Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It read like someone who had worked with him, and maybe got fired for being a psycho idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh man I just got this:

speedball posted:

So here's an important Episode 1 question.

Adams and Lugo says that there's someone watching you, probably, before you reach the signal. While you can see the three guys beneath the sand bus playing dead, do you ever see anyone in the distance or out of the corner of your eyes or anything in the lead-up to that?

There's a ton of details in this game and many are easy for one pair of eyes to miss, so I'm genuinely curious if there's any other people who've seen the mystery Stalkersayswhat

You know who is watching them, of course: the player

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Still throws me for a loop but the little bongos that get introduced to the music when you get a Yoshi in Super Mario World is so great. Just such a wonderful little thing

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

[Bravely] I don't play any battle royale games because I don't like them

The only good Battle Royale game is Tetris 99

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Lambeth posted:

The only good Battle Royale game is Tetris 99

Super Mario 35 sternly disagrees! :colbert:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Didn’t Mario 35 shut down though? I loved that game :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rockman Reserve posted:

Didn’t Mario 35 shut down though? I loved that game :(

Yeah, it sucks. It was the one of those two that I really liked, I don't know why they had to get rid of it.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, it sucks. It was the one of those two that I really liked, I don't know why they had to get rid of it.

Mario Can't Drive 35

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
mario 35 is missing

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yahaha!
Oof.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

SubNat posted:

Yahaha!
Oof.

I hope that when you find Zelda in TOTK she says “Yahaha! You found me!”

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ghost of Tsushima:

It's kind of a love-letter to Kurosawa's movies. There are a lot of (apocryphal) little touches there, but that's besides the point.

Jin (the main character), is guided by the wind. No minimap or overlaid icons here. The leaves, grasses, and trees are blown towards his goal. It's a neat diegetic way to guide him, even if you have to go into the pause menu to double check a lot.

When walking though high grass while standing up, Jin extends his right hand out to feel the grass.

He also has some fun little things going on with facial animation. Not so much in the eyes, but with the mouth:

There's a merchant who swears to the gods he's trying to do better. Jin just looks at him and does the, "Wel-sure-but you aren-ok-this time", lip quivering. Too polite to call him out, but skeptical none the less.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

madeintaipei posted:

does the, "Wel-sure-but you aren-ok-this time", lip quivering.

The what now

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's like that thing when girls put their hair in a ponytail but don't.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

madeintaipei posted:

does the, "Wel-sure-but you aren-ok-this time", lip quivering.

Oh that

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

TontoCorazon posted:

Still throws me for a loop but the little bongos that get introduced to the music when you get a Yoshi in Super Mario World is so great. Just such a wonderful little thing

Similarly, the addition of drums when you're in first place in Mario Kart 8 is a nice touch!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

TontoCorazon posted:

I love, love, love this type of thing in games! Like "NPC is playing an instrument; that instrument gets added to the area music when you approach" and whatnot.

I first realized I loved it when I played Banjo-Kazooie as a kid and was tickled to death at the way the instrumentation for the Grunty's Lair theme changed based on what level entrance you were near. :allears:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Read After Burning posted:

I love, love, love this type of thing in games! Like "NPC is playing an instrument; that instrument gets added to the area music when you approach" and whatnot.

I first realized I loved it when I played Banjo-Kazooie as a kid and was tickled to death at the way the instrumentation for the Grunty's Lair theme changed based on what level entrance you were near. :allears:

There's a bit of that in the Wild West chapter of Live-A-Live. There's a Mariachi trio playing the ambient music for the saloon, and as they leave to go do an assigned task their instrumental part the background music will stop too until there's just nothing with all three out of the room.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
zelda tears of the kingdom update: it's insanely good

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
When I first approached Malon in Ocarina of Time and the background music turned to singing, my child brain went :aaaaa:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just wait until you meet Malon in tears of the kingdom

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a bit of that in the Wild West chapter of Live-A-Live. There's a Mariachi trio playing the ambient music for the saloon, and as they leave to go do an assigned task their instrumental part the background music will stop too until there's just nothing with all three out of the room.
In a similar vein, I like when ambient background music is just that much muted when you're a screen away from it or outside the building where the music is. I know that happens in Lisa the Painful, and definitely other games I can't think of at the moment.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
In Bugsnax, if you’re standing near Wiggle she can sometimes take out her banjo and add it to the towns music theme that plays. It’s a nice detail.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I love games that muffle the music when you go underwater

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Split/Second has some of the best music and sound design I've ever heard in a racing game, the score is reactive, with parts dropping in and out depending on the onscreen action, and changing timbre based on things like going through a tunnel. God I love that game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Last Remnant and Skies of Arcadia have multiple versions of their battle themes that shift in real time depending on how you're doing in the battle. What other games do this?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
If we’re talking about dynamic music, Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds probably has one of the best final dungeon themes in the series, if not the absolute best. It’s not surprising they used it for the trailer of that game.

Also speaking of LBW, I think it’s common knowledge at this point but I still love how Ravio, the shopkeeper that rents out weapons is alternate universe Link, because he wears a rabbit hat and in the original Link to the Past you get turned into a rabbit without the moon orb

Also not a spoiler, but I like how Lynels in BOTW tend not to just immediately attack like every other enemy in the game. It’s probably just done for balance reasons but it still makes them feel more imposing when they just stare at you for a bit before immediately doing tactical missile strikes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I love games that muffle the music when you go underwater

On the flipside of this I've never liked the more recent 3D Sonic games muffling the audio when you Go Fast, because the music's generally great and you want to listen to it while Going Fast.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
They should do a doppler on the sonic music instead

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Tears Of The Kingdom will read your BOTW save data and lets you ride the horses you registered way back then. Sadly upon further research that's the only thing that carries over, but still a nice feature.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

grittyreboot posted:

Tears Of The Kingdom will read your BOTW save data and lets you ride the horses you registered way back then.

Huh, guess I never got around to registering a horse on my last save because horses are garbage in BotW :c00lbert::supaburn::hellyeah:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

grittyreboot posted:

Tears Of The Kingdom will read your BOTW save data and lets you ride the horses you registered way back then. Sadly upon further research that's the only thing that carries over, but still a nice feature.

They also accounted for Ganon's horse being larger than the typical horses; It can't equip the tow harness.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I found some explosive barrels in Tears of The Kingdom and decided to fuse them together and bring them with me and drop them on some bokoblins.

I blew myself up 2 minutes later because I dropped them from too great a height.

10/10 great game

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh, guess I never got around to registering a horse on my last save because horses are garbage in BotW :c00lbert::supaburn::hellyeah:

True, but at least I can get my nice horse with good speed and stamina as opposed to the garbage starter horses they placed around Hyrule Field.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This thread is gonna be 20 pages of tears of the kingdom, the game is a masterpiece and basically just a bunch of fused together little things. The entire fusion mechanic already is such a fantastic addition, and what makes botw in general such a joy is that instead of complex and tricky mechanics they provide super simple features and let the players go hogwild with the physics.

My personal little thing right now is how again exploration is rewarded at every corner. Just outside of the first post tutorial city I found a freaky gigantic hole in the ground with red poison mist around it. because this is botw I immediately jumped in and discovered there's an entire underground map as well as the sky one :psyduck: . The caverns are full of ressources, difficult enemies and most importantly poison spots that hurt you when you go over them, so it's tricky to navigate. I also found skeleton horses that I could mount, and since they're not living they can move over that stuff unharmed! The little thing about this is all of this was instinctively what I wanted to do once discovering each part and it immediately rewarded me at every turn.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just finished the Scholar path in Octopath Traveller 1 and they have some really satisfying conclusions to some of the stories. The Thief ending was super satisfying as the villain's entire empire crumbles as after his defeat his subordinates betray and murder him, because he built his empire on treating people like pawns so the only people to stick by him were people with the same philosophy and the Scholar's villain has an amazing line read on their "ENOUGH!" because it's not the standard way that is normally exclaimed, they genuinely sound frustrated, it really sounds like they're being like "JUST SHUT THE gently caress UP ALREADY YOU MORON!"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Son of Rodney posted:

This thread is gonna be 20 pages of tears of the kingdom, the game is a masterpiece and basically just a bunch of fused together little things. The entire fusion mechanic already is such a fantastic addition, and what makes botw in general such a joy is that instead of complex and tricky mechanics they provide super simple features and let the players go hogwild with the physics.

My personal little thing right now is how again exploration is rewarded at every corner. Just outside of the first post tutorial city I found a freaky gigantic hole in the ground with red poison mist around it. because this is botw I immediately jumped in and discovered there's an entire underground map as well as the sky one :psyduck: . The caverns are full of ressources, difficult enemies and most importantly poison spots that hurt you when you go over them, so it's tricky to navigate. I also found skeleton horses that I could mount, and since they're not living they can move over that stuff unharmed! The little thing about this is all of this was instinctively what I wanted to do once discovering each part and it immediately rewarded me at every turn.

Rip your time

Now you'll have to go and do that all over again once you get the quest which also unlocks the camera

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
The chasm is a genuinely unsettling place, for me. Was playing it last night in a poorly lit room and man, I was tensed as hell. The stark, white lighting, things shifting in shadows cast by lights miles away, the background 'music' that has no tune, its really quite alien to the rest of the game.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I noticed that Link will sometimes hum a bit when he’s cooking. I heard him hum a bit of Saria’s Song and I believe also the Song of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I heard zeldas lullaby so I'm glad I'm not imagining things