Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ooh hell yeah, I missed the boat entirely by a few months from not playing Magic at all yet. Card Kingdom Prof Picks ft Prof Box

HootTheOwl posted:

I still haven't gotten mine!

Sounds completely normal for physical rewards from a Kickstarter. Logistics is hard and exhausting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

They're great deck boxes and definitely nailed the pure function aspect. It's the right size to not be an unwieldy full on pure storage focused box like an Arkhive or Cardslair, but big enough to jam a lot of poo poo into and more specifically make a tight "kit" of whatever you need; Any combination of a couple constructed decks and bits and pieces for limited works super well in them. It's nice to have a big, high quality feeling one stop shop so to speak.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kull the Conqueror posted:

OK so if I'm brave (i.e. dumb) enough to rock a Sultai pile in Standard, are there any good options against monored? Am I running Drag to the Bottom?

Sheolddred and cut down lol

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The two UBG three drops also look pretty fantastic against monored. Big bodies with either some lifegain or some protection stapled on.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

HootTheOwl posted:

I still haven't gotten mine!
me neither, but that's fine if they're a little late, it's not that big of a deal. I'm still waiting for Heart Forth, Alicia after all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

me neither, but that's fine if they're a little late, it's not that big of a deal. I'm still waiting for Heart Forth, Alicia after all.

I moved twice since the Kickstarter originally took my info, so I'm worried that there will be a miscommunication between Baker kit and Kickstarter and it won't get here.

And also complaining about luck is the surest way to win a game anyways so it's just positive ev

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Their communication has been rear end

I want mine so I can bike to my magic nights as well as not having to carry my Stanley toolbox with me

But patience is a virtue, so it is what it is!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I deleted my kickstarter account when they went all in to crytpo for no reason, which corresponded with the prof's drive almost to the week lol.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
The professor

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

uggy posted:

The poofessor

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Teferis parasocial box

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

uggy posted:

Teferis parasocial box

:perfect:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

uggy posted:

Teferis parasocial box
you asked for it you got it. a new professor video giving aftermath a failing grade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvEIyjmIvEU&hd=1

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Simply Simon posted:

What does "pile" mean in this context? Are you playing just good cards? Then you'll probably have Sheoldred and Cut Down already. You will sometimes get run over regardless but them's the breaks against mono-R.

Unless you play BO3, then you can sideboard in a lot more hate. Maindeck I wouldn't bother, your standard black suite should be good enough.

mcmagic posted:

Sheolddred and cut down lol

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The two UBG three drops also look pretty fantastic against monored. Big bodies with either some lifegain or some protection stapled on.

Ok cool that's about where I was with it anyway, thank you.

Faerie Mastermind seems like such a cool card without a home and I unpacked a few Dina and Zimones; figured I could try and make something work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Captain Invictus posted:

you asked for it you got it. a new professor video giving aftermath a failing grade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvEIyjmIvEU&hd=1

Yeah, that set is an all time stinker. RIP all those that have to deal with these packs as prizes.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Based on Bosh N Roll's video today, Faerie Mastermind seems legacy playable...

I am still trying to make that Errant and Giada standard deck with it work lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sickening posted:

Yeah, that set is an all time stinker. RIP all those that have to deal with these packs as prizes.

Gonna be a year or two of aftermath being in every convention-in-a-box bundle as they desperately try to move stock of this garbage idea

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Amazing they attempted to make an entire set of edh staples.

How much will Bobby Nixon move by himself?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I'm with the professor on this one: this set is for fake format Paper Brawl. There's a few interesting uncommons, but all the rares/mythics are Baldur's Gate level sub-standard power level. This isn't an EDH mini-set.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Was it here I heard it was "alchemy for paper"?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Deck
4 Omen Hawker (MOM) 70
16 Island (ANA) 4
4 Field of Ruin (XLN) 254
2 Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh (NEO) 84
4 Reckoner Bankbuster (NEO) 255
4 Combat Courier (BRO) 77
4 Patchwork Automaton (NEO) 254
4 Make Disappear (SNC) 49
2 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
4 Energy Refractor (BRO) 234
2 Mechtitan Core (NEO) 249
2 Demolition Field (BRO) 260
2 Unctus, Grand Metatect (ONE) 75
4 Disruption Protocol (NEO) 51
2 The Reality Chip (NEO) 74

Gameplan: Acceleration through Omen Hawker paying for abilities into a quick Mechtitan or just bashing with a bunch of 4/4s.

Combat Courier is a cheap artifact, can be sacced/tapped for the counterspells, chump block and draw, whatever's needed, and can get dug out of the graveyard for when it's time to Titan. Bankbuster's synergy with Hawker is pretty straightforward. Refractor as a cantrip that lets you filter Hawker mana is pretty cool, tbh. Patchwork Automaton grows pretty easily and can bash if needed. Reality Chip should help with digging through the deck, also a decent blocker and Titan piece. (I had been trying Surge Engine but investing so much mana in one creature led to too many blowouts against black decks). Make Disappear and Disruption Protocol for protection. The high end: Tezzeret can come out on 3 with Hawker into Energy Refractor, and then make the refractor into a 4/4. Unctus does a global buff if bashing ends up the plan, but also makes the Hawkers into looters for free. Importantly, it can make the Hawkers and Bankbuster pilots into artifact creatures for Mechtitan, which if enough pieces are in play you can just cast and activate on the same turn to prevent disruption. Mono-U allows for running the Fields of Ruin which, as suggested upthread, can be free to punish shaky mana bases. Otawara's channel ability can be paid for by Hawker and potentially gets discounted by Reality Chip and Unctus.

Certainly happy to get any suggestions!

I was tickled by this idea, so i've been working on my own brew on a similar line, using a control base instead of mechtitan. i dont have wildcards free for lands or a fourth seedshark yet, but here's the work in progress:

Deck
24 Island
3 Prophetic Prism
4 Negate
2 Fading Hope
4 Thirst for Discovery
2 Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh
3 Reckoner Bankbuster
4 Make Disappear
3 Levitating Statue
3 Blade of Shared Souls
3 Chrome Host Seedshark
4 Omen Hawker
1 See Double

Blade of Shared Souls is a fantastic payoff for the chrome host seedshark, since it creates a token and can be equipped to that token for a souped up shark and more tokens moving forward. levitating statue is also a decent backup win condition in case things drag on. as well as a strong target for tezzeret's -2. see double is in because i think it's funny to copy atraxas

so far i'm having fun playing it, and my losses in testing have been to loving up my plays rather than having nothing to do, which seems promising. i'd like to find another payoff for the blade of shared souls if i can, though. at the moment it only combos with the seedshark, which seems weak even if it's really funny when it works

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Venuz Patrol posted:

I was tickled by this idea, so i've been working on my own brew on a similar line, using a control base instead of mechtitan. i dont have wildcards free for lands or a fourth seedshark yet, but here's the work in progress:

Deck
24 Island
3 Prophetic Prism
4 Negate
2 Fading Hope
4 Thirst for Discovery
2 Tezzeret, Betrayer of Flesh
3 Reckoner Bankbuster
4 Make Disappear
3 Levitating Statue
3 Blade of Shared Souls
3 Chrome Host Seedshark
4 Omen Hawker
1 See Double

Blade of Shared Souls is a fantastic payoff for the chrome host seedshark, since it creates a token and can be equipped to that token for a souped up shark and more tokens moving forward. levitating statue is also a decent backup win condition in case things drag on. as well as a strong target for tezzeret's -2. see double is in because i think it's funny to copy atraxas

so far i'm having fun playing it, and my losses in testing have been to loving up my plays rather than having nothing to do, which seems promising. i'd like to find another payoff for the blade of shared souls if i can, though. at the moment it only combos with the seedshark, which seems weak even if it's really funny when it works

Re: counterspells, I'm not a tremendous fan of negate in monoblue. Normally I'd do a load out of 3 Make Disappear, 3 Essence Scatter, 2 Syncopate, but I've got a crazy idea: Omen Hawker's mana can be used for channel costs, so replace the Syncopates with Mirrorshell Crab!

Your opponent will never predict it, it can counter abilities, and you can even beat face with it. If you no want crab go snip snip and don't like Syncopate, I guess Dissipate?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Btw, channeling the Crab to counter triggered effects is hilariously annoying to your opponent. Things like EtB and card draw effects are particularly aggravating.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i go through a weekly cycle of using better counterspells until my combo creatures get controlled one too many times, and then losing my mind and stuffing my deck with negates until i get annoyed at them clogging up my hand all game and take them out again. i just happened to be on the worse side of the cycle when i made the post

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
2 for 1 myself by countering an ETB trigger instead of the spell.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Wooper posted:

2 for 1 myself by countering an ETB trigger instead of the spell.

You sound scared.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Stifle is, as always, at its best when you can use it offensively

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Amazing they attempted to make an entire set of edh staples.

I'm not sure why people keep saying stuff like this - taking a look at, say, the white cards there basically aren't any that are more than passable for EDH. You've got Tazri as a mediocre commander, Harnessed Snubhorn as a generally worse version of existing effects, Spark Rupture as a sideboard option for other formats, Deification as an interesting card that has basically no practical use case, Coppercoat Vanguard as a 120th card for human tribal, and Metropolis Reformer as a... blocker for Canadian Highlander or something? Whatever Aftermath was supposed to be, it certainly wasn't a EDH plant set. It has at least as many inclusions that make it seem like a dumping ground for weird cards for the past year that couldn't find a home in limited, plus some safety outlet cards for standard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

orangelex44 posted:

I'm not sure why people keep saying stuff like this - taking a look at, say, the white cards there basically aren't any that are more than passable for EDH. You've got Tazri as a mediocre commander, Harnessed Snubhorn as a generally worse version of existing effects, Spark Rupture as a sideboard option for other formats, Deification as an interesting card that has basically no practical use case, Coppercoat Vanguard as a 120th card for human tribal, and Metropolis Reformer as a... blocker for Canadian Highlander or something? Whatever Aftermath was supposed to be, it certainly wasn't a EDH plant set. It has at least as many inclusions that make it seem like a dumping ground for weird cards for the past year that couldn't find a home in limited, plus some safety outlet cards for standard.

I think some people get in the habit of seeing cards that they personally would never play ever, and just assume that they must be EDH cards, because of all the other times they've seen a card that they would never play but it turns out to be a big thing in EDH.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The cards in Aftermath are almost all cool or weird, it's just the presentation of the set that sucks poo poo

Should've been produced like a core set, with like 240 reprints from current standard plus the new cards so that way it's draftable, especially since standard is now a 3 year format for some loving reason

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I find it weird that they've really pushed this as story heavy when its really not. Oh heres a tired dinosaur. Niv mizzit didnt die. Some places are rebuilding

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I find it weird that they've really pushed this as story heavy when its really not. Oh heres a tired dinosaur. Niv mizzit didnt die. Some places are rebuilding

How else would you tell a story using cards,?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

HootTheOwl posted:

I mean, you can include more cards that actually have room for flavor text. Or at least a write a full blog post somewhere on the new post-MoM setting assumptions instead of having it fully contained in the short stories. (Well, one that's more flavorful than the one Mark Rosewater made as a preview.)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I mean, you can include more cards that actually have room for flavor text.
flavor text? In today's card design?

quote:

Or at least a write a full blog post somewhere on the new post-MoM setting assumptions instead of having it fully contained in the short stories. (Well, one that's more flavorful than the one Mark Rosewater made as a preview.)
But that's not on the card tho

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

HootTheOwl posted:

But that's not on the card tho

Yeah, I did kinda swerve into just complaining about them not talking about the story of Aftermath enough.

But to answer your question, I think they just devoted too many cards to showing that characters still exist. Take Tarkir. If they printed a sorcery showing what Sarkhan is doing to rebuild the plane now that he lost his spark instead of just showing us that he's still all about posing near dragons, it would feel a lot more like that plane has anything going on in Aftermath.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jabor posted:

I think some people get in the habit of seeing cards that they personally would never play ever, and just assume that they must be EDH cards, because of all the other times they've seen a card that they would never play but it turns out to be a big thing in EDH.

Well for one thing there’s a lot of legends in Aftermath. And since I think Commander is generally a more causal format, I assume there’s more space for weird, quirky or fun cards than Standard.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Did a paper MOM draft that added a single pack of Aftermath. We did the Aftermath pack combined with the first MOM pack, and then you get two first pick cards. Unsurprisingly most of the Aftermath cards went late in the round since many of them play to such specific strategies. I put two copies of Blot Out in my deck, plus one Undercity Upheaval and an Urborg Scavengers. Ultimately I went 1-2 running most GW with a Black splash.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Was it here I heard it was "alchemy for paper"?
I think I mentioned that before either in the other thread or on discord, but it's actually worse than alchemy since we don't get the discounted pack bundle on arena lol. It's still ONE even though it would have rotated to a hypothetical MOM alch bundle by now.

HootTheOwl posted:

I would do it through flavor text like on merciless repurposing and then directly contradict that through blog posts about how every praetor except Vorcinbclex is definitely dead.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

If it weren't for the physical reality of like... designing and printing cards I think there could be kind of an interesting space for: "mini set not designed for limited where we can put powerful cards to help strategies/keep things balanced" with a new 3 year standard

But considering the lead time on everything I don't think they can practically do that, so either it becomes an especially blatant cash grab or has to contain pretty safe cards that won't shake things up too much

Still, I'm looking forward to trying some of the more interesting cards at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Print the story in segments on the back of the art cards in set boosters so lore nerds collect all of them to read it.