Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broadlybrowsing
Jul 5, 2021
It’s kind of strange to me how they decided to make the main open world area super washed out. The first level looked really cool, but parts of the out doors looks kind of bad to me. The night flip that happens for a couple of missions made it look so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I beat the tactics minigame through judicious use of blaster/staff droids, missile/hammer droids for bigger targets, and droidekas in the back to just gun motherfuckers down while they were dealing with the big melee guys.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Droidekas and melee chaff all day

The at-st is disappointingly bad for its point value

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuzz posted:

For sure. Another important thing is never use Stormtrooper commanders or the B1s. Melee B1 is just poo poo, but more importantly the two ranged mooks both throw grenades which have friendly fire and also they're dumb as gently caress and love to throw said grenades at your own melee units.

That is what makes them good. Fill your entire back line with then, put something tank in front, and an endless swarm of grenades murders everything. Your melee is just to draw enemies in amd it is so cheap you can save points to spam Droidikas on anything that doesn't work on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had read in the Steam reviews that after the Coruscant opener, for some PC players FPS issues disappeared once they got to the hub world. Since I already bought it, like the genius that I am, I played through Coruscant and sure enough, as soon as the leaving Coruscant cinematic kicks in I went from ~45 average FPS to rock solid 60 FPS. On the hub world I noticed some light stuttering during zone changes but otherwise excellent performance. I did set it aside because I didn't know what other problems might arise and I'd rather have a great experience playing it in a few months than a frustrating one now. One of my concerns was that the FPS problems would pop up when I went to other planets, or whenever I get sent back to Coruscant, is that in fact the case?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

zoux posted:

I had read in the Steam reviews that after the Coruscant opener, for some PC players FPS issues disappeared once they got to the hub world. Since I already bought it, like the genius that I am, I played through Coruscant and sure enough, as soon as the leaving Coruscant cinematic kicks in I went from ~45 average FPS to rock solid 60 FPS. On the hub world I noticed some light stuttering during zone changes but otherwise excellent performance. I did set it aside because I didn't know what other problems might arise and I'd rather have a great experience playing it in a few months than a frustrating one now. One of my concerns was that the FPS problems would pop up when I went to other planets, or whenever I get sent back to Coruscant, is that in fact the case?

You're never sent back to Coruscant as part of the story, and the other planets usually run about as well as Koboh

Turn off ray-tracing on the desert planet though (although the newer patches may have addressed that problem)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

zoux posted:

Are you playing with RTX on?

RTX runs like complete rear end on Coruscant.

ImpAtom posted:

That is what makes them good. Fill your entire back line with then, put something tank in front, and an endless swarm of grenades murders everything. Your melee is just to draw enemies in amd it is so cheap you can save points to spam Droidikas on anything that doesn't work on.

Yeah, I hadn't faced any droidekas yet when I beat the final battle, so I never actually got to use them or Magnaguards, just face them as enemies. As enemies the droidekas seemed to go down like bitches super easily, so I didn't realize they're actually decent.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

ZeeBoi posted:

Fuckin’ :laffo: at Rick the Door Technician.

Is there a trophy for letting him beat you?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Now the game just crashes when I do anything, A+

At least I beat it, although I had to watch the end on YouTube due to crashing. I want to start an NG+ but can’t even make it through a minute or two of slow walking coruscant now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

So uh seems like I should probably stay away from this on PC for a little bit more?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

explosivo posted:

So uh seems like I should probably stay away from this on PC for a little bit more?

That's the safest bet. It's run OK on my end, and a fair bit better after the patch. I've only crashed a couple times. In each case, it was during a long play session, and ziplining was involved. Might be related to asset streaming or motion blur

My advice: If you're about to do a puzzle or a section with a lot of platforming, be sure to save first

Dogen
May 5, 2002

YMMV for sure, I got through it with fine (but clearly suboptimal, like no dips under 60fps) performance for the most part, but this last patch is causing crashing in certain areas for me, and seemingly bad crashing in cutscenes for some reason. I can just wander around koboh with no problem, but… yeah if I were just starting now I seemingly couldn’t even really get through the opening.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011
If you're getting "dxgi_error_device_removed" on PC as a crash error, a complete fresh reinstall of your gpu driver might do the trick. I was one of the players who started experiencing crashes for the first time after the patch and it ran rock solid after that.

edit: something's rock solid or it isn't

Great Enoch fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 12, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Broadlybrowsing posted:

It’s kind of strange to me how they decided to make the main open world area super washed out. The first level looked really cool, but parts of the out doors looks kind of bad to me. The night flip that happens for a couple of missions made it look so much better

everything on jedha has a yellow filter, even indoors. white lightsabers look yellow, purple looks pink

...even indoors under artificial light

oops

https://medium.com/@mdheydt1/yellow-filter-and-representations-of-the-global-south-b7d3e725a1f5

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Great Enoch posted:

If you're getting "dxgi_error_device_removed" on PC as a crash error, a complete fresh reinstall of your gpu driver might do the trick. I was one of the players who started experiencing crashes for the first time after the patch and it ran pretty rock solid after that.

Hmm I’ll give it a shot.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Finished it; I know I am probably not great at the game, but hoo boy those last couple of hours were exhausting with the frequent wave-after-wave-of-enemies-rooms. Also the dodge kinda sucks compared to the first game and I definitely got myself cornered and stunlocked from full to death by plenty of staff-wielding battle droids.

I ended out with crossguard stance and double-bladed; the former is kinda fun to use but it baffles me that they made a slow-rear end claymore weapon in a game like this and not actually give it any poise (plus every enemy seems to start having super armor on everything and just tank whatever you do).

the game did successfully make me hate Bode though, I'll give it that much. Plus where Cal is at could serve as a very interesting place for the inevitable sequel; dunno if all of this is going to end up with a happy ending, or if Cal is going to end up breaking bad

Overall, I did have fun in like 70% of my time with the game, but I did come out feeling like a lot of the end battles were kinda bullshit plus I think that the combat aiming just to be exactly functional and little else hurts it when you start introducing all of these enemies in big battles.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I simply used the force to enjoy and defeat large battles and super armour enemies.

Also you almost never need to lock on in this game.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Great Enoch posted:

If you're getting "dxgi_error_device_removed" on PC as a crash error, a complete fresh reinstall of your gpu driver might do the trick. I was one of the players who started experiencing crashes for the first time after the patch and it ran rock solid after that.

edit: something's rock solid or it isn't

thanks for the thought, did a total wipe with DDU and it's still loving up, but was worth a shot.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Fuzz posted:

For sure. Another important thing is never use Stormtrooper commanders or the B1s. Melee B1 is just poo poo, but more importantly the two ranged mooks both throw grenades which have friendly fire and also they're dumb as gently caress and love to throw said grenades at your own melee units.

The stormtrooper commanders are really good against certain enemies, you can use masses of them to take out much more expensive troops, for example if the enemy has nothing but ranged themselves. That way you can save lots of points for the next wave, it is how I beat all of the holomatches without having the droideka or scorpion unlocked yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JBP posted:

I simply used the force to enjoy and defeat large battles and super armour enemies.

Once you get ripper mode Cal I dunno how you can die to anything less than a main boss.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Once you get ripper mode Cal I dunno how you can die to anything less than a main boss.

it's quite easy, you use ripper mode on a group of purge troopers, but then comes the next wave with the Sentry Droid that you didn't know about yet, ripper mode runs out, and you accidentally get put in the Sentry Droid blender and die

lesson was learned for the next time though

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

JBP posted:

Hard disagree about locking on. I absolutely needed it during the Vader fight and the fact that you have to reset your lock after every mid fight cutscene got me killed more than once.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think that a lot of the battles are meant to be unfair if all you do is saber duel them, especially when you get melee and ranged enemies covering each other's weaknesses and not allowing you an opening. Force powers are there to break open those seemingly unfair encounters, whether it's mind controlling an annoying flame trooper or instakilling a heavy battle droid by flinging it off a cliff.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

Hard disagree about locking on. I absolutely needed it during the Vader fight and the fact that you have to reset your lock after every mid fight cutscene got me killed more than once.

Yeah you only need to lock on during 1v1 fights. That's why I said almost never, you don't want it for fighting groups. Your block and deflect is 360 and free look is more useful.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

MechaX posted:

I ended out with crossguard stance and double-bladed; the former is kinda fun to use but it baffles me that they made a slow-rear end claymore weapon in a game like this and not actually give it any poise (plus every enemy seems to start having super armor on everything and just tank whatever you do).

Crossguard definitely requires you to be way, way more deliberate than any other stance but I mean, look at this way: Elden Ring, Dark Souls, etc have poise systems because they don't give you half a dozen different ways to pin whole groups of enemies to the ground/suspend them in the air, stagger them etc so that you can take your sweet time about actually hitting them.

Wrenching pull is available pretty early and staggers targets long enough to do the crossguard big sweep attack. The ground pound shockwave upgrade is very useful too: if nothing else you can use that to keep dangerous melee units off balance while taking out ranged enemies with the amplified reflected shots upgrade.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dogen posted:

Droidekas and melee chaff all day

The at-st is disappointingly bad for its point value
I got some use of it, especially with backup. What it hits, it oneshots, and it can tank anything short of missiles.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

I got some use of it, especially with backup. What it hits, it oneshots, and it can tank anything short of missiles.

I tried it out twice and it just seemed to have awful accuracy and shockingly low hp

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I love my daughter and that's why I'm going to give her a life "safe from the Empire" where she can spend like 3 decades with only me for company going half mad until I die then go the rest of the way mad spending torturous decades utterly alone on an uninhabited ruin. Awesome plan Bode no notes.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Owlbear Camus posted:

I love my daughter and that's why I'm going to give her a life "safe from the Empire" where she can spend like 3 decades with only me for company going half mad until I die then go the rest of the way mad spending torturous decades utterly alone on an uninhabited ruin. Awesome plan Bode no notes.

Tannalore is like the One Ring I guess in that it makes you stupid and obsessive, Bode is basically gollum and in this essay I will demonstrate wh

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TremorX posted:

Tannalore is like the One Ring I guess in that it makes you stupid and obsessive, Bode is basically gollum and in this essay I will demonstrate wh

Dude I've been thinking the same thing, and wondering if we're gonna find out that place is actually totally cursed

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Dude I've been thinking the same thing, and wondering if we're gonna find out that place is actually totally cursed

There's a line in the post-game where Cal mentions sensing something off about the planet.

But in Bode's specific case I don't think whatever is up with Tannalore factors. Dude had already gone way over the edge before setting foot on the place.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Instead of Cal doing the double tap because Bode just couldn't be talked down and kept going, imagine if it was BD-1 doing the kill as revenge for Cordova

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

bobjr posted:

Instead of Cal doing the double tap because Bode just couldn't be talked down and kept going, imagine if it was BD-1 doing the kill as revenge for Cordova

I'd be down for BD-1 applying electro-darts to the balls until Bode died for his sins of killing Cordova AND daring to hit BD-1.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah, that plan was completely idiotic and only served to illustrate further that Bode was unable to really think things through. He was just obsessed.

Damone
May 3, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

There's a line in the post-game where Cal mentions sensing something off about the planet.

But in Bode's specific case I don't think whatever is up with Tannalore factors. Dude had already gone way over the edge before setting foot on the place.

Bode did seem a little off just before the final confrontation. He was already kind of shaken by something before he realizes Cal and co are there.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Damone posted:

Bode did seem a little off just before the final confrontation. He was already kind of shaken by something before he realizes Cal and co are there.

Eh, he was fresh off that confrontation on Nova Garon. Cal was pretty off himself; poo poo was traumatic.

To be clear, I'm okay with something being off with the creepy nowhere planet, but I will be flat-out pissed if they ever reveal that it played a part in Cal killing Bode. Subverting your character's agency with a McGuffin to defray their accountability is dumb and I don't like it.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

Eh, he was fresh off that confrontation on Nova Garon. Cal was pretty off himself; poo poo was traumatic.

To be clear, I'm okay with something being off with the creepy nowhere planet, but I will be flat-out pissed if they ever reveal that it played a part in Cal killing Bode. Subverting your character's agency with a McGuffin to defray their accountability is dumb and I don't like it.

The story tells you repeatedly that they gave him every chance to end things peacefully and he kept trying to kill them regardless. He was too far gone in his obsession and paranoia

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Skippy McPants posted:

Cal first tapped into the Darkside on the asteroid base, not Tanalorr

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

The story tells you repeatedly that they gave him every chance to end things peacefully and he kept trying to kill them regardless. He was too far gone in his obsession and paranoia

SirSamVimes posted:

Cal first tapped into the Darkside on the asteroid base, not Tanalorr

I know. I was responding to the speculation that Tanalorr was having some undue influence on Bode during the final encounter, and how it would be dumb if that were the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Skippy McPants posted:

I know. I was responding to the speculation that Tanalorr was having some undue influence on Bode during the final encounter, and how it would be dumb if that were the case.

Seems like there's always some good/evil catalysing effect in places with strong force things going on. I'm fine with Tanalorr having some spooky things happening but I also think Bode already hosed himself up by being a snitch for the feds (twice).