Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

So I've reached the first dungeon... can you ever come back? I don't have the treasure radar yet and I wanna all the chests.

For anyone who wishes to know, you can. Some gimmicks will be disabled but you can still explore if you wish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Somebody dropped an Apple farming site

I dunno if it’s the same one but

-1978, -0357, 0224

Tons of golden ones too

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 13, 2023

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Please post crazy creations ITT.

Extremely mild, but I got stuck on the circular floating island with the Construct Core thing. I had thought I'd bring the floating platform you use to get onto it over to use as cover during the fight, but right at the start the construct grabbed it and chucked it far enough in the air I couldn't reach it with Ultrahand.

After beating the construct I pondered this for a moment, then used Ascend to get on top. Pondered another moment, then got one of those fan capsules out of my inventory, stuck the fan on on the floating platform, and motored my way across the tutoral area straight for the Time Temple thing I'd been trying to reach for ages.

I'm really loving all the lateral thinking you can use for puzzles, reminds me a bit of Baba Is You (an excellent, goon-made game).

Johnny Postnemonic
Apr 27, 2023

I want to get online...
I need to post!

Steve Yun posted:

If you’re bragging about having the best hat and this isn’t it:

Then it ain’t it.

gonna come out and say it, this hat looks like poo poo. :colbert:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Khanstant posted:

lmao amiibo spoiler:

lmao

Selane
May 19, 2006

Loading Screen Tip: "Did you know there's a whatsit in every cave?"

Me: Heh, if that's true, then they should have had the map keep track of which ones you did already :smug:

*Checks map and it actually does keep track*

All right, you win this round Nintendo.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Tei posted:

I don't find then all that neccesary, but sure are usefull. Except the radar thing that is super annoying.
I mean the glider.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Khanstant posted:

lmao amiibo spoiler:

:haibrow:

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Picking up my copy on Monday and have so far not read reviews; what are people's opinions on it so far? Is it trying to incorporate (successfully) more of the Zelda themes that were missing BOtW, or is it literally BOTW 2.0?

I'm not unhappy either way, just hoping for more/actual dungeons, bosses and enemy types etc.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Enjoying the game so far. However, it's a bit peculiar that some of the shrines are accessible before obtaining the necessary tools to solve them, specifically the Tsutsu-um shrine. Which I believe is impossible without the paraglider. This is not something we experienced in Breath of the Wild, so it's a bit of a departure from the norm.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It has more/actual dungeons, bosses and enemy types.

And ect.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Game seems fun so far but man this resolution it's going to take some getting used to after playing so many 4k 60fps ps5 games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So do you have any actual moves you can do in this game or is it just the 4-hit combo, perfect dodge and rapid strike, charged attack, throwing weapon and sneak attack options you had in BotW?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

RickRogers posted:

Picking up my copy on Monday and have so far not read reviews; what are people's opinions on it so far? Is it trying to incorporate (successfully) more of the Zelda themes that were missing BOtW, or is it literally BOTW 2.0?

I'm not unhappy either way, just hoping for more/actual dungeons, bosses and enemy types etc.

The new mechanics are wonderful and have an impressive amount of depth to them. The mind boggles at all the stupid insane things you can do with them

The additions to the map are pretty massive and I haven’t felt like the reuse of the old main map have cramped it much

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

So do you have any actual moves you can do in this game or is it just the 4-hit combo, perfect dodge and rapid strike, charged attack, throwing weapon and sneak attack options you had in BotW?

From what I have seen in ~5 hours the combat is identical to BotW.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RareAcumen posted:

Melee seems to be exactly the same

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I want to see someone explore the entire depths only using the tiny glow from the mining suit

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just when I think I’ve seen everything the building system has to offer a shrine introduces a new Zonai device.

Kinda bummed that Zonai wings disappear after a while of gliding. Dunno if that still applies if you strap other stuff to it though

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I cook a dish and see the recipes are the same and mutter out loud to myself, "I don't know if there's going to be that same joy of discovery." Then I take two steps into a nearby cave and the screen flashes "Discovery!" like it was listening.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Asking any goons who followed the chasm beneath where Hyrule Castle stood: Is the D___ K____ A____ part of the main quest? I warped out after dying trying to tackle that

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Centusin posted:

I want to see someone explore the entire depths only using the tiny glow from the mining suit

Having flashbacks to the grave of the giants in Dark Souls

Edit: tomb of giants. My brain tried to forget what it was called to protect itself

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 13, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

So one tip for people frustrated with the bullseye puzzles you have to hit with a ball. Note: it will ruin most of these puzzles.

Bomb arrows have enough strenght to activate them if in range.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Ascend is such a simple and amazing ability that it must have taken so much effort to design the game around without it being a sequence breaking monster.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Centusin posted:

This has legit been me going around unlocking a ton of the roots down there. Found the chest piece relatively early and have unlocked about 1/4 of the map down there with mostly just some luck and the small amount of light that gives off.

Unrelated, but drat, game is full of opportunities for your own personal magic moments. For various reasons, i'm heading to the tower in Lanayru and while I was thinking how much of a pain the climb was, the local dragon popped out of a nearby chasm, and because I knew about the changes to the dragons this game, I was able to quickly sprint up to it, grab on and ride the dragon up the mountain.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I only just started, but Nintendo is already making me feel like a genius with Ultrahand.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

mcmagic posted:

I kinda forgot how annoying the whole controls situation was in BoTW.............

You can remap buttons systemwide in Switch or customize controls in an emulator, that's what I do. I had to switch A and B because OK and cancel are hardwired in my brain opposite and I prefer sprinting with the right button. I tried using the top button for OK and using the bottom for jump for a while because I thought I'd want jump more accessible, but I can get used to jump on the top and it's nicer to have OK in the regular position.

For some reason the shoulder buttons and d-pad are what hang me up the most, I don't feel like they need rebinding but it feels clunky when I'm trying to quickly switch weapons or powers in the middle of some sequence. But I remember from BOTW that it starts getting easier once you use them more frequently.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I really want to love this - I loved BOTW. But it feels like they’ve hacked the difficulty up to an insane degree and the game just feels like overtly hostile in a way the first one didn’t.

Everything kills you in like two hits, max. Every action takes like 8 button presses. Every time I turn a corner there’s some loving horror ready to tear me a new rear end in a top hat.

Like I appreciate maybe Aonuma wanted to make Nintendo dark souls or whatever but it doesn’t really feel much like a Zelda game anymore.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

VanillaGorilla posted:

I really want to love this - I loved BOTW. But it feels like they’ve hacked the difficulty up to an insane degree and the game just feels like overtly hostile in a way the first one didn’t.

Everything kills you in like two hits, max. Every action takes like 8 button presses. Every time I turn a corner there’s some loving horror ready to tear me a new rear end in a top hat.

Like I appreciate maybe Aonuma wanted to make Nintendo dark souls or whatever but it doesn’t really feel much like a Zelda game anymore.

If you're approaching combat like you did in BOTW you're gonna get wrecked. If you use your new tools then it's super easy, and actually feels more Zelda-like than every "spin-to-win" fight in BOTW.
I don't know what you're fighting that's killing you in 2 hits other than world bosses either

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
If you feel it's tough (and you're out of the tutorial area) you might be in the wrong area, or encountered side content for later. Also if you haven't bought the armor set in the first town, do that. And get a few shrines in the surrounding area ASAP to get an extra heart or two.

(But yes, the game is harder than BOTW)

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If you're approaching combat like you did in BOTW you're gonna get wrecked. If you use your new tools then it's super easy, and actually feels more Zelda-like than every "spin-to-win" fight in BOTW.
I don't know what you're fighting that's killing you in 2 hits other than world bosses either

Black bokoblins can wipe your full 5 heart health bar in a single attack, if you go the wrong way and encounter them.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 13, 2023

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

VanillaGorilla posted:

It seems about the same to me as the start of BOTW did. That game was incredibly hostile when you had three hearts and no equipment.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So how do you use the Zonai Wing exactly? Is it really just place at edge and jump on before it falls off?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Electric Phantasm posted:

So how do you use the Zonai Wing exactly? Is it really just place at edge and jump on before it falls off?

Put it on a track.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

stev posted:

Put it on a track.

Thank you, but drat it this mean I can't use the ones I have in my inventory to fly back to Lookout Landing from Hyrule Castle.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

RickRogers posted:

It is very much BOTW 2.0. There are more enemies and a lot more stuff to do, but the game's structure is a near 1 to 1 mapping.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Thank you, but drat it this mean I can't use the ones I have in my inventory to fly back to Lookout Landing from Hyrule Castle.

If you have a drop in front of you and are just trying to get it off the ground, try Ultrahand + Recall. It's a combo that opens up a lot more possibilities of automated movement.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Rewind remembers ultrahand movement. Just find a cliff and hold it over the edge for a few seconds then rewind and jump on.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Such as?

Seriously. I’m having fun but I’m getting my rear end kicked every other fight. I’m just not good at this kind of thinking…

At least it’s forcing me to finally get good at perfect dodges and flurry rushing. I need some advice for doing cool poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ror posted:

If you have a drop in front of you and are just trying to get it off the ground, try Ultrahand + Recall. It's a combo that opens up a lot more possibilities of automated movement.

CJ posted:

Rewind remembers ultrahand movement. Just find a cliff and hold it over the edge for a few seconds then rewind and jump on.

Woah :eyepop:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My only weird controller thing is I keep holding L when I want to change weapons and keep holding right on the d pad when I want to change powers. I don't know why I keep doing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

VanillaGorilla posted:

I'm near the end game and that poo poo still happens to me. It probably didn't help that i did two anomalies back to back early on and then it started spawning end game upgraded enemies.

The damage formula is still additive so if you upgrade your armour you can eventually get to the point where nothing hurts you. The great fairy is NW from lookout landing, Woodside Stable.

If you are looking for a good armour set go back to that bunker in lookout landing after you do an anomaly (i think that's the trigger).

As for combat advice, the zonaite and common enemy drops with point bits o nthem are there for making your weapons do damage. In the menu +damage is one of the sort options. I think it's pretty obvious which ones you should fuse and which ones you should save for upgrading.

A simple cheese weapon is a spear with an electric thing fused to the end. It will stun enemies and usually make them drop their weapon so they to go pick it back up.