Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

pseudorandom name posted:

Make an Enchantment Library and you can produce a book with every single enchant you want on your item so there's no anvil cost.

You can extract enchantments from the loot you find exploring the world using e.g. an Industrial Foregoing Enchantment Extractor and throw those books into your Enchantment Library.

Be careful if your modpack gives you loot Enchantment Books at a higher level than you can produce naturally, if you put those books into your Enchantment Library it'll properly store the point value of that enchantment but you won't be able to extract a book at that level.

At least AllTheMods8 lets you use tomes to get that last +1 and they store and retrieve as expected.

And yeah, AllTheModium armor with affixes is loving dumb. I was running around at sonic speed, murdering Wardens for sport.

Shame The Other is such a boring dimension. Just two biomes and the occasional structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
What kind of machoistic sadistic author makes it so if power is interrupted or low it just destroys everything that enters it?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

What kind of machoistic sadistic author makes it so if power is interrupted or low it just destroys everything that enters it?

The OG BetterThanWolves guy?

Sounds like the kind of dumb stuff that example would do, anyway.

Oh and there would be a gimp EOD suit to survive the explosion.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Echophonic posted:

At least AllTheMods8 lets you use tomes to get that last +1 and they store and retrieve as expected.

And yeah, AllTheModium armor with affixes is loving dumb. I was running around at sonic speed, murdering Wardens for sport.

Shame The Other is such a boring dimension. Just two biomes and the occasional structure.

Would I want to do the same with weapons? I took a spin at some silent gear stuff but the whole grading materials for SSS/Max and then star charging looked real annoying. I'm thinking of just doing some end city raiding for gear, salvaging and just going all in on ATM for armor and weapons. All I need to figure out is how to replace my current Elytra flight (mage robes with gliding thread)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Would I want to do the same with weapons? I took a spin at some silent gear stuff but the whole grading materials for SSS/Max and then star charging looked real annoying. I'm thinking of just doing some end city raiding for gear, salvaging and just going all in on ATM for armor and weapons. All I need to figure out is how to replace my current Elytra flight (mage robes with gliding thread)

Yeah, definitely. Affixes make for some very stupid weapons. Don't have the stuff for an Angel Ring? Movement speed from Apotheosis applies to that creative-like flight, too.

And pro-tip for, well, everything in AllTheMods8: Make a Time in a Bottle. Makes everything just so much smoother if you end up running around doing random poo poo. You can just tear through stuff like Max graded gear. I also had better luck with T2 grading materials, since they were a lot easier to make and thus set on fire. Yu don't NEED Max rank stuff, but it can give you some serious boosts.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I did it! Using threefold (youtuber) video and some help I got diesel production going. Right now I'm using my super tank of fuel as a quasi chemical reactor because I have 4 million fuel to go through and another 4 million oil so it's not in true production mode until that gets sorted but it's working. I will also reconnect the electrolyzer doing water into hydrogen and oxygen(which gets fed into a super tank above it) once I empty these hydro gas cells. :feelsgood:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can attach a Machine Controller cover to a multiblock to override this. With a machine controller cover, a power underrun will cause the multiblock to enter a voiding loop, continually mulching inputs every tick until power is restored.

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
That essential meanness permeates the whole mod. It sucks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I don't like that feature very much. It's not even a difficult thing to mitigate -- you just push the "safe mode" button in the cover's UI -- but it's something you have to remember to do every time you use a machine controller cover. The copy/paste tool for covers helps some, but it's still just a boilerplate task you have to do every time you set up a multiblock that needs to be controlled by redstone signals. See also: output overflow voiding. Making an LCR to passively process a resource? Better remember your fluid detector and machine controller covers, or you will void a heroic amount of stuff.

The only time I've ever left safe mode off is for the Planetary Gas Siphon or Void Miner. Siphons continually suck gases from gas giant planets when mounted to a space station in orbit, and don't actually consume resources. Same with the void miner -- it just continually trades power for resources native to the dimension the void miner inhabits without exhausting anything in the ground. If those things lose power, it's not a big deal for them to just sit and spin pointlessly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bhodi posted:

not sure i agree with that, op. i'm not at the "strip mining galaxies" stage yet but that machine controller autovoid is the only thing i've encountered that makes me go "ok that breaks the modpack's own rules of engagement"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

not sure i agree with that, op. i'm not at the "strip mining galaxies" stage yet but that machine controller autovoid is the only thing i've encountered that makes me go "ok that breaks the modpack's own rules of engagement"

The only other thing that bothers me is that as you tech up, the machines get dumber.

Consider a single block combustion generator. You put in light fuel, it makes power. When the power isn't needed, it doesn't run. It can start and stop without penalty, and perfectly rations fuel.

Now, at EV, the multiblock combustion engine unlocks. However, it's significantly dumber. When it's on, it continually makes power, even if the power isn't needed. It also takes time to reach full fuel efficiency once turned on. To effectively use this generator, you have to read a central power buffer (lapotronic super capacitor, battery buffer) with an energy detector cover, and use the analog signal from the cover to turn an RS Latch on and off. In this way, you only run the generator when the power is needed. (Or two energy detector covers set to a high and low binary threshold, if analog redstone is too much of a bother to deal with.)

I believe the stated reason for this is that the pack expects a slowly increasing level of engineering skill from you as you progress. Machines like the dissolution tank (IV/LuV), neutron activator (LuV), and bacteria vat (technically HV, but isn't required until wetwares) are flat out unusable without a certain degree of redstone circuitry expertise. Multiblock voiding (in both forms) is also a form of this, though it starts earlier and the penalty is disproportionately severe. Still, it is kind of jarring to one's expectations. I expect a low tech machine to be dumber than a high tech machine, but the opposite is the case.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I might only have 5 stacks of aluminium right now but I'm now the proud owner of 6 stacks of stainless steel :toot:

Now to go see what it takes to make the chips for HV circuits :shepface:

E: I wonder if there's a way to get NEI's recipe list loaded into an app or web page of some kind. I swear half the time I want to check a recipe it's when I'm thinking about a to-do list of stuff I want later that day and I wish I could check recipes and recipes-to-make-recipes on my work break. The wiki works about half the time, I find

bawk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 11, 2023

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So that diesel got created over night and I now have 4 million diesel in a super tank along with another 4 million oil that can be processed and 500k light fuel left. I imagine I am good to convert my LV machines to using combustion generators instead of steam correct? And I can take the 500k light fuel and convert that to plastic and use up the 12 million steam in my RC tank in the process and then just repurpose the RC tank into a diesel storage? I will still have a 2 million steam RC tank I can use for other things or specifically just my EBF until I decide to throw MV hatches on it.

I also like leaving my server running 24/7, should I get out of that habit unless I have specific things running in the background that need processing while I'm not on?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

I also like leaving my server running 24/7, should I get out of that habit unless I have specific things running in the background that need processing while I'm not on?

not a big deal now, but later on AE2 can be a big power draw, so depending on what kind of passive power generation/banking you have it may hurt you.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I dunno, ever since hitting Super Tanks I've been thinking that RC tanks are just obsolete now. 1 block holds as much as a 5x5 RC steel tank and it can be moved around, it might be worth just scrapping and recycling them for the materials in a recycler after siphoning their contents into a super tank.

I'm thinking of just combining all my existing tank walls/parts into one large iron tank for water, just for the aesthetic, and making it a water tower. I did something similar with Immersive Engineering in another modpack and loved the towering landmark on the horizon, would be cooler on a non-skyblock world when gliding around.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

bawk posted:

I dunno, ever since hitting Super Tanks I've been thinking that RC tanks are just obsolete now.

They are. There ARE upgraded railcraft tanks with higher capacity (neutronium one actually hits integer limit), but they're mostly intended for style rather than function. Super tanks are your workhorse.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Holyshoot posted:

So that diesel got created over night and I now have 4 million diesel in a super tank along with another 4 million oil that can be processed and 500k light fuel left. I imagine I am good to convert my LV machines to using combustion generators instead of steam correct? And I can take the 500k light fuel and convert that to plastic and use up the 12 million steam in my RC tank in the process and then just repurpose the RC tank into a diesel storage? I will still have a 2 million steam RC tank I can use for other things or specifically just my EBF until I decide to throw MV hatches on it.

4 million diesel will give you 791 hours of LV combustion generator run time. You're good to switch!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They are. There ARE upgraded railcraft tanks with higher capacity (neutronium one actually hits integer limit), but they're mostly intended for style rather than function. Super tanks are your workhorse.

Operation Big-rear end Water Tower is GO

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Fun fact, if you sleep with the super tank debuff after setting it down it gets rid of it immediately. Handy for when you need to move a super tank with a liquid that gives you those debuffs for five mins.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Railcraft tanks just look fun and that's why I only have a single Super Tank I so far (it holds my Diesel). I suppose you could slap a super tank underneath one to be your functional tank while also having the big railcraft tank on top if you don't mind the footprint they take up. But yeah, I definitely do need to start consolidating my big liquid storage into super tanks just to save on physical space.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Terra Wart is good to keep on hand to clear super tank carrying debuffs. Plant nether wart on cropsticks on regular farmland, and put a full snow block below the farmland. It'll eventually turn blue. Terra Wart can be eaten to clear all negative debuffs (and retains positive ones, unlike milk buckets.) It's also a really good source of auram and praecantatio.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I like a decent level of challenge but I really can't with mod authors being deliberately trollish in the way they construct things. It's why I abandoned Interactions (because gently caress putting mid-level ores behind the loving CHAOS DRAGON) and GT:NH and went back to Nomifactory. Nomi is hard but fair. I'm trying out CEU and enjoying it thus far. I know I'm gonna miss out on some of the weird cool ultra-endgame creations of NH, but all the decisions turning literally everything into a struggle or a stumbling block or a flat-out troll just make it unenjoyable after a while.

Like, give me a version of GT:NH that's less trollish and a bit more forgiving and I'd play it, but after a while it just got frustrating and unrewarding. Jesus, even all the Thaumcraft research was amped up to 11. I actually enjoy the TC4 research game and that poo poo was still turned into an unbearable slog in GT:NH.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 11, 2023

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Never Play Perfidious Gergion

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

RocketMermaid posted:

Like, give me a version of GT:NH that's less trollish and a bit more forgiving and I'd play it, but after a while it just got frustrating and unrewarding. Jesus, even all the Thaumcraft research was amped up to 11. I actually enjoy the TC4 research game and that poo poo was still turned into an unbearable slog in GT:NH.

... the research in GTNH is unchanged from the TC4 default. Well, the research table UI is a bit different. The recipes? Sure, those are harder. Good thing you never have to do magic until the very, very late game. (Even I burn out before I get to that point.)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
not really sure what recipes stick out as being trolls specifically. I think the most involved early thing you wind up doing is the firebricks for your PBF, which is a bit on the annoying side but can be significantly "solved" using a water tank.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

RocketMermaid posted:

Yeah, I like a decent level of challenge but I really can't with mod authors being deliberately trollish in the way they construct things. It's why I abandoned Interactions (because gently caress putting mid-level ores behind the loving CHAOS DRAGON) and GT:NH and went back to Nomifactory. Nomi is hard but fair. I'm trying out CEU and enjoying it thus far. I know I'm gonna miss out on some of the weird cool ultra-endgame creations of NH, but all the decisions turning literally everything into a struggle or a stumbling block or a flat-out troll just make it unenjoyable after a while.

GTNH was probably made for people who beat nomi or think it's too easy. Nomi can be beaten in like 400-700 hours? It's nice there's a more elongated and intricate version of the game for people who want to take longer. At least that's the way I see it. Also none of the single blocks troll you and void your item if it doesn't have enough power. Only the multiblock from what I can tell and if you've made it far enough for multiblock I think it's more on you to make sure your power is stable and its not some jerry-rigged system you're trying to force through and clearly aren't ready for.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

GTNH was probably made for people who beat nomi or think it's too easy. Nomi can be beaten in like 400-700 hours? It's nice there's a more elongated and intricate version of the game for people who want to take longer. At least that's the way I see it. Also none of the single blocks troll you and void your item if it doesn't have enough power. Only the multiblock from what I can tell and if you've made it far enough for multiblock I think it's more on you to make sure your power is stable and its not some jerry-rigged system you're trying to force through and clearly aren't ready for.

GTNH predates Omnifactory. By a lot.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Polyethylene automation done. Using up the last of my 500k of light fuel for it.

Also setup a my diesel super tank where i do most of my crafting and then it pipes under it to an underground corridor that feeds the fuel to engines that are next to the machines.

Those are Redstone alloy so no cable loss for the LV machines. Not sure if I went crazy with the amount of cabling or if it can all just feed off one line?

4 combustion engines power the 14 LV machines (they aren't all running constantly). And 4 MV combustion engines power those machines so far. I also like how the slope roof of the chests turned out. I just wish I could get rid of the chests under the machines somehow.

Edit: Also built the copter pack and it's amazing. Highly recommend it!

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 12, 2023

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, there has to be something up with unique oregen in Vault Hunters. Like, I get that the 0-5 range is swingy for output combined with Fortune 5, but eeesh, game. I'm level 44 with 71 vaults run.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Welp, trying the latest version of nomifactory gtceu. You guys have any good beginners guides or tips handy?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Umbreon posted:

Welp, trying the latest version of nomifactory gtceu. You guys have any good beginners guides or tips handy?

Just play GTNH if you're doing GTCEU already. It's most of the pain and little of the Fun and additions of the former.

E: Oh apparently the mod now has an expert mode which separates out all masochist stuff.

If it's anything like normal Nomifactory you'll want to always build at least 2-3 of every machine it says to and parallelize as early as possible. Deep-mob-learning is your go-to for resource generation and should be set up asap. Numistatic engines are your best power early and run off coins from DML - until then you can use a Snad block with sugar cane, some form of redstone tick repeater, and a piston to autoharvest fuel to stuff into engines with a vacuum chest.

Ore generation is in giant veins and with coins you can get a drill pretty early that digs an, iirc, 3x3x..2? or some such which will let you tear them apart quickly.

You can connect a drawer controller directly to the special workbench the quest book points you to as a poor man's AE2 crafting terminal - just stuff all your components into 2x2 drawers until you set up your network.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 12, 2023

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Just play GTNH if you're doing GTCEU already. It's most of the pain and little of the Fun and additions of the former.

E: Oh apparently the mod now has an expert mode which separates out all masochist stuff.

If it's anything like normal Nomifactory you'll want to always build at least 2-3 of every machine it says to and parallelize as early as possible. Deep-mob-learning is your go-to for resource generation and should be set up asap. Numistatic engines are your best power early and run off coins from DML - until then you can use a Snad block with sugar cane, some form of redstone tick repeater, and a piston to autoharvest fuel to stuff into engines with a vacuum chest.

Ore generation is in giant veins and with coins you can get a drill pretty early that digs an, iirc, 3x3x..2? or some such which will let you tear them apart quickly.

You can connect a drawer controller directly to the special workbench the quest book points you to as a poor man's AE2 crafting terminal - just stuff all your components into 2x2 drawers until you set up your network.

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, but ore generation seems to be handled a bit different than what you're describing. I used the scanner they gave and on my way down to wherever the vein was, I had to have picked up at least 16 different ores, And when I finally got to what I think was the vein, all the specific ore I was looking for was spread out all over the place and there wasn't much of it.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 13, 2023

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Umbreon posted:

I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong, but ore generation seems to be handled a bit different than what you're describing. I used the scanner they gave and on my way down to wherever the vein was, I had to have picked up at least 16 different ores, And when I finally got to what I think was the vein, all the specific word I was looking for was spread out all over the place and there wasn't much of it.

That's gregtech ore generation. Veins are huge, but contain more than one type of ore. Near veins, related ores will spawn in "small ore" blocks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rynoto posted:

As someone who's been doing Nomifactory GTCEu Port and GTNH at the same time this is completely wrong. GTNH is way more of a PITA than Nomi GTCEu.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

... the research in GTNH is unchanged from the TC4 default. Well, the research table UI is a bit different. The recipes? Sure, those are harder. Good thing you never have to do magic until the very, very late game. (Even I burn out before I get to that point.)

I know the research minigame itself is unchanged, but all the recipes are made as large as possible, which... what is the point exactly? Grind for the sake of grind?

Anyway, I'm enjoying Nomi CEU so far, so it's all gravy. I just wish Nomifactory had a 1.7.10 equivalent that wasn't deliberately made unpleasant so I could shove Chromaticraft and TC4 into it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Just saw this on TikTok and if it weren't for Tears of the Kingdom, I think I'd be playing this to take breaks from GTNH :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFZgq-zPkw8

https://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/rsmc-the-third-age/

Looks like it's not terribly new by any means (trailer is a year old) but the nostalgia is real

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

McFrugal posted:

That's gregtech ore generation. Veins are huge, but contain more than one type of ore. Near veins, related ores will spawn in "small ore" blocks.

What should I do with all the piles of miscellaneous ores? I'm not sure what any of it does yet(everything has strange names I've never heard of and long chemical equation strings), so I've been stuffing what I find into chests, but it's a huge mess of ores.

Anything I should look to hold on to for the early/mid game?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Umbreon posted:

What should I do with all the piles of miscellaneous ores? I'm not sure what any of it does yet(everything has strange names I've never heard of and long chemical equation strings), so I've been stuffing what I find into chests, but it's a huge mess of ores.

Anything I should look to hold on to for the early/mid game?

Assuming it's similar to GTNH hold onto the stuff you can electrolyze and centrifuge. As it can give the base mat plus extra stuff.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Assuming it's similar to GTNH hold onto the stuff you can electrolyze and centrifuge. As it can give the base mat plus extra stuff.

Is there a way to check which ores can do that? I've never played any of these kinds of modpacks before, so this is all new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Umbreon posted:

Is there a way to check which ores can do that? I've never played any of these kinds of modpacks before, so this is all new to me.

I assume the pack has JEI or the like, in which case press "u' when mousing over the item to see what it is used for.

This will open a window that should have tabs across the top for the various methods of consumption/machines, click one of those e.g. furnace to see what recipes it has with that method, and so on.