention to the TotK hype. If I wasn't too hot on BotW, I assume TotK is basically more of the same?

They doubled down on breath of the wild. If you like it you will like this, whatever you didn't like about BotW they probably didn't fix it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mordiceius posted:

Ah. The overworld exploration was the most un-fun part of BotW to me. Good to know that I can skip it. I've got way too many games I want to play right now anyway.

They added an over-overworld, and an underworld too.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Rageaholic posted:

How do you upgrade that? I've been given the option to upgrade my hearts but not that.

I will let you know when I find out! I only have about 45 minutes in

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Rageaholic posted:

How do you upgrade that? I've been given the option to upgrade my hearts but not that.

It's the exact same as BotW.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CJ posted:

They doubled down on breath of the wild. If you like it you will like this, whatever you didn't like about BotW they probably didn't fix it.

Good to know. Yeah, for me, the best part of BotW was the shrines. I would play an entire game of just the shrines.

I hated the overworld stuff. Which is also amusing because I'm also a big Genshin fan and love the overworld exploration there. Genshin is just better at giving me a dopamine dripfeed.

With BotW, I did the Elephant dungeon and the Bird dungeon and then I got really bored.

I'm glad people are enjoying TotK but it feels like BotW/TotK are both very much made for people who aren't me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

First one requires a heart upgrade because reasons, all upgrades after that are your choice of hearts or stamina.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hot tip: Adding a barrel of dynamite to a melee weapon? Not recommended

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CJ posted:

It's the exact same as BotW.
Refresh my memory because I played BotW years ago. In BotW, didn't you collect materials from shrines that you took to a statue at a church, and once you got enough of them, you could choose from either a heart container or a stamina upgrade? The only statue I've seen so far was on the Great Sky Island and that only let me upgrade my hearts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The button issue, as someone who plays PS5 way more than switch, is breaking my brain lol

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Steve Yun posted:

Similarly I don't recommend throwing bomb flowers(unless it's off a cliff)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Refresh my memory because I played BotW years ago. In BotW, didn't you collect materials from shrines that you took to a statue at a church, and once you got enough of them, you could choose from either a heart container or a stamina upgrade? The only statue I've seen so far was on the Great Sky Island and that only let me upgrade my hearts.

Most major towns have one. I know Zora is just south of the throne room, starter town it's... somewhere in the lower area. Can't recall. You're looking for a smaller shrine.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

There's no way to bulk fuse arrows, is there? Not have to keep scrolling through all my materials to use light arrows and bombs?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I kinda forgot how annoying the whole controls situation was in BoTW.............

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

If the melee weapon-fusing system is leaving utterly confuzzled every time you strap a rock to a rusty sword, without being able to gauge how much damage it'll do and for how long, just treat every close range tool of violence as having a 'hilt' and a 'blade'. The hilt part always gets picked up into your melee inventory and solely governs the durability of a fused weapon. The blade component can be another hilt or a totally random ingredient, and while it does nothing for the durability of the resulting weapon, it's integral to doing big damage since it's governed by the sum of the numbers on the hilt and the blade plus an optional synergy bonus written on the hilt.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People mentioned getting their old horses back, but the stables didn't have any option like that for me. I also keep running into guys like Beedle who act like we haven't met, which makes me wonder if my save game didn't get read properly.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Rageaholic posted:

Yes. That is how it works. There are spirit statues in most towns. The one in lookout landing is underground.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I see someone at Nintendo is a fan of the old Resident evil movie. lost my poo poo at the end of one of the shrines

Rand Brittain posted:

People mentioned getting their old horses back, but the stables didn't have any option like that for me. I also keep running into guys like Beedle who act like we haven't met, which makes me wonder if my save game didn't get read properly.

I went through the sign up spiel and then he realized he had 2 of my horses. Try that?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Good to know. Yeah, for me, the best part of BotW was the shrines. I would play an entire game of just the shrines.

I hated the overworld stuff. Which is also amusing because I'm also a big Genshin fan and love the overworld exploration there. Genshin is just better at giving me a dopamine dripfeed.

With BotW, I did the Elephant dungeon and the Bird dungeon and then I got really bored.

I'm glad people are enjoying TotK but it feels like BotW/TotK are both very much made for people who aren't me.

Good to hear! Alright take care buddy.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bruceski posted:

There's no way to bulk fuse arrows, is there? Not have to keep scrolling through all my materials to use light arrows and bombs?

there's no bulk fusing, but
- if you hit dpad-up and hit Y, one of the sort options will be "most used"
- when you sort, your cursor will jump to the leftmost option
- the selection retains memory of "where you were when you last used the menu"

so once you've fused anything once, it'll typically be towards the front of the most-fused items, and fusing (say) six bomb arrows in a row will only ever require "hit up and immediately fuse again" after you've shot the first one off

Steve Yun posted:

stick grenades are great actually, especially if you stick them on a spear

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Press the sort button to switch to most used and the stuff you like will all be up front.

Weapons having no sort options is funny though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bruceski posted:

Most major towns have one. I know Zora is just south of the throne room, starter town it's... somewhere in the lower area. Can't recall. You're looking for a smaller shrine.

CJ posted:

Yes. That is how it works. There are spirit statues in most towns. The one in lookout landing is underground.
Rad, thank you. I haven't been to any of the major towns yet, just the starter town. I've been to a few shrines and I'm attempting the Dragon's Tears quest now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zelda day! I'm about 3 hrs in, did 2 shrines, lotta goofing around, game rules!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There's a type of mini-boss(Stone Talus) that is much much easier if you know a certain trick: You can use Ascend on it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My fav minibosses are the constructs because it's really fun to rip their prices or core off with ultrahand instead of shooting the weak spots or whatever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJ posted:

that's not really true, tears has WAY more puzzles scattered around the overworld and way more different types of things for you to find and do. I've seen a bunch of people who were lukewarm about BoTW falling in love with ToTK.
it depends on what you disliked about BoTW. if you disliked BoTW because you break into hives at the sight of a weapon breaking then yeah you won't like ToTK

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

anyways I went back to the Great Plateau and holy poo poo this game is amazing.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Augus posted:

that's not really true, tears has WAY more puzzles scattered around the overworld and way more different types of things for you to find and do. I've seen a bunch of people who were lukewarm about BoTW falling in love with ToTK.
it depends on what you disliked about BoTW. if you disliked BoTW because you break into hives at the sight of a weapon breaking then yeah you won't like ToTK

Don't try. Their gimmick is asking about a game and then refusing all advice and just saying they're going to play Genshin.

incorporeal
May 6, 2006

Barreft posted:

Don't try. Their gimmick is asking about a game and then refusing all advice and just saying they're going to play Genshin.

Real sicko behavior

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

incorporeal posted:

Real sicko behavior

Glenn fans yknow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The early trailer showing a talus being used like a ROTK oliphant battle platform happened so long ago I forgot about it and was genuinely surprised when it popped out of the ground

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VanillaGorilla posted:

Why even have hearts when everything one or two shots you? Early game feels exceedingly rough this time around.

The eventide style challenge shrines are brutal, and I'm pretty sure I don't even know what half the options for combat are.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Had to get the hardcover official strategy guide since it was on sale and cheaper than the paperback. But a month to get it, I hope i'll still need it.

I think it was clever for Nintendo to give Link longer hair and an earring considering that the franchise has a pretty balanced male to female ratio.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My wife: "your son is downstairs and he's playing as Link in only his underpants"

Me: "link is or the boy is?"

Her: "both of them are."

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Think I’m going to stick to the main quest until I get the paraglider, then spread out

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My wife: "your son is downstairs and he's playing as Link in only his underpants"

Me: "link is or the boy is?"

Her: "both of them are."

“YOUR son”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
She knows where he gets it.