Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Mix. posted:

new munecat new munecat new munecat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcxZFmKrxR8

God I have had far too much experience with Sov Cits. I used to manage a UPS store and they LOVE using those as their "official" addresses with government agencies, there were like five of them alone using my store. Insisted they didn't have to pay sales tax and "I don't need a driver's license, I have a traveling license because I am traveling through space on the planet Earth" was my favorite excuse when asking for photo ID.

She covers it all and this ending song is one of her better ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

I've got this page kept open to see if/when it ever loops, it's insidiously impressive

Kim Justice posted:

Tee-hee, love it :D

Speaking of which, there's more YT related boxing this weekend. WingsofRedemption and Boogie2988 are scheduled for three two-minute rounds on the undercard. Yes, that's a thing that's happening.

Boogie's the guy who had to get all his teeth replaced right? Hope he's got a decent mouthguard.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 12, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

The Saddest Rhino posted:

https://twitter.com/Q_Review/status/1656679052273676291?t=SA1XSbWeG9yVoNz0-ohclg&s=19

I think he should still make it, so we can have 520 hours of wiggling content to look forward to

he should seek professional help

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

DeafNote posted:

Meanwhile Darksydephil refused to be a part of that which, honestly, good on him.

phil is very smart

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am mildly curious about what trajectory the third Yellow Wiggle could have followed to be declared one of Australia’s women of the future. Perhaps she discovered the secret to sustainable wiggling.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Malpais Legate posted:

God I have had far too much experience with Sov Cits. I used to manage a UPS store and they LOVE using those as their "official" addresses with government agencies, there were like five of them alone using my store. Insisted they didn't have to pay sales tax and "I don't need a driver's license, I have a traveling license because I am traveling through space on the planet Earth" was my favorite excuse when asking for photo ID.

She covers it all and this ending song is one of her better ones.

As a connoisseur of Sovcit compellations and veteran of retail I can not get over how they talk to cops the same way a Karen talks to a guy working at Big 5 who won't accept a return of a used jump rope. You really think an American cop gives a poo poo when you ask for their 'supervisor' and won't hesitate to beat the poo poo out of you?

At least their cried of 'I do not consent' are fun.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 12, 2023

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Wiggles peaked when they took on a Māori member and he got to be the Brown Wiggle.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I AM GRANDO posted:

I am mildly curious about what trajectory the third Yellow Wiggle could have followed to be declared one of Australia’s women of the future. Perhaps she discovered the secret to sustainable wiggling.

It's impossible to overstate how popular Emma was here in Australia with young girls. She basically eclipsed the rest of the group and for a few years it felt like she was bigger than Elsa from Frozen.

She quit the group last year due to health and personal reasons, and the group had a bit of a turnover / expansion at the same time. Most of the new Wiggles are still there (including Emma's former husband Lachy, whose name Defunctland got wrong) but they've basically added in a second version of each.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

As someone in the northern hemisphere, I am astounded at how much Wiggle knowledge there is to master. I never would have guessed and I want to learn it all now.

It’s like how I always assumed that Baywatch must have been rescue stories on a beach with people in bikinis running in slow motion, but then I started watching Baywatching and discovered how absolutely insane it was from the first moment.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Poparena - Nick Knacks Ep 94 - Nickelodeon Studios: A Complete History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB-SIdOlw0k

The rise and fall of Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Was WingsofRedemption the one who got big on Call of Duty videos then went into a ton of debt because they acted like they were just going to make more and more money doing it?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

bobjr posted:

Was WingsofRedemption the one who got big on Call of Duty videos then went into a ton of debt because they acted like they were just going to make more and more money doing it?

he's also the guy who challenged someone to a call of duty match lost over something stupid lost and threw a tantrum then demanded to know whose stupid idea this was and his opponent meekly responded that it was wings idea lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I AM GRANDO posted:

As someone in the northern hemisphere, I am astounded at how much Wiggle knowledge there is to master. I never would have guessed and I want to learn it all now.

They are local to my area and I've got a seven year old daughter so I know far more than I need to.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I was just too old for Wiggles when they first came put, so the only thing I remember from that period is every woman over 30 thirsting for Cap'n Feathersword.

'He can shiver my timbers anytime' is burned into my brain.

I was expecting something related to that during the video, just from how Feathersword was introduced at the parks in his script.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There must always be four Wiggles in effect lest he in the grey skivvy, the Dark Wiggle, be unsealed and terrorize the land with his un-wholesome brand of wiggling.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I was honestly completely unaware there was anything more to The Wiggles than it being a show for pre-schoolers, but apparently it's a Big Deal? What the gently caress? Theres lore? :confused:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
YouTube is going back and automatically inserting additional midroll ads even in videos where the midrolls were originally manually placed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dqv6eM-oXw

Oh, and they're also testing adblock detection which will block video playback if you have an adblocker:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Mr.Radar posted:

YouTube is going back and automatically inserting additional midroll ads even in videos where the midrolls were originally manually placed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dqv6eM-oXw

Oh, and they're also testing adblock detection which will block video playback if you have an adblocker:

Lovely, the ad experience on YT is already terrible as-is. Some videos on the app get ads like every two minutes, and I've had pre-roll ads, a second of the video, then straight into more ads happen multiple times. I've also been trying to curate ads (mostly because I'm sick of seeing anti-vape commercials over and over and over), and one thing I discovered today is that you can't do anything about military ads!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Seriously use uBlock to block ads. Google is going to fail at blocking uBlock. The only reason twitch can pull it off is because its delivering live content. The only excuse is if you own apple.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean at this point the only explanation is that the ad experience is unwatchable on purpose to push as many people as possible towards Youtube Premium.

If Youtube actually rolls out adblock detection to their full userbase then existing anti adblock detection browser addons will go full steam towards working on Youtube, hell you'll probably see some dedicated ones just for Youtube as well similar to how tools exist to bypass Twitch ads.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Shinji2015 posted:

(mostly because I'm sick of seeing anti-vape commercials over and over and over)

But that's metal, in your lungs!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Seriously use uBlock to block ads. Google is going to fail at blocking uBlock. The only reason twitch can pull it off is because its delivering live content. The only excuse is if you own apple.

unless you use chrome or chromium because no adblocker will work soon

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Famethrowa posted:

unless you use chrome or chromium because no adblocker will work soon

Google keeps pushing back Manifest v3 because every time they come out with a new roadmap that definitively states when v2 is going to be force retired there's a huge outcry. It was originally supposed to happen in January, then got pushed to June, then got pushed to next January, and now even that date is "under review".

But yes the best solution is to put on your best pocketed T-shirt, cargo pants and flip flops, and switch to Firefox.

whatevenis
Jan 1, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

[Quinton] should seek professional help

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ann Reardon made a short documentary on the history of Betty Crocker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKrB_QGAOzw

Emperor Tigerstar talks about a surprising timezone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC-k2zDfREQ

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Sydin posted:

But yes the best solution is to put on your best pocketed T-shirt, cargo pants and flip flops, and switch to Firefox.

Hey

I don't wear flip-flops

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Reardon is a real one

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Facebook managed to defeat uBlock with a lot of money, time, and effort. I have no doubt that Google may be able to do the same.

All you have to do to defeat a world wide band of volunteers is to devote more resources to it than they can (which is a huge amount of resources so most companies don't).

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

youtube has also stopped youtube premium 'student edition' which is cheaper. so that sucks. they say its a glitch but whatever google you suck also you are evil as gently caress i hate you!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

fez_machine posted:

Facebook managed to defeat uBlock with a lot of money, time, and effort. I have no doubt that Google may be able to do the same.

How did they do that? Or is that the reason my FB local marketplace (one of the few reasons to still use FB for) i acting really odd at times wrt displaying stuff.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Lindsey Ellis posted a new Nebula exclusive about Guy Fieri. Great video, features some other Youtubers, including some guy whose face I don't quite recognize...:confuoot:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZEBekXS8jE
This is a fun one, Gabi looks into the history of the Indiana Jones hat.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

youtube has also stopped youtube premium 'student edition' which is cheaper. so that sucks. they say its a glitch but whatever google you suck also you are evil as gently caress i hate you!

The cool thing to do now is to VPN to India and get their pricing, since YouTube premium pricing is regional. I got a whole year for $20 CAD.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Zedd posted:

How did they do that? Or is that the reason my FB local marketplace (one of the few reasons to still use FB for) i acting really odd at times wrt displaying stuff.

From what I gather (neither side wants to talk too openly about what happened because it conveys to actionable information to the other side) they basically hosed up their sponsored post identifiers in a million different little ways so it takes major work to separate the legit posts from the sponsored ads by those maintaining the block list.

What ever content management system Facebook has for inserting the ads is able to do it without the messy stuff interfering.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I don't usually watch Wisecrack anymore since it's just another video-mill company, but sometimes they do put out interesting content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFLWoxHymI8

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Shinji2015 posted:

Lovely, the ad experience on YT is already terrible as-is. Some videos on the app get ads like every two minutes, and I've had pre-roll ads, a second of the video, then straight into more ads happen multiple times. I've also been trying to curate ads (mostly because I'm sick of seeing anti-vape commercials over and over and over), and one thing I discovered today is that you can't do anything about military ads!

Been close to giving up on the site entirely since I got an onslaught of far-right noise during elections (and outside of legal ad period too, but it's fine since those are "NGO" ads so they don't count) and now that that whole thing is over (worst election result imaginable, as expected) I have literally not seen a single ad that isn't some sports betting poo poo with the worst dubbing imaginable. Reporting it doesn't do squat since the company has five million fake accounts pumping out the same video, and requesting a review on it (since it's absolutely a scam) doesn't seem to do anything other than prove that the ad really got you to ~engage~ so maybe you'd like to see it a few thousand times more?

At this point the most likely solution would be to get rid of the app and only access it on desktop, but if they finally find a way to get around adblocks and I do reach the dark point in my life where I end up choosing to pay (more) for content™, I'd rather get a Nebula subscription before even entertaining the thought of getting YT Premium.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

Been close to giving up on the site entirely since I got an onslaught of far-right noise during elections (and outside of legal ad period too, but it's fine since those are "NGO" ads so they don't count) and now that that whole thing is over (worst election result imaginable, as expected) I have literally not seen a single ad that isn't some sports betting poo poo with the worst dubbing imaginable. Reporting it doesn't do squat since the company has five million fake accounts pumping out the same video, and requesting a review on it (since it's absolutely a scam) doesn't seem to do anything other than prove that the ad really got you to ~engage~ so maybe you'd like to see it a few thousand times more?

At this point the most likely solution would be to get rid of the app and only access it on desktop, but if they finally find a way to get around adblocks and I do reach the dark point in my life where I end up choosing to pay (more) for content™, I'd rather get a Nebula subscription before even entertaining the thought of getting YT Premium.

What elections? YT often times gets leaned on hard by english speaking big governments but basically just ignores everyone else. Facebook, too; they try and talk about how they're being as fair as possible but let genocides get started on their platform if people aren't speaking english.

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 13, 2023

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody else enjoy Georg's vids? https://youtu.be/yaFywAXkIh4

This one is the most realistic depiction of quitting smoking I've ever seen.
https://youtu.be/rfh96cS86CE

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

No.1 Special posted:

Poparena - Nick Knacks Ep 94 - Nickelodeon Studios: A Complete History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB-SIdOlw0k

The rise and fall of Nickelodeon Studios in Orlando, Florida.

Nickelodeon Studios always seemed like such a weird thing to me, and now I know why. They came up with the concept, executed it, and signed a 15-year contract to keep running it right before the popularity of Nicktoons exploded and the entire brand pivoted to that. So it was kind of a relic for most of its existence. Poparena always delivers.

Here's a good companion piece to this is the Defunctland video about the Nick Hotel and corresponding interview with a former Nick Hotel manager. If you think late-era Nickelodeon Studios sounds depressing, just wait until you hear about late-era Nick Hotel. This interview is fantastic. This lady was, it seems, born for the hospitality industry. I've never heard somebody sound so pleasant and upbeat while describing their experience of getting screamed at by some dad whose family got put into a lovely musty room with Spongebob painted on the cracked walls and an empty shelf where a television used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CN9HpYrjeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of_lyqUmCpk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

B33rChiller posted:

Anybody else enjoy Georg's vids? https://youtu.be/yaFywAXkIh4

I loved this one but I didn’t share with the class because I was worried it was possibly too much Georg for a first timer.

His technical knowledge and cynicism are a fun combination.