Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

ive only seen our lot totally full once

lead up to easter weekend or something

wwjd

Well most of us are smart enough to know when to avoid Costco.

If they don't, I'd hesitate to call them one of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

gently caress you, I tried these and they're basically just flavored with citric acid and lighter fluid. It wasn't just me, everyone who tried some was taken aback. I like other BBQ or Hot flavored pork rinds just fine. I was expecting these to at least taste like Takis but they were beyond caustic.

Yeah, there’s some of that. I think it’s the concentrated tajin? By the end I kind of liked it, got some sort of pork rind Stockholm syndrome going on I guess.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

the parking lot at my costco is full to bursting at literally all times except like 10 minutes before closing

does anyone else’s costco have a huge Muslim community? I’m always curious why they seem to congregate there compared to anywhere else where I live.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i dont know where else you can get a pork free hotdog (and soda with free refill) for a dollar fifty.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

pencilhands posted:

the parking lot at my costco is full to bursting at literally all times except like 10 minutes before closing

does anyone else’s costco have a huge Muslim community? I’m always curious why they seem to congregate there compared to anywhere else where I live.

Not my Costco, and before I say this, this is no indication of anything, but back when I had a Sam's club membership, I saw quite a few there. The reason being, they were shop owners and Sam's Club is way better for small shop owners than Costco. The items you can buy there are easier for resale and there are more of them. And you can buy cigarettes.

When i'd go pick up my stores orders on Tuesdays, I'd see a large presence. Usually one of the big carts full of stuff and they were buying $2000+ in cigarettes, easy.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

ShowTime posted:

Not my Costco, and before I say this, this is no indication of anything, but back when I had a Sam's club membership, I saw quite a few there. The reason being, they were shop owners and Sam's Club is way better for small shop owners than Costco. The items you can buy there are easier for resale and there are more of them. And you can buy cigarettes.

When i'd go pick up my stores orders on Tuesdays, I'd see a large presence. Usually one of the big carts full of stuff and they were buying $2000+ in cigarettes, easy.

Man that’s loving sick. Sometimes I think about opening a convenience store or something I loving hate working for people but I bet it carries a lot of its own annoyances. I’m just so sick of dealing with the rat race.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

pencilhands posted:

does your costco sell entire frozen lamb and goat?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i feel like i saw them at a business center

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Hoooly poo poo this just unlocked a core memory I had totally forgotten.

In middle school I had a strong crush on one particular girl at school. We went to a pretty small school on the outskirts of the bay area that only had a few hundred people per class.

I was in the Maui Costco warehouse when I saw this exact girl- I think at that point we were both in Junior High. That was wild.

Man idk how I forgot about that. Costco provides.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The tub of white queso is incredibly disappointing. Doesn’t compare to the Olé at my grocery store. :smith:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I got my iPad yesterday and I’m super happy with it because there’s a 90 day return policy no questions asked, Costco fuckin rules

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

bagmonkey posted:

I got my iPad yesterday and I’m super happy with it because there’s a 90 day return policy no questions asked, Costco fuckin rules

Fruit ninja much?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

After like, 5 years of trying Costco finally got a permit to build a store here in Albany. They're putting it right next to the gigantic mall so traffic will definitely be very cool and good lol

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

halokiller posted:

When we took a pilgrimage out of state to the gigantic Costco combined business center in Salt Lake City we snapped a bunch of pictures of the great selection of halal foods for our Muslim neighbor at home. She was very impressed and simultaneously annoyed that our local Costco didn't carry anything like that.

I only flew with a carry-on on that trip so the logistics of bringing home a whole refrigerated goat didn't work out.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
I love the business center because of that convenience store packaging. I like to pretend my kitchen is a store that sells only the snacks I like

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Went to Costco for essentials. Got the chicken alfredo pasta take-n-bake as well. Getting fat tonite.

Bread Zeppelin
Aug 2, 2006
Stairway to Leaven

pencilhands posted:

Some, but my favorite religious sightings at Costco are the fundamentalist polygamist mormons that bring in 6 or 7 women garbed in frontier dresses and 1800s schoolteacher hairdos.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Chinatown posted:

Went to Costco for essentials. Got the chicken alfredo pasta take-n-bake as well. Getting fat tonite.

It needs some more flavor, so add spinach and garlic or pepper or something, but it's a good dollars/quantity ratio.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

binge crotching posted:

It needs some more flavor, so add spinach and garlic or pepper or something, but it's a good dollars/quantity ratio.

Some of the better parm a few aisles over also won't go amiss.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

thinking to garlic and red peppah flakes

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yo the chinese pork Costco carries is so good, if you cook Chinese food. You should, it is very good and healthy! Even if you don't do chinese food, it's amazing for almost any scenario.

It's never been a better time to learn how to cook, and Costco is really the backbone of allowing that in modern times as long as you're careful about not being wasteful. Items that own to buy at Costco for home cooking include:

1) Rotisserie Chickens to be used in other dishes, and also to make chicken stock. Probably the best deal in food, period, anywhere.

2) Staples like heads of garlic, onions of various types (we keep red, yellow, white and sweet onions on hand in the garage where they keep forever). This also enables the creation of french onion soup at any time, which is an enormous plus.

3) Certain raw and processed meats - chicken thighs, chinese pork, high grade shrimp (peep the ones in the big white boxes they are insane) but a key point here is Costco has two major kinds of sales. They have the coupon book sale which is ok, but it's not often that the coupon book has sales on staple food items. It's more like... processed stuff, which is fine but not if you're trying to eat well and also somewhat cheaply.

What you're actually looking for is the secondary coupons that come out in between the big books. These are often more modest, which makes people less interested, but this is what you really want because they include $1-2 discounts on various Costco brand staple foods that are already a good deal. Then on top of that, they tend to rotate "take $4 a package of X protein". Those own because if you snipe the smallest packages you can save even more, and this is where a chest freezer comes in. Idk how people survive without a chest freezer these days, but freezing the rotating Costco proteins in bulk is really a main cornerstone of doing staples at Costco.

4) Veggies that can be used quickly and/or keep well, and are a great price vs. the supermarket, see: Shiitakes, cotton candy grapes, heads of romaine lettuce, baby cucumbers, sugar snap peas, brocolli, etc.

For example my wife is in healthcare and I'm a wfh tech guy, so I tend to manage the food while she is in charge of hitting the store on the way home if I need anything. One thing I always keep on hand for emergencies is frozen pizza, but we make our own.

Making your own frozen pizza/sauce means you're controlling the health and quality of the ingredients, and is completely delicious when re-heated using the "steam in a pan with the lid on then crisp the bottom" method. I use ingredients entirely from Costco and my cost basis ends up being insanely low. It's insane how cheap pizza is to make and how easy it ultimately is to do. I recommend a pizza steel.

Anyways this post is getting out of hand but I don't think people talk enough about exactly how to eat healthy and cheaply from Costco. I argue this is one of the only consistently repeatable ways to eat super high quality food on the cheap.

Honestly if you're not actively working on your cooking skills right now you are going to get eaten alive. Processed food has never been shittier and never been more expensive. We all have to take control of our food, now, not later imo.

I live alone with my wife, and since we don't want kids we have literally spent 15 years perfecting how to buy things from Costco for 2 people and not wasting much. It was useful then but it's loving essential now, and it's the only thing keeping our food bills reasonable without downgrading the quality of our food intake in 2023. AMA on this useful skill

Taima fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 14, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Taima posted:

Yo the chinese pork Costco carries is so good, if you cook Chinese food.
pic

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

It even comes with spicy chinese mustard and sesame seeds so even just heating it up and eating slices of it OWNS

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 14, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

gonna need them after pics too

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

:chef:

No specific pic but I can guarantee you it looks a lot like this other similar dish I did recently:

But Costco is dope for a lot of east asian stuff:

Bibimbap

Costco is amazing for fresh sushi grade tuna and salmon

Costco ingredients made all of this except for the basil:

Costco is the best resource for high quality ingredients out there (as of this writing at least). It's loving absurd how much food is being gouged right now. It should be illegal. There should be a maximum margin that you can make on food and you are penalized the rest. Btw I believe this is how Costco operates; they take a baseline margin for the stuff they sell. So unless that changed (SHAREHOLDERS!!!!) Costco will in theory continue to be the best deal for high quality base ingredients.

That being said Costco does often specialize in organic food, and if you don't care about that, obviously the asian market in your locale will be a great bet for vegetables and other staples. Costco is still probably better deal for protein though on a quality basis. I love how Choice grade is where Costco starts on their meat totem pole and it just goes up from there.

I have noticed though that red meat is coming down pretty fast at the supermarket; Fred Meyer just ran buy 1 get 1 free tri tips which was like $5.55 a pound or so- meat is a notch or two below Costco but that's tough to beat.

It's been tough world wide, I recently had a conversation with a French dude and he was saying how the bread culture of France is starting to die because high quality loaves and other baked goods are becoming too expensive to buy in quantity. The high quality stuff you associate with the region is becoming more of a special occasion thing. Which made me really sad. If you can't get a decent price quality loaf in France then we're all hosed.

It feels really obvious to me that unless something drastically changes, the entire food structure of the world is changing for the worse. The only way I can think of to keep eating healthy food is to cook it yourself.

Taima fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 14, 2023

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The discussion about cooking just reminded me of the other thing that Costco hasn't had the last two times I've been: flour.

Seriously what the gently caress.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Normally we don't allow marketers to advertise on SA but since it's Costco I'll make an exception

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

The discussion about cooking just reminded me of the other thing that Costco hasn't had the last two times I've been: flour.

did you try thee business center

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

That doesn't seem to be a thing in my area. :( I'm in Western Australia if you want to figure it out and correct me.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

where do you go to buy a pallet of vegemite

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Alan Smithee posted:

There's only 23 Costco business centers in the US and 10 of them are in California, which is bullshit. I live in a metro area of 4.5 million people and the closest one is 4 states away in New Jersey.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Whooping Crabs posted:

There's only 23 Costco business centers in the US and 10 of them are in California, which is bullshit. I live in a metro area of 4.5 million people and the closest one is 4 states away in New Jersey.

finally

the private sector has fixed the electoral college

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yoloer420 posted:

That doesn't seem to be a thing in my area. :( I'm in Western Australia if you want to figure it out and correct me.

chinese market ala ranch 99?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t ever tell me to “peep” things.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Don’t ever tell me to “peep” things.

peep deez

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

yoloer420 posted:

Specifically, King Arthur brand flour. Last year my home-baker spouse was ecstatic when she found Costco carried that brand, as it's one of the best for baked goods. When it ran out recently, we went back to get more and found its been replaced by some garbage brand of flour :sad:

MuadDib Atreides
Apr 22, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

pentyne posted:

Costco needs to borrow a page from Aldi and using those coin locks for carts, because for some reason people will walk across the entire parking lot in the middle of a 95F day with 100% humidity with their empty cart just to get that 25 cents back.

Wtf. Fail levels off the chain here

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Taima posted:

It even comes with spicy chinese mustard and sesame seeds so even just heating it up and eating slices of it OWNS

We eat a ton of that. Most of the time just sliced up and dipped in the mustard, but also cubed and mixed in with yakisoba.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

halokiller posted:

The business center costco I go to always has people filling up vans with bags of chips n crap

Obviously for reselling, gotta be mostly convenience stores I figure. When I'm there I look for .97s. Hope Costco is hurting Cysco a little, their monopoly is extreme!

Rare, but insane deals if you find them. Once found giant Greek yogurts for 1.97

Also, my regular Costco parking lot is never not resembling early Covid insanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical

iroc.dis posted:

Specifically, King Arthur brand flour. Last year my home-baker spouse was ecstatic when she found Costco carried that brand, as it's one of the best for baked goods. When it ran out recently, we went back to get more and found its been replaced by some garbage brand of flour :sad:

It must just be your locations, because I recently bought a giant KA bag of AP flour at mine in Chicago.